Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Ahem* slight rant

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Some would argue the emergency shelters are actually better than what they had before.
    Only those trying to create an alternative reality to fit their worldview.

Seriously, Haiti is not better off, though maybe you'd suggest the 230,000 men women and children that died, are?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anyway guys, im not liking the way this thread is going. Nothing against anyone just i put too much time in it.

I shall leave this thread and forum for a while to the disappoimoment of some im sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

128786935429997216.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I cant remember you're question but if its why do I believe in God?

I feel very blessed.

Like how many people are poor, how many people dont have access to clean water, how many people are in bad health?

I'm none of those things, I live a good life, it could be better but it could be a hell of a lot worse, and for this reason I'm thankful.

Why doesnt God make everybody rich and happy so?

Again I dont know, perhaps God left the running of the world in the hands of man and this is the result.

Why do natural disasters happen?

NOt all disasters are bad, also humans arent the only species on earth. When floods happen, some species prosper while others dont, it's the circle of life, and we as humans have to live as one in perfect harmony with nature.

Also take Haiti, I remember seeing an interview and a woman said that the earthquake was like a blessing, many died but the attention and money poured into it after majorly improved the standard of living there.

See, it's stuff like this that put's me off the religious.

Life is good for you, so clearly God loves you and he exists. And all the poor people well, they're just being 'tested' aren't they.

Bloody well guarantee that if the situations swapped for a while your faith would dwindle to sod all.

You live in comfort because you were born in the right country, that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

What does the country a person was born in have anything to do with their beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Pretty much everything. Do you think you'd be Catholic if you were born and raised in Saudi Arabia?

Galvasean wrote: »
    128786935429997216.jpg

Not funny at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Northclare wrote: »
    What does the country a person was born in have anything to do with their beliefs.

The belief system which you are indoctrinated to follow is most likely defined by your geographic location. For example, if I were born in Iran, I would most likely have been raised under some branch of Islam.

I would be into Sufism :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Heard of many atheists in Afghanistan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

65ff0615-72b4-4fc7-bd75-ec5e4989b621.jpg

Whichever religion rules the roost gets first dibs. For example in Ireland the schools have for a long time been run by the Roman Catholic Church who have made sure that their religion was thought as fact. Until quite recently anyone who questioned said 'facts' got the crap beaten out of them.
    Jump over to Saudi Arabia where Muslims are in charge. Kids are thought that Islam is true from the word go so they grow up to be Muslims.
    Not funny at all

Orange2 seemed to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

worldmapsmall.jpg

Looks like atheists don't exist on that map thanks for the proof lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh dear.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Looks like atheists don't exist on that map thanks for the proof lads :)

Internet-wtf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 iBeast

I think all atheists are just grumpy wasters looking for attention.

iBeast wrote: »
    I think all atheists are just grumpy wasters looking for attention.

Says the guy who went out of his way to go into an Atheism & Agnosticism forum to say that..

edit: how about that Stephen Hawking guy huh? What a waster! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

So what you're saying is that I didnt actually use any of those words.

What definition of God did you see to say he's 'all loving?'

And again maybe the God you dont believe in is all those things but the God I believe in I just cant say that is true or untrue.

Then please, define what you believe ''God'' is in your opinion so everyone here can use the correct terms. You don't think your God is all-loving, what else do think he is/is not. It'll save everyone hassle.
    And lets say God didnt exist? easy right for you, then how can you explain why earth has oxygen, and no other planet around us has? That's if you believe in other planets, maybe no other planet exists but yet you believe there are because somebody told you.

Some things are because they are, I cant explain it, I dont know why God does these things, maybe there is no God but what harm is it doing you if you I believe in something?

I literally banged my head against the keyboard at that. One word: Photosynthesis! You know, the thing plants do?! Just because you can't explain something, does not mean it already hasn't been.

And of course there are other planets! I can give you a fecking telescope and you can see them for yourself, not just because a man in a lab coat told us there was. You may as well have said there's no Moon while you were at it. -.-

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as crass, but you're just being ignorant yourself, even if by accident. If you're going to make a statement like ''Explain how oxygen on this planet.'' then have some evidence to back it up YOUR explanation, and not just ''my invisible friend did it.''
    You seem particularly overly non-religious, have you got 100% proof of no god or do you blindly believe what some scientist tells you?

Burden of proof lies with those that make the statement, ergo ''I believe in God'' Again, you are a person that does not understand that Atheism is effectively, the default position of belief and non-belief.

And as for ''blindly believing what some scientist tells you?'', nearly every single thing that science has provided us, can be tested by independent observers. I believe scientists when they say Gravity exists. I can't see it, touch, taste or smell it, but I CAN test it. I can pick something up and observe gravity working. And if tomorrow, a scientist came with an alternative explanation as to why things fall back to the ground and he had concrete, repeatable experiments that prove his hypothesis, then we would revise the Law of Gravity. Simples.
    Now I know it's 'cool' and 'hip' not to believe in ice cream but deep down I think you believe in ice cream and would really like some ice cream.
    I actually take a large amount of offence from this. I'm an atheist and yet I still have not told my own parents because of what I have heard from other atheists who told their families, and were disowned and do not speak to them. We don't choose to be atheists because it's ''hip'' or ''cool''. We do it because we have some ****ing common sense.

And no, deep down, I really don't need an imaginary friend who will make all my dreams come true if I wish hard enough.

So I'll leave you with this statement, I always finds works well: I don't believe in your God, for the same reasons you don't believe in Zeus, Apollo or Ra.

That's my rant over! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I am reminded of a quote by Bertrand Russell
    The problem with this world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Calibos wrote: »
    I am reminded of a quote by Bertrand Russell

Where did you find that quote? :pac: :pac:

Nice one lads, a map of the world with no atheists.

Was that an own goal ?

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Was that an own goal ?

You realise that comment is still stupid? It doesn't improve with repetition.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Was that an own goal ?
    Clearly we all live in Antarctica.

Cheer up its only a comment.

I would never get emotionally attached to comments on forums as its a sign of being over codependence.

Dades wrote: »

Was that an own goal ?
    Clearly we all live in Antarctica.

LOL Come down and Join us its nice and warm down here :)

LOL Come down and Join us its nice and warm down here :)
    Uh, down where now? On the turtle?

No I'm hanging onto a sunfish I hope it knows where its going.

I seen a few pass hanging onto Parrotfish alright :)

They keep repeating themselves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Barr125

Dades wrote: »
    Uh, down where now? On the turtle?

No, think he means Hell, considering that's where we're all apparently going. Least it'll be warmer than where we are now.

• Advertisement

I seen a few pass hanging onto Parrotfish alright :)

They keep repeating themselves ;)
    I suspect even a fish can distinguish between the Arctic and the Antarctic.

Advertisement