Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated phrases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Alice1 wrote: »
    What is "low hanging fruit"? (I may regret asking this)

I means the easier more obvious tasks in a situation.

similar to cherry picking ( I Think).

I think the idea is that you leave the harder to do stuff to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I thought low-hanging fruit meant the easy option or something handy.

Dislikes:
    Politicians using "for the last number of days/weeks/months/years" - What is the last number? Infinity?

This point/moment in time.

"Presently", when they mean "at present".

Teenage-speak with "like" after every second word.

"More nor likely" instead of "more than likely".

And most previous posts - haven't time to "like" them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I prefer a boke. A good boke

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

"That's for me to know, and for you to find out"

Usually said by arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"As a mother..."

"If you had kids yourself you'd understand."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

"the day that's in it"
    "...you know what I mean"
    "come here til I tell ya"

"reverse racism" WTF is that??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Rangi wrote: »
    "reverse racism" WTF is that??
    White guilt, maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Hate when pat kenny says 'pig in a poke' he loves to use that phrase

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kevjob

For me it's....

"Back in the day".............

Even more so when said by a 20 something twat.

Really, where did it come from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

kevjob wrote: »
    For me it's....

"Back in the day".............

Even more so when said by a 20 something twat.

Really, where did it come from!
    It came from back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

''.....then I took an arrow to the knee'' , and ''schtoreeeeeee???'' :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

You're lucky you have a job. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

OneArt wrote: »
    "You can't have your cake and eat it."

Wtf? That's the whole point of cake. If I can't eat it I don't want anything to do with it, let alone have it!

I know it means you can't have everything but it's a stupid phrase.

'Have' in this context is synonymous with 'preserve'; you can't both preserve the cake and eat the cake, you have a choice of one or the other.

'You can't have things both ways' is a more closely related phrase than 'you can't have everything'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    ''.....then I took an arrow to the knee'' , and ''schtoreeeeeee???'' :mad::mad::mad:

The former phrase is just a meme, it should die out quickly. Can't see the latter dying out any time soon though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Any person (girl) who feels the need to constantly tell everyone 'OMG I'm hannnginnnn!' on a schoolday. Wow, you're really cool.

'Hate's a very strong word'. No it's not, and now I hate you.

And anyone who says 'lol' or 'O.M.G'.

Or when I'm waiting at a bus stop that only one bus stops at, and someone comes asking 'has the bus come yet?'. Yes, I'm just standing here admiring the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

You know, like, you know. Like. You know....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

mikemac1 wrote: »
    "hubbie"
    Just pass me the sick bag

If you don't say darling daughter or darling son then why you type DD or DS?
    Thankfully boards.ie crack down on this

I couldnt agree more

also when friend wives.gf's describe them as sexy or romantic
    **** off - i've seen him passed out drunk in a pool of his own piss - he is not sexy

I know you married him - but stop telling me he is sexy

Creeping- This phrase seems to have exploded from Tallafornia. Im going creeping tonight-- it means Im going out on the pull. But now people creeped some bird or creeped two fellas in the jax. There are girls that have had men try to creep them . Please boards ban this phrase before it becomes as prevalent as a smiley face symbol:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I'm getting a bit fed up with the overuse of the word "stunning". Everytime some moron uploads a pic of herself on fb (usually for attention)the comments will ALWAYS contain this word, even if its actually a crap pic *ahem*. not sure why it irritates me so much, it's possibly just because it's become the default compliment word and the overuse renders it meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Love2love wrote: »
    I hate HATE HATE when you someone ask "Are you alright?" and they say "No, I'm half left" like its the funniest thing they ever said. Its just f*cking annoying

Thankfully I have never heard this.
    bfocusd wrote: »
    Lad I worked with used the word redundant for everything!

It started around '08 and everyone was on edge when that word was mentioned, little did they realise it was his pen that was redundant! Or an old document was redundant, even his coffee was redundant!

He's still saying it now, no one listens any more. Plus he might be the redundant one soon enough!

He sounds funny. :D
    danslevent wrote: »
    When people call vegetables "veg" or all crisps as tayto.

Also, "Take a chill pill" It just gets me even more annoyed!

Relax the kacks Dan.
    "As a mother..."

"If you had kids yourself you'd understand."

Speaking as a parent...
    brummytom wrote: »
    Any person (girl) who feels the need to constantly tell everyone 'OMG I'm hannnginnnn!' on a schoolday. Wow, you're really cool.

'Hate's a very strong word'. No it's not, and now I hate you.

And anyone who says 'lol' or 'O.M.G'.

Or when I'm waiting at a bus stop that only one bus stops at, and someone comes asking 'has the bus come yet?'. Yes, I'm just standing here admiring the traffic.

:D

The 'N' word, the 'f' word. The 'c' word. They are just words you cunt. Oh don't say that word around me, go **** yourself.

'Rock and roll', especially when said by that Justin Lee something retard who somehow has a job as a presenter on tv, actually anything he says is incredibly annoying.

'Rafter' - shut up.

'Cali' meaning California. Cali is a place, it's not on the West Coast of America.

'a few brewskies' - you are a cunt.

'Ireland INC'.

And lastly (for the moment but) but not least: Diaspora. I used to hear this word about once a year until last year, now I hear it once a week. I don't give a **** about the 'diaspora' and it's time to find a few alternative words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭cheekita

I can't stand hearing the phrase 'I'll facebook ya'. So I'm standing in front of you and you aren't going to tell me something but you'll tell me on facebook??? Get a life will ya? Hence one of the reasons I closed my facebook account, now ya have to tell me!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

The former phrase is just a meme, it should die out quickly. Can't see the latter dying out any time soon though. :(

it was apparently taken from Skyrim, soon after it came out nearly every youtube video I watched had many users commenting ''blah blah blah then I/he/she took an arrow to the knee'' The same was true on many other websites and then came up on urban dictionary. The phrase was overused and drove me fcuking nuts every time I saw it. :mad:

with ''schtorreeeee??'', I usually hear it off some scumbag talking to one of their mates,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

"you get these and I'll sort you out later"

Yea Right !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Des wrote: »
    Culchies calling all crisps "taytos"

Dubs calling crisps "crips". What the hell like?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

" at the end of the day" used to explain something thats supposedly fact . what a crappy phrase . Guy at work uses the line I would say 30 times a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

stinkle wrote: »
    I'm getting a bit fed up with the overuse of the word "stunning". Everytime some moron uploads a pic of herself on fb (usually for attention)the comments will ALWAYS contain this word, even if its actually a crap pic *ahem*. not sure why it irritates me so much, it's possibly just because it's become the default compliment word and the overuse renders it meaningless.

You reminded me of another one- STUNNA !:mad:

oh your some stunna in that pic girl!

Just say Stunner ... jesus drop the A and add ER

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

When someone in an arguement on boards writes "Now run along.." followed by this smiley,:rolleyes: As if they are arguing with a child. You sound like a child yourself if you do this. It's like writing something and then at the end type in 'FACT' because you cant stand the fact that someone has a different opinion to you. Whoever does this, you know who you are. And I hate you.

Anyway..

When someone in an arguement on boards writes "Now run along.." followed by this smiley,:rolleyes: As if they are arguing with a child. You sound like a child yourself if you do this. It's like writing something and then at the end type in 'FACT' because you cant stand the fact that someone has a different opinion to you. Whoever does this, you know who you are. And I hate you.

Anyway..

You are wrong - fact
    Now run along:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Class!

Some people constantly use it and it does my head in!

"She's class!"
    "that was class!"

etc etc, hate it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I hate the use of the word 'retard' to describe someone that does something stupid. I always have and always will.

'At the end of the day', as already mentioned, is another pet hate. I always think it is said by really thick people that are struggling to get their point across, so they throw in 'at th end of the day' to finish the sentence before they could slip up. :D

Advertisement