Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Ahem* slight rant

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Not if her world view is topsy-turvy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Northclare wrote: »
    Nice one lads, a map of the world with no atheists.
    That's a map of world religions. Atheism is not a religion.

/sheesh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What does the country a person was born in have anything to do with their beliefs.

Isn't it obvious?

Funnily enough, people born here in Ireland are usually Christian, mostly Catholic. And people born in say, Israel are funnily enough, Jewish.

I suppose if you're lucky you may meet a Muslim in Iran... oh right...

I mean really, why even ask that question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Why are you worried about me asking the question ?

I think its a good idea if you question why your turning my question into your question.

Can someone answer these questions without sarcasm or insulting comments ?

If your into house music would you refuse to dance if the DJ spun some soulful gospel house ?

If you like Iron Maiden, would you sing along to their songs ? or e mail them and tell them their lyrics are not politically correct ?

Why are you worried about me asking the question ?

Because it's not a very smart question to ask. It has an incredibly obvious answer, which a few people have given here.

Think about it for a moment. How much of your religious views are a direct result of being born and raised where you were? Who taught you religion? Who told you that your particular religion is the right one? How come people in predominantly Muslim countries generally don't grow up Catholic or Lutheran or Methodist? Don't you think it's interesting that the ones that DO grow up to be other than the most common religion in that country were generally raised by people of the same religion?

The question itself isn't at all worrying. The answer not being readily apparent to you is.

• Advertisement

Maybe you should read the post above my original question.

I know that there are different religions all over the world.

But for you to say my question is stupid means you make a judgment without even asking why I asked the so called stupid question.

A lot of posts from the atheists seem to mention the word stupid a lot.

If you were wondering how one can prune a rose or graft a rose onto a root stock, would it be nice of me to laugh and say ffs are you stupid :S

Can you tell the difference between two root cuttings from the same plant ?

:)

You misunderstand.

Good horticulture requires plenty of training and practice.

Asking something that is obvious after a moment's thought does not. You may as well get upset at the stares you'll get from asking "What's 1+1?"

That's the point I'm making I could ask 300 horticultural experts the same question and every answer won't be the same.

It al depends on the angle of the cut, the time of year, the right rootstock where to get it, and the right growing conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Question for the OP:

Have you carried out / or can you quote a large survey of atheists which would support your hypothesis ?

Because, otherwise, you are generalising based on absolutely nothing.

In my experience, it's just simply a case that they do not believe in any god/gods because they are quite logical and analytical and not because they're somehow traumatised by bad things happening in the world.

There maybe many reasons why someone has a particular set of beliefs or none, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions without doing proper sociological research!

And how many answers are there to 1+1, Nothclare?

You've been given the answer by several people at this stage. Can you not be thankful that you've learned something you didn't know before?

• Advertisement

Why are you worried about me asking the question?
    Nobody was "worried" that the question was asked.

What was silly was that having asked a good question, even if it had a fairly obvious answer which was provided politely, was that you then tried to make a a smartass comment, and so, you got a few smartass replies in response.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap -- look on it as an expression of everybody's love for you :)

Maybe your right but to some people you could be wrong.

I could tell someone ill take them to see the Atlantic Ocean and bring them to Poulnasherry Bay.

I could take out a map of the world and show it to someone who is illiterate and point to the pacific.

I could be selling trout flies to a guy who knows nothing about fishing and tell him he will catch dogfish down the local river.

It's the same with religion and spirituality if Atheists did more research on the depth of it all then they might just keep an open mind about it.

I was an Atheist and became a believer thats my business but I know what its like to be an atheist, but do ye know what its like to believe in God ?

Most of us do. Nearly all of the posters here were born in Ireland, after all.

Then we started actually looking at the faith we were required to believe in. Most of us concluded that it was bollocks for a very large variety of reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I could tell someone ill take them to see the Atlantic Ocean and bring them to Poulnasherry Bay.

I could take out a map of the world and show it to someone who is illiterate and point to the pacific.

I could be selling trout flies to a guy who knows nothing about fishing and tell him he will catch dogfish down the local river.

It's the same with religion and spirituality if Atheists did more research on the depth of it all then they might just keep an open mind about it.

I was an Atheist and became a believer thats my business but I know what its like to be an atheist, but do ye know what its like to believe in God ?
    You really don't have anything useful to add to this thread at all, do you?

I suspect you like to think of your posts as being witty and challenging, when in fact you are but the latest in a long line of religious trolls who are all mouth and no ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

You're either right or wrong. Religion is either true or false. There's plenty of evidence for religion being a myth but none for it being true.

That's what religion does. Makes a fool out of you. But the trip doesn't end at Poulnasherry Bay.

Is it like believing in 'psychic Sally' and her super powers? Or John 'biggest douche in the universe' Edwards?

Isn't it awfully convenient that religion is a belief that you must blindly accept without any 'proof'. It's probably just a coincidence that the church has a lot of power and money. god loves money. The flock needs a shepherd. "Baaaaaaaaaaa!"

do ye know what its like to believe in God ?
    I think most people know what it's like to have to make the often heroic effort required to convince oneself that some deity exists, or at least, to pretend that it does.
    Nothing "could" about it -- to many people we are factually wrong (and morally, intellectually and no doubt, everything else too).

But still, at most, one side is right and even the balance of probabilities, let alone the balance of evidences, does not suggest that it's yours.

Well if thats your opinion Dades so be it many of ye are very clever and know just about everything about nothing.

It was a challenge for me being a believer to go into your superficial nerdy discussions.

I might not add much to your discussion but your far too clever for me to be engaging with.

Its true what believers say about atheists...........

They make you uncomfortable by challenging the beliefs for which you have no evidence, or are even flat out rubbish?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well if thats your opinion Dades so be it many of ye are very clever and know just about everything about nothing.
    If I was short with you it's because I hate to see regular posters honestly engaging with people who have no inclination to follow a discussion, and simply respond in rhetoric.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It was a challenge for me being a believer to go into your superficial nerdy discussions.

I might not add much to your discussion but your far too clever for me to be engaging with.

That we're meticulous about where we place our apostrophes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That they don't like nonsense and fairy tales being sold as fact?

Our lack of religious guilt makes us demons in the sack?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Any chance of a sock puppet check?
    I'm getting deja-vu here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

All this being smug and condescending about atheists being smug and condescending is making my brain hurt :(

Advertisement