Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refugee Centre for Bettystown? - Mod note Post#70

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 whatde

Jelly2 wrote: »
    Other places in Ireland have had refugee centres, so why all the fuss about Bettystown? It's not the end of the world for it.

WHERE DO YOU LIVE????
    IS THERE A REFUGEE CAMP ON YOUR DOOR STEP??
    MOSNEY IS THE BIGGEST REFUGEE CENTER IN EUROPE
    IT IS HOLDING AROUND 700+ REFUGEES. THAT'S MORE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN ANY ESTATE IN BETTYSTOWN.SO WAKE UP HIPPY MAN. THIS IS VERY SERIOUS FOR ALL BETTYSTOWN/JULIANSTOWN/LAYTOWN/MORNINGTON RESIDENCES.LAST YEAR THE NIGERIANS WERE ON LAYTOWN BEACH AND CAUSED MURDER WITH THE LOCALS(AND THEY WEREN'T REFUGEES)I AM VERY VERY CONCERNED FOR THE WELFARE OF OUR CONSTITUENTS :mad::mad:

:mad:
    zef wrote: »
    No matter what race, nationality, colour or county of origin , we are all people and need somewhere to live.
    If people bitch about asylum seekers / 'dole heads' etc, and 'all they're getting', why don't they try swapping places with them for a little while and see how *sweet* their lives really are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

whatde wrote: »
    WHERE DO YOU LIVE????
    IS THERE A REFUGEE CAMP ON YOUR DOOR STEP??
    MOSNEY IS THE BIGGEST REFUGEE CENTER IN EUROPE
    IT IS HOLDING AROUND 700+ REFUGEES. THAT'S MORE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN ANY ESTATE IN BETTYSTOWN.SO WAKE UP HIPPY MAN. THIS IS VERY SERIOUS FOR ALL BETTYSTOWN/JULIANSTOWN/LAYTOWN/MORNINGTON RESIDENCES.LAST YEAR THE NIGERIANS WERE ON LAYTOWN BEACH AND CAUSED MURDER WITH THE LOCALS(AND THEY WEREN'T REFUGEES)I AM VERY VERY CONCERNED FOR THE WELFARE OF OUR CONSTITUENTS :mad::mad:

That's you banned, these forums are not fond of anything that might be slightly contentious, throw in asylum seekers and you're gone.

spoke to a friend who lives in the apartments next to the hotel. the refugees are moving in this monday/tuesday into the bettystown court hotel. i didnt move out here and pay a whopper of a mortgage for this to be set up our door steps.i AM VERY CONCERNED
    WHAT CAN WE DO ?

Oddjob wrote: »
    That's you banned, these forums are not fond of anything that might be slightly contentious, throw in asylum seekers and you're gone.

"THROW IN ASYLUM SEEKERS" SOUNDS CONTENTIOUS TO ME

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jammygit123

spoke to a friend who lives in the apartments next to the hotel. the refugees are moving in this monday/tuesday into the bettystown court hotel. i didnt move out here and pay a whopper of a mortgage for this to be set up our door steps.i AM VERY CONCERNED
    WHAT CAN WE DO ?

I emailed our local council representative Sirena Campbell who could not answer yes or no to the decision to move the residents of Mosney to the Bettystown Court Hotel. She has advised me that she has requested an answer from the minister.
    I am very surprised to hear that even local councillors have not been made aware of the situation.
    I will update you with her response when I get it.

This is an utter disgrace that local residents were not consulted on this decision. Whoever gave the green light on this should come to a public meeting with the local residents wereto explain the rationale behind the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭Oddjob

I emailed our local council representative Sirena Campbell who could not answer yes or no to the decision to move the residents of Mosney to the Bettystown Court Hotel. She has advised me that she has requested an answer from the minister.
    I am very surprised to hear that even local councillors have not been made aware of the situation.
    I will update you with her response when I get it.

This is an utter disgrace that local residents were not consulted on this decision. Whoever gave the green light on this should come to a public meeting with the local residents wereto explain the rationale behind the move.

The local residents weren't consulted? Why would they be consulted, they're hardly going to agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

The local residents weren't consulted? Why would they be consulted, they're hardly going to agree.

Exactly. No one wants 700 asylum seekers and whatever social problems they may cause on their doorstep. Which is why we need to process them either out of the country or into society faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Whatde- I am female, for your information.
    The 'old' ireland is gone, and i for one am not sorry. It's good to have a multi-cultural mix in society, pity there are so many xenophobes like you around.
    Bottom line, we are all people, we all have the same needs and desires for our families. To be fed, warm, and safe. Why would you want to deny that to a fellow human being who has never wronged you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

WHAT ARE YOU ON MAN

Its not "Caps Lock" - thats for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

This must just be a hoax. I went past there a few times over the weekend and there wasn't much activity around the place.

nc6000 wrote: »
    This must just be a hoax. I went past there a few times over the weekend and there wasn't much activity around the place.

Tats why they are being moved in on a week day so majority of people who be around the weekend wont see them as they are probably in out of the rain or at work.im going down that way in about an hour i will pot then with any update.

:mad:
    how about you swap with them or even better give the hotel to the homeless men and women of ireland who have been evicted out of thier homes because they couldnt keep up mortgage repayments. and on the top floor make room for the battered wives of ireland. we have our own serious problems. by the way i like bob marley too I am not racist,

SO YOU UNDERSTAND WHERE WE COME ! IF THE PEOPLE DONT WANT SOMETHING IN THEIR AREA , WELL, IS IT NOT IN THE CONSTITUTION THAT OUR BASIC RIGHT AS CITIZENS OF OUR GREAT NATION THAT WE ARE ENTITLED TO VOTE ON LOCAL ISSUES SUCH AS THIS?

zef wrote: »
    Whatde- I am female, for your information.
    The 'old' ireland is gone, and i for one am not sorry. It's good to have a multi-cultural mix in society, pity there are so many xenophobes like you around.
    Bottom line, we are all people, we all have the same needs and desires for our families. To be fed, warm, and safe. Why would you want to deny that to a fellow human being who has never wronged you?

MULTI CULTURAL MIX??
    I AM LIKE A STRANGER IN MY OWN TOWN!
    THERE ARE TOO MANY NON NATIONS LIVING IN IRELAND.
    SINCE WHEN DOES A TAKE OVER OF NON NATIONALS IN CERTAIN AREAS INVOLVE A MIX?I WAS THE ONLY IRISH PERSON AT MY PETROL STATION THE OTHER DAY IN A Q OF SIX . AND THIS IS THE CASE EVERYWHERE NOW.
    WE AR5E A SMALL NATION AND ARE UNABLE TO SUSTAIN THE INFLUX
    XENOPHOBE? VICE VERSA

Can you give the caps a rest please?

"by the way i like bob marley too I am not racist, "
    "I WAS THE ONLY IRISH PERSON AT MY PETROL STATION THE OTHER DAY IN A Q OF SIX . AND THIS IS THE CASE EVERYWHERE NOW.

It's good you like Bob Marley, fair play! You are obviously not a racist then, my mistake.
    I'd be careful at them petrol stations tho, maybe bring a few Irish friends along to even out the numbers next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Please leave racism out, keep them opinions to yourselfs.

Back to the topic, I have lived in bettystown for over 20 years and I got to know a lot of people in the area, there are a lot of rumours going around the area at the moment, these are only rumours but it is the understanding that this property and the hole site incuding tesco is under Nama ownership. The government want to use the hotel and finish the apartments for refuge status. It is only a rumour but driving past every day there is no sign of any activity in the building, I really think this is a rumour and I'll believe it when I see people moving in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TheTaker

Last Sunday week there were protests outside the hotel. This seems to be more than rumour and simply waiting to believe it "when you see people moving in" will be too late. I too live in Bettystown a number of years and paid over the odds for my house and am extremely frustrated and annoyed that our government could try sneek this past us. Of course we woudn't agree to have our community influxed with refugees but damn we are entitled to know what is happening in our area. I also know a lot of people who own apartments beside the hotel and have already put up with a lot of distress with Pat Neville builders.

I urge all Bettystown occupants to contact the local coucillors and demand an answer to this. I have done same and will update when I get a response, either way.

TheTaker wrote: »
    Last Sunday week there were protests outside the hotel. This seems to be more than rumour and simply waiting to believe it "when you see people moving in" will be too late. I too live in Bettystown a number of years and paid over the odds for my house and am extremely frustrated and annoyed that our government could try sneek this past us. Of course we woudn't agree to have our community influxed with refugees but damn we are entitled to know what is happening in our area. I also know a lot of people who own apartments beside the hotel and have already put up with a lot of distress with Pat Neville builders.

I urge all Bettystown occupants to contact the local coucillors and demand an answer to this. I have done same and will update when I get a response, either way.

I've tried to contact local councillors aswell but with no success, I don't really know what to make of situation. I'm going to try and set up a meeting ASAP for local and invite the politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TheTaker

Did you hear anything back from the councillors? Are they playing ignorant?

TheTaker wrote: »
    Did you hear anything back from the councillors? Are they playing ignorant?

It's pretty much leaving messages, don't know where they are !

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mm1

Hi i live in Bettystown aswell, and have also heard this rumour, i rang a few local councilors about this, one told me she'd been onto the Reception of Integration Agency RIA. and they've said that there are no short term or long term plans in place atm,, another told me that she'd spoken to the minister for justice and he'd heard nothing about it. still waiting to here from others who've been contacted by friends of mine.. i've also been told that the lease for Mosney is up in July,, and that there have been builders in there to give prices for turning Mosney into A DAY PRISON.. The local school around the this area and further have been contacted about places for September from someone working in Mosney,, they were trying to find out how many places the schools had available. So there are some signs there that something is deffinitly happening, but no one is willing to let us know,, very frustrating to think that this might all be getting done on the hush hush..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mm1

Thanks for that Brenchman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

oh ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Vego wrote: »
    the DI suggests its the neptune hotel ...where as you guys are on about the brennans hotel ??

BETTYSTOWN is not going to be used as a housing centre for refugees, despite rumours sweeping the village that the Neptune Beach or Bettystown Court Hotel is being converted into accommodation for ex-mosney residents.

That is where it says Brennan's ie Bettystown court

There is a difference between 'refugees' and 'asylum seekers'.
    Refugees have fled their country of origin and been accepted by another country, prior to getting refugee status these people are 'asylum seekers'.
    I think these people in Mosney are Asylum seekers? Not being pedantic I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CarolineReid

Chubi wrote: »
    Hi All,

Has anyone heard anything about some ôr all of the refugee centre moving from Mosney to The Bettystown Court Hotel??

May be an off the wall rumour but there has been 24 hour security there for the last while so it looks like something is going on?

Thanks,
    Chubi
    Hi, I heard the same thing from someone who knows someone that works in mosney. So I think it may be certain, I just want to know is there anything we can do to prevent it? As far as I know and I'm no expert in this field, but as they are still claiming asylum our government doesn't know anything about them which means that some of the men could be rapist or pedophiles. Now I'm not racist to any nationality but as a mother of three young children in the area, I have fears of everyone that comes into contact with them but more so people that have no true history that we know of. There must be something we can do to prevent this?

• Advertisement

This discussion seems to have gone very quiet and there isn't any activity in the hotel. Is it safe to assume at this stage that it was just a hoax?

Advertisement