Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly weekend rideout?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Yup! Got the footpeg down on one corner but that was under control.

Two min later driving slowly around a few twisties I seen lots of gravel in the middle of the road. So I said to myself right don't drive in the middle of the lane. A second later I'm getting all tail happy in the center of the lane :D

It was like the more I looked at the gravel and thought about it the more I got pulled into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

It was like the more I looked at the gravel and thought about it the more I got pulled into it.

Target fixation! Happens to us all mate. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

That spin sounds like it was no fun at all.

Maybe ye'd enjoy a weekly ride-out more if ye all moved to the Clare/Limerick/Galway region. :p

*cough* hint hint *cough* nudge *cough*

How long were ye out for anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Got the bike back today after a few months, will be up for joining one of these spins in the coming weeks. Between working weekends and the GAA I won't be around every week but would love to get a couple of spins in this summer at least.

Kev.OC wrote: »
    That spin sounds like it was no fun at all.

Maybe ye'd enjoy a weekly ride-out more if ye all moved to the Clare/Limerick/Galway region. :p

*cough* hint hint *cough* nudge *cough*

How long were ye out for anyway?

PMSL!!! :pac: I left the house at 9.45am yesterday morning and got home about 6.30pm. I think others might have gone their separate ways and probably got home sooner, but myself and 2 others went on another spin with a pit stop on the way home.
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Got the bike back today after a few months, will be up for joining one of these spins in the coming weeks. Between working weekends and the GAA I won't be around every week but would love to get a couple of spins in this summer at least.

Ah I'm sure there'll be plenty of other spins chief.

• Advertisement

PMSL!!! :pac: I left the house at 9.45am yesterday morning and got home about 6.30pm. I think others might have gone their separate ways and probably got home sooner, but myself and 2 others went on another spin with a pit stop on the way home.

Ah shur, it was worth a go. :D

That seems like a shockingly long spin, although maybe it's cause I'm still relatively new to biking. My longest spin so far has been about 100 miles (broken up by 3 stops I think) and I was in bits after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

That seems like a shockingly long spin, although maybe it's cause I'm still relatively new to biking. My longest spin so far has been about 100 miles (broken up by 3 stops I think) and I was in bits after it.

What bike are you on? And what part of the body was in bits? That seems a bit harsh...

Well, we kinda really finished about 3pm but like I said, me and a couple of others extended it we were enjoying it so much. All in all I only did 190 miles, but we had a few breaks in between for a Coke and a smoke too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If you are new to biking no doubt you will be very tense in the upper body and I bet it was your arms and wrists that were sore. It happens to EVERYONE and the quicker you get out with other bikers the quicker it will stop as you will get the best advice mid spin.

The longest spin I have done without a break is Meath to the NW200 road races only stopping once for juice that was an experience (at speed) but starting out do what ever feels comfortable, On a sunday spin I leave my house at 10-11 and dont get home till 8pm sure 2 weeks ago I got home at midnight. Went from meath and took in carlow, kilkenny and even wexford but was a great spin. If you have to stop 3 times before you leave your drive way so be it. Before long you will have no probs and it will start to feel alot more natural riding for longer. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Maybe this should go in a new thread but is anyone going on this run?

http://www.lukethebiker.com/

I'm thinking about making the trek down with a few others from North Donegal :)

• Advertisement

Farls wrote: »
    Maybe this should go in a new thread but is anyone going on this run?

http://www.lukethebiker.com/

I'm thinking about making the trek down with a few others from North Donegal :)

Deffo new thread as it will get more attention mate...;)

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    What bike are you on? And what part of the body was in bits? That seems a bit harsh...

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. Arms were OK, wrists a little tender. Where I really felt it was the hands, my lower back, and I had a little bit of a "cowboy walk". :pac:
    Well, we kinda really finished about 3pm but like I said, me and a couple of others extended it we were enjoying it so much. All in all I only did 190 miles, but we had a few breaks in between for a Coke and a smoke too.

10-3 seems like a nice amount of time to be out on the road. "Only 190 miles"? That's like the width of the country!
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    If you are new to biking no doubt you will be very tense in the upper body and I bet it was your arms and wrists that were sore. It happens to EVERYONE and the quicker you get out with other bikers the quicker it will stop as you will get the best advice mid spin.

The longest spin I have done without a break is Meath to the NW200 road races only stopping once for juice that was an experience (at speed) but starting out do what ever feels comfortable, On a sunday spin I leave my house at 10-11 and dont get home till 8pm sure 2 weeks ago I got home at midnight. Went from meath and took in carlow, kilkenny and even wexford but was a great spin. If you have to stop 3 times before you leave your drive way so be it. Before long you will have no probs and it will start to feel alot more natural riding for longer. ;)

Another great reason for all of ye to move to the Whest! :pac:

God, that is serious going. As I said above, I felt it less in the arms and the wrists, but my hands and my lower back were a bit tender. Don't think I'm quite set for a 12 hour day out yet.

I should probably stop hijacking this thread now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R. Arms were OK, wrists a little tender. Where I really felt it was the hands, my lower back, and I had a little bit of a "cowboy walk". :pac:

God, that is serious going. As I said above, I felt it less in the arms and the wrists, but my hands and my lower back were a bit tender. Don't think I'm quite set for a 12 hour day out yet.

In fairness I don't think you're hyjacking, this all pertains to rideouts so I think it's fair enough.

As the others have said, you'll get used to it. For some though, the pain in the arse never goes away lol!

10-3 seems like a nice amount of time to be out on the road. "Only 190 miles"? That's like the width of the country!

Another great reason for all of ye to move to the Whest! :pac:

Well on the Ninja your lean angle would be more acute then a sports tourer so you will get the lower back pain and propping yourself up is causing your wrists to hurt. Hard as it may sound, try to keep clam and relaxed and enjoy yourself.

PUT YOUR HEART INTO RIDING AND THE REST OF YOUR BODY WILL FOLLOW ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

As the others have said, you'll get used to it. For some though, the pain in the arse never goes away lol!

I was in portugal last week and done a 3 hour quad tour through a national park, half of it was on the pegs, my ass was killing me...:pac:

Say it was well worth the pain all the same....:D

For some though, the pain in the arse never goes away lol!

No, you don't!!!! :P I mean...no, it doesn't. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

oleras wrote: »
    I was in portugal last week and done a 3 hour quad tour through a national park, half of it was on the pegs, my ass was killing me...:pac:

Did a day off-road in Queensland a few years back (allegedly the great Simon Pavey rode these tracks when he was a kid) pretty tough going for a novice like me and the rains had come early so there were some very muddy bits which should've been bone dry. Convinced I was going to die multiple times. Arse in flitters but was too tired to stand on the pegs after a couple of hours. Fell off multiple times but always on the right side, I should've evened out the bruising it would've hurt less. Some of the descents I would not have gone down except there was no other bloody way down. Not convinced I ever want to do off-road again!!!

Was gutted the next day to find a place doing on-road tours with a wide selection of sports and touring bikes :mad: :mad:

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

I've have been PMing some of the lads who meet up in Kilcock about having a meet up in Dublin and then going out as a group to meet them. However some of the lads are going up to the road races in Dungannon on Sunday. So what about a meetup in Dublin say, 1.00 and having a handy run for newbies to the Wicklow Gap ?

BTW I ride a Honda SuperFour a few years and have been on charity runs etc So for you newbies around Dublin, anyone interested ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I've have been PMing some of the lads who meet up in Kilcock about having a meet up in Dublin and then going out as a group to meet them. However some of the lads are going up to the road races in Dungannon on Sunday. So what about a meetup in Dublin say, 1.00 and having a handy run for newbies to the Wicklow Gap ?

BTW I ride a Honda SuperFour a few years and have been on charity runs etc So for you newbies around Dublin, anyone interested ?

I like easy runs.. I will let u know on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Races are on SATURDAY in a place named BUSH near Dungannon.

Sorry I missed this lads, bike needed a service BEFORE I did the 410klm round trip to the mid antrim road races last week. So I am deffo getting it done this SUNDAY after the bush road races.....:rolleyes:

If I dont get up to the bush races I will deffo go on sunday no probs.

Take it easy and look out for the least experienced on the day..

BTW,

People are more then welcome to go to the bush races with me and smiler....but its a non stop express train (juice stop once)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Are there many of you going to road races in Bush this weekend?

At this moment in time 3....so its not a huge rideout jobbie mate. Just dedicated road race folk with a nice spin thrown in. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

mate, i wont be able to make it, i will spend saturday + sunday in work. :(

i hope the weather will be grand and you gonna enjoy.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    At this moment in time 3....so its not a huge rideout jobbie mate. Just dedicated road race folk with a nice spin thrown in. ;)

Cheers,will try and make it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

Meeting at 12.30, leaving at 1.00 from the car park of O'Shea's pub, Clonskeagh Rd, D4. I have been a few runs before as mentioned, ( not saying I'm the expert :o !!!! ), only problem is some people turning up with 1,000+ cc bikes to a ' newbie ' run and blazing away only to be waiting at 2 or 3 villages ahead for everyone else to catch up etc and then repeating it all again. To be honest apart from showing off, I don't see any point in such a run and it's not fair to Newbies or pople out for a handy spin. In my experience, if a group stay to the speed limit, it should be ok for everyone to keep up regardless of their experience or size of bike. Weatherwise Sunday from mid day on is supposed to be ok.

We'll probably have a stop in Laragh and on through the gap. Anyway it's a learning curve and only 3 of us may be there, but it's a start, see ya there.

O'Shea's http://www.yelp.ie/biz/o-sheas-clonskeagh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Meeting at 12.30, leaving at 1.00 from the car park of O'Shea's pub, Clonskeagh Rd, D4. I have been a few runs before as mentioned, ( not saying I'm the expert :o !!!! ), only problem is some people turning up with 1,000+ cc bikes to a ' newbie ' run and blazing away only to be waiting at 2 or 3 villages ahead for everyone else to catch up etc and then repeating it all again. To be honest apart from showing off, I don't see any point in such a run and it's not fair to Newbies or pople out for a handy spin. In my experience, if a group stay to the speed limit, it should be ok for everyone to keep up regardless of their experience or size of bike. Weatherwise Sunday from mid day on is supposed to be ok.

We'll probably have a stop in Laragh and on through the gap. Anyway it's a learning curve and only 3 of us may be there, but it's a start, see ya there.

O'Shea's http://www.yelp.ie/biz/o-sheas-clonskeagh

Looking forward to going on a spin soon. Wont be this weekend though. Still waiting on Hein Gericke to deliver my gear, ordered it on the 10th:(

...only problem is some people turning up with 1,000+ cc bikes to a ' newbie ' run and blazing away only to be waiting at 2 or 3 villages ahead for everyone else to catch up etc and then repeating it all again. To be honest apart from showing off, I don't see any point in such a run and it's not fair to Newbies...

Well said. Not to take this off topic, but these kinda lads are just egomaniacs with brains as small as their d**ks! Good on ya for arranging a spin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

The whole point of a group rideout is that you stick together, enjoy the spin together and reach your destination as a group.

Enjoy the spin :)

Advertisement