Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom are duping customers - beware!

Options
  • 21-02-2012 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Please beware when charmed by Eircom sales representatives regarding their 'Next Generation' 'Broadband' 8Mb package. This service is not what the sales representatives are promising you. You are being duped.

We switched back to Eircom on the guarantee of a uncongested broadband service that appeared value for money for family usage. Of course the service stated contractually is up to 8Mb so that can mean supplying the customer with any old service with speeds consistently below 3Mb. The contention ratio is also not a consideration.

The ultimate con by Eircom with this package is the cap of 10Gb for combined upload and downloads. This is where they can literally put the boot into you by charging you €1.65 per 1Gb unit above this cap. We do not download movies or music yet we are consistently billed for excess usage on this package with the latest billing claiming we have 9Gb of 'broadband' excess usage.

This service was miss-sold to us and we are taking this up the matter with ComReg and with the National Consumer Agency.
    So please beware if you are considering changing or applying for a broadband service for your home, give these Eircom gangsters a wide berth as you will wind up paying much more than intended for a pathetic internet service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 nodnod

Hi I agree with you , i do not believe I joined 8meg ngb and i was upgraded from 3 meg unlimited and yet they put me on ngb last year.

Also i am only get speed of 1.5mb now for 2 months and eircom staff are saying Electromagnetic interference and cannot be fixed by eircom engineers quote below by the Eircom Comreg Manager
    he said eircom will release you from any contract obligations ( he is very generous) and i can move to another provider

So much for being a loyal customer of 17 years.

My Letter to Comreg Escalation Manager

I am replying to you letter dated 14th February, you responded by saying to me there is external electromagnetic interference a factor which remains outside eircom control and your engineers cannot fix it. I always had for years at least 3mb download speed and now in 2012 i am get a speed of 1.5mb download on an 8mb NGB.

This seem to be a very poor response as there must be loads of option available, ie the cable that you are bring in to my house could be better shielded from eletromagnetic interference. This seems to be a simple approach to fix the problem not brain science. It feels eircom cannot even try to come up with this I am very disapointed with your comment.

But when you said to me" that Eircom will release me from any broadband obligations should you wish to cease your eircom service OR MOVE TO ANOTHER PROVIDER" ( this a complete joke as i am well outside of any contract with Eircom)
    This seems that you do NOT want business and giving the Eircom Marketing and Sales team a much harder job to get customers. I demand you send your letter and this email to Director of Marketing and Sales in Eircom. You are showing a complete cop out and are not willing to fix an issue for a customer of 17 years.

The other question you did not respond in writing was the signature of an ex eircom director still being used on emails.
    I had to write to Comreg and I wait your response to see if this has been fixed ?.

I see that if I send another email to head of Customer Car department i will still get this mans Thomas Ryans signature. ( This man does not work for Eircom since summer 2011)

I see you have not compensated or contacted me about refunding all calls to eircom and broadband since start of january 2012.

I am very disappointed by the level of service and I willl expect a reply from the Director of Marketing and Sales in Eircom and customer support.

It seems as a customer I have had 2 months of dreadful broadband service from Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

nodnod wrote: »
    Hi I agree with you , i do not believe I joined 8meg ngb and i was upgraded from 3 meg unlimited and yet they put me on ngb last year.

Also i am only get speed of 1.5mb now for 2 months and eircom staff are saying Electromagnetic interference and cannot be fixed by eircom engineers quote below by the Eircom Comreg Manager
    he said eircom will release you from any contract obligations ( he is very generous) and i can move to another provider

So much for being a loyal customer of 17 years.

My Letter to Comreg Escalation Manager

I am replying to you letter dated 14th February, you responded by saying to me there is external electromagnetic interference a factor which remains outside eircom control and your engineers cannot fix it. I always had for years at least 3mb download speed and now in 2012 i am get a speed of 1.5mb download on an 8mb NGB.

This seem to be a very poor response as there must be loads of option available, ie the cable that you are bring in to my house could be better shielded from eletromagnetic interference. This seems to be a simple approach to fix the problem not brain science. It feels eircom cannot even try to come up with this I am very disapointed with your comment.

But when you said to me" that Eircom will release me from any broadband obligations should you wish to cease your eircom service OR MOVE TO ANOTHER PROVIDER" ( this a complete joke as i am well outside of any contract with Eircom)
    This seems that you do NOT want business and giving the Eircom Marketing and Sales team a much harder job to get customers. I demand you send your letter and this email to Director of Marketing and Sales in Eircom. You are showing a complete cop out and are not willing to fix an issue for a customer of 17 years.

The other question you did not respond in writing was the signature of an ex eircom director still being used on emails.
    I had to write to Comreg and I wait your response to see if this has been fixed ?.

I see that if I send another email to head of Customer Car department i will still get this mans Thomas Ryans signature. ( This man does not work for Eircom since summer 2011)

I see you have not compensated or contacted me about refunding all calls to eircom and broadband since start of january 2012.

I am very disappointed by the level of service and I willl expect a reply from the Director of Marketing and Sales in Eircom and customer support.

It seems as a customer I have had 2 months of dreadful broadband service from Eircom

Hi nodnod,

Thanks for your post.

The following may help your query on your upgrade from standard broadband to *NGB.

*NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times.
    NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases).

ADSL is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for. Please see the following website for more detailed information:

www.ngb.ie

It is possible that your broadband connection is affected by internal or external interference on your phone line. If you want to PM your home phone number I can take a look at your previous case history with Broadband Support and advise you further.

If you need to call Broadband Support directly :

*Technical Support: 1890260260 -8:am-10pm (7 days)

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Please beware when charmed by Eircom sales representatives regarding their 'Next Generation' 'Broadband' 8Mb package. This service is not what the sales representatives are promising you. You are being duped.

We switched back to Eircom on the guarantee of a uncongested broadband service that appeared value for money for family usage. Of course the service stated contractually is up to 8Mb so that can mean supplying the customer with any old service with speeds consistently below 3Mb. The contention ratio is also not a consideration.

The ultimate con by Eircom with this package is the cap of 10Gb for combined upload and downloads. This is where they can literally put the boot into you by charging you €1.65 per 1Gb unit above this cap. We do not download movies or music yet we are consistently billed for excess usage on this package with the latest billing claiming we have 9Gb of 'broadband' excess usage.

This service was miss-sold to us and we are taking this up the matter with ComReg and with the National Consumer Agency.
    So please beware if you are considering changing or applying for a broadband service for your home, give these Eircom gangsters a wide berth as you will wind up paying much more than intended for a pathetic internet service.

Hi Pillar_Citizen
    While it is true that eircom Next Generation Broadband BASIC has a cap of 10GB usage allowance this is just one plan and it is also possible to avail of other plans which offer an unlimited usage allowance.

Online download usage is becoming more and more vital and while you may not download movies streaming, gaming and ordinary web use will use up your download allowance.

I understand your frustration at not getting closer to 8MB however this is not possible for all users as distance from exchange in particular will impact speeds but NGB does offer an uncongested broadband service wghere speeds should be constant.

If you could PM me your telephone number I will have your line tested and see if there is any possibility of increasing speed or if anything may be affecting your speeds.
    Tony

Hi Ant, Eircom

Your statement
    "*NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times.
    NGB is also a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases)."

This to me seems to be totally untrue as i have been getting continuously diferent speeds from .2mb .6mb, upto 2.6 download

before alll my problem i was getting at least a min of 3mb

this morning i had 2.6 mb now TONIGHT i have 1.89mb so this disproves your statement above
    here are my results from Eircom speedtest
    Test date22 February 2012 22:06:05Download Speed1.89 Mb/sThis is equal to236.75 KB/s1894 kbpsUpload Speed0.21 Mb/sThis is equal to25.88 KB/s207 kbpsLatency89 ms

I have been continuosly getting fluctuating signal for 2 months.
    My view is that Eircom ducts being used are being shared by UPC
    they are supposedly using fibre optic but my neighbour Electronic engineer who uses UPC had a problem lost 20 mb signal yesterday, UPC open manhole to fix upc cable and it is not fibre but a copper wire (verified by my neighbour) So my belief this is where there is an eletromagnetic problem i believe is the cause. Eircom are probably renting the ducts to upc and making money from this but cannot fix my problem.

Also my neighbour on upc got his issue fixed straight away from UPC
    I am 2 months on and still have a poor service .
    Just to give you more evidence another neighbour on same road got 100mb download from upc the same day i got problems so i wonder if there is a coincidence. I supply this info as there are numerous issues with Eircom signal strength on this boards site and I believe this may help others.

I have had at least 18 eircom engineers out to fix my problem and i had 5 today so I am only trying to give you some practical advice about fixing the issue and wasting manpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You can pay €5 extra a month and your limit goes from 10GB to 250GB. Can't understand how you can't see this. It's not rocket science. Why on earth anyone would go for a package with a 10GB limit is beyond me. Take some responsibility yourself and research the packages available.
    Hi Ant, Eircom

Your statement
    "*NGB, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times.

This to me seems to be totally untrue as i have been getting continuously diferent speeds from .2mb .6mb, upto 2.6 download

this morning i had 2.6 mb now TONIGHT i have 1.89mb so this disproves your statement above
    Test date22 February 2012 22:06:05Download Speed1.89 Mb/sThis is equal to236.75 KB/s1894 kbpsUpload Speed0.21 Mb/sThis is equal to25.88 KB/s207 kbpsLatency89 ms

they are supposedly using fibre optic but my neighbour Electronic engineer who uses UPC had a problem lost 20 mb signal yesterday, UPC open manhole to fix upc cable and it is not fibre but a copper wire (verified by my neighbour) So my belief this is where there is an eletromagnetic problem i believe is the cause. Eircom are probably renting the ducts to upc and making money from this but cannot fix my problem.

Just to give you more evidence another neighbour on same road got 100mb download from upc the same day i got problems so i wonder if there is a coincidence. I supply this info as there are numerous issues with Eircom signal strength on this boards site and I believe this may help others.

I have had at least 18 eircom engineers out to fix my problem and i had 5 today so I am only trying to give you some practical advice about fixing the issue and wasting manpower.

Sigh. UPC have their own cable network that has nothing to do with Eircom. They are a completely different broadband product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pillar_Citizen

gpf101 wrote: »
    You can pay €5 extra a month and your limit goes from 10GB to 250GB. Can't understand how you can't see this. It's not rocket science. Why on earth anyone would go for a package with a 10GB limit is beyond me. Take some responsibility yourself and research the packages available.

Yes I am aware as an eircom customer you can alter your plan, the contention with the sales experience is this cap is not brought to your attention unless you are tech savy and realise how much data you will use. Believe it or not some people would not have this knowledge and are being duped into contracting an underperforming internet package that will cost them more than they intend to spend.

You may fancy yourself as some sort of condescending tech head with your 'it's not rocket science' but I'm just warning people who may not be aware of this issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

My heart goes out to anyone stuck with Eircon broadband with their lazyness of not being able to insert simple encryption onto their laptops which were stolen with peoples personal details and credit card details, and also their shoddy broadband speeds that go up and down like a kite. also Eircon is being sold again and I hope the new purchasers can mend this broken business as customers are suffering with little choice and no other isp's to change to especially out from the cities.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi Pillar_Citizen
    While it is true that eircom Next Generation Broadband BASIC has a cap of 10GB usage allowance this is just one plan and it is also possible to avail of other plans which offer an unlimited usage allowance.

Online download usage is becoming more and more vital and while you may not download movies streaming, gaming and ordinary web use will use up your download allowance.

I understand your frustration at not getting closer to 8MB however this is not possible for all users as distance from exchange in particular will impact speeds but NGB does offer an uncongested broadband service wghere speeds should be constant.

If you could PM me your telephone number I will have your line tested and see if there is any possibility of increasing speed or if anything may be affecting your speeds.
    Tony

Could you tell us which plans offer unlimited usage allowance?

and it is also possible to avail of other plans which offer an unlimited usage allowance.

It is again quite shocking to see you as a representative for Eircom explain and offer an unlimited usage allowance without telling your customers of the fair use policy which in essence nullifies Eircoms unlimited usage allowance. as you quite well know, there is no such thing as unlimited usage allowance because the fair use policy counter-acts this in your holding policy of which like many other isp's is false advertising. Eircom were told before to make this so-called unlimited usage policy easier for customers to see instead of the hidden wording it is now, why haven't you complied to this order ?.

zenno wrote: »
    It is again quite shocking to see you as a representative for Eircom explain and offer an unlimited usage allowance without telling your customers of the fair use policy which in essence nullifies Eircoms unlimited usage allowance. as you quite well know, there is no such thing as unlimited usage allowance because the fair use policy counter-acts this in your holding policy of which like many other isp's is false advertising.

A so called fair usage policy is a cap plain and simple. A so called unlimited allowance with a cap is intended to deceive.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unlimited

Unlimited

adjective
    not limited;  unrestricted; unconfined: unlimited trade.
    boundless; infinite; vast: the unlimited skies.
    without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Hi Ant, Eircom

Your statement

Sigh. UPC have their own cable network that has nothing to do with Eircom. They are a completely different broadband product.
    How long have you worked for eircon? :)

that is correct. I still can't understand why they insist on calling it unlimited when they have been told many times to clarify this clearly to their customers. it should be clear and readable and also explained to the customer.

Sigh. UPC have their own cable network that has nothing to do with Eircom.

They are a completely different broadband product.How long have you worked for eircon

I do not work for Eircom , UPC AND eircom USE same duct ie pipes you put cables into, I believed that UPC used fibre optic in estates but my neighbour proved it to me that this is not so ( maybe use fibre optic on mainline but definitely not being used in my estate.
    All i am saying is that two cables runnning beside each other could cause magnetic interference as the shielding may not be very good in eithers cable so could have an effect on each other.

But to think i had perfect internet up to two months ago and now a complete disaster , Everybody if you are with Eircom keep an eye on line speed by using eircom speedtest and keep a copy of results so you use it as proof. You can never know when your speed will drop.

I challenge eircom to check my hypothesis but they will never admit that this could be the fault as they are renting duct to UPC so making money from them and do not care of the individual customers. IT IS TIME FOR everybody who can to change provider to UPC IF IT IS AN option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

They are a completely different broadband product.How long have you worked for eircon

I do not work for Eircom , UPC AND eircom USE same duct ie pipes you put cables into, I believed that UPC used fibre optic in estates but my neighbour proved it to me that this is not so ( maybe use fibre optic on mainline but definitely not being used in my estate.
    All i am saying is that two cables runnning beside each other could cause magnetic interference as the shielding may not be very good in eithers cable so could have an effect on each other.

But to think i had perfect internet up to two months ago and now a complete disaster , Everybody if you are with Eircom keep an eye on line speed by using eircom speedtest and keep a copy of results so you use it as proof. You can never know when your speed will drop.

I challenge eircom to check my hypothesis but they will never admit that this could be the fault as they are renting duct to UPC so making money from them and do not care of the individual customers. IT IS TIME FOR everybody who can to change provider to UPC IF IT IS AN option
    I wasn't talking to you, I quoted the other chap.

Hi nodnod,

Thanks for your posts on the eircom Forum. I fully understand that you have your own opinion.

eircom, like other Internet providers, has a a standard process in place for repairing all faults found on the eircom network.

I appreciate you may have completed broadband checks and that you're not just making general or biased comments. However, without being aware of what primary checks you have done, I still need to outline the process that eircom have put in place for resolving all eircom broadband sync or connection issues. The alternative to an outlined process is that it would be extremely difficult to support all our customers on these issues.

Therefore, I would ask you to try the following quick broadband checks, where possible :

Temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Avoid using a private phone lead (rj11), and just use the standard phone lead that came with your eircom modem.

Test your connection over Ethernet cable only, if possible. You should make sure that you are testing your speed on just one computer; All other computer devices, games consoles, SmartPhones, etc, should be shut down or turned off when testing your Broadband speed.

If possible try to exit out of all running applications on your computer. Sometimes these programmes are difficult to disable or turn off and keep running in the background on your computer. Exit your Anti-virus application and disable your firewall(s) on your computer. You might also check to see if you're running additional sessions on your computer device. If you don't know how to to this, just call into Technical Support and they will advise you how to test for listening and established Tcp/ip and Udp on your computer.

Our broadband checklist can be found on the eircom Community Forum:

Broadband Checklist

Once you have completed this and if you are still experiencing slow or intermittent connection speeds you will need to report this directly to Technical Support. They will need to do some additional broadband checks when you are on the phone and will need to make you aware of any further escalation process. For e.g: If a specifi engineering crew is required. Tech Support will also be able to refer and advise the engineer - For e.g : If further packet loss/ or sniffing equipment may be required to locate a fault or if a fuller investigation is required on the eircom network /or if this maybe is related to a non-eircom issue.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Hi nodnod,

Thanks for your posts on the eircom Forum. I fully understand that you have your own opinion.

eircom, like other Internet providers, has a though a standard process for repairing any faults found on their network.

I appreciate you may have completed broadband checks and that you're not just making general or biased comments. However, without being aware of what primary checks you have done, I still need to outline the process that eircom have put in place for resolving all eircom broadband sync or connection issues. The alternative to an outlined process is that it would be extremely difficult to support all our customers on these issues.

Therefore, I would ask you to try the following quick broadband checks, where possible :

Temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Avoid using a private phone lead (rj11), and just use the standard phone lead that came with your eircom modem.

Test your connection over Ethernet cable only, if possible. You should make sure that you are testing your speed on just one computer; All other computer devices, games consoles, SmartPhones, etc, should be shut down or turned off when testing your Broadband speed.

If possible try to exit out of all running applications on your computer. Sometimes these programmes are difficult to disable or turn off and keep running in the background on your computer. Exit your Anti-virus application and disable your firewall(s) on your computer. You might also check to see if you're running additional sessions on your computer device. If you don't know how to to this, just call into Technical Support and they will advise you how to test for listening and established Tcp/ip and Udp on your computer.

Our broadband checklist can be found on the eircom Community Forum:

Broadband Checklist

Once you have completed this and if you are still experiencing slow or intermittent connection speeds you will need to report this directly to Technical Support. They will need to do some additional broadband checks when you are on the phone and will need to make you aware of any further escalation process. For e.g: If a specifi engineering crew is required. Tech Support will also be able to refer and advise the engineer - For e.g : If further packet loss/ or sniffing equipment may be required to locate a fault or if a fuller investigation is required on the eircom network /or if this maybe is related to a non-eircom issue.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, let me know your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Sorry Ant for letting you type all the details above as all these issues and ideas have bee checked by the 19 engineers that have visited me
    reference is 4455769 and the older ref of
    5480263 ( since jan 8th 2012 Eircom decide to shut down this email and set up a new one) As you will see from my works history it is going on and on,

I know it is a line problem I have poor phone and broadband signal due to electorMagnetic interference. just fix the issue is my concern not drag it on . Do a surrvey all houses in my estate and see what there signal should be and what it is. Very simple checks can be done
    if line issue put a new line in with protected cable if junction problem fix the junction . I am only 1.2km from the exchange

If you see my post loads of managers are supposed to keep me upto date but still I am left waiting for updates.

All i get is problem is still there but working on it.............................

Should a customer Have to wait 2 MOOOOOONTHSS for my prevous level of service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

You will be told 1 thing then get another with them there should be a law against this because they are ripping people off big time .

dub45 wrote: »
    Could you tell us which plans offer unlimited usage allowance?

Just to add to what Tony has said already: "While it is true that eircom Next Generation Broadband BASIC has a cap of 10GB usage allowance this is just one plan and it is also possible to avail of other plans which offer an unlimited usage allowance.

Online download usage is becoming more and more vital and while you may not download movies streaming, gaming and ordinary web use will use up your download allowance."

Fair usage: If you consider that a GigaByte is 1024 Mb. It roughly equates to downloading:

* Downloading 170 songs
    * Downloading one movie
    * Streaming 70 minutes of YouTube HD clips

The Fair Usage therefore allows for atleast the above times 250. In relative terms this is a huge usage. Even an avid broadband user would find it difficult to watch as many as 6 movies in one full day.

I do appreciate that the term 'unlimited' may cause confusion and we have addressed this to the appropriate channel. I hope it is clear though that most residential customers, using our broadband packages with Unlimited usage, will have nothing to worry about.

Given that fair usage is at least 250Gb, eircom customers will not have any problems about using the Internet to download files : streaming video /music sites; such as MusicHub, Youtube, or viewing Premier Leagure matches on eircom SportsHub.

To date no customer has been charged or billed by eircom for exeeding this Fair Usage limit.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

To date no customer has been charged or billed by eircom for exeeding this limit.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Just to clarify this.

There are two up to 8mbit Residential so called 'ngb' Packages.

1. One has a limit of 10Gb
    2. One has a limit of 250Gb

Are you Ant stating that nobody has been charged for "exceeding this limit" in the case of 1. or 2. or both???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Just to clarify this.

There are two up to 8mbit Residential so called 'ngb' Packages.

1. One has a limit of 10Gb
    2. One has a limit of 250Gb

Are you Ant stating that nobody has been charged for "exceeding this limit" in the case of 1. or 2. or both???

Hi Sponge Bob
    good point, that should have read in the case of 2. limit of 250Gb.
    Tony

• Advertisement

I don't. I couldn't be further from working for Eircom to be honest.

I actually think Eircom are quite a poor, disorganised organisation. They messed up my order a few months ago and it really annoyed me. But it gets annoying when people blame Eircom for the physical limits of ADSL, and don't enquire into something as basic as a useage cap when ordering broadband.

Now that the order is sorted I'm very happy with the ADSL service they provide. I get this same result 24/7 every day since I've had broadband installed. The useage limit is 250GB and they don't charge for going over it so it's effectively unlimited.

1791890801.png

ADSL is an imperfect technology that uses in many cases, old, twisted pairs of copper wire and it's very distance dependent. It's not like there's an evil genius sitting in Eircom HQ deliberately slowing your connection down...

Just to add to what Tony has said already: "While it is true that eircom Next Generation Broadband BASIC has a cap of 10GB usage allowance this is just one plan and it is also possible to avail of other plans which offer an unlimited usage allowance.

Online download usage is becoming more and more vital and while you may not download movies streaming, gaming and ordinary web use will use up your download allowance."

Fair usage: If you consider that a GigaByte is 1024 Mb. It roughly equates to downloading:

* Downloading 170 songs
    * Downloading one movie
    * Streaming 70 minutes of YouTube HD clips

The Fair Usage therefore allows for atleast the above times 250. In relative terms this is a huge usage. Even an avid broadband user would find it difficult to watch as many as 6 movies in one full day.

I do appreciate that the term 'unlimited' may cause confusion and we have addressed this to the appropriate channel. I hope it is clear though that most residential customers, using our broadband packages with Unlimited usage, will have nothing to worry about.

Given that fair usage is at least 250Gb, eircom customers will not have any problems about using the Internet to download files : streaming video /music sites; such as MusicHub, Youtube, or viewing Premier Leagure matches on eircom SportsHub.

To date no customer has been charged or billed by eircom for exeeding this Fair Usage limit.

Kind regards,
    Ant

The term 'unlimited' only causes confusion because you are using it to deceive people - deliberately. The term has a specific meaning which you are distorting.

If your advertising was honest then none of your customers would have anything to worry about.

Are you suggesting that it is ok to deceive just some customers?

It is irrelevant that people have not been charged so far unless you are prepared to guarantee that this will continue to be the case?

A product with a fair usage limit is a product with a cap plain and simple.

And incidentally UPC offer products with twice your supposed 'unlimited' limited product and have finally become honest enough to acknowledge that there is a limit.

I don't. I couldn't be further from working for Eircom to be honest.

I actually think Eircom are quite a poor, disorganised organisation. They messed up my order a few months ago and it really annoyed me. But it gets annoying when people blame Eircom for the physical limits of ADSL, and don't enquire into something as basic as a useage cap when ordering broadband.

Now that the order is sorted I'm very happy with the ADSL service they provide. I get this same result 24/7 every day since I've had broadband installed. The useage limit is 250GB and they don't charge for going over it so it's effectively unlimited.

1791890801.png

ADSL is an imperfect technology that uses in many cases, old, twisted pairs of copper wire and it's very distance dependent. It's not like there's an evil genius sitting in Eircom HQ deliberately slowing your connection down...

While I agree with you totally on your point about adsl the fact is that Eircom and other dsl companies should be far more honest with their customers about the potential of their lines. It is blatantly obvious that customers are allowed sign up for products that their lines cannot handle and the behaviour of the eircom door to door sales people as regularly reported on boards is simply unethical. And there is some marketing genius responsible for their behaviour presumably?

I don't have experience of Eircom salesmen but I agree with you. There should be more honesty.

Thanks for your comments on this thread. As my previous post, I understand there may be confusion about terms like unlimited.

My own opinion is: As broadband and fibre products evolve, there will be changes and different packages will be on offer. Personally, my overall broadband usage at home would be less than 20Mb per month. I don't have to worry about streaming radio broadcasts, or watching football matches online. I have never gone over 20Gb.
    I realise there are some people that like to to copy movies or music and stream over the Internet. Though it is unlikely that many customers would ever use even close to 250Gb. That's a massive amount of Burning CDs ;). Any more usage than this might even be considered as small business, rather than residential broadband.

As said, there has been no charge ever applied for going over the fair usage of 250Gb. For anyone on the basic NGB package with a limit of 10Gb, it might be worthwhile upgrading to the unlimited option on NGB - Advanced. If you want to upgrade now, you can do this online on Products website:

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/

As stated previously, we have already addressed this issue and brought it to the attention of the appropriate channel. If you need direct help with upgrading your broadband package, please contact Broadband Sales :

Broadband Sales - 1800503303 freefone

Regards,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pillar_Citizen

Why the 10Gb cap for the basic slowband package?
    Do most eircom slowband service users have to upgrade to the 'limited unlimited' package as they were paying excess charges for the slowband basic package?
    Why is this service called 'next generation broadband' when it clearly an underperforming previous generation product in comparison with broadband offered by other ISPs?
    Do eircom sales representatives get training in deliberately misleading people?

Thanks for your comments on this thread. As my previous post, I understand there may be confusion about terms like unlimited.

Could you tell us exactly what you mean by this statement? Are you suggesting in some way that we do not know the meaning of the word 'unlimited'?
    My own opinion is: As broadband and fibre products evolve, there will be changes and different packages will be on offer. Personally, my overall broadband usage at home would be less than 20Mb per month. I don't have to worry about streaming radio broadcasts, or watching football matches online. I have never gone over 20Gb.
    I realise there are some people that like to to copy movies or music and stream over the Internet. Though it is unlikely that many customers would ever use even close to 250Gb. That's a massive amount of Burning CDs ;). Any more usage than this might even be considered as small business, rather than residential broadband.

With all due respects what relevance has your use of the internet got to do with any other internet user or why might they be remotely interested?
    As said, there has been no charge ever applied for going over the fair usage of 250Gb. For anyone on the basic NGB package with a limit of 10Gb, it might be worthwhile upgrading to the unlimited option on NGB - Advanced. If you want to upgrade now, you can do this online on Products website:

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/

And this point is only of relevance if Eircom give a commitment not to to charge anyone in the future? Otherwise you continue to deceive people. And once again you continue to repeat a lie. There is no unlimited option - there is a product with a cap of 250gb.
    As stated previously, we have already addressed this issue and brought it to the attention of the appropriate channel. If you need direct help with upgrading your broadband package, please contact Broadband Sales :

Broadband Sales - 1800503303 freefone

Regards,
    Ant

You may have brought this "issue" of deceiving customers and prospective customers to the attention of the appropriate channel but that is not dealing with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Why the 10Gb cap for the basic slowband package?
    Do most eircom slowband service users have to upgrade to the 'limited unlimited' package as they were paying excess charges for the slowband basic package?
    Why is this service called 'next generation broadband' when it clearly an underperforming previous generation product in comparison with broadband offered by other ISPs?
    Do eircom sales representatives get training in deliberately misleading people?

Personally I am very glad of the 10GB option. I dont play online games, I don't watch films or listen to music online so why should I have to pay extra for people who do? I also find the descriptions that eircom give of their products perfectably understandable. If you read them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sproggy13

Eircom sent me a letter offering me free upgrade with upto 15MB and advised that I came no where near the usage of 50GB a month. But on checking my usage some months I was below 50GB but on more occasions I was well above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭kirving

95-99% of people really won't ever go over 250Gb/month and those that do, a large percentage would be downloading movies. You can give a heap of other reasons, but everyone knows it's movies. I think it's fair to call 250Gb "Unlimited", especially since noone has been charged yet. eircom have to give themselves an option in the contract to cut off/charge someone who is taking the absolute piss or supplying all their neighbours with cheap broadband.

Just to contrast, eircom were very honest with me when they offered to increase my broadband speed - saying that I would get no more benefit from an "8Mb" connection over a 4mb connection. Not an eircom custom anymore btw.

Advertisement