Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxee Box media player £143 Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Got one of these last October, plus my subscription to LOF and its the business, sky who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I am liking the sound of this LOF once my half price Sky Sports subscription ends.

Is it flash based? Wondering if I'll be able to watch it direct on the tv without the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Soarer wrote: »
    I am liking the sound of this LOF once my half price Sky Sports subscription ends.

Is it flash based? Wondering if I'll be able to watch it direct on the tv without the laptop.

yup, it's flash based. a word of warning, they only open for new subscriptions on random occasions - i assume this helps to maintain the high quality. there's a huge thread over in soccer that would be worth keeping an eye on to see when the next open day is

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

People's obession with LOF always perplexes me.

If you're gonna watch your footy online on a pirate site in order to not pay Sky for the privilage......... why would you then pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

BostonB wrote: »
    Kev. wrote: »
    Liveonlinefooty,It costs £6 for 60 days...covers all/most footbal matched from the Prem...

^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Cheers I missed that.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    People's obession with LOF always perplexes me.

If you're gonna watch your footy online on a pirate site in order to not pay Sky for the privilage......... why would you then pay for it?

it's not just sky, it's espn, setanta, fox etc. etc. as well. searching around and asking in threads for streams of varying quality with the propensity to be cut off at any time was just getting old for me, especially with the demise of myp2p.eu. £6 for 60 days of reliable high quality streams is easily something i can live with

BostonB wrote: »

maybe we should have a ://acronyms.boards.ie - i'm sure everyone has googled some abbreviation they've seen on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

is there a work around for hulu? if so this is for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Washout wrote: »
    is there a work around for hulu? if so this is for me

I've heard it works via the Bartsidee Repo... not got it working myself though to be honest, saying that, I've not tried too hard.

No official support though...
    http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=55369

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

theteal wrote: »
    . . .la liga, ufc, boxing, horse racing (if that's your thing) etc. - it's freakin class, is what it is :D

I have been using LOF for two months now - it's absolutely class. The quality is amazing. You will never use a free stream site ever again.

Just wondering - does it stream any other sports? (rugby, golf, etc.)
    I've only ever seen football and the Klitschko v Chisora fight on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Shame I only bought the new WD TV Live media player a few months ago. This looks so much better. Bought the WD as I needed something to enable me to watch Netflix on my tv, but the online content is limited. Not even able to use RTE PLayer or browse the web.

brimal wrote: »
    I have been using LOF for two months now - it's absolutely class. The quality is amazing. You will never use a free stream site ever again.

Just wondering - does it stream any other sports? (rugby, golf, etc.)
    I've only ever seen football and the Klitschko v Chisora fight on it.

it tends to go for whatever is a big attraction. golf wouldn't be on it an awful lot but i have seen some golf - can't remember which tournament. for some reason they don't do italian football. the ufc main cards are always on, if you're willing to stay up that late. there's horses on everyday but i have minus interest in that. there'll be a random smattering of other sports if a big tournament is on - i'm vaguely remembering seeing some tennis a while ago.

For anyone looking to utilise the RTE player on it, there used to be an unofficial app but it stopped working a while back.

Anyways, the XL player works perfectly... use the below link and bookmark it on your Boxee Browser;

http://www.rte.ie/playerxl/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

this or the apple tv? only ask as the apple is cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

damian139 wrote: »
    this or the apple tv? only ask as the apple is cheaper

Ive had the 2 and trust me,being able to play videos without jailbreaking etc. is a gift,Just plug the boxee in and play..

Being able to plug in a hard drive is a definite advantage.

I think you should pay the extra on the boxww because you wont look back..

Well I havent...

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

It won't despatch to Ireland. It is being sold by a third party company. Was it originally being sold by Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭Invincible

Omeceron wrote: »
    It won't despatch to Ireland. It is being sold by a third party company. Was it originally being sold by Amazon?

Yes Amazon and another two retailers, maybe Amazon are out of stock now.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Invincible wrote: »

Thanks. I spend all day psyching myself up to buy it and then I miss it!!!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Omeceron wrote: »
    Thanks. I spend all day psyching myself up to buy it and then I miss it!!!:o

You didn't miss it, look at the right hand side of the page in the "More Buying Choices" Amazon.co.uk is there for 143.

Invincible wrote: »

Amazon have 3 left in stock.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0043EV3MS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

edit... plenty back in stock now again.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just bought one, delivery to Ireland went through fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

For those who have used one of these devices before, would you recommend the Boxee over a jailbroken ATV running XBMC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

For those who have used one of these devices before, would you recommend the Boxee over a jailbroken ATV running XBMC?

..Or the Logitech Revue?

I remember a huge thread on here about the Revue saying it was better than ATV.

Would be interested to know which of the three is best

brimal wrote: »
    ..Or the Logitech Revue?

I remember a huge thread on here about the Revue saying it was better than ATV.

Would be interested to know which of the three is best

I'm biased obviously, but having looked at all the solutions out there, the Boxee Box (for me) is by far the best solution.
    ATV ruled out due to lack of support for my local content.
    Roku ruled out for the same reason
    Jailbroken ATV with XBMC ruled out for me as it doesn't pass the "wife test".
    Reviews of the Revue not doing it for me, but I'm not an expert on that device.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

I’ve been thinking of getting a Boxee Box for some time, so to test it out, I decided to initially download Boxee for windows and test drive the Boxee on my laptop. Now maybe there’s more content available on the Boxee Box itself, and there is loads of stuff to watch on Boxee for Windows, but almost none of it I would watch and I was very disappointed. Please correct me if I’m wrong, and I hope I am, but if you’re not prepared to use a VPN, there is little non subscription watchable content for those in Ireland. I may still get a Boxee Box and get a VPN and a US Netflix account and the VPN would also give me access to Hulu, CBS, Fox and other US content, but other than RTE player, which I already get on the PS3, there’s little decent English speaking content available in Ireland (not that RTE is decent) or am I missing something?

Bozacke wrote: »
    I’ve been thinking of getting a Boxee Box for some time, so to test it out, I decided to initially download Boxee for windows and test drive the Boxee on my laptop. Now maybe there’s more content available on the Boxee Box itself, and there is loads of stuff to watch on Boxee for Windows, but almost none of it I would watch and I was very disappointed. Please correct me if I’m wrong, and I hope I am, but if you’re not prepared to use a VPN, there is little non subscription watchable content for those in Ireland. I may still get a Boxee Box and get a VPN and a US Netflix account and the VPN would also give me access to Hulu, CBS, Fox and other US content, but other than RTE player, which I already get on the PS3, there’s little decent English speaking content available in Ireland (not that RTE is decent) or am I missing something?

You are correct, but the Boxee Box suffers the same fate as every other device out there. Free content is generally only licenced free in the US.
    This is a content restriction rather than a device restriction.

I have an unblockus account for $5 per month, dynamic DNS rather than VPN (it's generally faster, cheaper and works better with Boxee Box, no need to connect and disconnect each regional VPN, UnblockUs does the work so if the service is US based it knows, the same way as it works for UK based one like BBC player). Just means one simple change to the DNS on the device.

The advantages of the Boxee Box are in its user friendliness, it's apps, and its ability to handle just about every format of local content that you may have. Its also being actively developed so it should get better and better.
    As regards streaming content, without a US IP address or an UnblockUs account don't be expecting too much (same as any other device).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I'm torn between ordering one of these or the Roku 2 xs from Amazon.

The main reason I want either is for Netflix streaming in my bedroom. I already have enough things for streaming and local content watching in the living room, so I wanted something that I continue to watch something on netflix in the bedrrom, without having to bring in my laptop and set it up everytime.

As much as I love the concept of the Boxee box, and even have the app on my pc since it was in alpha, I think it's more of a living room device rather than an hours watching in bed type device.

I might end up going for the Roku!

Advertisement