Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dutch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭sjaakie

"Is there a somewhat seedy element and deviancy to them?"

Why would you think that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

Ballen in m'n buik ... gngngngnngnjoopklepzeikergngngng*pop*

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Dutch are class but the Germans win this one for me. Been over there a couple of times and they were nothing but lovely, this was West Germany so perhaps other parts are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I like Dutch South Africans.. Tough people who take no sh*t.

Boers don't like being called 'Dutch' either. It's like an insult to them.

Call a Boer a 'Dutchman' and expect to get a smack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I have no knowledge of The Dutch but I saw in the paper today that The Netherlands is the best country in the world in which to grow up.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ireland-is-the-10thbest-country-for-children-29186997.html

They must be doing something right - that is quite an accolade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

The dutch have the weirdest insults I've ever heard. A typical dutch insult would translate to something like "you are the retarded son of an cholera infected table leg"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

limitedIQ wrote: »
    "you are the retarded son of an cholera infected table leg"

Well worth registering for :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

In general, I have found the Dutch to be dead on. I worked in Utrecht for a few months in my first real job, and have fond memories of the people and the place.

One night, I was propping up the bar of a pub in Utrecht, and I asked the barman what time they closed at. His answer was "I vil closh ven you leaf... vil dat be ok?" which I thought was cool of him. Wouldn't get that here (as a stranger anyway).

Another time, I took a wrong turn in my hire car and ended up driving the wrong way up a one-way street. Cops coming down the other way towards me, I was thinking "F**K". Gave it the quivering lip bit, dumb tourist etc., and they hopped back in their car and got me to follow them - brought me right to my hotel, no problems. Well no problems except they were flaking it, and going through amber lights etc., with me wondering "should I? shouldn't I?". Great lads.

Have to say they're a friendly bunch imo. EVERYONE speaks perfect English, bar the oldest folk living out in the countryside. The cleaning ladies where I was working had absolutely perfect English, better than a lot of Irish people can speak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

They certainly have the darkest sense of humour of any nationality that I've met.So many things to admire about the Dutch. Don't know if it's been posted already or not, but....

Bismarck once quipped that the solution to the "Irish Problem" of the 19th century was to "transfer the entire populations of the Netherlands and Ireland. The Dutch will turn Ireland into a beautiful garden, while the Irish will neglect the dykes and sea-walls, the sea will rush in and the "Problem" will be solved"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

The whites I met in S.A. would refer to themselves as Dutchmen constantly and the blacks I was with would introduce them as Dutchmen.

Never saw anyone get offended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

its just a mannerism or maybe its the way they speak English.
    Like Americans with ice cubes in their mouths .

My sister married a Dutchman and she speaks English now with a Dutch twang but she has been living in Holland since the early 1980'S
    Also I have met quite a few younger Dutch guys(early 20s) who were quite arrogant as well but maybe thats young guys of all nationalities but its an impression I got
    They can have a very '' mij mij mij '' attitude and not just the younger Dutch but lots of the older ones to .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I've been to Holland quite a bit myself as I've an auntie and cousins living over there. Always found that everyone I met was very friendly, ready to have the crack, but had a weird streak in them.

Religion isn't huge at all and in a lot of schools it won't be even taught as a subject.

Yes, racism is in full flow! A lot of Turkish and Moroccans living there which the Dutch don't take kindly to.

Overall its a great place! Rotterdam being my favourite spot.Its not all about brazers and drugs, and once you visit you'll see for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Travelled around quite a bit, I've never net a dutch person I didn't like. Overall though id also say Germans are cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Socially great craic but work with Dutch people and and within 5 minutes you will find out exactly why Dutch participation in the Euro's or World Cup isn't complete without someone getting sent home Roy Keane style. Given the choice between doing something that would take a minute or arguing with you for twenty, they will choose the latter every time. There is nothing too trivial that they wouldn't make your life miserbale over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

crockholm wrote: »
    Bismarck once quipped that the solution to the "Irish Problem" of the 19th century was to "transfer the entire populations of the Netherlands and Ireland. The Dutch will turn Ireland into a beautiful garden, while the Irish will neglect the dykes and sea-walls, the sea will rush in and the "Problem" will be solved"
    No he didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Going off topic here, but the Flemish seem to be nicer, easier going people than the Dutch.

There's a bizarre Homophobia that's unique to the Dutch as well, once saw two blokes having a road rage incident over there both out of their cars screaming 'HOMO!' at each other

crockholm

I'm not sure who said it but I heard it like this

'' If you put the Dutch in Ireland they will make use of every inch of land , put the Irish in Holland and they will drown '' .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

dd972 wrote: »
    Going off topic here, but the Flemish seem to be nicer, easier going people than the Dutch.

There's a bizarre Homophobia that's unique to the Dutch as well, once saw two blokes having a road rage incident over there both out of their cars screaming 'HOMO!' at each other

In Dutch "Homo" means "I respectfully disapprove of your driving abilities".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I like the dutch people,When i was over there they all seemed nice and friendly...The flemish are also lovely..Good english and when they talk to you..Boy they can talk...they kept asking about the protestant and catholic divide in Ireland and i filled them in...They were genuinely interested,

[rant]I don't like the spanish tho, They are just loud and arrogant ..Others might be different but thats the way i feel.[/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Latchy wrote: »
    I'm not sure who said it but I heard it like this

'' If you put the Dutch in Ireland they will make use of every inch of land , put the Irish in Holland and they will drown '' .

Lets have another go at this one:

"Put the Dutch into Ireland and they would feed the world, put the Irish into Holland and they would drown."

• Advertisement

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Lets have another go at this one:

"Put the Dutch into Ireland and they would feed the world, put the Irish into Holland and they would drown."
    I dunno ...they may want to use all that land to grow tons more Tulips :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Seachmall wrote: »
    I was with my mates in Holland and we were stoned off our tits walking down the street, not really sure where we were going. A Dutch man stopped what he was doing, crossed the street and asked if we needed directions. We did and he promptly directed us where the main street was.

Another time we were out one of the nights heading to get food when a car pulled up, the guys in the car shouted something in Dutch which we didn't understand. I walked over to see what they wanted and they were selling cocaine. I told them I wasn't interested and if they knew of any good spots to get some grub. They recommended a place, told us how to get there and drove off.

I can, with confidence, say you would not find an elderly gentleman going for a Sunday stroll nor a cocaine dealer cruising around selling to tourists in Ireland as nice as you would in Holland.

I've been to over a dozen European countries, as well as 2 US cities and have never come across such helpful people.

Generalisations are fine when they're positive ;)
    But everyone seems really nice when you're stoned off your tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

PauloMN wrote: »
    One night, I was propping up the bar of a pub in Utrecht, and I asked the barman what time they closed at. His answer was "I vil closh ven you leaf... vil dat be ok?" which I thought was cool of him. Wouldn't get that here (as a stranger anyway).

Rough translation: "Please go away so I can go home"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Boer is Dutch Afrikaans for farmer.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Very tall, clog wearing, pot smoking, windmill watching, tulip munching people, who all speak wich a schlight lischp :))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The Dutch were instrumental in the beginings of New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Put the Irish into Holland & we'd all be stoned for the first three weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

If you want to get some insight into Dutch and the Dutch customs I can very much recommend this book .

Lots of generalisations here, some of them actually true.

I've always found the majority of Dutch people aren't actually very tolerant or openminded, just petrified to be seen (publicly) to be anything other than tolerant and openminded. There's an expression in Dutch which would translate roughly as : For the eyes of the Church going public (voor het oog van het kerkvolk), which more or less means just that, they want to be perceived a certain way, not necessarily be that way.

Like a previous poster pointed out, they may be tolerant when it comes to sexuality etc. but if you're just white heterosexual Joe Blogs but march to a different drum it will surely be picked up on and likely commented on. This is outside of the bigger cities now, in the cities nobody really cares I get the impression.

Having said all of that, there are definitely many good things about that small country, if you're going and have never been I'd very much recommend getting out of Amsterdam (a great city in it's own right, if you take the time and effort to see something other than sexshops and coffee shops) and going to see places like Maastricht, Den Bosch, Hoorn, Medemblik, Leiden and if you have kids the Efteling is very very much recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

To be honest you could make a thread about any nationality and people will have good and bad comments. It's pretty silly.

However, I for one vote in favour of the Dutch as lovable people.:)

Most Flemish I met were really great. Very interested in politics/world affairs.

Homophobia??
    -Being gay was legalized way back in 1811!:eek:.
    -In 1973 gays were allowed to serve openly in the army
    -In 1998 the Dutch parliament granted same-sex couples domestic partnership benefits
    -In 2001, the Dutch legalised gay marriage. The first country to do so.
    -As of October 2011, while 90% of ethnic Dutch people in the Netherlands view homosexuality as moral.

So yeah, the Dutch are clearly rampantly homophobic homos.:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Phoebas wrote: »
    But everyone seems really nice when you're stoned off your tits.

Unless you get The Fear. Then everyone's out to get you.

Advertisement