Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Watched the Siege of Jadotville and didn't really enjoy it. Fascinating story and competently made but it just felt a bit cringey at times.

Watched the documentary Holy Hell interviewing ex-members about their time in the Buddhafield cult. It is a fascinating moive and it's a wee bit insane how people can let themselves be sucked into something like that. Well worth a watch.

The original series of Black Mirror are now up on Irish Netflix for anyone interested.

Felt the same about Jadotville. Great story but not a particularly good film on the whole. Wouldn't watch it again or rush out to recommend it.

Would definitely recommend Kajaki if anyone is looking for a war film on Netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Separate threads for film & TV
    Felt the same about Jadotville. Great story but not a particularly good film on the whole. Wouldn't watch it again or rush out to recommend it.

Would definitely recommend Kajaki if anyone is looking for a war film on Netflix

Kajaki is da bomb… or the mine… Absolutely riveting film. A bit slow to get started but I was on the edge of my seat once they got into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Kajaki is da bomb… or the mine… Absolutely riveting film. A bit slow to get started but I was on the edge of my seat once they got into trouble.

Its a great film, but I had to watch it with the subtitles on (no joke!). Some very strong north of England accents in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Homeland: Season 5 coming tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Any word on when season 3 of The Bridge will be up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

flazio wrote: »
    I take it then that you really like The Detectorists?

haha, only noticed that now. Still very good though and well liked on this thread and a search of the thread would prove.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

I watched Religulous last night. Bill Mahers documentary / comedic take on religion and how silly he finds the whole concept. Very entertaining with a good pace to it also.
    There are obviously very serious issues and questions raised and discussed in the show, but all in all it is delivered in a very light and funny way, which lends itself to being quite thought provoking
    (and maybe scary too!)
    Well worth 100 mins of your time if you think this would be your kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Anyone watch Froning: The fittest man alive?
    Interesting enough if you're into Crossfit and its a very easy and engaging watch even if you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Searching for a film to watch on Irish Netflix tonight and the selection has seriously decreased in quality.

At this stage we're talking the xtravision cheap shelf circa 1993 levels of quality for films.

And the generic netflix original templates are wearing thin at this stage

I wish to god amazon prime or summat was available to ireland, I'd pay per film if I was getting to stream stuff I actually want to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bambi wrote: »
    At this stage we're talking the xtravision cheap shelf circa 1993 levels of quality for films.

I wish to god amazon prime or summat was available to ireland, I'd pay per film if I was getting to stream stuff I actually want to watch

iTunes has movies to rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

iTunes and Google Play let you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

iTunes has movies to rent.

Itunes can be ok.

You can watch Amazon prime in Ireland but well you have to "improvise";)

Occono wrote: »
    iTunes and Google Play let you do that.

Good point, it never even occurred to me as I have an absolute aversion to giving money to either of those outfits. Especially Apple.

Though I did subscribe to google play for music when it first came out..and it s**ked balls.

On topic suggestion: "he never died" is worth a watch, the last thing on netflix I can remember thinking was worth recommending to anyone

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm not a fan of the Marvel stuff and it feels like there's a new one every other month. I know it obviously works for them or they wouldn't keep doing it and I suppose a streaming service is the perfect platform for that kind of universe building but it sometimes feels like that's all they're doing.

The new Christopher Guest film, Mascots, comes out at 8am today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone watch Frequency (TV show) which was added this week? Looks decent and has a high score on IMDB

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Synode wrote: »
    Anyone watch Frequency (TV show) which was added this week? Looks decent and has a high score on IMDB
    Watched the first episode last week.. was decent, without being amazing. Worth a watch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

I watched 13 last night, I'm always so skeptical of these types of things, only one of the interviewees at the end said 'ALL LIVES MATTER' which is what it should be about. Black people are so obsessed with separating themselves from the rest of the population, and then the mentions of latinos. They showed the case with Zimmerman, that guy didn't exactly look like a blonde haired wasp.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

BabyE wrote: »
    I watched 13 last night, I'm always so skeptical of these types of things, only one of the interviewees at the end said 'ALL LIVES MATTER' which is what it should be about. Black people are so obsessed with separating themselves from the rest of the population, and then the mentions of latinos. They showed the case with Zimmerman, that guy didn't exactly look like a blonde haired wasp.

You watched it wrong. (assuming you mean 13th)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Good point, it never even occurred to me as I have an absolute aversion to giving money to either of those outfits. Especially Apple.

The windows store does it too, but I'd imagine you wouldn't want to be giving them money either :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The windows store does it too, but I'd imagine you wouldn't want to be giving them money either :D

Why are Netflix or Amazon okay corporations to give money to and the others aren't?

Mickeroo wrote: »

Actually I'd give my money to MS before either of those two
    But I'm in the process of burning cortana with fire on all my windows 10 devices so no :D

I'm not a fan of the Marvel stuff and it feels like there's a new one every other month. I know it obviously works for them or they wouldn't keep doing it and I suppose a streaming service is the perfect platform for that kind of universe building but it sometimes feels like that's all they're doing.

I watched luke cage to the bitter end but by jesus was it done by the numbers

Same with the documentaries that make Michael Moores efforts look balanced and factual.

Just in case anyone thought this "there's sweet FA on netflix nowadays" complaint is just whinging:

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/10/12/2011240/netflix-now-only-has-31-movies-from-imdbs-top-250-list

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

I have the sky cinema package at the moment and while the movie selection is better there's FA variety, movies are on a constant rotation for a straight month or so.

Were not exactly catered for this side of the Isle. But I always manage to find something to find most nights on Netflix so cant complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I have the sky cinema package at the moment and while the movie selection is better there's FA variety, movies are on a constant rotation for a straight month or so.

Were not exactly catered for this side of the Isle. But I always manage to find something to find most nights on Netflix so cant complain.

Great for you that you're not complaining, especially if you're in the "I can find something to watch so can't complain" camp but "Sky vs Netflix" is a false binary competition option. There are people who want to see x,y,z, film title/actor/director on their streaming service yet can't.

If you want to watch a specific movie the only reliable option is iTunes/Google Play, not Sky Movies, nevermind Netflix. It might cost you €12 though if it's not available for rental...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Netflix absolutely isn't good if you only want to watch one specific thing when you turn it on in the evening. It absolutely is good if you go into it just looking for just something to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Watched Mascots there. Not great but a few good laughs in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Watched Mascots there. Not great but a few good laughs in it.

I laughed a few times too. I'd say it's probably better the second time, but it wasn't good enough to watch twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

What a paradox!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement