Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple to announce iPad 3 on March 7th 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Hey do ipad's have GPS chips in them ?

Wifi+3G do, wifi only don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Planning on going to Belfast next Friday for the launch. Will it be on sale first thing in the morning? Last year it was 5pm...

Wondering about doing this myself.
    Anyone gone to Belfast on launch day for other products. Queues much ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Late on the band wagon here but does any one know the cost? If not available a best guesses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Going to USA last week this month, and hope to pick up an iPad.
    I'm wondering about availability in the Apple Stores, in general.
    Based on past experience, is there a good chance of being able to pick one up, without prior reservation?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

All apples pre orders have sold out so I would think it would be tough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

godtabh wrote: »
    Late on the band wagon here but does any one know the cost? If not available a best guesses?

We don't know the Irish prices yet, but they should be the same as the iPad 2 was prior to the reduction.

We don't know the Irish prices yet, but they should be the same as the iPad 2 was prior to the reduction.

thanks. Might be worth trading in the ipad one so

I presume the prices would be the same as the German ones - which we do know
    www.apple.com/de

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not necessarily. Apple don't charge the same prices across the eurozone. VAT and other costs have to be taken into account. The Irish store is generally more expensive than the German one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

BeeDI wrote: »
    Going to USA last week this month, and hope to pick up an iPad.
    I'm wondering about availability in the Apple Stores, in general.
    Based on past experience, is there a good chance of being able to pick one up, without prior reservation?

They were available over the counter yesterday, in NY City!

I'd imagine by end of month, stock will not be too much of an issue. Plenty of Chinese slaves, sweating away in Dickensian work conditions, for a few dollars a month, will make sure the ultimate slave owner (western consumers), will not be disapointed.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Dickensian work conditions

Dickensian workhouses had internet cafes? sweet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So, given the US/UK markets could pre-order about a week in advance of the release date (16th), do we reckon the Apple/ie store might open for pre-orders a week in advance of the 23rd?

Leaving aside stock issues, of course.

I thinking I'd rather try and get to the top of Apple's queue than try and get to the top of the Curry's queue for the 10 iPads they might get in that morning. :pac:

Dammit:mad:

I have not used an ipad much before but borrowed my folks one this week to test it out. All was going well until the webpage i need to use is flash based:mad:

Now I must question buying one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Dammit:mad:

I have not used an ipad much before but borrowed my folks one this week to test it out. All was going well until the webpage i need to use is flash based:mad:

Now I must question buying one

iSwifter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

i wonder if there will be any stock in Newry on Friday, maybe currys or somwhere? anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

How sad is that! Personally I think half the fun is watching stock levels in various stores and watching the Apple site like a hawk for availability. Couldn't be arsed queueing. If it was a once in a lifetime, special edition, never to be repeated, collectors item iPad, then sure, there'd be a major point in queuing! I predict this time next year there'll be a similar article with eejits queuing for the Newer iPad! Either these guys are wasting a precious week's holidays or they're getting far too much dole!

squonk wrote: »
    they're getting far too much dole!
    It can't be that, it's the UK.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How sad is that!
    I dunno... weren't you guys ever students?

Once that queue forms I'd say there'll be a days of geeky banter and gaming mixed in with visits from local business, reporters and onlookers. There are weeks of my life I'd have happily rather sat outside the Apple store. :pac:

• Advertisement

True, and I do remember queuing up early on Saturday morning at a place that was doing a good deal on a cheap laser printer, which I reckoned was going to save me a good bit in the long run on printing costs for my FYP. I wouldn't have had the dosh to throw out on a new iPad though had there been such a thing at the time :)

True, and I do remember queuing up early on Saturday morning at a place that was doing a good deal on a cheap laser printer, which I reckoned was going to save me a good bit in the long run on printing costs for my FYP. I wouldn't have had the dosh to throw out on a new iPad though had there been such a thing at the time :)

You queued up for a LASER PRINTER ?!?!?!?!!?:eek::confused:

It wasn't much of a queue. I basically had to be there for 9AM and I think a lot of people queueing were going for different things so it was just really hanging around til 9 waiting for the shop to open for 20 mins to 30 mins. I'm talking 93-94 here so laser printers were a big deal then and a cheapo model was definitely something to be had. I got plenty of use out of it anyway but it was one of those Windows GDI printers so it found limited use in future years after I moved to Linux and then to OS X. Not sure where it is anymore actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

To be fair it seems to be in people's nature to queue for stuff they don't really need. There are regularly queues outside Lidl and Aldi on a Thursday morning when they have some angle grinder or cheap sat nav on offer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

A bit of advice needed.

I'll be making the new Ipad my first apple device, sorry my second, I have a 3rd generation Ipod which requires Itunes but its so old I don't really consider it a proper apple device as it makes no use of the strides in functionality most apple and other brand devices currently do.

Whats the easiest way to get one as soon as possible? without resorting to becoming mates with the pavement boys.

Would pre-ordering from the UK store now be my best bet? will they deliver to Ireland?

I called PC world and they are only stocking it in select branches, mostly in Dublin, so my local store won't have it. Compu B are an authorized reseller, with branches in Cork and Limerick, my two closest options.

After a quick phone call I learn t that they are not guaranteed to get them on the 23rd of March but they took my name and number and said they would give everyone a call when they have news on stock

http://www.compub.ie/

Any suggestions please?

UK store won't deliver to Ireland. Just wait and get one on launch day. They won't sell out that quick. Or wait until pre-orders on the Irish site start and see what the wait time is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

UK store won't deliver to Ireland. Just wait and get one on launch day. They won't sell out that quick. Or wait until pre-orders on the Irish site start and see what the wait time is like.

Didn't the iPad 2 sell out quick enough last year? Anyone hear anything on preorders for the countries with 23rd launch dates? Should be from tomorrow if consistent with first wave launch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

what are queue's like in victoria square normally ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Hi Guys

Unfortunately i'm working all day on friday so can't make it up to victoria square. If anyone is going up themselves and they're interested in making some cash to cover their journey and make it a bit more worthwhile pm me. I really need to get an iPad asap for a birthday present. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I'm thinking of picking up a cheaper iPad 2 in the States at the end of May... don't think the 'new ipad' is worth the extra 100 bucks.

Advertisement