Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cabin in the Woods *Spoilers from post 180*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

saw it earlier today and i did like the concept of the film but the film itself was nothing special and the ending wasnt great either, but it is worth look i suppose. 5 outta 10 id give it

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Is it scary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Just back from this, loved it, thought it was very sharp and a refreshing twist on a concept that has been done to death and then some.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

it's gettin more like cube
    hypercube
    zardoz
    the wizard of oz...

:o

it's a pity the the thick in the sun
    gave this one a top star rating...

must be playing on sky movies after it's cinema/
    dvd/whatever run...

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

it's gettin more like cube
    hypercube
    zardoz
    the wizard of oz...

:o

it's a pity the the thick in the sun
    gave this one a top star rating...

must be playing on sky movies after it's cinema/
    dvd/whatever run...

:rolleyes:

What in the name of god are you on about? Sorry, I know that sounds rude and it's not meant that way - but I just don't understand what you're trying to get at other than listing a few films which might (and I have to stress might there, for at least half the films you've listed the links are tenuous at best) and then veering off to talk about some review somewhere and then onto watching something on sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

This film has been tagged as the best horor in 10 years

Is it as good as "Drag me to hell" (2009) ? Which was a VERY GOOD tongue in cheek Horror Movie !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Very entertaining! Comedy was a bit iffy and its slow enough to get going (a good 45 minutes), but definitely worth a watch. The characters are extremely inventive (not the main ones) and fantastic visuals all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Enjoyed it very much and will be looking out for it when it comes out for home viewing. Nice twists, nuanced, good sense of humour and the last twenty minutes or so were balls-to-the-wall spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

ps3lover wrote: »
    No and I don't plan to, doesn't look like it's worth wasting any time going to see.

how-to-be-an-idiot.jpg

Going to see this tomorrow night. Wasn't too sold on the marketing but looking forward to it now. Seems to have gotten some pretty good reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I saw it last night and must say that it was bloody fantastic... I have one criticism about the trailer revealing significant parts....
    When Marty supposedly died, it was clear that he hadn't given the fact that the trailer showed him in the lift. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Didn't watch the trailer so didn't know what t expect, was great. Nice surprise. Nice mix between funny and horror lite.

Also love how
    even though the world was going to end the audience was more surprised to see Sigourney Weaver, huge gasp out of everybody, 'omg it's Sigourney Weaver'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Thought it was brilliant fun and a much needed tongue in cheek kick in the balls for the more comercially sucessful aspects of the genre. The less you know the better with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Saw today - brilliant film, solid 4/5 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Saw it today - had managed to avoid all trailers and ads for it, so loved every minute of it...

Truly brilliant...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Finally got to see it! I feel like I've been waiting years and you know how that goes, expectations rise up and movie cant reach them but this one fulfilled all my expectations!
    Enjoyed it so much, characters were great, though I don't think we got to see enough of them at the start to notice a change of them when they got into the "venue". It was
    only pointed out by the stoned guy later in the movie "Why is he being such an alpha male? Why is she being such a whore?"

I thought the 3rd act was a little slower than the rest of the movie but I was hooked by then and just grasping the edge of my seat. It was scary when it needed to be and hilarious for the rest for the time. It was self aware and mocking without threading into Leslie Nielson territory!

I am a Whedon fan but I didnt think kit "stank" of whedon-ness. Some dialogue, some interactions but not overwhelmingly so. Top not movie, highly recommend it, might go see it agin coz I feel like there was quite a lot of background stuff going on that I missed first time round.
    when they were betting on which monster would attack, and we get to see the board, I wanna pause the movie and see all the other options!!! :D

Also I thought they were betting on which one would die first! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

This movie rocked my socks off, few dull moments but went into over drive close to the end

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Is it scary?

No, it's funny and inventive, but not very scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Seen this movie last night would gladly pay 10 times the cost of the cinema ticket to have it erased from my memory. I taught it was a complete bore-fest from start to finish. The cast of Scooby doo (where the Scooby is replaced by a black guy) visit a seemingly pleasant cabin in the woods but end up deciding the
    fate of mankind
    with a nausea inducing amount
    of bad guys
    thrown in for good measure. Awful Terrible Stuff Entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Seen this movie last night would gladly pay 10 times the cost of the cinema ticket to have it erased from my memory. I taught it was a complete bore-fest from start to finish. The cast of Scooby doo (where the Scooby is replaced by a black guy) visit a seemingly pleasant cabin in the woods but end up deciding the
    fate of mankind
    of bad guys

Agree with every word.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

fate of mankind
    of bad guys

I understand that tastes vary and so it's inevitable that some folk won't enjoy the film, but I'm confused as to how anyone walking into this could make the complaint you've made, unless you went to see it absolutely blind (in which case, well, that's what you get for paying to watch a film without doing any research whatsoever).

What kind of film were you expecting this to be? For it to be a film you enjoyed, what would have had to be different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Fysh wrote: »
    I understand that tastes vary and so it's inevitable that some folk won't enjoy the film, but I'm confused as to how anyone walking into this could make the complaint you've made, unless you went to see it absolutely blind (in which case, well, that's what you get for paying to watch a film without doing any research whatsoever).

What kind of film were you expecting this to be? For it to be a film you enjoyed, what would have had to be different?

I admit that my basis for seeing this film was it seemed the best of a bunch and so was not expecting much but even so I was left very disappointed. I watched the trailer and was possibly swayed by the people saying how blown away they were, which is my own dumb fault. I think maybe it tried to hard to be different and lost any real suspense. The people who call this the best horror film of the last 10 years are just plain wrong, I would even struggle to describe it as horror.
    And the ending where the red haired girl was told to shoot the stoner dude to save the world was a bit confusing if you could just put a bullet in his head then what was the point of the elaborate not to mind expensive storing of not very scary monsters?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Watched it today and really enjoyed it. It's a real one for horror fans. I'd even go so far as to say if you like any horror films at all there is something for you, the more obscure the better
    merman!!!!
    There were a few bits that didn't quite work for example,
    why the hell did they leave a 'release all monsters into the facility' button right there???
    , but overall I'd give it a solid 4/5.
    More of a very dark comedy with elements of horror than an out n' out horror though.

I admit that my basis for seeing this film was it seemed the best of a bunch and so was not expecting much but even so I was left very disappointed. I watched the trailer and was possibly swayed by the people saying how blown away they were, which is my own dumb fault. I think maybe it tried to hard to be different and lost any real suspense. The people who call this the best horror film of the last 10 years are just plain wrong, I would even struggle to describe it as horror.
    And the ending where the red haired girl was told to shoot the stoner dude to save the world was a bit confusing if you could just put a bullet in his head then what was the point of the elaborate not to mind expensive storing of not very scary monsters?

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you on a couple of points here.

It is, in my opinion at least, certainly one of the most inventive high-profile American horror films in the last ten years. Mainstream horror films have, for the last ten years, tended to fall into one of three camps - schlocky slasher fluff (like the Friday 13th & My Bloody Valentine remakes), improbable-death-montage films like the ongoing Saw and Final Destination series (which probably includes nonsense like the Hostel films and whatnot), or the more recent low-budget jump-a-thons like Paranormal Insidious Bollockery.

Yes, we've had the likes of Severance, The Crazies, Zombieland, or Rob Zombie's Halloween (not to mention the excellent The Tunnel), but in terms of things with substantial cinematic releases, the horror genre has been pretty dull. Predictable exercises in presenting the same damn thing over and over again, for the most part.

So along comes Cabin In The Woods and it features three things that are normally sorely lacking in an American horror film:
    1. Dialogue that's not cringe-inducingly bad
    2. A knowing and self-aware narrative that acknowledges the clichés and conventions of the horror genre while incorporating them into the story
    3. A sense of humour!

Now, I'll grant you that it's not the same breed of horror that you might find in, say, The Shining or Martyrs. It's also not a generic "ZOMG! Invincible Serial Killer Murders Teens-Played-By-Late-TwentySomethings-To-Radio-Friendly-Heavy-Rock-Soundtrack" exercise, either. However, I think it's unarguable that it's a substantially better and more refined film than we are usually offered by those studios that even bother to make horror films these days.

As for your spoilered question, it was answered within the film:
    the sacrifices have to choose - even if they are encouraged to do so by things like mind-altering chemicals or environmental manipulation - to do certain things that seal their fates; they also have to suffer before dying. The sacrifices are as much about offering the ancient gods a narrative as they are about the blood and death - hence the use of the monsters.

Personally I thought they did a good job of explaining it just as much as was necessary for the film without resorting to tedious exposition scenes.

I want to see a Cube zero esque prequel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I'm not particularly a fan of horror films; The Shining is probably as far as I'd go in that direction. So I was a bit worried about going to see this but I was intrigued by the positive comments on this thread. And as someone said above, I found it an entertaining mix of horror and humour.
    I particularly liked the inhumanity of the party scene where they are all celebrating while on screen in the background the zombie is killing the 'virgin' girl

TBH I didn't really like
    the ending with the 'ancient gods' destroying the world or whatever
    but that aside, good film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

hollypink wrote: »
    TBH I didn't really like
    the ending with the 'ancient gods' destroying the world or whatever
    but that aside, good film.
    It's funny, but I had convinced myself that what was really going to happen was that
    Marty was going to turn out to be the virgin and in saving himself from, er Dana (?), he'd inadvertently save the world. Was disappointed when they just sat there, mainly because it made me wrong :P

It's funny, but I had convinced myself that what was really going to happen was that
    Marty was going to turn out to be the virgin and in saving himself from, er Dana (?), he'd inadvertently save the world. Was disappointed when they just sat there, mainly because it made me wrong :P

That's what I thought they were alluding to myself.

PS: Re: the ending:
    Cronus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I saw this film this evening and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I never watched any trailers so went in blind so to speak and it was a better experience for it. I thought that it was a really solid movie overall with lots of twists and turns although I'm not sure if it's worth all the hype (93% on Rotten Tomatoes!?!?!)

I have to say
    the end was fairly weak IMO. The appearance of Sigourney Weaver took me by surprise but I predicted the little zombie girl making an appearance right at the end after seeing her step out of the elevator earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Sets it up nicely for a
    Buffy/Angel movie, to combat the risen ancients
    ??? Loved seeing
    Amy Acker (Fred) and Tom Lenk (Andrew)
    making appearances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Sets it up nicely for a
    Buffy/Angel movie, to combat the risen ancients

Personally I just want to see
    all those varied monsters go medieval on everyone's ass in a worldwide indiscriminate slaughter
    for the sequel. That would be awesome.

Advertisement