Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Rape

Options
  • 01-03-2012 3:51am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭


    Would you report it?



«134567

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC


    Most don't, i reckon I'd offer a bj then like, bite their ****ing dicks off. But then, that's what the rabbis said they'd do if someone like Hitler came along and look what happened there.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri


    If report means cry into my pillow to stifle my sobs then yes, I would report it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991


    Man on woman rape: Immediate sentence.

    Man on man rape: Meh. Who cares.

    Woman on man and woman on woman rape:



    Edit: I got lost in my attempt to show myself out.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red


    Some useful info for survivors of male rape here: http://www.xris.com/survivor/msa/
    I also strongly recommend all men watch Liam McGrath's excellent documentary 'Male Rape' in Ireland if you can get a chance to see it.
    As for the OP's question, would I report it? Yes I would, in either of two circumstances - firstly, if I had no idea who had assaulted me, and secondly after I had found and murdered the person(s) who had assaulted me.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina


    But sure if I reported they'd catch me wouldn't they?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri


    RichieC wrote: »
    Most don't, i reckon I'd offer a bj then like, bite their ****ing dicks off. But then, that's what the rabbis said they'd do if someone like Hitler came along and look what happened there.

    Jesus, :eek:, your meant to be being raped and what you come out with is:
    RichieC wrote: »
    i reckon I'd offer a bj


    You don't offer people sexual gratification when you're being raped, it's sort of oxymoronical. Or is rape just your excuse?:rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan


    Serious answer: Rape is rape no matter who is forcing it they should be reported.


  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan


    Male rape has never been taken seriously and will never be taken seriously by society.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare


    That scene in Malcolm X is seriously horrific - would it only be men that don't take man rape seriously?
    Is it like you have an image in your head of some hot ass blonde from a porno "raping" you and you're like "Noooo, noooo.....okay, yes!"?
    Y'know like the idea that if your girlfriend announced that she's a lesbian and you don't mind because in your mind you're thinking "Yay, Threesome!" until you see the reality and it's you alone with your new girlfriend "Righty le Hand".


  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat


    i got raped once, was drunk and im not very big, i didnt report it and it didnt bother me just made sure not to be in a similar situation again.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent


    Man on woman rape: Immediate sentence.

    Man on man rape: Meh. Who cares.

    Woman on man and woman on woman rape:

    (Snipped -- overused South Park clip)

    This post makes me sad.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent


    joshrogan wrote: »
    Male rape has never been taken seriously and will never be taken seriously by society.

    Why won't it be? Great steps have been taken to ensure domestic violence against men is taken seriously so why not male rape?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri


    Millicent wrote: »
    Why won't it be? Great steps have been taken to ensure domestic violence against men is taken seriously so why not male rape?

    Because of males.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent


    Sindri wrote: »
    Because of males.

    I think you are making a joke, Sindri (at least I hope you are). Any man who would judge another man or denigrate him because he has been raped is a fucking eejit and is hopefully very much in the minority.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate


    I'd probably report if I got raped by a man but how the hell do I of sound mind and many muscles get raped by a female?
    I've never head of an actual case being tried for male rape in Ireland which would suggest that reporting is a taboo


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible


    heate wrote: »
    I'd probably report if I got raped by a man but how the hell do I of sound mind and many muscles get raped by a female?
    I've never head of an actual case being tried for male rape in Ireland which would suggest that reporting is a taboo

    I think it's man on man most people are talking about.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri


    Millicent wrote: »
    I think you are making a joke, Sindri (at least I hope you are). Any man who would judge another man or denigrate him because he has been raped is a fucking eejit and is hopefully very much in the minority.

    I agree, but the problem is men's attitude towards male rape, and it's not in the minority.

    First you're more than likely being sodomised, against your will, something that would make anyone uncomfortable.

    Secondly, rape is about dominance, and a male is going to be uncomfortable after being dominated.

    Textbook behaviour from a victim of male rape is usually starting fights against innocent people.

    And ye know, men don't talk about this sort of thing.


  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie


    heate wrote: »
    I'd probably report if I got raped by a man but how the hell do I of sound mind and many muscles get raped by a female?
    I've never head of an actual case being tried for male rape in Ireland which would suggest that reporting is a taboo

    Im 18st and a prop in Rugby so I reckon I can handle myself.
    Last weekend one of the guys wives who is about 6ft 4 and built like a tank lifted me off the ground by wrapping just one arm around me.

    That woman would have no problem what so ever!!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent


    Sindri wrote: »
    I agree, but the problem is men's attitude towards male rape, and it's not in the minority.

    First you're more than likely being sodomised, against your will, something that would make anyone uncomfortable.

    Secondly, rape is about dominance, and a male is going to be uncomfortable after being dominated.

    Textbook behaviour from a victim of male rape is usually starting fights against innocent people.

    And ye know, men don't talk about this sort of thing.

    Fair points and it is apparent here sometimes when stupid clips like that "Nice!" clip are played whenever there's a case of a man or boy being sexually abused in any way.

    That said, that lets men who don't take this crime seriously off the hook too easily. It starts with people refusing to accept comments or behaviour like that from others. Anyone who would make light of rape would automatically lower my opinion of them, as it should any person with any degree of compassion.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus


    yammycat wrote: »
    i got raped once, was drunk and im not very big, i didnt report it and it didnt bother me just made sure not to be in a similar situation again.

    Sorry to hear that.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam




  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus


    Sindri wrote: »
    I agree, but the problem is men's attitude towards male rape, and it's not in the minority.

    First you're more than likely being sodomised, against your will, something that would make anyone uncomfortable.

    Secondly, rape is about dominance, and a male is going to be uncomfortable after being dominated.

    Textbook behaviour from a victim of male rape is usually starting fights against innocent people.

    And ye know, men don't talk about this sort of thing.

    Could you imagine a man telling his mates he was raped? Or directly to men on here could you imagine telling your friends you were raped?

    It's hard enough when you're a woman for one reason that would be the same for men, but there are further reasons I'd say men would find it night on impossible to talk about:
    Telling people that they're raped, they would worry (I would imagine) people will think they're: gay, not a real man, a cissy /pussy, a wimp for being overpowered/ lose face amongst their friends.

    So I think it would be very very hard for a man to talk about.

    It's hard for anyone to talk about. The reason in common that I was referring to earlier is that: you don't want to tell people because you know they'll be thinking of you sexually. You know if you tell some-one, immediately they'll be thinking about a sexual act happening to you, and it's very hard, it feels like an intrusion.

    Imagine you hear a girl has been raped, isn't the first thought that goes through your mind an image of her being raped, (however fleeting).

    Well if you've been sexually assaulted when you go to tell people, you know that they're going to be picturing you, and so it's very very hard, which is why most people bottle it up and never tell their friends, let alone report it.

    But then if you don't tell anyone it's just as bad because you're in your own world of suffering and no-one knows why. So it's a very, very hard time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9


    Sindri wrote: »
    I agree, but the problem is men's attitude towards male rape, and it's not in the minority.

    First you're more than likely being sodomised, against your will, something that would make anyone uncomfortable.

    Secondly, rape is about dominance, and a male is going to be uncomfortable after being dominated.

    Textbook behaviour from a victim of male rape is usually starting fights against innocent people.

    And ye know, men don't talk about this sort of thing.


    Well f*ck dominance or being uncomfortable or talking about it.

    I'd hope a victim would be able to report and be supported..

    Probably be called gay or other such nonsense but those are the stereotypes to break down.

    Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri


    Millicent wrote: »
    Fair points and it is apparent here sometimes when stupid clips like that "Nice!" clip are played whenever there's a case of a man or boy being sexually abused in any way.

    That said, that lets men who don't take this crime seriously off the hook too easily. It starts with people refusing to accept comments or behaviour like that from others. Anyone who would make light of rape would automatically lower my opinion of them, as it should any person with any degree of compassion.

    I agree.

    I was lucky that in 4th wear we were given a talk about rape.

    The lady covered child abuse, rape, male rape and the inadequacy of our judicial system in.

    Because of this I take rape very seriously. Rape is worse than murder. When you murder someone you decide to take someone's life and that's it. When you rape someone you take their life and give it back to them corrupted. You destroy their soul. It directly impacts someone's self efficacy at life itself, which is one of the most heinous crimes imaginable. You invade their body and contaminate it. And the person is asked to live after this!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GrafenPills


    1, Dave Chappelle is one of the best comedians out there.
    2, although wasnt meant to be a joke there is an 'animal' in everyone.
    3, his "joke" about male rape since 7 have come forward? yes. he is right. alot of men havent also come forward. So its a hell of a lot more than 7.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard


    Sindri wrote: »
    Rape is worse than murder. When you murder someone you decide to take someone's life and that's it. When you rape someone you take their life and give it back to them corrupted. You destroy their soul. It directly impacts someone's self efficacy at life itself, which is one of the most heinous crimes imaginable. You invade their body and contaminate it. And the person is asked to live after this!

    Dont agree with this at all. Although for some victims, perhaps it does affect them in such a way that they may feel suicidal.

    I have had this discussion with some friends previously. Turns out that two of the girls in the group had been raped before. Both of them said they felt that the emotions they felt were nothing like they had expected. For both of them, and I believe them, said the worst part was having to deal with the few people that found out about it, because they were the ones making the big fuss over them, constantly looking out for them and enquiring if they were ok. They wished they had not told anyone because as far as they were concerned, it was just like being mugged for property. An awful experience, but something you just deal with and put behind you as best you can. In fact, one of the girls actually displayed quite a bit of contempt for me when I said that not everyone would be as strong mentally as she was, and that being raped could ruin some peoples lives. She didnt hide her disgust for that, stating that they were pathetic attention seekers and how was it all that bad. She said it didnt make her mistrust men in general, but that she was much more careful in the situation she allowed herself to be in.

    Its obviously different for everyone, but to say its worse than murder and state its worse to have such a corrupted life back at all, is the kind of hysterical response that these girls detested. When you say it destroys your soul, what on earth are you talking about, what is a soul? I dont mean that in a partonising way, but if youre going to have a serious discussion, then at least keep it factual. To help you understand what I mean, I enquired as to the definition of a soul. This is the definition "A soul is Divine energy, a little piece of God within you. Your inner identity, your raison d'être". You see what I mean? Soul.....ridiculous.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991


    Millicent wrote: »
    This post makes me sad.
    That's what I get for not being able to show myself out.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri


    djrichard wrote: »
    Dont agree with this at all. Although for some victims, perhaps it does affect them in such a way that they may feel suicidal.

    I have had this discussion with some friends previously. Turns out that two of the girls in the group had been raped before. Both of them said they felt that the emotions they felt were nothing like they had expected. For both of them, and I believe them, said the worst part was having to deal with the few people that found out about it, because they were the ones making the big fuss over them, constantly looking out for them and enquiring if they were ok. They wished they had not told anyone because as far as they were concerned, it was just like being mugged for property. An awful experience, but something you just deal with and put behind you as best you can. In fact, one of the girls actually displayed quite a bit of contempt for me when I said that not everyone would be as strong mentally as she was, and that being raped could ruin some peoples lives. She didnt hide her disgust for that, stating that they were pathetic attention seekers and how was it all that bad. She said it didnt make her mistrust men in general, but that she was much more careful in the situation she allowed herself to be in.

    Its obviously different for everyone, but to say its worse than murder
    djrichard wrote: »
    and state its worse to have such a corrupted life back at all,
    I didn't say that.
    djrichard wrote: »
    is the kind of hysterical response that these girls detested.
    I'm sorry but it's not really hysterical.

    Do you not think it's possible their attitude was influenced by being raped, and their attitide was a coping mechanism? Because what you describe seems to correspond to fairly common attitudes held by those who have been raped.
    djrichard wrote: »
    When you say it destroys your soul, what on earth are you talking about, what is a soul? I dont mean that in a partonising way, but if youre going to have a serious discussion, then at least keep it factual. To help you understand what I mean, I enquired as to the definition of a soul. This is the definition "A soul is Divine energy, a little piece of God within you. Your inner identity, your raison d'être". You see what I mean? Soul.....ridiculous.

    Soul? It was poetic licence, :), but I thought my use of it was explained by the sentence directly proceeding it:
    Sindri wrote: »
    It directly impacts someone's self efficacy at life itself, which is one of the most heinous crimes imaginable.

    There are many more definitions to soul any way. Look a little harder. :)

    Conversely that heinous crime can be committed by bullying as well, just to put it into context. Undermine someone's belief in their capable to cope to life and in themselves. Because what that does is, when it is internalised, is a person, by default, perceives themselves to be inadequate. And thus they belief their life to be inadequate, and so then it is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG


    If I was raped by a woman I would certainly report it. Not necessarily because of the impact it would have on me but I would want it to be known that not only men are capable of such a vile attack.

    If I were raped by a man I can guarantee that for his own sake he'd be as well off to kill me afterwards.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard


    Sindri wrote: »

    Do you not think it's possible their attitude was influenced by being raped, and their attitide was a coping mechanism? Because what you describe seems to correspond to fairly common attitudes held by those who have been raped.


    Conversely that heinous crime can be committed by bullying as well, just to put it into context. Undermine someone's belief in their capable to cope to life and in themselves. Because what that does is, when it is internalised, is a person, by default, perceives themselves to be inadequate. And thus they belief their life to be inadequate, and so then it is.

    Anything is possible, I certainly am no expert in the field of psychology. In fact, I question a lot of the so called experts in psychology on a lot of matters. They could have been using it as a coping mechanism, however, I dont believe they were. What I am an expert in, is interacting with people and reading them. Im in sales and its what I do every single day, in fact we are all pretty much experts at reading people as its part of life. Hiding things is also a part of life and Ive become very skilled at being able to tell when Im being lied to, or if someone is hiding something.

    I dont believe the girls were hiding anything at all, I just dont think they were overly affected by it. They didnt allow it to overburden them. One of them gave me an example of a few people she knew who had been physically hurt by their partners. I dont mean a long term abuse situation, just some partners who had lost control in whatever situation and had ended up hitting them to varying degrees. I guess a lot of people have experienced that. Those women didnt hate men, they didnt now mistrust them, they just learned to watch out for signs of a potentially violent partner. It seemed that they had just accepted that some men do these things, there is little they can do to stop it if in that situation, but they are aware of how to reduce the chances of it happening again.

    Its typical of people who either think they are psychologists, or are indeed psychologists, to over analyse everything they see and hear. They cannot accept a response such as "Its not really that big a deal, Im over it". They feel they must delve deeper, get to the bottom of this thing and fix the problem. They assume that response is simply a "coping mechanism" and a way for them to block out the pain, but that its actually locked away down there, deep down in their soul eating away at them, doing untold irrepairable damage to them, unless its somehow forced to the fore, to be faced with and dealt with as they see fit. "Dont block it out, you wont get over this until you face your fears!".

    Its rather rude of me for saying this, and I do apologise. Im sure it wont bother you too much as you will simply assume Im naive and dismiss my comment as ill-informed, but I think the vast majority of time I hear this kind of talk I think its generally a load of utter ****e thats been learned from the pages of some equally misguided book.


Advertisement