Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ! First ever Over usage Charge!

Options
  • 14-10-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey,

I got an eircom bill today! and i was shocked to see I was charged for going over my internet usage limit. First time ever!

But heres the thing! , I was on a 3mb line with 30GB allowance , and i found out that everyone got upgraded to 8mb line with 10GB allowance during the summer!!!! and my line can only get 3mb anyway..?????

It seems unfair im getting charged for going over my allowance when i got "upgraded"...seems like a downgrade to me.

I owe 40euro extra with them, do I have any rights?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It was in the fine print of the flyer a few months back. We used 110GB in August, dreading the next bill, the last one they only had a €6 surcharge listed though we were well over.

We went from 3 to 4.5(its "Up to" 8MB, their ****ty lines rarely get that high). The limit is also not just down, its combined up and down. Its a cheap shot by eircom, like selling a BMW then saying the warranty is void if you go over 70KPH.

UPC is the first port of call, they're cheaper anyways I think with rolling usage allowances, but we arent covered and rumor has it wont be any time soon. Wimax is shoddy at best. That leaves the likes of Vodafone which I'm checking out ATM.

And to think I used to praise Eircom.......

PS: Wrong forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭daveo90

Don't recall getting any flyer at all.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow and just explain Im not paying the 40euro, and stick me back on my 3mb line with 30GB or i'll go else where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

daveo90 wrote: »
    Don't recall getting any flyer at all.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow and just explain Im not paying the 40euro, and stick me back on my 3mb line with 30GB or i'll go else where

I honestly think thats what they want.or up to their 250gb ngb package(which is what I had to do as IM not the bill payer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

tell them someone is stealing ur bb and to gfts :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

digme wrote: »
    tell them someone is stealing ur bb and to gfts :)

Even if someone is, you're still liable for the charges and the content of that download. So, they may even pay more attention to what you're doing online. :D

Unfortunately, you need to read the fine print, but sounds like you're in a pickle. :cool:

• Advertisement

The issue is my package was changed without me even knowing?? surely they cant do that can they?

I never even got a "fine print" to read?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mobby

plus i think they will also charge you a downgrade admin fee of €25. :(

Good 'Ol Eircom.

But can it be called a downgrade if the package i was "upgraded" to them be in fact a a downgrade, my line is terrible and can only get 3mb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The issue is my package was changed without me even knowing?? surely they cant do that can they?

I never even got a "fine print" to read?

It was always part of their terms and conditions that they could charge, so that never really changed.

Voting with your feet is your best bet here imo, there are other providers with higher caps.

• Advertisement

I understand they could charge , but the real issue is the change of package without clear instructions of the change or notice. My download allowance was decreased from 30GB on my 3mb package to 10BG on my 8MB one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

bit sly of them alright.

Out of curiosity, how much did you go over. Did they charge by what they say, a cent a meg or what ever it is?

They said Aug i went over 12GB @ 1.65euro per GB, same in September.

Sure im already over 10GB and it's the 15th Oct! lol !

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

I switched to Magnets 24Mb unlimited package 6 months ago,

Here's my stats since then:

DU Meter Monthly Traffic Volume Report

Month Incoming Outgoing Total

May 2010 324.7 GB 131.3 GB 456.0 GB
    June 2010 242.3 GB 81.0 GB 323.4 GB
    July 2010 248.2 GB 82.6 GB 330.8 GB
    August 2010 143.2 GB 100.9 GB 244.1 GB
    September 2010 241.0 GB 112.5 GB 353.5 GB

Created on computer TVA-1 at 15/10/2010 15:24:34, report time span: 01/01/2010 - 31/12/2010

€10 per month cheaper than eircom too!

Webmonkey wrote: »
    bit sly of them alright.

Out of curiosity, how much did you go over. Did they charge by what they say, a cent a meg or what ever it is?
    They said Aug i went over 12GB @ 1.65euro per GB, same in September.

Sure im already over 10GB and it's the 15th Oct! lol !

With tax its €2 per GB :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Paulw wrote: »
    Even if someone is, you're still liable for the charges and the content of that download. So, they may even pay more attention to what you're doing online. :D

Unfortunately, you need to read the fine print, but sounds like you're in a pickle. :cool:
    They can stick the fine print up their arse,not your fault their router is open to 5 year olds. :mad: If you don't have a new router demand one off them ;)

Checked reports.

15th of 30 Days
    Current Limit: 30GB (should be 10???)
    Total Combined Usage: 64GB

Estimated usage at day 30: 128GB
    Estimated Charge: €256

Not a chance we're paying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Checked reports.

15th of 30 Days
    Current Limit: 30GB (should be 10???)
    Total Combined Usage: 64GB

Estimated usage at day 30: 128GB
    Estimated Charge: €256

Not a chance we're paying that.

I think it maxes out at 10GB that they will charge you for. So €20 or whatever is the max over-use charge. (unless im mistaken?)
    In which case you're going to be charged €20 anyway and for the rest of the month you might as well max the thing 24/7.

Still a total rip-off.

That would make sense of last months bill, I hope you're right.

Still though, expand UPC, EXPAND!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eircom have reserved the right for charging for going over the cap for years, the fact they didn't charge but you continued to go past the cap isn't there fault :)

You assumed you'd never be charged :)

...Oh and this is old news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Cabaal wrote: »
    eircom have reserved the right for charging for going over the cap for years, the fact they didn't charge but you continued to go past the cap isn't there fault :)

As far as I am aware if they change the supplied service they should notify the user and give them the option to refuse it ......... accept or walk in this case.

If that was not done then Eircom have not fulfilled their duty IMO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As far as I am aware if they change the supplied service they should notify the user and give them the option to refuse it ......... accept or walk in this case.

What did they change?

Long long before the NGB Eircom have always stated they'll charge for going over the cap in their T&C's. Users simply went over it anyway thinking it was ok...despite agreeing to the T&C's.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What did they change?

Long long before the NGB Eircom have always stated they'll charge for going over the cap in their T&C's. Users simply went over it anyway thinking it was ok...despite agreeing to the T&C's.

Eircom have changed their products though and users should have been notified of any such change. There were posts on here stating that Eircom customers had been written to to this effect.

Where there is a major change in policy on the part of an isp such as beginning to charge for exceeding the cap after many years of not doing so then I believe that customers should have been made aware in advance of any such change.

In the longer term it only damages the company not to do so.

With UPC having such a devastating effect on their customer base Eircom should not be giving their customers an extra incentive to leave them:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kingtorres9

Check this out. Eircom NGB Download Rules.
    I paid €20 extra last month and downlowded 220gb.

1. Is there a limit to how much I can be charged for excess usage?
    The maximum you will be charged for your NGB (including excess usage & Broadband rental) is €49.99.

You will be charged €2 inc VAT per GB used above your allowance to a total of €49.99 for your Broadband package (including your Broadband rental).

If you are on the 'NGB Basic' package at €24.99, the maximum you will pay for excess usage is €24.00.

If you are on the 'NGB Regular' package at €29.99, the maximum you will pay for excess usage is €20.00.

If you are in a bundle, usage charging caps will be applied as follows:
    NGB Basic & talktime chatter:
    Normal bundle price is €46.79.   Max price including excess usage is €70.79
    NGB Basic & talktime talker:
    Normal bundle price is €51.78.   Max price including excess usage is €75.78
    NGB Regular & talktime chatter:
    Normal bundle price is €51.78.   Max price including excess usage is €71.78
    NGB Regular & talktime talker:
    Normal bundle price is €56.75.   Max price including excess usage is €76.75

It is recommended that you download the
    Broadband Usage Meter to help you manage your usage. The usage meter will notify you when you are approaching your usage allowance threshold.
    2. If I am an existing eircom broadband customer when will my line / broadband be upgraded to NGB?
    eircom is rolling out its Next Generation Broadband program on a phased basis. Once an exchange is Next Generation Broadband enabled, customers presently on the 1Mb, 3Mb and 7Mb products will be migrated over to the Next Generation Broadband products.

Customers will not be required to do anything or change their router / modem to avail of the new service.

For the latest information on the Next Generation Broadband service and roll out timelines please visit
    http://www.eircom.net/ngb for further information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

How about you read the thread, the OP's issue is that his terms were changed ie his cap went from 30gb to 10gb.

For all you know he stuck to his 'limits' at 30gb, as he wasn't informed it had gone down until afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ck_303

What did they change?

As a matter of contract law, waiver on a contractual provision can arise as a result on conduct. Eircom could easily be found to have waived their right to charge for going over the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What did they change?

They not only changed the possible speed of connection but they changed the download allowance, as I understand it.

I am presently on 3MB/s and 30GB allowance.

IMO, I must be notified and given an opportunity to refuse to be downgraded to 10GB allowance should they ever decide to enable my area for NGB.

By your post they would be entitled to charge me for going over the 10GBs up to 30GBs without notifying me of this change in allowance.

I must be notified and agree to this change, IMO.

EDIT:
    It may be that the download allowance has not changed ... and if that is the case then it puts a different light on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Almost 1/2 of lines can do more than 3Mbps.

It's down to
    • Distance
    • Number of DSL users in a multi-pair cable (Crosstalk)
    • Interference
    • Line Quality
    • ADSL or ADSL2+ exchange (Approx. 8Mbps/24Mbps max, 3Mbps/7Mbps average distance)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

watty wrote: »
    Almost 1/2 of lines can do more than 3Mbps.

It's down to
    • Distance
    • Number of DSL users in a multi-pair cable (Crosstalk)
    • Interference
    • Line Quality
    • ADSL or ADSL2+ exchange (Approx. 8Mbps/24Mbps max, 3Mbps/7Mbps average distance)

And don't forget the internal wiring.

Advertisement