Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most hated phrases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

People using catchy and awful buzzwords in business to sound 'fresh and innovative':

'Touch Base'. Are we playing Baseball or some ****? F*** off.

'Adding value'. Wouldn't that be kind of obvious in selling anything to anyone? You're not likely to buy anything that makes you worse off. Using words just to use words. Especially VAT. It makes it less value for money seeing as I have to pay more for the f***ing thing.

'On the cloud'. It's online. There are no f***ing clouds.

'In the <insert profession here> space'. It used to be in the 'engineering/science/business field'. What happened the field? Did someone concrete it over and just leave the space there?

'Leader in his/her thought space'. Utter f***ing nonsense. WTF is a 'thought space'? Wouldn't that just be inside your head?

I heard nearly all these spouted in that f***ing atrocious radio advert for CIMA, or one of those qualification things with the Northern Ireland fella spouting jargon like slurry in a field. It's the most cringey advert I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I use this so I'm shooting myself in the foot here but a friend could say something and I'd reply nothing as bad as that. Give me a second is another one. Ya know, all's well that ends well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

advertising waffle

'so much more affordable'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I hate the phrase 'first world problems'. It's like saying that because there are people starving in the world that no one should ever complain about anything minor. The phrase is usually said by people sitting at their computers, complaining about other people complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The phrase "Celtic Tiger".

Its use should be outlawed.

And people who say "chillax" require a beating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Literally.

For example, "I didn’t eat anything, I’m literally starving." You're not being treated for malnutrition, you're just hungry.

Or one I heard lately - "Like, I literally love cheese." You may have a problem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Your duckface pics on facebook are totes amazeballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

When people start a sentence with "to be honest with you" or "to tell you the truth".
    It makes me wonder if they lie most of the time and are about to tell you a whopper but need to convince themselves first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Yeah, whatever. :mad:

"They" say... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 broadspeed

"NO TIMEWASHTERS OR TYREKICKERS!!!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

"Working professionals"
    "Social welfare class"
    Can someone from the Sindo please explain what these phrases actually mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

"Totes Magoats"

I want to go back in time and kill who ever invented that phrase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Lad I worked with used the word redundant for everything!

It started around '08 and everyone was on edge when that word was mentioned, little did they realise it was his pen that was redundant! Or an old document was redundant, even his coffee was redundant!

He's still saying it now, no one listens any more. Plus he might be the redundant one soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

"You can't have your cake and eat it."

Wtf? That's the whole point of cake. If I can't eat it I don't want anything to do with it, let alone have it!

I know it means you can't have everything but it's a stupid phrase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Cheer up it might never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

"Totes Magoats"

what does that even mean???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

what does that even mean???

Dead maggots auf Deutsch?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

It's the phrase "sure you'll have that " which always annoys me. I associate it with resignation to behaviours / processes that should not be. Acceptance of gombeenism as it were.
    I sooo love getting it back after a perfectly reasonable rant:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

people who call Australia "OZ"
    irish people who say "mate"
    people who say "cheers"
    and the word "gaff"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

wivy wrote: »
    'This avo' instead of 'this afternoon'
    Dont get it and its extremely irritating!

This one is big back in Ireland now? Only ever heard it in Oz.

"gone viral" gets my goat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Dylzer

"Ah yeah, but at least you know the bus is on the way"

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Person who replys "absolutely" to a statement ( ala Kenny Cunningham) as they try and think of a sensible reply'

PS: Pre-owned, what was wrong with seconhand, must be i'm getting old:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

X more sleeps till X....WHOOP WHOOP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

daddydick wrote: »
    X more sleeps till X....WHOOP WHOOP

- 5 more sleeps till Santa

-6 more sleeps till Sarah goes to Majorca

Sarah's Dumb friend: 4 sleeps now! Ooh how exciting! Not long now!

F@ck off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

]
    The phrase "Celtic Tiger".

Its use should be outlawed.

i take offence to that:D

'getting on like a house on fire' how the **** does a house get on with a fire!

and the word like does my noggin in when used 476 times in a sentence.

"is this your vehicle" - no i found the ****in thing 2 years ago and i forgot to give it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

People who use leet or text speak in real life. It's bad enough seeing it on internet forums and mindless YouTube comments, but anytime I hear the abbreviation for "oh my god", I can't help but die a little inside. The fact that I actually saw a can of hairspray branded with...that abbreviation, only makes matters worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

"You know yourself"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

''Heading out 2nite.... Be rude not to.'' NO IT WOULDNT YOU ABSOLUTE SACK OF DUNG!!!!
    Also, anyone who finishes off saying something with the word 'Simples' tagged on should just bring their toaster to the bathtub with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

"I hate..."

That's the worst phrase I know! What's with all the excessive hating?

For instance: "I hate Valentine's day", "I hate cats", "I hate hamburgers", "I hate Westlife", "I hate Adam Sandler" etc.

Do you really?? Do you care enough to hate? Hate is such a strong word and I don't understand how one can say it so easily - especially when it's about little things that aren't really important. A dislike I understand, but hate? No.

It's no fun hanging out with people who hates everything ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

"What's crack-a-lackin?"

I dunno where that phrase came from, but it really is annoying.

Advertisement