Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep abortion out of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

Quite!
    Let the British tax payer keep paying for it. (sic)

scidive wrote: »
    A message on http://www.thewarningsecondcoming.com asks the Irish people to keep abortion out of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

marienbad wrote: »
    You are getting very personal with this poster, so may I ask you - have you had sex outside marriage ? Do you masturbate ? have you ever used contraception ? These questions may seem over the top , but since you are making judgements on other peoples decisions and choices it is only fair that we know from whence you speak.

If this poster had an issue I'm sure she'd mention it, but never mind I'll indulge. Question A: Yes. Question B: No Question C: Yes. I'm failing to see the connection though? :confused: By the way I haven'd judged anyone. The poster in question could be a charming young lady, that doesn't mean I have to like what she has done in the past. Just like nobody has to like what I've done in the past. They have however every right to think whatever they like.

Morbert wrote: »
    Many abortions take place in the first day or two, either through the morning-after pill, or the contraceptive pill. The rest, as koth has pointed out, are primarily carried out within the first trimester. These are the abortion rights people are arguing in favour of. These are the rights that the anti-abortion side must address.

These are the rights that it usually starts out as. Now late-term partial birth abortions are a right in parts of the US. Let's say we legalise abortion on demand up until week X. What happens when a lady arrives at week X+1? We're back at square one arguing about what right anyone has to decide for her, her womb her choice, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

prinz wrote: »
    If this poster had an issue I'm sure she'd mention it, but never mind I'll indulge. Question A: Yes. Question B: No Question C: Yes. I'm failing to see the connection though? :confused:

These are the rights that it usually starts out as. Now late-term partial birth abortions are a right in parts of the US. Let's say we legalise abortion on demand up until week X. What happens when a lady arrives at week X+1? We're back at square one arguing about what right anyone has to decide for her, her womb her choice, etc etc.

Then if you used contraception were you not interfering with the right to life ?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

If she arrives at X+1 then it will be dealt with under a different regime of the law as X has been judged as a cut off point. The debate about allowing abortions after X can be made on different considerations. There is no need for a slippery slope type argument.

Then if you used contraception were you not interfering with the right to life ?

No, it's not quite the same as aborting after the fact.
    You'll notice I never said anything about the other poster's use of contraception either.

Having said that I don't use non natural forms of contraception now. Haven't in years. I made mistakes in the past, I can admit them.

• Advertisement

muppeteer wrote: »
    If she arrives at X+1 then it will be dealt with under a different regime of the law as X has been judged as a cut off point. The debate about allowing abortions after X can be made on different considerations. There is no need for a slippery slope type argument.

So who gets to decide at what point X is?

So who gets to decide at what point X is?
    Who gets to decide at what point we can vote?

Who gets to decide at what point we can vote?

Good stuff. So we as a society decide. Now we can agree that we all have a say.

Good stuff. So we as a society decide. Now we can agree that we all have a say.
    We as part of a republican society, limited by law, we all have a say.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

We as part of a republican society, limited by law, we all have a say.

Not all laws passed by Societies over time are morally right. Abortion is one of them. Thankfully the Irish People on more than one occasion have rejected abortion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Why has this become a debate on religion, its about rights or no rights. A non religious person looking for an abortion doesn't care what your god thinks.I completely support abortion at any time. And if your god is real I rather go to hell then have to suffer in heaven by being near that stuck up, judgemental, control freak. This has nothing really to do with god or morals, it weather or not its murder and weather its right or wrong.

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Not all laws passed by Societies over time are morally right. Abortion is one of them. Thankfully the Irish People on more than one occasion have rejected abortion.
    And many would say that prohibition on abortion is not morally right. Asserting abortion is one of them does not make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

GarIT wrote: »
    This has nothing really to do with god or morals, it weather or not its murder and weather its right or wrong.

Surely morality is what deals with what is right or wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Surely morality is what deals with what is right or wrong?

It's the weather apparently. :)

No, it's not quite the same as aborting after the fact.
    You'll notice I never said anything about the other poster's use of contraception either.

Having said that I don't use non natural forms of contraception now. Haven't in years. I made mistakes in the past, I can admit them.

But that is just you deciding your cut off point though is it not ? and the fact that you no longer use non natural forms , as you call them, shows you recognise that.

Would that be a correct summation ?

But that is just you deciding your cut off point though is it not?

No, contraception is not the same thing as abortion. In anyone's world.
    Would that be a correct summation ?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Contraception does not equate to abortion

A quick biology lesson for some of ye

The sperm has to combine with the egg to concieve and start a life

If any of these components are missing life will not occur

So my bedroom floor is not a site of mass genocide

How ever abortion is where the sperm and the egg combined and the life process begins

Sin City wrote: »

How ever abortion is where the sperm and the egg combined and the life process begins

While Im morally opposed to abortion at any stage, at an early stage of the pregnancy I just cant consider it to be equal to murder- given that most fertilized eggs dont make it into the womb saying that life begins at conception is saying that the majority of human souls never make it beyond a week.

.I completely support abortion at any time

Have none of your friends ever been seven no eight or nine months pregnant? That anyone could support abortion in the eighth month especially one claiming to be as compassionate as yourself just makes my mind boogle.

While Im morally opposed to abortion at any stage, at an early stage of the pregnancy I just cant consider it to be equal to murder- given that most fertilized eggs dont make it into the womb saying that life begins at conception is saying that the majority of human souls never make it beyond a week.

True enough, I admit it was a overly simplistic example

Ok lets say zygot forming and in the womb itself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

How many Angels can you get on the head of a pin again?

, I completely support abortion at any time.

An fotes can survive outside of the womb and independently of its mother at five or 6 months , so basically you think its fine to kill a baby

wellboytoo wrote: »
    How many Angels can you get on the head of a pin again?

Why do you see a difference between a fertilised egg and say an implanted embryo?

An organism is defined as “(1) a complex structure of interdependent and subordinate elements whose relations and properties are largely determined by their function
    in the whole and (2) an individual constituted to carry on the activities of life by
    means of organs separate in function but mutually dependent: a living being.”
    this definition stresses the interaction of parts in the context of a coordinated whole as
    the distinguishing feature of an organism.

Based on this definition, it has been proposed that human beings (including embryonic human beings) can be reliably distinguished from human cells using the same
    kinds of criteria scientists employ to distinguish different cell types: by examining
    their composition and their pattern of behavior.

A human being (i.e., a human organism) is composed of characteristic human parts (cells, proteins, RNA, DNA), yet
    it is different from a mere collection of cells because it has the characteristic behavior
    of an organism: it acts in an interdependent and coordinated manner to “carry on
    the activities of life.” In contrast, collections of human cells are alive and carry on the
    activities of cellular life, yet fail to exhibit coordinated interactions directed towards
    any higher level of organization. Collections of cells do not establish the complex,
    interrelated cellular structures (tissues, organs, and organ systems) that exist in a
    whole, living human being. Similarly, a human corpse is not a living human organism, despite the presence of living human cells within the corpse, precisely because
    this collection of human cells no longer functions as an integrated unit.
    Is a human zygote a human organism? For developing humans, the behavior and
    structures associated with adult stages of life are not yet fully manifest (embryos
    neither look like nor act like mature human beings). However, developing human
    beings are composed of characteristic human parts and they exhibit a human pattern
    of developmental behavior. he key feature of a human pattern of development is its
    organization towards the production of a mature human body

]Maureen L. Condic
    Senior Fellow
    Westchester Institute for Ethics & the Human Person
    Associate Professor of Neurobiology and Anatomy
    at the University of Utah School of Medicine

No, contraception is not the same thing as abortion. In anyone's world.

No.

So why have you stopped using them then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Why has this become a debate on religion, its about rights or no rights. A non religious person looking for an abortion doesn't care what your god thinks.I completely support abortion at any time. And if your god is real I rather go to hell then have to suffer in heaven by being near that stuck up, judgemental, control freak. This has nothing really to do with god or morals, it weather or not its murder and weather its right or wrong.

Not trying to be smart but surely morality (although we may differ on the source of morality) and the matter of right and wrong are inextricably linked? And in fairness, you can't be surprised to see God or religion being mentioned in the Christianity forum?

Interesting to see though that you support abortion "at any time" - do you mean right up until birth? Because most people who have a pro-choice outlook would have some manner of cut-off point.

Sin City wrote: »
    An organism is defined as “(1) a complex structure of interdependent and subordinate elements whose relations and properties are largely determined by their function
    in the whole and (2) an individual constituted to carry on the activities of life by
    .....snip....
    beings are composed of characteristic human parts and they exhibit a human pattern
    of developmental behavior. he key feature of a human pattern of development is its
    organization towards the production of a mature human body

]Maureen L. Condic
    Senior Fellow
    Westchester Institute for Ethics & the Human Person
    Associate Professor of Neurobiology and Anatomy
    at the University of Utah School of Medicine
    Not sure what the relevance of the above is, as what is says is not controversial.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Interesting to see though that you support abortion "at any time" - do you mean right up until birth? Because most people who have a pro-choice outlook would have some manner of cut-off point.
    Indeed many see a huge difference between the debate for early term abortion and late term. Specifying which you are arguing for or against helps avoid confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 xcaramellox

I know this thread seems to be aimed at many religious beliefs but I'm pro abortion, I believe a woman should have a right to choose. For some people it could be the hardest decision of their lives but sometimes it's the right one. I think there should be a fine line though. I think it should be legal but not as an easy way out for every careless teenager. But I am so so strongly against kids having kids.

To me, Children deserve the best quality of life, and even on the pill and using condoms you can still have that risk of getting pregnant, but if you aren't ready for a child, you don't have a steady income, or mentally are not ready, maybe you want to be settled first whatever the reason, you should be allowed to make that choice. It doesn't mean it's always easy but personally if some how it happened to me, I would like the choice I want a family and a house and that great life but if it happened now, it would be no way for me or the child to live.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement