Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

dx22 wrote: »
    If you throw your tv remote at your LCD tv the remote will actually bounce off the powerful magnetic field that is a by-product of flat screen technology rather than hit the screen!

Video ,please ,of you doing that.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to pretend to be a pensioner from Chelsea ? :confused:
    ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_pensioner

They have a very privileged retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

The latest generation of ipads come with a built-in, automatically activated, weighing scales app.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Batsy wrote: »
    If London were a country it would be the 8th biggest in Europe.

Do you mean in terms of population, not size?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Polar bears' hair is transparent, not white.
    The hair of a polar bear looks white because the air spaces in each hair scatter light of all colors. The color white becomes visible to our eyes when an object reflects back all of the visible wavelengths of light, rather than absorbing some of the wavelengths.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/polarbear.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭bob the bob

Batsy wrote: »

There are no roads in the City of London.

Can you elaborate please?

I work in the City of London and your post doesn't correlate with what I see every day, i.e. loads of roads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

If you throw your tv remote at your LCD tv the remote will actually bounce off the powerful magnetic field that is a by-product of flat screen technology rather than hit the screen!
    I trust you will understand if I don't give that one a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

The fumes :rolleyes:

What fumes? Isn't the London Underground run on electric?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 YourAMentalist

A transplanted kidney is placed above your hip rather than in the old kidneys location because it is not very accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I work in the City of London and your post doesn't correlate with what I see every day, i.e. loads of roads

I think he is referring to the names of streets. None have road in them. They have alley, street ect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

mattjack wrote: »
    Video ,please ,of you doing that.

Well whilst making a video to prove this claim the security staff in Harvey Norman asked me to leave so unfortunately i cannot supply any video evidence yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Shaving against the grain gives you a closer cut than going with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd guess that all thoroughfares in London are named Whatever Street instead of Whatever Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Love2love wrote: »
    I think he is referring to the names of streets. None have road in them. They have alley, street ect.

Abbey Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Cookie Monster from Seasame Street has a real name, it is Sid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The true scale of the solar system, we are use to seeing it nicely laid out on a textbook. But a text book is far to small to show its true scale. If you put Earth on a scale of the size of a grain of rice, the sun would be 300 metres away and the size of a 3 story house Jupiter about a mile away and the size of a beach ball, Neptune a mile and half and the size of a football and Pluto would be 2 and half miles away and the size of this fullstop. Also 99% of the matter in the solar system in contained in the Sun.

That puts into perspective how gloriously successful the Voyager missions were, truly one of mans greatest achievements.

I think it refers to the square mile. The streets were already named before the word road was invented.

http://http://fightingmonsters.wordpress.com/2008/10/14/no-roads-in-the-city-of-london/

I think it refers to the square mile. The streets were already named before the word road was invented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Farting into cupped hands and then inhaling the contents is good for you skin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You are saying something that its mainly plastic will be deflected by a magnetic field?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

44leto wrote: »
    The true scale of the solar system, we are use to seeing it nicely laid out on a textbook. But a text book is far to small to show its true scale. If you put Earth on a scale of the size of a grain of rice, the sun would be 300 metres away and the size of a 3 story house Jupiter about a mile away and the size of a beach ball, Neptune a mile and half and the size of a football and Pluto would be 2 and half miles away and the size of this fullstop. Also 99% of the matter in the solar system in contained in the Sun.

That puts into perspective how gloriously successful the Viking missions were, truly one of mans greatest achievements.
    The Vikings haven't gone on any missions since The battle of Clontarf! and how a bunch of marauding norsemen, raping and pillaging, can be described as one of mans greatest achievements is beyond me.:D:D:D

Farting into cupped hands and then inhaling the contents is good for you skin.

Except guinness ones they can destroy a mans septum, thats what really happened to Danniella Westbrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

A blue whales tongue weighs more than an elephant

Bone is 5 times stronger than steel

About 75 acres of pizza are eaten every day in the US

All planets in our solar system rotate anti-clockwise, except for Venus

If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning first before you will die of oxygen deprivation.

Viking helmets didn't have horns in them!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Shaving against the grain gives you a closer cut than going with it.

It also removes half your face!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

You are saying something that its mainly plastic will be deflected by a magnetic field?

:rolleyes:

Yes your correct...the magnetic field repells metal not plastic so it would deflect something like a hammer maybe,apologies

lividduck wrote: »
    The Vikings haven't gone on any missions since The battle of Clontarf! and how a bunch of marauding norsemen, raping and pillaging, can be described as one of mans greatest achievements is beyond me.:D:D:D

LOL
    I actually meant the Voyager probes.

But the Viking have had a very big cultural impact on Europe, they founded a number of Cities including Dublin its just a pity they didn't stay and run it. The Normans and they founded the land of Rus, Russia.

They weren't all about the rape and pillage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

sex is better with the chick on top

sex is better with the chick on top

Yeah you tend to crush the chicken when you get on top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

A blue whales tongue weighs more than an elephant

Bone is 5 times stronger than steel

About 75 acres of pizza are eaten every day in the US

All planets in our solar system rotate anti-clockwise, except for Venus

If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning first before you will die of oxygen deprivation.

Presumably you'll only die once. Therefore it is more likely that you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning.

Advertisement