Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated phrases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

rgmmg wrote: »

"Can I help you?" having just walked into a shop. If I want your help I'll ask for it.

"yeah you have a look around and i'll wait outside" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nottherealdeal

"I'm off to the jacks/bog"

Uggh makes my blood boil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr Expired

"Roll her in flour and go for the wet patch"

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

When people call vegetables "veg" or all crisps as tayto.

Also, "Take a chill pill" It just gets me even more annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

mikemac1 wrote: »
    "hubbie"
    Just pass me the sick bag

If you don't say darling daughter or darling son then why you type DD or DS?
    Thankfully boards.ie crack down on this

Jesus that wrecks my head too. I cringe when I read it.
    byte wrote: »
    "What's crack-a-lackin?"

I dunno where that phrase came from, but it really is annoying.

I have never heard that before in my life!!
    Soz = Sorry :confused: just say sorry you d1ckhead

A student that I teach said "soz" to me one day. Flippin SOZ. I didn't know whether to scream or cry.
    Dr Expired wrote: »
    "Roll her in flour and go for the wet patch"

What the hell?! Again, never heard that one.

My most HATED phrase is "Fail" or "Epic Fail". Drives me insane.

And also this new thing where teenage girls spell words really weirdly like "I luf yhuu hunni, yhuu r so gawrjus, i ken tell yhuu neting"... What is that about??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

"tarring everyone with the same brush". I despise that saying.

Seems to be used every 10 mins on this site, cant you think of anything else to say that describes it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

cocoshovel wrote: »
    "tarring everyone with the same brush". I despise that saying.

Seems to be used every 10 mins on this site, cant you think of anything else to say that describes it?

"Blasting everyone with the same piss?"

I've never seen anything like that around here.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Culchies calling all crisps "taytos"

"A package of king taytos please horse"

retards.

Anything "out" - another culchie-ism, it doesn't even mean anything, and marks the person who uses the phrase as one to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

And the classic (though haven't had the sack to say it yet!)

" I buried my father two weeks ago"

Oh, you are an undertaker or gravedigger now are you?

Just as a bit of a precautionary tale, I should tell you that my grandmother died a few years ago. The gravediggers were gone on holidays, so we had to dig the grave, lower in the coffin and then fill the grave back in. So you might want to be careful with that.

I don't think I can add much to the conversation here if I'm honest. Most annoying phrases have been covered at this stage. Not really a phrase, but something that always gets me worked up is txt spk. Luckily, I've surrounded myself with friends who despise it as much as I do, so I'm very very rarely subjected to having to decipher any text messages I receive before I can read them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Des wrote: »

retards.

Anything "out" - another culchie-ism, it doesn't even mean anything, and marks the person who uses the phrase as one to be avoided.

Will be reminding you of this post any time you mention the word "hoover" then.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Des wrote: »

retards.

I'm not from Dublin but I never heard anyone use tayto like that, until I joined this site. I hate it too though. It's just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Ive never heard a culchie use the word tayto and not actually mean tayto's. Might just be a different county thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

plenty more fish in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Badhb wrote: »
    'You know that kind of way'.

I don't know why, but I start foaming at the mouth when someone starts peppering their conversations with that particular phrase.
    I completely end up forgetting what they are talking about, I just start to really, really hate them.

One of the lads at work says at the end of every second sentence.
    ALL THE TIME.
    Makes him sound fecking retarded !!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭leinster_fan

Was reading a report in work a year or two, and kept coming across the abbreviation 'ITCEC'. It was really puzzling me...so in the end I caved and asked one of the managers what it stood for....

he looked at me pityingly, and said 'In The Current Economic Crisis'....:mad::mad:

Now, the phrase 'In The Current Economic Crisis' makes my blood boil, so an abbreviation of it?! He's lucky I didn't thump him with the report!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Happy out, tired out, busy out...........why the need to be 'out' at the end. Drives me mad!

Can't cope with the way people are pronouncing 'data', the American way....day-ta :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

When somebody counts down to something in sleeps. Eg. Only 2 more sleeps till I go to New York!

"I seen" instead of "I saw."

When somebody says "____, much?" Eg. Uptight, much? I find this phrase really condescending and it makes me want to batter whoever utters it. On boards it's often accompanied by this smiley::rolleyes:, which I also detest.

When people say "come with" as opposed to "Why don't you join us/come with us?" eg. "We're going to the shop. Want to come with?" It's insufferable.

You don't hear it much but : "You can't teach your grannny to suck eggs." Whatever the hell that means. Intriguing but annoying.

When you're telling a (really interesting, or so you think) story, and then someone ruins your punchline by saying , "And then what happened?"

Also when a dead body is referred to as 'remains.' It used to freak me out when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

true story bro!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

"f**k my life"

or worse

"FML!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

"To each their own, I guess."

BAH! Nothing more than a cover up for how you really feel about my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Caraville wrote: »
    I have never heard that before in my life!!
    byte wrote: »
    "What's crack-a-lackin?"

I dunno where that phrase came from, but it really is annoying.
    It would seem, from my limited Googling, that it's a Snoop Dogg/gangsta thing to say...
    I'm glad it's not widespread.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

"savage":mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭elPadrino

I was chatting with my brother's girlfriend the other day about a recent hangover that she's endured. She told me that she felt like she was going to VOM a few times during the drive back home.

I could probably accept vomit, but what's wrong with good old puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

"What did your last slave die of?"

Usually said by lazy bastards who won't do what they're told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Sup homey? - your white give over
    Thats queer balls- What the **** does that mean
    Im hanging- you have a hangover you arnt hanging

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Alice1 wrote: »
    What is "low hanging fruit"? (I may regret asking this)

Plums. Known more colloquially as 'B0ll0cks' - a term for stupid management speak in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

"You do realise..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I was in Xtravision yesterday and a woman (I mean she must have been 30) says to her boyfriend/husband "O. M. G! Paranormal Activity 3!" What did she expect to find in a video shop? She was lucky it was only Xtravision and not Blunt Instruments R Us because I like totally hate that sh*t. F.G.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

elPadrino wrote: »

I could probably accept vomit, but what's wrong with good old puke.

There's nothing wrong with a good old puke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

ejmaztec wrote: »
    "What did your last slave die of?"

Usually said by lazy bastards who won't do what they're told.
    Have to disagree on this one. It can be used when warranted. I heard it often in my house often a little before "where do you bury your dead?"

Advertisement