Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dutch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I liked the country so much that I decided to learn the language.
    It's really cool. Every 3rd word has a guttural sound somewhere in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

About 20 years ago my connecting flight from Schipol was snowed off. Train to main line station where a hotel tout took us to a seedy joint but it was bed and a few jars before an early flight. Up a narrow stairs to a garret bedroom ........ if there was a fire I'd be toast. Anyway a late night ensued and in my haste to get to the airport in the morning ........ I half ran most of the way to the train station. Had noticed that someone was coming after me and calling. 'Twas the cleaner .......... and he had my watch, ring and about 2500 euros in various currencies that I'd left by the wash hand basin. When I think of Amsterdam I remember this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Don't like the Dutch.

Only reason they actually exist is to ape British culture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Polders, I mean, what next?! Got my eye on you Holland! :pac:...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Seachmall wrote: »
    I was with my mates in Holland and we were stoned off our tits walking down the street, not really sure where we were going. A Dutch man stopped what he was doing, crossed the street and asked if we needed directions. We did and he promptly directed us where the main street was.

Another time we were out one of the nights heading to get food when a car pulled up, the guys in the car shouted something in Dutch which we didn't understand. I walked over to see what they wanted and they were selling cocaine. I told them I wasn't interested and if they knew of any good spots to get some grub. They recommended a place, told us how to get there and drove off.

I can, with confidence, say you would not find an elderly gentleman going for a Sunday stroll nor a cocaine dealer cruising around selling to tourists in Ireland as nice as you would in Holland.

I've been to over a dozen European countries, as well as 2 US cities and have never come across such helpful people.

Generalisations are fine when they're positive ;)

That wasn't cocaine they were selling. Probably crushed up paracetamol or something.

I've been twice. I find that quite a lot of them are a bit rude/stand-offish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    A lot of people have mentioned how polite the Dutch are. Id completely agree, even the police have "polite" written on the back of their jackets.

Sorry but it's "politie"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Re: The tightness thing + over estimation of their own importance. I worked with a Dutch guy before who used to ask the 2 girls there to pick him up a roll most times @ lunch. Everytime they brought him the roll he had to be reminded for the money whether it was at the end of the day or whatever.

His ego was huge, he practically thought he was running the company. Ignorant also. First day I was there I was trying to be friendly and said "hey im.." and just got a sharp blunt reply of "BUSY".

Went to college with a good few German people, alot of them were sound and had a sence of humour, some of them you would swear they are seeing a different world through their eyes than you are. Very cold

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

They make these whopper little tablets called Ez. For that alone they absolutely rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Besides being nearly run over by cyclists everywhere you go ! Love the dutch, seem like a very friendly people in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I liked the country so much that I decided to learn the language.
    It's really cool. Every 3rd word has a guttural sound somewhere in it.
    Jij klootzac :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

What do people here think of the Dutch?
    I personally like them but prefer Germans, that's just my preference.
    I'd like to find out about the Dutch though. We all know about Amsterdam and dykes but I'd like to get a little more than that.
    What do people think of the people themselves. They are very tall, I know that much.
    Are they big in to sports? I know they really enjoy ice skating.
    What about religion though, are they big in to it, I imagine not.
    Is there a somewhat seedy element and deviancy to them?
    Would they be considered a friendly nation? I know there's a bit of a racism issue there, somewhat due to Moroccan immigrants.
    I'd love to hear from real Dutch people or people who know some or even regularly visit the country.
    I'd like to get as much information as possible without really focusing on Amsterdam.
    my grandmother(rip) was a dutch woman. all i can remember is she was always cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

the dutch: alright people, ****e CSS players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

The Dutch are grand. And until recently had the most great to watch international side (they have beocme all defensive lately. Its alright when its Traps Ireland but qwhen you are actually watching football for entertainment its different :pac: )

While obviously not all of them a massive proportion of Germans are oddballs. In my work back home I can think of at least four weird ones. And they are on the whole appalingly tight with their money, particularly the women. I met one German bird in Australia who claimed she had not paid to use the internet in 7 months and wasnt about to start (the free net cafe was using archaic old Windows 95 PCs, it wasnt worth using. The public pay internet cost a whopping 1.50 euro per hour roughly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No-one mentioned Red Hot yet? ;)
    Spoonman75 wrote: »
    I gave her a DVD of the first series of "The Office" (the Ricky Gervais Version) and when I asked her what she thought of it she told me that she didn't find it funny. When I asked her what she thought of the David Brent charcter she replied, "I hate him". When I asked her what she thought was funny she said "Mr. Bean".:confused:

I'd agree with her. Different people have different tastes in comedy no matter what nationality they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

gurramok wrote: »
    I'd agree with her. Different people have different tastes in comedy no matter what nationality they are.

I haven't met a dutch person who didn't love father Ted though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

There are two things I hate in this world
    People who are intolerant of other peoples culture
    ..and the dutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The Dutch are a fantastic bunch (except for the knob security guard at the main train station in Amsterdam who kicked my mate in the ribs as he took a nap).

I've been many times & always, without fail, they blow my mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I suppose it all comes down to who you meet, generally the Dutch are fine, some can be great fun, some are let's say a bit too quiet and reserved.

They have a rep for being tight or mean and yes I have some firsthand experience. Makes you laugh all the same, to watch people agonise over spending/saving.

They've a very good record against Ireland in major soccer tournaments.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Spoonman75 wrote: »
    Well I'm not bashing all German people. I'm sure most are great and some (I would assume) have a great sense of humour. Believe me when I tell you that that German woman I knew was an absolute head wreck. So much so that when I hear the accent I get flashbacks!

I gave her a DVD of the first series of "The Office" (the Ricky Gervais Version) and when I asked her what she thought of it she told me that she didn't find it funny. When I asked her what she thought of the David Brent charcter she replied, "I hate him". When I asked her what she thought was funny she said "Mr. Bean".:confused:

A sense of humour is completely subjective, but if I was talking to someone who preferred "Mr. Bean" over "The Office".....? I'm sure the're are some Dutch people who like "Mr. Bean" but the same rule applies. Unless the're female and good looking.:D

She sounds like an oddball, plenty of them here in Germany, but then again no country is without its oddballs.

As for the The Office, most Germans love that series, they have their own version of it called Stromberg that has be running since 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I like Dutch South Africans.. Tough people who take no sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Oh yeah, the real boers, why is this not surprising?:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I have 2 great Dutch friends and one of my colleagues is Dutch too. They shpeak funny but seem like an ok bunch. I think they're far more conservative than we think however, at least outside of Amsterdam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I've always found them to be among the rudest, most racist and obnoxious people I have ever come across.

Love people from the Netherlands though, dirty sense of humour and generally a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

thats right just look at aparthied, twas tough,and they didnt take **** from anyone over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

milehip1 wrote: »
    thats right just look at aparthied, twas tough,and they didnt take **** from anyone over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

milehip1 wrote: »

Apartheid ended in 1990 and all apartheid law's were repealed in 1991 or 92' so don't hold people guilty for the sin's of their fathers.

It was a Dutch South African, F.W. De Klerk who released Mandela and started the dismantling the apartheid system.

Like I said, Dutch South Africans 'tough people who take no sh*t'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

They've produced some of the best footballers ever. Cruyff, Van Basten, Gullit, Bergkamp..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Dutch ovens are very good I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Apartheid ended in 1990 and all apartheid law's were repealed in 1991 or 92' so don't hold people guilty for the sin's of their fathers.

It was a Dutch South African, F.W. De Klerk who released Mandela and started the dismantling the apartheid system.

Like I said, Dutch South Africans 'tough people who take no sh*t'.

The apple dosent fall far form the tree in my experience,if by taking no ****, you mean walking over all and sundry I get you,
    but in my book that ain't a nice personality trait in anyone.

De Klerk may have dismantled aparthied after massive international pressure,scantions etc
    but it was a country of Dutch south africans who implemted in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

They are really just extensions of the Dutch in Hollond except much tougher but they would have to be living out in that place and as somebody said ...very very racist .

Advertisement