Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dutch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

The Dutch are all arseholes, Adolf probably forgot you

/Lothar Matthaus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I havent met them all, and havent met all Germans so I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Don't like them.
    Was on holidays in Crete a few years ago and the place was full of Dutch and Irish. Dutch lads constantly trying to start fights and saw a group of them kicking a lad on the ground. Also was talking to a girl who said her friend was spit on by a big group of them the night before for no reason but that she was Irish.
    I've been to Holland and thought they were sound but that holiday was a bit of an eye opener about them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

ah, dutch gold

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

stankratz wrote: »
    Great bunch A stoned bunch of lads.

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Well they're good at making pastries and cheese and stuff. And great at growing weed! So I like them. They are very different from us though and their sense of of humor is a bit weird.
    Agree on the sense of humor bit . I have Dutch relatives and under that surface of Liberal European sophistication is a somewhat at times clannish , insular mentality with a blunt approach to everything and very different to the Irish/British .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

OAOB wrote: »
    Don't like them.
    Was on holidays in Crete a few years ago and the place was full of Dutch and Irish. Dutch lads constantly trying to start fights and saw a group of them kicking a lad on the ground. Also was talking to a girl who said her friend was spit on by a big group of them the night before for no reason but that she was Irish.
    I've been to Holland and thought they were sound but that holiday was a bit of an eye opener about them

To be honest your description is a lot more typical of the behaviour you'd see in Ireland much more than in the Netherlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'm not comparing them to Germans though. I like Germans and Dutch people, but Germans are my number one :)
    And they love each other too;)

I love the Netherlands, hate Maastricht, love Aachen, hate the Germans, love generalising, hate stereotypes . . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

As a fan of literature I've always preferred the Germans over the Dutch. German efficiency always means that writers are discovered and published whereas the Dutch ignore their own. Look at Anne Frank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There was a German guy in work and some lad playing the troll in Kris Kindle got him a Dutch football scarf

I wasn't aware until then there was such ill feeling between the Germans and Dutch
    Yeah lots of things in history but it's still nasty in the present day

And the guy was not impressed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

As a fan of literature I've always preferred the Germans over the Dutch. German efficiency always means that writers are discovered and published whereas the Dutch ignore their own. Look at Anne Frank!
    Anne Frank was German, not Dutch.

The Dutch weren't all pro allies duing ww2 ,they had their own version of the Hitler youth / Nazi party and even if they don't openly admit , some would see themselfs as more aligned to German culture as much as others lean more to the west . They have had some great national soccer teams to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

mikemac1 wrote: »
    There was a German guy in work and some lad playing the troll in Kris Kindle got him a Dutch football scarf

And the guy was not impressed

Inferiority complex

Also applies to the americans and canadians, the ozzies and new zealanders and of course us/the scots and the english

I think the french as well not sure who though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I like them, as smart and efficient as Germans but more friendly I found. Was talking to an elderly Dutch lady who's lived here for years-might be able to buy a loom from her :), and she was lovely. Best friend's BF is a Dutchie living too and while he's reserved he's sound.

Have some Dutch friends living here for years and I found them to be far more open-minded and progressive than many of us. A few working with animal rescue and welfare charities and others who are organic farmers down in Cork.

Very informed about what's going on in the world too. Erudite and well read too-you can have an intelligent conversation with them about any subject, which can't always be said for with some Irish people in my experience. Good people, though no doubt many knuckledraggers here would write them off as dirty hippies :rolleyes:

Love their sturdy upright Omafiets and Opafiets and their cycle network is amazing. Wish we had it here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Four pages and nobody mentioned:

William of Orange - not only the ultimate Orange Bastard, but one supported by the Roman Pope (as much as the average loyalist would be ignorant of that "contradiction") in his British-Roman Catholic conquest of Ireland from 1690.

Seeing as this thread is predicated upon generalisations, apart from being a humourless bunch of personality-deficient anglophiles, the Flemish side of Dutch culture has produced some fairly amazing landscape painting. Kudos on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I met nice ones, not so nice ones and horrible ones. Just like any other nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I was over in Amsterdam and was stoned off my head. I asked a Dutch man for directions and he helped me :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

(just for a bit of balance)

Cold, condescending, intrusive, anally retentive, hugely exaggerated sense of their own importance, tight as a gnat's chuff, lives planned out for years from cradle to grave, cunning enough to have a few loose cannons running about giving the place an unfounded reputation for wackiness. Like Germans but a bit taller and with worse food and beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

• Advertisement

(just for a bit of balance)
    Cold, condescending, intrusive, anally retentive, hugely exaggerated sense of their own importance, tight as a gnat's chuff
    ,annons running about giving the place an unfounded reputation for wackiness. Like Germans but a bit taller and with worse food and beer.
    Spot on ...especially the 'tight as a gnats chuff ' . If you were in front of a dutch firing quad they wouldn't give you a last smoke before dying . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

If you stay there long enough you'll end up speaking like them like this guy:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I worked there years ago and they are nice people. They all spoke English to me when i was there. Out of all the people i met there only one got a bit stroppy at having to speak English to me. So thats pretty good. Never got any bother out drinking either. Its a well run and mannerly country in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Most of the true points about the dutch have been said here already. Since i was 18 i have gone there at least three times a year.The first 10 times i was over there i would have said they were friendly,liberal ect but in truth there really not.A previous poster hit the nail on the head when he said there more polite than friendly.The Dutch really are not that liberal either they love money that is why you can buy cannabis there.I dislike the place the more and more i go i am giving Copenhagen a try this year for my weed smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

I couldn't speak of the entire Dutch population but the ones I've met have been decent, tall and honest. Their dress sense, however, is ****. I kind of like that though, they don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I love the Dutch there great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

It is said that the Dutch always arrive before dinner and without gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

cml387 wrote: »
    It is said that the Dutch always arrive before dinner and without gifts.

Ahm, not a single Irish person arriving here to dinner brought gifts :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Seanchai wrote: »
    Four pages and nobody mentioned:

William of Orange - not only the ultimate Orange Bastard, but one supported by the Roman Pope (as much as the average loyalist would be ignorant of that "contradiction") in his British-Roman Catholic conquest of Ireland from 1690.

Seeing as this thread is predicated upon generalisations, apart from being a humourless bunch of personality-deficient anglophiles, the Flemish side of Dutch culture has produced some fairly amazing landscape painting. Kudos on that.
    William of Orange, a great guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Jello wrote: »
    I was in Amsterdam last month and I honestly found them to be the friendliest nation of people I have ever come across.

Did you wipe it off and say you were sorry?

Advertisement