Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cabin in the Woods *Spoilers from post 180*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Personally I just want to see
    all those varied monsters go medieval on everyone's ass in a worldwide indiscriminate slaughter
    for the sequel. That would be awesome.

Yeah but it is not the
    monsters
    that would be doing that, it would be the
    ancients
    , which would be more like an invasion flick if played that way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Seen this movie last night would gladly pay 10 times the cost of the cinema ticket to have it erased from my memory. I taught it was a complete bore-fest from start to finish. The cast of Scooby doo (where the Scooby is replaced by a black guy) visit a seemingly pleasant cabin in the woods but end up deciding the
    fate of mankind
    with a nausea inducing amount
    of bad guys
    thrown in for good measure. Awful Terrible Stuff Entirely.

Thought this was awful muck too. Very shallow characters that I felt nothing for when they started being picked off, a nonsensical storyline, poor cgi, very few laughs and no real scares. Nearly dozed off at one point and probably would have left if I was on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Just something that I was wondering about:
    During the party, just before the red telephone rings to reveal that the 'fool' (marty?) isn't dead, they are talking about the tunnel not collapsing and someone says something like "there was a power surge from upstairs" and the 2 main guys look worried. Did I mishear that or is it referring to Marty messing with the elevator in the zombie grave?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

hollypink wrote: »
    Just something that I was wondering about:
    During the party, just before the red telephone rings to reveal that the 'fool' (marty?) isn't dead, they are talking about the tunnel not collapsing and someone says something like "there was a power surge from upstairs" and the 2 main guys look worried. Did I mishear that or is it referring to Marty messing with the elevator in the zombie grave?
    Yes; it's implied that he was responsible for that, probably accidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I enjoyed the movie. I couldn't help thinking that I wanted to love it more. I think a large part of this is again a trailer that ruins a lot of what is to come. We're in an age of youtube and being way too used to fast cuts in tv, movies and trailers
    and the trailer showed who the last 2 characters remaining would be. Ruining the reveal that the stoner hadn't died that time.
    I liked how it lead you up the garden path in relation to where you would predict there to be a scare or a jump (e.g. shifting the dog) just to leave you hanging in more anticipation for scares but then when the jumps did come they were still obvious which was a bit of a let down. Still there was more to this film than that and it was quite funny.
    I enjoyed the whole behind the scenes set up for what was going on.
    Does anyone else think the "revealing the voice to be Sigourney Weaver a little overdone. It wasn't that long ago since they did it in Paul.

Towards the end where it was full of creepy characters, it certainly was creepy but I would love to see more practical effects than a CG drenched screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Does anyone else think the "revealing the voice to be Sigourney Weaver a little overdone. It wasn't that long ago since they did it in Paul.

Towards the end where it was full of creepy characters, it certainly was creepy but I would love to see more practical effects than a CG drenched screen.

Yeah, agreed on both parts - re:
    Sigourney Weaver, she seems to be mainly doing cameos these days so the effectiveness in that role is kind of diminished IMO
    . I guess the CGI towards the end was for budget reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Can we leave the whole "the trailer gave too much away" stuff there, please? May well have done so but, these days, that's to be expected and if you're dumb enough to watch the trailers for this kinda movie then it's kinda your own fault anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

How can you call someone dumb for checking out a trailer for the sole purpose for what it is supposed to do? Make you interested in checking out the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Saw this yesterday and I really enjoyed it, even the gf (who needed a lot of convincing to go see it) thought it was good!

Def one of the best "horror" films I've seen in the big screen in a good while

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Can we leave the whole "the trailer gave too much away" stuff there, please? May well have done so but, these days, that's to be expected and if you're dumb enough to watch the trailers for this kinda movie then it's kinda your own fault anyway.
    Tbh I had never heard of the movie until I saw a tweet about it. So by your logic, I should just go watch the movie and if I hate it, well it's tough luck :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Just out of it.

I'm leaning on the thumbs up for fun side but not amazed.

practically i only had one problem with the film
    the purge button. PURGE DOES NOT MEAN THAT! Ok I am annoyed at firstly a button that releases all the monsters into the main base. I do not see the need for it. Secondly and more importantly...the button is called the emergency purge control. PURGE MEANS TO REMOVE! When I purge my septic tank I dont pour it over my sitting room carpet.

That just annoyed me and I guess its because I was thinking the same way as the film. *RELEASE ALL THE MONSTERS* I just hoped there would have been something more to it then *beep button* I thought they'd go back to the cabin and just started putting on all the necklaces and music boxes etc etc to release all the monsters. But I guess that would have killed the pace?

But yeah I enjoyed the film, good humour kept it flowing. But it's not a *game changer* as its advertising tries to sell it as. it's pretty much scream with monsters.

Personally I might have found it more interesting if it stayed on those in the facility and not on the *sacrifices*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

On the note of trailers giving too much away, I try as hard as I can to avoid trailers that are more than 30 seconds long as far too many of them are just ultra-condensed versions of the entire film.

I do wish more marketing for film releases would use original material (as in, filming new footage specifically for marketing purposes that still works as an advert for the film) rather than just putting together a highlights reel. I know it's a tricky thing to balance (eg you can't just do a Robert Rodriguez and sell Predators with a scene showing
    one human with dozens of Predators targeting him
    if that doesn't happen in the film) but it'd be better than the current trend.

Incidentally, there's a spoiler-laden article on this topic on the BBC website. Avoid it if you're in any way spoiler-averse (there are spoilers for other films too, though I don't think any of them are current releases).

How can you call someone dumb for checking out a trailer for the sole purpose for what it is supposed to do? Make you interested in checking out the movie.

Everyone knows by this stage that trailers give too much away these days. They used to give you a sense of the movie and show you a clip or two but these days, most trailers give away the plot of the movie and, most of the time, should be avoided.
    Tbh I had never heard of the movie until I saw a tweet about it. So by your logic, I should just go watch the movie and if I hate it, well it's tough luck :confused:

I hadn't heard of it either until I saw it brought up in the Joss Whedon forum. Checked out IMDB and saw that it was written by Joss Whedon, starred Chris Hemsworth and was in the horror vein. That's all I needed to know so I didn't watch any trailers at all and just saw the film.

Which is what I do for any film that sounds even vaguely appealing; just do a 2 minute research of it. If I'm sold enough by a brief synopsis or the cast/crew involved, then great. If not, I might check out a trailer on youtube. But usually just the ones that last <1minute.

I can understand catching a trailer in the cinema or glimpsing on on tv but it just makes good sense to try avoid trailers in general these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Just out of it.

I'm leaning on the thumbs up for fun side but not amazed.

practically i only had one problem with the film
    the purge button. PURGE DOES NOT MEAN THAT! Ok I am annoyed at firstly a button that releases all the monsters into the main base. I do not see the need for it. Secondly and more importantly...the button is called the emergency purge control. PURGE MEANS TO REMOVE! When I purge my septic tank I dont pour it over my sitting room carpet.

That just annoyed me and I guess its because I was thinking the same way as the film. *RELEASE ALL THE MONSTERS* I just hoped there would have been something more to it then *beep button* I thought they'd go back to the cabin and just started putting on all the necklaces and music boxes etc etc to release all the monsters. But I guess that would have killed the pace?

But yeah I enjoyed the film, good humour kept it flowing. But it's not a *game changer* as its advertising tries to sell it as. it's pretty much scream with monsters.

Personally I might have found it more interesting if it stayed on those in the facility and not on the *sacrifices*
    maybe one of the buttons she pressed turned off the kill part? and they just returned :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

It was wrecking my head throughout the film where I knew one of the controller guys from (the one obessesed with the
    merman
    )

Then I realised he's Eric from Billy Madison :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

maximoose wrote: »
    It was wrecking my head throughout the film where I knew one of the controller guys from (the one obessesed with the
    merman
    )

Then I realised he's Eric from Billy Madison :)

And Josh from the West Wing!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Did anyone else check their ticket to make sure they were in the right film in the first few mins??! :confused: ha

Great film. Reminded me a lot of Funny Games, though less uneasy and more enjoyable:)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

no lookee by me yet but i am very intrigued.

in these days of major hollywood product it's always
    a joy to look forward to something which may just
    exceed expectations.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

no lookee by me yet but i am very intrigued.

in these days of major hollywood product it's always
    a joy to look forward to something which may just
    exceed expectations.

:)

Go see it. Right now! :D It's the first film in a long time that I've wanted to go back to the day after and watch again. If you're a horror fan with a sense of humour, you'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I actually thought
    Jamie Lee Curtis would have made much more sense in that role. Still, I liked the surprise of Ripley. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So, anyone notice the unusually named character in the credits?
    Fornicus, Lord of Bondage and Pain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Saw this tonight and really enjoyed it. One thing though:
    Fysh wrote: »
    As for your spoilered question, it was answered within the film:
    the sacrifices have to choose - even if they are encouraged to do so by things like mind-altering chemicals or environmental manipulation - to do certain things that seal their fates; they also have to suffer before dying. The sacrifices are as much about offering the ancient gods a narrative as they are about the blood and death - hence the use of the monsters.
    When the guys in the control room saw the two in the elevator, didnt they instruct one of the security guys to kill the "fool"? Or did I miss something there? Surely such direct action would have made the death pointless in the terms of the sacrifice?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I believe he had already gone through the suffering etc, so just had to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Galvasean wrote: »
    Was that
    the dude with the circular saw blades in his head? Looked like he might be into a bit of kink alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Galvasean wrote: »
    You mean "Pinhead"? ;) Had to laugh when "Pennywise" showed up too.

Was also wondering if the "Ancient Ones" was referring to the Titans or the Lovecraftian Old Ones. Would have loved if, instead of the giant hand, a barely disguised part of "Cthulhu" came out of the ground at the end.

And what was the 1998 near failure reference about?

For those who wanted a proper look at the whiteboard, a decent quality shot of it is now up here. Needless to say, it contains spoilers if you haven't already seen the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Deadites nice little reference there and same with Dana and Sigoney Weaver

Fysh wrote: »
    For those who wanted a proper look at the whiteboard, a decent quality shot of it is now up here. Needless to say, it contains spoilers if you haven't already seen the film.

Awesome. Love the Evil Dead reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Whiteboard
    Alien Beast - Generic xenomorphic creature reference. (ex. Alien). [Bet on by Bio-Med]

Ancient Ones - Unique god-like beings (see Titans and Lovecraftian Elder Things). [Not on Betting Board]

Angry Molesting Tree - Specific reference to The Evil Dead (source: Kristen Connolly). [Bet on by Wranglers]

The Bride (Likely Summoned by Wedding Dress) - Possible reference to The Bloody Bride of 13 Curves Road. [Bet on by Digital Analysis]

Clown - Generic killer clown reference (ex. It). [Bet on by Electric]

Deadites - Specific reference to The Evil Dead franchise. [Bet on by Story Dept]

Demon - Generic demonic creature reference (ex. Night of the Demons). [No Bets]

Dismemberment Goblins - Unknown reference seen on the betting board and listed on credits. [No Bets]

The Doctors - Generic evil doctors reference (ex. House on Haunted Hill). [Bet on by Accounting]

Dolls aka Babydoll Faces (Possibly summoned by matching doll face masks)- Specific reference to The Strangers. [Bet on by Kitchen Staff]

Dragonbat - Unique creation (similar to Graveyard Shift). (Source: Script) [No Bets]

Fat Zombie - Seemingly specific reference to Boomers from Left 4 Dead. [Not on Betting Board]

Giant - Likely fantasy reference (ex. Trolljegeren). [Bet on by Zoology]

Giant Cobra - Generic giant snake creature reference (ex. King Cobra). [Bet on by Internal Logistics]

Giant Spider - Generic giant spider creatures reference (ex. Eight Legged Freaks).

Hell Lord aka Fornicus, Lord of Bondage and Pain (Summoned by Puzzle Orb) - Specific reference to Cenobites from Hellraiser. [Bet on by Sitterson]

The Huron - Likely reference to a killer Native American (ex. Scalps). [Bet on by R & D]

Jack O Lantern - Likely reference to pumpkin creatures (ex. Pumpkinhead). [Bet on by Security]

Japanese Floaty Girl (Kiko) - Generic reference to Japanese Yurei films (ex. The Grudge & The Ring.) [Japan]

Kevin - Unknown reference seen on betting board. (Possible reference to Sin City or Friday the 13th

Killbot - Generic killer robot/machine reference (ex. Hardware). [Not on Betting Board]

Kraken - Generic fantasy reference (ex. 20000 Leagues Under the Sea). [Not on Betting Board]

Merman (Summoned by Conch) - Generic fantasy reference (ex. Creature from the Black Lagoon). [Bet on by Hadley]

Mummy - Generic mummy reference (ex. The Mummy). [Bet on by Psychologists]

Mutants - Generic mutant reference (ex. Wrong Turn). [Bet on by Demolition]

The Reanimated - Unknown reference seen on betting board. [Bet on by Administration]

Reptilicus - Seen on betting board. Direct reference to Reptilicus. [No Bets]

Sasquatch / Wendigo / Yeti - Likely folklore reference seen on betting board (ex. Abominable). [No Bets]

Scarecrow Folk - Specific reference to Scarecrows. [Bet on by Data Archives]

Sexy Witches - Likely witch genre reference seen on betting board (ex. The Craft). [Bet on by Archives]

Snowman - Likely killer snowman reference seen on betting board (ex. Jack Frost). [Bet on by Communications]

Sugar Plum Fairy aka Ballerina Dentata (Summoned by Music Box) - Unique creation (source: Drew Goddard). [No Bets]

Twins aka Grady's Daughters - Specific reference to The Shining. [No Bets]

Unicorn - Generic fantasy reference (ex. Supernatural: Plucky Pennywhistle's Magic Menagerie (#7.14)). [Bet on by Engineering]

Vampires - Likely vampire genre reference seen on betting board (ex. Vampires). [Bet on by Distribution]

Werewolf - Generic werewolf genre reference (ex. The Wolf Man). [Bet on by Finance]

Witches - Generic witch reference (ex. Darkness Falls). [Bet on by Operations]

Wraiths - Generic ghost reference (ex. 13 Ghosts). [No Bets]

Zombie Redneck Torture Family aka the Buckners (Summoned by Diary) - Mash-Up of zombie, torture, & killer backwood family films. [Bet on by Maintainence & Ronald the Intern]

Zombies - Generic zombie reference (ex. Night of the Living Dead). [Bet on by Chem Dept]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

jamc wrote: »
    Jack and Jill your favourite film of last year so?

I thought that was actually okay. :o
    sxt wrote: »
    This film has been tagged as the best horor in 10 years

Is it as good as "Drag me to hell" (2009) ? Which was a VERY GOOD tongue in cheek Horror Movie !

I didn't like Drag Me To Hell at all for some reason. I'll go see Cabin in the Woods though because I'm curious. Seems that people either loved it or hated it and I want to see for myself.

Advertisement