Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom are duping customers - beware!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

zenno wrote: »
    Is that so...

Eircom ! First ever Over usage Charge!
    Hey,

I got an eircom bill today! and i was shocked to see I was charged for going over my internet usage limit. First time ever!

But heres the thing! , I was on a 3mb line with 30GB allowance , and i found out that everyone got upgraded to 8mb line with 10GB allowance during the summer!!!! and my line can only get 3mb anyway..?????

It seems unfair im getting charged for going over my allowance when i got "upgraded"...seems like a downgrade to me.

I owe 40euro extra with them, do I have any rights?

Source: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056061362

never believe what customer care says, as you have to wake them up first and then ask them again are they fully awake as to take your message verbally.

As the new take-over of Eircom will happen soon or over the next few months be careful because I cannot see this faulty business melding with good business intentions. ask yourself why are they selling Eircom again ? what's this the 6th 7th time ?. common sense should prevail in the consumer locality.

Hi zenno,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

My advice would be to ensure that you are using the NGB Usage Meter and keep an eye on this.

The NGB Usage meter can be downloaded from the NGB website : www.ngb.ie

If you find you are constantly going over your 10Gb cap, then I would advise that you possibly upgrade your account to the NGB 'Ulimited' cap. The cost involved is relatively low, at €5 per month additionally to your current broadband package. Your NGB broadband allows for consistent uploads and downloads, even during peak times. This free upgrade will improve your broadband connection and you need to keep an eye on your broadband usage up to 10Gb. With the advanced usage package, you won't have to worry about this as your usage is 250Gb.

What is a GB / How much download can I do with a GB?
    A GigaByte is 1024 Mb. It roughly equates to downloading:

Downloading 170 songs
    Downloading one movie
    Streaming 70 minutes of YouTube HD clips

Note: *NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times.
    NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases).

ADSL is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for. See www.ngb.ie for more

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Anyone able to tell me how I can change my wireless password?? MY bloody useage this month is apparently 50 gigs. There's only two laptops and 1 xbox thats be online in the house and we're not here till the evening so it can't be us using that much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Arawn wrote: »
    Anyone able to tell me how I can change my wireless password?? MY bloody useage this month is apparently 50 gigs. There's only two laptops and 1 xbox thats be online in the house and we're not here till the evening so it can't be us using that much

Assuming you have an Eircom modem type 192.168.1.254 into the address bar at the top of your browser to the left you will see ''wireless'' you can change your wireless to WPA it's more secure than WEP security.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Some info here:
    http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=335&E=0000000000000946551&K=6619&Sxi=5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Wpa 2 is whats on it not WEP, there's no way it can be that high already with just me and the other lad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Appreciate your comments and apologies for the delay posting.

I realise that some terms like unlimited are used in a general way and that there's always different views on terms like unlimited and this is not an absolute science

Could you please once and for all either stop this nonsense or in some way back it up?

How exactly is "unlimited" used in a "general" way? And other than those in the marketing departments of companies who wish to deceive customers and potential customers where are the different views? Unfortunately for your good self there is absolutely no doubt about the meaning of the word "unlmited" it means simply without limit - is it that hard to grasp?

The Oxford English Dictionary defines "unlimited" as "not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent."

Where exactly is the confusion or the different view on the meaning? Can you produce any different views on the meaning of "unlimited"?

The term 'Fair usage' is used by many companies like eircom. It is primarily used to avoid abuse of the system and to support the vast mass of broadband users.

Fascinating! The term is indeed used by many companies like Eircom in association with "unlimited" but frequent use does not make something right. The term is used by companies like Eircom to deceive!!!! If there is a so called "fair usage" attached to a product then it has a cap.

Could you tell us how using a word to deliberately deceive people helps "to avoid abuse of the system"???? And what exactly does supporting the "vast mass of broadband users" actually mean?

Surely the best way for any isp to provide good service to its customers is to provide clearly defined products that the system can support?
    Obviously there are some who may have an interest in dialectically opposing eircom or anything they do. That's fair enough. This is an open discussion forum and I respect your views. In this respect though, I think that we will have to differ on this.

Ah poor Eircom you are being bullied on boards!!!! What are you talking about? Could you explain what you mean by this nonsense?
    there are some who may have an interest dialectically opposing eircom or anything they do

Could you tell us who this "some" are and what "interest" is? and please please do tell us what "dialectically opposing" means?

Do you mean those of us who object to Eircom attempting to redefine the English language so as to deceive people or maybe those of us appalled at the Eircom who betrayed its customers and staff and in the process broke the law and its own procedures by failing to protect data as it should have? Or on a daily basis demonstrates its failure to have proper systeme in place to back up the offers it makes to the public?

Incidentally this is the second time recently that an Eircom rep has referred to this forum being an open discussion forum. Is there some sort of implication in this type of remark? Are well all supposed to be singing hymns of praise to Eircom or something like that? Is Eircom feeling under appreciated these days?
    250GB is certainly an awsome download /upload usage. It would be quite difficult for standard residential broadband users to go over this amount. Same for any one who's a gamer /or into Skyping their friends and family /or for any one that just likes watching video online. This is a huge amount of broadband usage. It's probably the last comment, and fair to say it's best to agree to differ on what constitutes fair usage; in respect of residential broadband.

Thanks again for your posts.
    Ant

As I have pointed out before what you may consider to be an "awsome" download amount is irrelevant (as are my considerations)

The best way to determine what is relevant to a user is for the isp to offer a range of well defined products, where the customer knows exactly what they are purchasing in terms of price speed and data allowance. The customer can then make their choice of what is appropriate to their needs.

Can it be that difficult?

Not so long ago UPC were constantly heavily criticised on boards.ie for offering so called unlimited products and deceiving people - they have become more honest and stopped that nonsense. The sooner the better for all concerned that Eircom does the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks Arawn,

Change Wireless Password - from Wep to Wpa - www.eircom.net/tutorials

Regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Wpa 2 is whats on it not WEP, there's no way it can be that high already with just me and the other lad

make sure you also change the admin password on the router so its not the default password which everyone knows so that any unwanted users cant change settings

Advertisement