Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Facts that go against the grain completely

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Batsy wrote: »

3 Brits die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.

Impossible. Volts don't kill, it's the amps that. Sure you'd need at least double that to even have a chance of passing through a layer of skin! Even if they were submerged in water, you would need at least 50-75 volts to cause damage (possible death)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

"riding" or "hostile incursion"

There is definitely no difference between either of those things. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Just watching Sky News, the Pakistani foreign minister is a ride. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

If you open your mouth, stick your tongue out and pretend to shake salt vigorously on it, you can taste salt. If you can't do it the first time, try it with your eyes closed.

It's mad the way you can play tricks on your on own mind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    calculating the mass of the atmosphere above us is a fairly easy thing to do.
    especially if you've been feeling under pressure lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

If you touch your right elbow with your right hand and try to eat your left ear, you can't scream.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sindri wrote: »
    A bee by all rights should not be able to fly.
    Only if you used an old theory of flight that didn't take into account vortex lift

In science and engineering when the theory doesn't match the facts you have to change the theory.

Gravity is just a theory,

and so is Intelligent Falling :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

If you open your mouth, stick your tongue out and pretend to shake salt vigorously on it, you can taste salt. If you can't do it the first time, try it with your eyes closed.

delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

44leto wrote: »

Just watching Sky News, the Pakistani foreign minister is a ride. Fact.

Agreed. Id do her.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The traffic on the quays in Dublin city used to be the other way around, North quays took you West and South quays took you East
    and before that they were two way on both sides as you can see in this film https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Shore

• Advertisement

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    It's a silly thing to say anyway. More people in the US are killed by vending machines every year than by sharks. Does that mean a vending machine is more dangerous than a shark?
    There was a factoid about vending machines killing US Marines than enemy action.

The basis in truth is that you could shake free drinks out of the machine and at the time there weren't that many wars.
    http://articles.latimes.com/1989-06-18/local/me-3725_1_vending-machines-marine-corps-recruit-depot-fatal-accident

Good thing BinLaden didn't think of that, instead of IED's you'd have vending machines all over Iraq

antodeco wrote: »
    Impossible. Volts don't kill, it's the amps that. Sure you'd need at least double that to even have a chance of passing through a layer of skin! Even if they were submerged in water, you would need at least 50-75 volts to cause damage (possible death)
    It's volts that jolts and mil's that kills ;)

(miliamps that is)

20V may give you a shock
    10V directly across your heart (not skin) could be fatal

I have to call BS on the 9V battery unless someone comes up with a peer reviewed source
    3 Brits die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.

The recently announced single atom transistor contains more than one atom.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Mr NoTV

The chain on a chainsaw is pushed, not pulled round the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Hogwash

The max difference between high and low on earth is about 17km
    According to wiki the average diameter is 13000km
    Deviation of 0.13%

Golf ball difference is 0.254mm
    According to wiki the diameter is about 47mm
    Deviation of 0.54%

Golf ball is way less smooth.

I'm very glad I did that in the privacy of my own home so that I didn't look like I decided to mime giving oral sex to a man while at college.

(miliamps that is)

20V may give you a shock

I have to call BS on the 9V battery unless someone comes up with a peer reviewed source
    I read somewhere that it takes only 35mA across the heart to kill.

If I remember my multimeter readings correctly the resistance of my skin was about 1400Ω.

IR=V (Ohm's Law)
    I(1400)=9
    I=9/1400
    I=6.5 mA

6.5 < 35
    QED:P

Fact: I have far too much time on my hands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The heart isn't heart shaped.

Stars aren't star shaped.

Ginger isn't ginger coloured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

This was on the telly last week.

In the USA pizza is a vegetable. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

If you block your nose and bite into an apple, onion or potato you won't be able to tell which is which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

(miliamps that is)

20V may give you a shock

a few mV at a few uA can kill but it would need to be applied through broken skin..I would believe its possible but the fiqures quoted per unlikely if in fact it has ever happened.

I decided to google a bit..

Apparently there was a US sailor being trained as an electrician who killed himself by sticking the probes of an Ohmmeter through his skin to measure his internal resistance.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/28/the_odd_body_death_by_battery/

kincsem wrote: »

If that is the case, I claim beer is also a vegetable and therefore good for you.

• Advertisement

No it's not. The tomato sauce on a pizza is counted as a portion of vegetable

Gbear wrote: »
    The max difference between high and low on earth is about 17km
    According to wiki the average diameter is 13000km
    Deviation of 0.13%
    The earth is not a sphere, it's more flattened at the poles.

The north pole is 43Km closer to the centre of the earth than the equator is.

A billiard ball is rounder than the earth.

The earth is not a sphere, it's more flattened at the poles.

The north pole is 43Km closer to the centre of the earth than the equator is.

A billiard ball is rounder than the earth.

It's an oblate Spheroid according to Mr Fry and the QI team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Ordinary non-rechargeable batteries can be recharged if you know how..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

al28283 wrote: »
    No it's not. The tomato sauce on a pizza is counted as a portion of vegetable
    Tomato is a fruit :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

44leto wrote: »
    If that is the case, I claim beer is also a vegetable and therefore good for you.
    Nonsense. Of course beer isn't a vegetable. Containing wheat, yeast and water beer is obviously a type of bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

False, don't believe everything you see on tv.

This "pizza is a vegetable" thing ... the programme said as there was tomato (sauce) on the pizza the pizza counted as a vegetable in school meals.

http://www.thejournal.ie/us-congress-rules-that-pizza-is-a-vegetable-282033-Nov2011/

RGDATA! wrote: »
    False, don't believe everything you see on tv.
    True, as long as it has two tablespoons of tomato sauce in it.

• Advertisement

This "pizza is a vegetable" thing ... the programme said as there was tomato (sauce) on the pizza the pizza counted as a vegetable in school meals.

http://www.thejournal.ie/us-congress-rules-that-pizza-is-a-vegetable-282033-Nov2011/

It is not a vegetable in the US, It is counted as equal to a portion of vegetables. But that doesn't make an interesting article

Advertisement