Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Each to their own :)

That's the problem I suppose.

Worse things have happened !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

People people, you are ALL right! right?

- legally everyone can park there so house owner STFU
    - morally everyone should respect house owner's "front yard" and park elsewhere if possible

So what we came up with?? Nothing!

So i still stuck with my point of view that a company should take responsibility of parking space availability for it's employees because a company existence in the area is root cause of the problem, right?

A company needs employees to get job done, and earn some profit too, so why not make them responsible for arranging the same number of parking spaces as they have employees? or buy them employees bus tickets!

If there were no companies, would be more parking space available for everyone private persons guests and visitors!
    Private people, neighbors, have more time and understanding to fulfill each others requirements and wishes, who parks where and when, but businesses are more hectic and they don't have time nor interest to take environment in concern.

Now this doesn't solve OP's problem for now but i see this parking issue just as one of the examples where people are facing issues when business owners in general don't give a feck about customers and employees.

I personally like Irish laid back attitude "it will be grand" in free time between private people and private happenings but there should be defo more rules and obligations in the place for the businesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i kind of think Jobs are more important than Auntie Mary having to walk 50 yds when visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

corktina wrote: »
    i kind of think Jobs are more important than Auntie Mary having to walk 50 yds when visiting.

If the OP parks regularly on the street then he should become familiar with what houses have cars parked regularly in front of them and try and park where it cause the least obstruction. At least then he is minimising the disturbance of the residents as well as accessing parking for himself. Obviously if it is a busy street and is used by a lot of non-residents that is difficult but you can only do your best. The reality is unless there are parking restrictions placed on the street the OP can legally park there. As for the visitor issue that's less of an issue in my view and comes with the territory of city center living. I mean if you live in an apartment complex are you entitled to have spaces for you visitors outside your door?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I think the solution here is somewhere in the middle ground personally, I've parked in residential areas close to jobs in the past while have also experienced frustrating parking outside my own residence in the past.

I think if you are parking for a couple of hours, without blocking a driveway, in a residential area on an irregular basis then nobody can say a word to you. However, if I planned on parking in the same place on a daily basis for 7+ hours per day and that space was directly outside someone's home, I'd knock on the door and mention it to them.

I'd do that for a couple of reasons, firstly because I think it's courteous and they will appreciate it if they are decent people. I might even give them my number if they need the car moved or if they needed the space or something. Secondly, you'd quickly discover how likely it was for your car to be interfered with if you left it outside their house.

For me, that information would be quite useful and I think it would set the situation up quite nicely if it went well. Otherwise I'd pick another spot and try again.

"I'm allowed to do this legally" never really worked out well for anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

gbee wrote: »
    They do have such a right and they can and have got vehicles towed.

busted.png

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's a BIG difference. Why can't someone working around the corner (like the OP for example) buy a permit in the same way as a resident?

The road is still a public road however I think when p&d is applied to a street a clause is added in relation to stopping on the street i.e. parking. If you live on a street and meet the criteria for a permit (which is often ridiculously strict as I have found) then you can get one for a small fee as you are living in that "zone" and basically should be entitled to park there without incurring the huge cots involved with p&d.

P&d usually limits parking to 2 hours also so the rule is stricter than just paying more or paying less depending on being a resident, if your not a resident your can only park for 2 hours.

The same argument you make could be made for loading bays, why does someone with commercial tax have the right to park for 30mins for free in a city center location while I have to find a space and pay if I want to load things into my car, often a long way from the shop I want to visit.

Obviously in the real word loading bays make perfect sense as it would add a lot of hardship and cost to people delivering to shops, while also most likely causing obstructions as people pull up in the road to deliver as no space is available. In the same way permit parking makes sense, though I think the criteria for getting a permit is far too strict in a lot of places and makes it very difficult for more than one or possibly two people in a house to get one especially if its rented accommodation.

corktina wrote: »
    i kind of think Jobs I are more important than Auntie Mary having to walk 50 yds when visiting.

Fixed that for you

Draupnir wrote: »
    I think the solution here is somewhere in the middle ground personally, I've parked in residential areas close to jobs in the past while have also experienced frustrating parking outside my own residence in the past.

I think if you are parking for a couple of hours, without blocking a driveway, in a residential area on an irregular basis then nobody can say a word to you. However, if I planned on parking in the same place on a daily basis for 7+ hours per day and that space was directly outside someone's home, I'd knock on the door and mention it to them.

I'd do that for a couple of reasons, firstly because I think it's courteous and they will appreciate it if they are decent people. I might even give them my number if they need the car moved or if they needed the space or something. Secondly, you'd quickly discover how likely it was for your car to be interfered with if you left it outside their house.

For me, that information would be quite useful and I think it would set the situation up quite nicely if it went well. Otherwise I'd pick another spot and try again.

"I'm allowed to do this legally" never really worked out well for anybody.

If you work in Dundrum you'd be welcome to park at mine then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by corktina viewpost.gif
    i kind of think Jobs I are more important than Auntie Mary having to walk 50 yds when visiting.

Fixed that for you
    user_online.gifreport.gif
    Correct - If I get there first then yes

• Advertisement

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by corktina viewpost.gif

Fixed that for you
    user_online.gifreport.gif
    Correct - If I get there first then yes

:p

E39MSport wrote: »
    :p

I can only deduce from those last couple of inciteful posts that Aunty Mary is one hell of an important person.. all stand aside now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Fixed that for you

i kind of think Jobs I am more important than Auntie Mary having to walk 50 yds when visiting

fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Well for myself,

As long as I'm not blocking anything Ill park on a public road! Im fully within my rights to park on any public road no matter where it is. Why the fook should I have to ask a person who doesent even own the road can I park there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Did the op come back and say what happened?

I have lived in different city centers for some years now and have managed to get rid of the sense of entitlement that the space outside my house is for my use only.

I live near a school now and the parking I see/deal with daily would send a lot of the posters in this thread into a fit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

They're more than likely well aware of their rights but very frustrated.

People may have been living in their homes for 40/50 years perhaps and happily parking outside when required.

Then the shopping centre or business moves in and all of a sudden the road has turned from a quiet back street into a carpark.

Squatters have more rights. It's not a matter of residents 'rights' but a moral one.

You give no consideration to the people that live here. The older relatives/friends visiting. The sons/daughters visiting with triplets, the disabled.

You're happy to dress it up in legalities and park wherver the fuk you like once it's legal. As long as you can get to work then party on.

Thats a fair view of the situation. As it happens my parents live within about 6-7 minutes walking distance from Pavillions and a local school and increasingly, their road is choked with 10-11 cars parked up alongside the green. The problem is, my parents are the first house on the far side, and steadily, the spaces outside their house are starting to fill up, and already once some selfish c*** has already partially blocked their drive, and delivery vans and rubbish collections are now having increasing difficulty in accessing the street.

I lived and worked in Cork city for years and saw what this eventually turns into: stolen traffic cones blocking off choicy spaces outside of peoples homes, and parking permits everywhere, leaving no free parking at all except for people who have to pay for yearly permits. In Cork a tenant also has to produce about 10 different pieces of documentation to get a permit, and nobody at all can get a permit if the multi-home building is post 2004 so ultimately, not only do selfish parkers too mean to pay for parking end up losing all of their free parking, everybody else loses out too.

When I worked in Cork city and lived in suburbia but worked in a parking-free workplace, I took the only options which were to either pay a daily rate or use public transport. Neither are particularly nice, but if you persist in parking in residential estates eventually the free parking is lost forever for everybody.

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Yeah, all those people who park for free on the streets where you live should pay some of their ill gotten wages on parking elsewhere and leave the street empty for us.

Those feckers!

shoegirl wrote: »
    I lived and worked in Cork city for years and saw what this eventually turns into: stolen traffic cones blocking off choicy spaces outside of peoples homes, and parking permits everywhere, leaving no free parking at all except for people who have to pay for yearly permits. In Cork a tenant also has to produce about 10 different pieces of documentation to get a permit, and nobody at all can get a permit if the multi-home building is post 2004 so ultimately, not only do selfish parkers too mean to pay for parking end up losing all of their free parking, everybody else loses out too.

Understand fully your frustrations here but its hard to blame people who avail of free parking for doing so by arguing that you will mess it up for everyone else. In this day and age the easiest way to deal with this issue is to introduce P&D and give residents the option to obtain parking permits. That way if someone else wants to park on the street they will have to pay up and that includes visitors. Pleading to non-residents not to muck it up for everyone else is like saying to commuters not to drive through towns thereby causing congestion for locals and mucking up the enjoyment of their own town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

creedp wrote: »
    Pleading to non-residents not to muck it up for everyone else is like saying to commuters not to drive through towns thereby causing congestion for locals and mucking up the enjoyment of their own town
    But aunty mary has lived there for the last 50 years, would you not have some consideration??

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

If you work in Dundrum you'd be welcome to park at mine then :)

Thank you :) I don't but my girlfriend does, if she finally learns to drive we might be in touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Should we report the OP missing yet?

"Last seen measuring the distance between his bumper and the car next to him. His phone was found on the ground with a half written post on boards.ie"

Max Power1 wrote: »
    But aunty mary has lived there for the last 50 years, would you not have some consideration??

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Personally I think that people who think the space in front of their house belongs to them are wrong.

I \can understand how annoying must be having to park a few blocks away when the parking space in front of your house is taken but it really doesnt belong to you anyway.

This is common with people who have been living in a house for a long long time and always parked in the same spot. I have even seen people putting yellow cones in front of their house to prevent people from parking. Problem is that if you park in one of those spaces you run the risk of finding your car scratched or something worse...

I think is just a matter of common sense and respect towards the other individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I once pointed out that someone was parked on a double-yellow across the (very narrow) street from my house, blocking access to my driveway.

'I've lived here for 40 years!' came the reply.
    'Oh, yeah? My Grandad moved here in 1941 - he's dead now but he still couldn't park on a double-yellow line.'

If its a public street, suck it up, Princess; parking is for everyone.

Indeed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

"

And btw, my brother is the one with triplets, born 2 months premature and on several occasions walked down the road in the pissings of rain from the car, the neighbour is house bound and needs care, the carer has to walk to the house from up the road ......

Want more?

Hi I'm new around here so go easy:D

But your argument is that someone who doesn't live in a particular house shouldn't park there in case somebody else who doesn't live there either can have the spot available in case they might want it, I don't think so.

If someone is disabled they should apply to get a disable spot marked outside their house.

I think my motor tax covers me parking legally on unrestricted public roads and it's irrelevant what building is adjacent to the road and this is something that affects me most weeks. Where I live we have a park directly across the road which has gaa and soccer pitches so anytime there is a big match cars get parked outside my house and every other house on the road. There is 1 small car park, about 20 spaces and any other parking in the area is on residential streets.

Yes, yes, the point wasn't about rights but morals.

Indeed, if someone does indeed follow their conscience then the next fella will grab a spot anyway so it's a problem that requires regulation just like everything else in 'society' or we destroy ourselves quicker than we otherwise would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Indeed, if someone does indeed follow their conscience then the next fella will grab a spot anyway so it's a problem that requires regulation just like everything else in 'society' or we destroy ourselves quicker than we otherwise would.

Morals are a personal thing, some people think eating meat is immoral. It would not be hard to argue that using a car at all in the city is immoral, so if you don't park outside other peoples houses on moral grounds that's fine but I pay my tax, eat my steak and park where it's convenient for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Indeed :rolleyes:

Roll eyes all you like there, rolly-eyed-fella! Since when did parking become a moral issue? Talk about first-world-problems. Its a public street - d'ya think people should be prevented from using the pavement outside your house too?

You can roll your eyes, stamp your feet or squeam and squeam and squeam until you're sick but if its such a big issue to you, move house.

Advertisement