Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refugee Centre for Bettystown? - Mod note Post#70

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

What is Bettystown like to live in? Im moving up from Malahide in about 6 weeks as Ive opened a new business in Drogheda. Im looking around for a 4-5 bed house to rent for a year. I dont know Meath or Louth at all, but I want to be within about 20 minutes drive to Drogheda.

This talk of a refugee centre is concerning me, to the point where I might choose somewhere else just in case. Its not that I care about the racist aspect of this, I just know that Ive spent a lot of time working in Balbriggan and I prefer to live in an area which is mainly white. Huge differences in cultures and income. I dont want to move somewhere that has a high risk of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dubbie82

@ djrichard
    Tell me when you find a house, I want to make sure I am not living next to you. Sure you know white people and the difference of income and culture and all... I don't want to live in an area with a high risk of prejudice and bigotry :confused:

dubbie82 wrote: »
    @ djrichard
    Tell me when you find a house, I want to make sure I am not living next to you. Sure you know white people and the difference of income and culture and all... I don't want to live in an area with a high risk of prejudice and bigotry :confused:

OK, so you would move out because I would live next to you....this forum really is full of the biggest clowns ever. I dont know your personal circumstances, but youre possibly like me. I didnt have the slightest personal opinion of people from other countries, probably because where Im from I had NEVER ever met anyone that wasnt white. Education and upbringing taught me that ANY form of racism was wrong, that we were all human beings on the one planet and we should all care and look out for each other. I believed this strongly and couldnt understand when I grew up and heard people talking about "paki" this and "black B" that. I was appalled.

I still think its awful when people try and tar everyone with the same brush simply due to their colour or race. However, my own personal experience with
    non-EU coloured people has changed my view on them as a whole. As much as I am annoyed with myself for potentially developing racial profiling, I cannot pretend that the actions I see with my very own eyes doesnt exist simply because society considers racism wrong. Racism is a very touchy subject, and something which can be difficult to discuss on public forums such as Boards, because you run a very high risk of having the thread closed, or your account banned if you are deemed to be racist. Mods are particularly sensitive to it and will often shut anyone up for fear of anything getting out of hand. I didnt post here to alienate anyone from any races, but if you were to ask the vast majority of people if they would be happy to have a refugee centre plonked on their doorstep, I think you would find the answer would be no. Its an absolute fact that many of these refugees come from countries where stealing and theft is not seen in the same light as it is here. The crimes they commit can be much more brutally violent, often using machettes to hack each other up.

Of course there are many Irish people who are going around doing the same thing, robbing and terrifying people, but at the end of the day, however many times people such as yourself try to tell me otherwise, coloured people from foreign lands bring little to help this society and are more than happy to put their hands out and accept all the welfare state offers them. Which, when you think about it is a complete joke when you consider the fact this countries Government cant even run its own affairs properly without putting their hands out with the begging bowl to Europe for assistance. Perhaps they ought to consider sorting out their own affairs before offering even more assistance to even more so called refugees. Dont even get me started on all the NAMA properties all around the country boarded up and decaying....

Oh and one last point, with regards to you not wanting to live to people with high prejudice and bigotry, well maybe its just the 50 or so new people I meet every day, but virtually ALL of them cant stand the influx of non-EU nationals living here in Ireland. So I think youre going to have to live in a remote field, or if youre somehow fortunate enough to find a small hamlet with people who have yet to personally experience how much areas have changed since the arrival of immigrants/refugees.

Probably this will be edited, or I will be warned about this post. I have read it again and I dont believe I have written anything offensive, just stating an opinion.

On topic.

I had a drive through Bettystown yesterday, not very sure about the place. Looks quite run down. Not affluent in anyway. Quite dissapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

'Coloured' people? That says it all. Your post gave me such a sick feeling in my stomach. In my view, the opinions in it are heavily racist, and you sound like you are a member of a far right movement (not saying you are, but that is the political side with which your opinions chime). There are non-EU nationals in my area, and they do not seem to cause any more trouble than any other grouping (and what a large grouping your 'non-EU nationals' are - could you generalise any more?).
    You can hold your opinions if you like, of course, but I just wanted to show that I don't. I wouldn't like anyone to think that you necessarily represent the mindset of long-term or native residents in Ireland, as there are many people who do not object so viciously to the 'non-EU nationals' as you do.

I certainly am not a member of any far right movement, or any movement of any sort. Just an opinion based on my own personal experiences with individuals. Of course there are many who are delighted to be here and they will work hard and grasp every opportunity they can. I certainly didnt say every single one.

Im my work I meet them everyday, I have to ask them what they do for a living and you would be shocked at just how frequently I hear "Work??? hahahahaa I dont work." and when I enquire as to how long they have lived in Ireland and how did they support their families etc, the stock response with absolutely no shame at all is "The Government pay me, Ive been here 6 years, never worked any of those days, why would I? I have everything I need, there is no reason to work."

Now let me tell you, when these people have been given a BRAND new house, they are driving a car and have LCD tvs hanging from the walls. it makes ME sick knowing that its my hard earned tax that is funding it. I am very bold and I point out that its people such as myself that is paying for them and dont they feel any guilt that they are not contributing to the society that has so generously supported them. Almost ten times a day the exact same response from them all, a shrug of the shoulders and a "no" and a look which I interpret as saying "WTF are you talking about, dont blame me, blame the Government".

I cant stand how people coming on here preaching about racism, so scared to have an opinion on a subject just because it might offend someone. What about my rights? What about how I feel when I see my money being poured away on another countires problems? IM OFFENDED!

We are being fleeced and I dont even blame these individuals, if you offer it out, why should we be surprised when people take it. There is absolutely zero incentive for them to work, because as they said "I have everything I need". By the way, I feel the exact same way about the welfare muppets from Ireland too, the ones who are more than capable of getting a job but choose not to because the welfare is once again, not providing enough incentive to get off their lazy arses and find a job. I know its hard to find a job, but those that can, should be forced to prove they are seeking employment, the way they do in the UK. "I canna find a job" isnt sufficient. I want to know what they applied for, what interviews they have been to etc etc. If they can work and are in receipt of benefit, why is the Government not making use of all this spare time these individuals have any make them earn their benefits. Get them out cleaning, doing community work to improve the place. God knows there are millions of small maintenance jobs needing done that the councils cant pay for. If they started doing some work like that, it would help break the psychological cycle they are in, give them some confidence and perhaps before you know it, they end up actually looking for and getting a job. Tens of thousands feel trapped and feel there is no hope.

I generalised by saying non-EU simply because I didnt want to say "Africans" and force the hand of any mods who are trying to keep the site in order. That is how ridiculous its all got, I cant even be specific about a nationality if it involves blacks or ethnics, because I would be in trouble. If I were to post up something slating Irish people as a whole, probably few, if any, would be shouting out about racism, because it apparently is OK to make the exact same statements if its your own people, but not others. Its all so obviously wrong on so many levels that I wonder about the intelligence of these discussions.

I suggest you go and live in Balbriggan for a few months and then come back on here and tell me if your opinion has changed when you actually get some first hand experience on this subject. Its easy to preach from the ivory tower!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

djrichard wrote: »
    What is Bettystown like to live in? Im moving up from Malahide in about 6 weeks as Ive opened a new business in Drogheda. Im looking around for a 4-5 bed house to rent for a year. I dont know Meath or Louth at all, but I want to be within about 20 minutes drive to Drogheda.

This talk of a refugee centre is concerning me, to the point where I might choose somewhere else just in case. Its not that I care about the racist aspect of this, I just know that Ive spent a lot of time working in Balbriggan and I prefer to live in an area which is mainly white. Huge differences in cultures and income. I dont want to move somewhere that has a high risk of crime.

Meh. It has a beach which is nice for dog walking. It's 10 minutes away from the M1. It has a fairly large Tescos. You can get a nice meal in Relish. Although it is a little shabby around the seafront, behind has lots of new build estates which are quiet and smart enough. However the beach aside pretty low on charm and not a place where I want to stay forever (moved here last summer). If you want to travel regularly into Drogheda I think the Louth coast might be more preferable.

As for the rest, yeah non-nationals migrating to Ireland and living on welfare isn't very desirable but don't tar all with the same brush and don't tell me there aren't a load of lazy Irish feckers happy to sponge off the state...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I only just stumbled upon this post and it saddens me greatly how people in here react to rumours. "Concerned for the wellfare", anxious about it, a very sad affair altogether. Mosney has been run for many years without too many mention worthy incidents, and things that do occur are very similar to the ones in "our" communities.

A large percentage of the Mosney inhabitants have been moved to the new estate in Garristown, without any protests and suspicion from the locals. Yes, I'll agree, there's the odd comment here and there, but sure that's normal enough. From a country of immigrants - the Irish are one of the largest communities represented abroad, I still stuns me how nothing is a go-go when it's in our proximity.

I also hope the mods close this thread down sooner than later as it gives a horrible representation of the lovely people I know living around Bettystown and in Co.Meath.

Oh and by the way: writing in caps lock on an internet forum is considered very rude. It's the typing equivalent of shouting/screaming/ranting and is extremely annoying for anyone to read...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Fussy Eater

Yeah, clearly there's some xenophobia floating around this thread but at the same time let's be honest, you wouldn't want a massive asylum centre in the middle of your village any more than you'd want a nuclear power plant, cement factory or Formula 1 circuit....

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Please leave out the sweeping generalisations. Whatever your viewpoint is on our assylum seeker and refugee in take, it does not mean that you can make statements about a whole community. Every community has good, bad and indifferent elements and that includes people from Ireland.

Any more posts of this nature may result in an infraction, deletion or a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Iamanimmigrant

whatde wrote: »
    MULTI CULTURAL MIX??
    I AM LIKE A STRANGER IN MY OWN TOWN!
    THERE ARE TOO MANY NON NATIONS LIVING IN IRELAND.
    SINCE WHEN DOES A TAKE OVER OF NON NATIONALS IN CERTAIN AREAS INVOLVE A MIX?I WAS THE ONLY IRISH PERSON AT MY PETROL STATION THE OTHER DAY IN A Q OF SIX . AND THIS IS THE CASE EVERYWHERE NOW.
    WE AR5E A SMALL NATION AND ARE UNABLE TO SUSTAIN THE INFLUX
    XENOPHOBE? VICE VERSA

Ireland is a small nation but do you know that you have more Irish people living outside Ireland than those that live inside Ireland?...please read the history of your country before you comment. I can’t believe that the same discrimination and rejection that your ancestors went through during the potato famine when they migrated to other countries is what you are putting people through.

What does colour of people's skin got to do with anything? we are one; one human race. by the way, if another famine should break out remember to take your local fuelling station with you when you decide to emigrate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Iamanimmigrant

djrichard wrote: »
    I certainly am not a member of any far right movement, or any movement of any sort. Just an opinion based on my own personal experiences with individuals. Of course there are many who are delighted to be here and they will work hard and grasp every opportunity they can. I certainly didnt say every single one.

Im my work I meet them everyday, I have to ask them what they do for a living and you would be shocked at just how frequently I hear "Work??? hahahahaa I dont work." and when I enquire as to how long they have lived in Ireland and how did they support their families etc, the stock response with absolutely no shame at all is "The Government pay me, Ive been here 6 years, never worked any of those days, why would I? I have everything I need, there is no reason to work."

Now let me tell you, when these people have been given a BRAND new house, they are driving a car and have LCD tvs hanging from the walls. it makes ME sick knowing that its my hard earned tax that is funding it. I am very bold and I point out that its people such as myself that is paying for them and dont they feel any guilt that they are not contributing to the society that has so generously supported them. Almost ten times a day the exact same response from them all, a shrug of the shoulders and a "no" and a look which I interpret as saying "WTF are you talking about, dont blame me, blame the Government".

I cant stand how people coming on here preaching about racism, so scared to have an opinion on a subject just because it might offend someone. What about my rights? What about how I feel when I see my money being poured away on another countires problems? IM OFFENDED!

We are being fleeced and I dont even blame these individuals, if you offer it out, why should we be surprised when people take it. There is absolutely zero incentive for them to work, because as they said "I have everything I need". By the way, I feel the exact same way about the welfare muppets from Ireland too, the ones who are more than capable of getting a job but choose not to because the welfare is once again, not providing enough incentive to get off their lazy arses and find a job. I know its hard to find a job, but those that can, should be forced to prove they are seeking employment, the way they do in the UK. "I canna find a job" isnt sufficient. I want to know what they applied for, what interviews they have been to etc etc. If they can work and are in receipt of benefit, why is the Government not making use of all this spare time these individuals have any make them earn their benefits. Get them out cleaning, doing community work to improve the place. God knows there are millions of small maintenance jobs needing done that the councils cant pay for. If they started doing some work like that, it would help break the psychological cycle they are in, give them some confidence and perhaps before you know it, they end up actually looking for and getting a job. Tens of thousands feel trapped and feel there is no hope.

I generalised by saying non-EU simply because I didnt want to say "Africans" and force the hand of any mods who are trying to keep the site in order. That is how ridiculous its all got, I cant even be specific about a nationality if it involves blacks or ethnics, because I would be in trouble. If I were to post up something slating Irish people as a whole, probably few, if any, would be shouting out about racism, because it apparently is OK to make the exact same statements if its your own people, but not others. Its all so obviously wrong on so many levels that I wonder about the intelligence of these discussions.

I suggest you go and live in Balbriggan for a few months and then come back on here and tell me if your opinion has changed when you actually get some first hand experience on this subject. Its easy to preach from the ivory tower!

To start with, no immigrant will tell you all that about their work situation or else you are a police man and they are under interrogation but even if they are under interrogation they would not say to you ..... "Work??? hahahahaa I dont work." "The Government pay me, I’ve been here 6 years, never worked any of those days, why would I? I have everything I need, there is no reason to work.".....you must think that the people reading this are fools, although some people have foolishly believed anything they like because of their hatred of people who do not look Irish. Mind you, there are other people like Australians, people from Finland etc but as long as people do not look foreign, you are happy

Before you write about what the asylum seekers are costing, please do your research first, I use to live in Mosney and believe me it is far from what you guys say, I was getting €19.00 a week and could not work because I was not given the legal right to work nor go to school in Ireland and that is the same for everyone living in Mosney until their cases are sorted and when their cases are sorted, whatever they get from welfare and the process of getting it is no different from everyone else, so what is all these things you are writing about? Why are you so hateful? Your comment here is so sickening, you treat people who are running away from home like crap. You claim that your money is being poured away on another country’s problems (how are we sure you even work)....do your research on the number of countries that sent money to help Ireland during the famine....a lot of African countries also helped Ireland.

On the subject of why some immigrants do not work, what do you expect? After people have been left in refugee camps for many years and finally released and given right to work, you think they can just work into any place and start working?, especially when there are people like you out there to discriminate and refuse to give them jobs. People like you complain that they do not work and when they work you complain that they are taking up all the jobs and leaving Irish people with no jobs; make up your mind. Once more, I will still advice you to do your research to find out who is really sponging the system, Irish people are. A lot of these immigrants come from countries where working hard is normal but Irish people are born into this system of free stuff. You see an immigrant living in a new house and assume that the government is responsible, has it occurred to you that the immigrant may have bought it? For your information a lot of immigrants earn good money by doing very hard jobs, i.e. the average care assistant earns good income not to mention bus drivers...

On what basis do you dislike these people? In my opinion, It’s simply because they look different from Irish people and they do not blend into the Irish landscape, there are a lot of British people and other non Irish in Ireland but no one can easily spot them because they easily blend into the society and are accepted.

I am African and I lived in Mosney, for me, days in Mosney are some of the darkest days of my life which I will never forget. Today I am rounding up my degree course in Trinity College and people also think that the government paid for my education. I paid for every cent because in Ireland if you are not a citizen you have to pay over seven thousand euros every year to go to University. While my Irish class mates are able to go on holidays during the summer breaks, I work all through the summer to earn my school fess and during school months, I work every weekend as well but people never stop spreading rumours. The saddest thing is that although you have every information available to you via the internet, citizen’s information centre’s etc yet a lot of people chose not find out the truth but prefer to spread damaging rumours just because they would like to keep Ireland white. Very SAD.

Just one more thing, every day we hear about killings, gang activities and other crimes on tv, how many of them are by Immigrants?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

I would like to thank "Iamanimmagrant" for their reasonable and well-written posts. I know someone who is a solicitor specialising in refugee law so I can vouch for a lot of what you have said. It is true that asylum seekers are, contrary to popular belief, only entitled to €19 per week. Only *if* you are one day legally defined as a 'refugee' (which is an exceptionally hard task to achieve in Ireland - takes many many years and a huge body of evidence to prove you are fleeing a war torn country etc.) are you entitled to the basic weekly welfare which people get angry about.

If people did some research they will find out all of the above. Ireland is one of the toughest countries in the EU in which to obtain refugee status. The stories about the conditions in Mosney are pretty awful - there are people who have been there for up to 7 years (they cannot leave for more than a day or two because they have to sign on at the local garda station) literally being driven insane (many of this solicitors' clients are now clinically diagnosed with mental conditions especially depression) in the cramped bedrooms.

When you are legally defined as an asylum seeker (not a refugee) then you are also not entitled to work in the country, in any capacity. There was one client from Lebanon who was an excellent chef there and who had job offers from Lebanese restaurants in Ireland but, because he couldn't obtain refugee status, he was stuck in Mosney for 5 years on €19 per week. He had also fully integrated into the local community and his kids were learning Irish etc.

Of course I accept there are bad apples and people who really shouldn't be in this country but the anecdotal evidence I have is that these truly are in the minority and the majority are just trying to flee horrible lives in their home countries...just like the Irish did for the last two centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

I was going to reply to djRichard's post but Surinam and Iamanimmigrant did it much better than I ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭hoggie-bear

Eh yeah so back to the original topic - The refugees have started moving into Bettystown Court Hotel - there are currently 6 families living there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Hoggie-bear please stop trolling on this thread to wind people up. Your statement above is wholly incorrect .

tweety76 wrote: »
    Hoggie-bear please stop trolling on this thread to wind people up. Your statement above is wholly incorrect .

I'm not a child I don't come on here to "wind people up".
    I hate to inform you but I'm not incorrect. I am from the area, there is 6 families living there at the moment, they have just been moved in.

More to follow. I have no problem with it personally but saw this thread and said I would update!

Unless my eyes deceive me there appears to be no one inhabiting the building apart from the 24 hour security!!

When were these "6 families" moved in?

The lady in the launderette said it. She was talkin to a Nigerian woman who said she just moved into the bettystown court hotel along with other families last Friday and it's that same woman who is openin that clothes shop next door to the launderette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

The lady in the launderette said it. She was talkin to a Nigerian woman who said she just moved into the bettystown court hotel along with other families last Friday and it's that same woman who is openin that clothes shop next door to the launderette.

Well if she is the same women who is opening a business next to the launderette, then she can not be an asylum seeker, as an asylum seeker has no right to work or set up a business, while an asylum seeker may try to work illegally they are not going to do it in full view of the whole town.

So I think someone is yanking someones chain.

So you haven't actually seen it with your own eyes? These families living there? There is no electricity being supplied to the place do you think "the families" are living without heating/lighting/electricity??? Someone is definitely yanking your chain I am afraid....

• Advertisement

Maybe someone is yanking my chain but it doesn't mean it's not going to happen. I truly believe it will. Asylum seekers can work once they claim refuge no? Isn't that what they have done? I'm only sharing what I heard btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Maybe someone is yanking my chain but it doesn't mean it's not going to happen. I truly believe it will. Asylum seekers can work once they claim refuge no? Isn't that what they have done? I'm only sharing what I heard btw!

An asylum seeker has no right to work or social welfare. Only after granted asylum, then they are no longer housed in asylum centre.

The minister has said earlier this year no plans to use hotel.

http://www.ria.gov.ie/en/RIA/Pages/PQ13603_March2012

I would say if the hotel was knocked down people would still want to believe it was going to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I would love to see the place knocked down. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

just seen a few people from Africa walking in and around the place.BTW When is the gathering on the Beach this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Stopped and had a chat with one of the security guards. He says nothing is planned as far as he is concerned.

I am apalled at the prospect of any refugee or social housing going there. Don't care if they are black white or blue, when has multi story social accommodation ever improved an area? The problem is also that having over a hundred families living in such close quarters is asking for trouble and this won't be limited to the hotel and will spill into the town.

Never ceases to amaze how People are all for social housing when it's not on their street.

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/news/refugee-rumours-a-load-of-rubbish-3035064.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It should be knocked - it's rapidly becoming an eye-sore, and I would've thought the chance of it re-opening as hotel, given the over-supply in the market, is minimal.

Also there is zero chance of it being used as residential accommodation for immigrants or anyone else for that matter - for the same reason it won't be knocked.

The builder is still getting the tax write-off / relief against it. If it's turned into hostel or residential accommodation he'll be liable to return the relief claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

just seen a few people from Africa walking in and around the place.BTW When is the gathering on the Beach this year??

Might be this Sunday 5th August, it's my understanding that they might be coming down but locals say they won't tolerate any nonsense this year, IF they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

He woman who owns the clothes shop next to the launderette lives in Laytown !

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

And yet MORE rumours going around about this again since yesterday. I wish they would just knock down that stupid hotel so people on facebook etc would stop getting all up in arms about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Sorry to dig up an old thread but this seems to coming back on the agenda again for the Bettystown hotel and general area. I've heard plenty of rumours but it could be just that. The site is up for sale and I've been informed one of the potential 2 buyers is looking to move the families from money into the area. Does anyone have any concrete info as apposed to rumours?

Advertisement