Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

On Mars, a day is longer than a year

That can sometimes be the same in my job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Icepick wrote: »
    Westminster

What? Do you mean it as in Westminster City as a borough of London? And that Batsy was referring to the City of London rather than Greater London?

Abbey Road (street)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

44leto wrote: »
    LOL
    The Normans and they founded the land of Rus, Russia.

Technically it was Kiev Rus Ukraine which is where Russia really began, but I'll give you that.:D Also your facts about the true scale of the solar system has me fascinated. Thanks.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

Sindri wrote: »
    What? Do you mean it as in Westminster City as a borough of London? And that Batsy was referring to the City of London rather than Greater London?

Abbey Road (street)
    yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour (1313)
    a ban on firing a cannon close to a dwelling house (Met Police Act 1839);
    the prohibition of driving cattle through the streets of London (Metropolitan Streets Act 1867).

Nothing particularly bizzare about any of those. Its easy enough to envisage times/situations in the past when such laws would have made perfect sense and there is no pressing reason for repealing them now ?

And I dont know about you but I dont want every Tom Dick and Harry firing cannons anywhere next nigh or near my gaff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

God doesn't exist.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

44leto wrote: »
    The most influential man who shaped the events of the 2oth century was Gavrilo Princip, (who the hell is he), he was the Serbian nationalist who, by a stroke of luck, shot Archduke Franz Ferdinand..

Wasnt very lucky for the aul Archduke all the same ?

Mind you WW1 would have happened regardless. Tensions between the European powers had been building up to boiling point for quite a while and all those countries didnt embark on one of the bloodiest conflicts of all time merely over some minor Royal getting whacked someplace most of their populations couldnt find on a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Hot water freezes quicker than colder water.

Do you mean that it cools quicker than colder water?

Are you simply pointing out the obvious relationship between heat flow and temperature differential?

The term "freezes" means to transform to ice, and hot water never turns to ice (at pressures observable on this planet).

Let's not turn AH into a forum where people can speak out against the laws of physics!! Down with this sort of thing!!

Z

Zen65 wrote: »

Are you simply pointing out the obvious relationship between heat flow and temperature differential?

The term "freezes" means to transform to ice, and hot water never turns to ice (at pressures observable on this planet).

Let's not turn AH into a forum where people can speak out against the laws of physics!! Down with this sort of thing!!

Z

On this forum we obey the laws of thermodynamics!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Here, if that gorilla eats the banana peel as well, why does he bother to peel it at all?

What an idiot.

• Advertisement

Australias toilets flow Counter clockwise!

Although the Coriolis effect does result in water in the southern hemisphere having a tendency to spin counter-clockwise as it drains from a vessel, the stronger local forces (e.g. motion caused by the stirring of the water, heat variations, imperfections or asymmetry of the toilet or basin) have a stronger influence on the actual direction the water spins.

However, the direction of wind is reversed as you cross the equator, so that a high pressure system rotates clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counter-clockwise in the southern hemisphere.

Z

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Sindri wrote: »
    On this forum we obey the laws of thermodynamics!

Z
    Hot water freezes quicker than colder water.

Hot water does not freeze faster than cold water. The myth is based on the fact that when you put hot water in the ice cube tray and then put it in the freezer, a lot of the water evaporates. This means that there is less water in the ice cube tray and this smaller quantity of water freezes more quickly than the larger amount of water which remains in the tray when cold water is used as there is less/no evaporation in the latter situation.

If you were to calculate the amount of water lost through evaporation prior to the start of the freezing process and then remove it from the normal volume put in the ice cube tray you would see that this amount of cold water would freeze as quickly as a fully loaded tray of hot water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Human hair and fingernails continue to grow after death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Two facts that I believe
    1 God is real
    2 after the next election FF will be back in power

I'll throw in a third one for free .Kian from westlife is a bully on the voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    Human hair and fingernails continue to grow after death.

Wrong. Something to do with your tissue shrinking that gives this impression.

If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning first before you will die of oxygen deprivation.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) is not poisonous. It occurs naturally in nature (including within your body) and your lungs release it with every breath. However, your lungs cannot separate the oxygen from the carbon so breathing it in will not sustain life.

In fact, in a room full of CO2 you will die due to oxygen deprivation, in much the same manner as drowning in water.

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Carbon dioxide (CO2) is not poisonous. It occurs naturally in nature (including within your body) and your lungs release it with every breath. However, your lungs cannot separate the oxygen from the carbon so breathing it in will not sustain life.

In fact, in a room full of CO2 you will die due to oxygen deprivation, in much the same manner as drowning in water.

Z

Could you die from too much oxygen?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My cats breath smells of cat food

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On Mars, a day is longer than a year
    LOL

Mars is the planet with the closest day length to our own.

Mercury would be a gas during daytime on Mercury and a solid at night.

Also the London factoids mentioned at the start of the thread are very out of date and many are no longer true.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hot water does not freeze faster than cold water. The myth is based on the fact that when you put hot water in the ice cube tray and then put it in the freezer, a lot of the water evaporates. This means that there is less water in the ice cube tray and this smaller quantity of water freezes more quickly than the larger amount of water which remains in the tray when cold water is used as there is less/no evaporation in the latter situation.

If you were to calculate the amount of water lost through evaporation prior to the start of the freezing process and then remove it from the normal volume put in the ice cube tray you would see that this amount of cold water would freeze as quickly as a fully loaded tray of hot water.

Alas I don't think it's that simple.

(Leave aside the risk of cracking your windscreen!) Next time your car windscreen is frozen pour boiling water on it. See how long it takes to turn to ice. Now compare this with "lukewarm" water and water just a few degrees above zero. On a cold day "hot" water does appear to reach freezing point faster than cooler water would.

This is an incredibly complex field of thermodynamics and I don't want to bastardise it plus water itself is a bastard. To me though the "myth" is valid. (Or should I say confirmed?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Water bears are tough little buggers.

-273C to +151C
    10 days in the vacuum of space even in direct sunlight
    can survive without water for years

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭twistedsoul

Danger **** are Dangerous !

Jernal wrote: »
    Alas I don't think it's that simple.

(Leave aside the risk of cracking your windscreen!) Next time your car windscreen is frozen pour boiling water on it. See how long it takes to turn to ice. Now compare this with "lukewarm" water and water just a few degrees above zero. On a cold day "hot" water does appear to reach freezing point faster than cooler water would.

This is an incredibly complex field of thermodynamics and I don't want to bastardise it plus water itself is a bastard. To me though the "myth" is valid. (Or should I say confirmed?)

Is it due to rapid convection?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

aramush wrote: »

Sometimes, when I'm fucking an ugly girl it takes me 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Nerds arn't stoopid. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Z

Careful now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

policarp wrote: »
    A broken bone is stronger when it heals. . .

Don't know about that but here's one:

Pound-for-pound, bone is stronger than steel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

aramush wrote: »

The pig I shagged last weekend didnt orgasm for 30 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Jernal wrote: »
    On a cold day "hot" water does appear to reach freezing point faster than cooler water would.

No it doesn't. The cold water freezes faster.
    Proof: go outside and fúcking try it.

The mpemba effect occurs in certain conditions but pouring water on the ground is not one of those conditions

Advertisement