Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Fag' and 'that's so gay' -- do they bother you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

old hippy wrote: »
    Bringing in a religion that actively persecutes gay people was malicious and offensive.

End of.

Which religion is that now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Can't all ye fags not just agree to disagree? C'mon this is becoming so gay :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

ashers222 wrote: »
    I'd like you to show me the post again which persecuted you.

Scroll back up, then and don't be so lazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭ashers222

For that particular quote^^^, never a truer word spoken.

just my little bit: "Throughout life people will make you mad, disrespect you and treat you bad. Let God deal with the things they do, cause hate in your heart will consume you too"
    Scroll back up, then and don't be so lazy
    I realise you are angry however your anger is being misdirected. There is nothing malicious about this post. I can't find the part which persecutes any poster here for being gay. The poster was responding to the previous comment about moving past those things they find offensive and moving on with their life. Whether you feel that is the right thing to do or not is your own perogative but in this instance the post merely relates to that. This is a poster empathising with gay people who have been persecuted.

I realise you are angry however your anger is being misdirected. There is nothing malicious about this post. I can't find the part which persecutes any poster here for being gay. The poster was responding to the previous comment about moving past those things they find offensive and moving on with their life. Whether you feel that is the right thing to do or not is your own perogative but in this instance the post merely relates to that. This is a poster empathising with gay people who have been persecuted.

By bringing in a fairy tale deity who dominates the Old Testament by hating & smiting sodomites?

Puhhhlease. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ok, I give up. I'm sure Allah will know what to do.

ok, I give up. I'm sure Allah will know what to do.

You're quite obsessed with mixing threads, ain't ya?

Can't you see the difficulty with someone telling gay people not to get hassled by homphobia because "god" will deal with it?

Or are you being wilfully obtuse?

You're quite obsessed with mixing threads, ain't ya?

Can't you see the difficulty with someone telling gay people not to get hassled by homphobia because "god" will deal with it?

Or are you being wilfully obtuse?
    yeah whatever.

yeah whatever.

It's a simple question, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

1Zred, watch your tone

old hippy and ashers, take it to PM

Can we drag this thread back on course please?

• Advertisement

1Zred, watch your tone

old hippy and ashers, take it to PM

Can we drag this thread back on course please?

Taking the piss, relax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

1ZRed wrote: »

Taking the piss, relax

I am aware, no more please. If you want to discuss it further then PM.

I am aware, no more please. If you want to discuss it further then PM.
    This a completely serious forum, no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

It's a simple question, really.

Ok you REALLY need to lighten up. The poster was not preaching or belitting gay people. One mention of God in here and you're going apesh1t about religion persecuting gays?? You do realise people can be religious or spiritual or whatever the hell they like as well as being gay right?

Fúcking hell, I'm not even religious. I don't believe in God, but I thought you're outburst was a bit ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Don't patronise us with your god bobbins. People need to be made aware of the offence they cause here and now. Not in some non existent afterlife.:mad:

I just saw your post.... Patronise? What! Your Username lets you down on so many levels! old hippy? Old usually equals aged (but with wisdom), Hippy normally equates to: relaxed, chilled...open to all?!?!?! I feel sad, sad that people like you use titles that are pure and utter contradictions in terms!!!! but use such to disguise an absolute Hypocrite!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks quit with the sniping

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

havent read all of this thread but yeah, im 22,I tend to call things gay,even call my mates fag from time to time, most of which i am infact out to, I just really grew up around it being a generic insult so it doesnt really offend me any.

bitburger wrote: »
    havent read all of this thread but yeah, im 22,I tend to call things gay,even call my mates fag from time to time, most of which i am infact out to, I just really grew up around it being a generic insult so it doesnt really offend me any.

Out of curiosity, does the history of gay rights interest you?

not really if im honest, ive seen the movie milk alright but thats about it.

Though not often, I use it and it doesn't bother me. I find myself using it to slag my mates more than anything and calling them gheyboys

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    Though not often, I use it and it doesn't bother me. I find myself using it to slag my mates more than anything and calling them gheyboys

pretty much sums it up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

I pretty much agree with the South Park episode about the kids calling the Bikers fags :/ South Park knows me so well...

haha, i was tempted to post a clip from it here last night. worst thing is i ride a loud motorbike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TP1969

I belong to the school where we don't find offence where none is intended and certainly don't take offence if it is intended.

Particularly when it comes to name calling, I don't understand why anyone of sound mind and judgement would want to engage with someone who is calling them names anyhow.

TP1969 wrote: »
    I belong to the school where we don't find offence where none is intended and certainly don't take offence if it is intended.

Particularly when it comes to name calling, I don't understand why anyone of sound mind and judgement would want to engage with someone who is calling them names anyhow.

Well, it depends, I guess.

When someone calls you an offensive name and tries to take a swipe at you, turning the other cheek isn't always an option. It might get bruised.

bitburger wrote: »
    not really if im honest, ive seen the movie milk alright but thats about it.

You're young and carefree. That's great, truly. I'd love to be that age again but as one gets older and maybe a bit cynical, you start to question things. Like, why should I put up with this? The name calling, the casual insults all become repetitive and tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

You're young and carefree. That's great, truly. I'd love to be that age again but as one gets older and maybe a bit cynical, you start to question things. Like, why should I put up with this? The name calling, the casual insults all become repetitive and tiring.

are you straight?

if so, maybe you shouldn't be lecturing gay people about how they should feel, and dismissing their opinions based on age...

if not, you still shouldn't be dismissing opinions based on age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TP1969

Well, it depends, I guess.

When someone calls you an offensive name and tries to take a swipe at you, turning the other cheek isn't always an option. It might get bruised.

Sure, if you want to find offence, or take offence, thats your decision. My decision is not to find offence, or take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

I say gay, queer and ****** all the time. However, my usage of it isn't intended to offend homosexual or bi people. If you find it offensive when someone uses it in a context that isn't directly meant to insult you, then frankly grow up.

Words have several meanings depending on their context, and such meanings can change over time. "******" is a clear example of that. It means anything from a particular kind of English meatball to a bundle of sticks. It's only recently that it has been used as a term for homosexuals.

This is all to do with semiotics, in the aspect on how we perceive words based on our cultural learnings. These words are literally meaningless on their own right, merely pixels on a screen, scribbles on paper or sounds from a mouth/speaker. Other cultures would have completely different meanings and connotations with these words.

Banning these woulds would be fruitless because more words will simply be invented to replace them. Inventing "PC" terms to replace them will eventually become slurs in their own right, due to the wonders of the euphemism threadmill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

shleedance wrote: »
    If you find it offensive when someone uses it in a context that isn't directly meant to insult you, then frankly grow up.

Please acquaint yourself with the forum charter - specifically point 14

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement