Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NETFLIX...Your Verdict

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The america netflix is great but I wouldn't pay for the european one at all,not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

Thanks a million, just got it there!!!! It works on Xbox too.

and do you still get charged as if you were using the Ireland & Uk one? as in €6.99 a month??

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

has there been any content update with the irish one?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Is Arrested Development on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Yakult wrote: »
    Is Arrested Development on it?

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From AH.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have to say, I absolutely love the ongoing complaints from people that a streaming service costing €7 a month isn't worth it because it doesn't immediately have all the content available that the US service, which has been running for the best part of a decade and has built up its library over time, has to offer.

If Netflix as it is now doesn't get at least some sort of an audience, there's little chance they'll invest in securing more rights to more content. Personally I've been waiting ages for something like this to be available, and while the content is more limited than I'd like it still has plenty that I'm interested in watching - so they've got my money for the foreseeable future. If you don't feel the same way, you shouldn't subscribe - but don't be surprised if you never actually get the option to have streaming access to every film or tv show ever made for €7 a month. (It's kind of frustrating to see the lack of understanding of business demonstrated in some of these threads. No feckin' streaming service in the world is going to work without DRM of some sort, because the content providers won't licence it. Similarly, it takes time to secure the rights for a large content library, and the only way it'd be available at launch would be if it cost as much as a Sky subscription - which would defeat the point entirely.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Fysh wrote: »
    No feckin' streaming service in the world is going to work without DRM of some sort, because the content providers won't licence it. Similarly, it takes time to secure the rights for a large content library, and the only way it'd be available at launch would be if it cost as much as a Sky subscription - which would defeat the point entirely.)

Steve Jobs got the record labels to feck off with their lousy DRM and this crowd should do the same. Don't want my own computer going against me by 'hiding' information from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Is anybody else sickened by the amount of pro cannabis documentaries on the US netflix?

Thank God our children dont have to worry about this commie libtard propaganda.

Over-all, Isish Netflix not worth it, US netflix is well worth it in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

eth0 wrote: »
    Steve Jobs got the record labels to feck off with their lousy DRM and this crowd should do the same. Don't want my own computer going against me by 'hiding' information from me.

Youre genuinely comparing a relatively small on-demand streaming company to the complete worldwide juggernaut of apple and itunes? Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What has DRM got to do with Netflix?

:confused:

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What has DRM got to do with Netflix?

:confused:

The fact that netflix uses it

eth0 wrote: »
    The fact that netflix uses it
    OK, let me rephrase that.

Do people actually have issue with the fact that their viewing is limited to streaming and they can't download the movie for later viewing on multiple platforms?

I don't know how anybody could have any sort of DRM issues with Netlfix.

OK, let me rephrase that.

Do people actually have issue with the fact that their viewing is limited to streaming and they can't download the movie for later viewing on multiple platforms?

I don't know how anybody could have any sort of DRM issues with Netlfix.

Downloading and streaming are the same thing

I have a problem with the fact that they want to put something on my computer that makes it do things I don't want.

Downloading and streaming are the same thing but downloading for later viewing and streaming are clearly not.

So you have issues with them putting digital rights management software on your computer? Why exactly? The principle?

Downloading and streaming are the same thing but downloading for later viewing and streaming are clearly not.

So you have issues with them putting digital rights management software on your computer? Why exactly? The principle?

Thats right. One should have full control over their own computer and it shouldn't work against you on behalf of the industry or some other outsider. If you're using bandwidth to watch a thing now you should be able to keep the data for later use as well.

I'd sooner pay 7e a month for some rapidshare type service. Used to do this actually years ago but now I rarely watch filums

Fair enough, that's a fairly excessive view in my opinion.

I've downloaded plenty of movies in my day but I've been looking forward to the day where a legitimate delivery system meets my needs. Netlfix, while not perfect, is certainly a step in the right direction.

I've said it a few times already but Netflix is a great service at a great price. For 7 euro a month (11 if you include unblockus) you have access to an extensive catalogue which has something for every mood. Over the past month and a half I've found some great films and TV, some of which has never received a DVD or even VHS release over here. That you can watch many films such as The Double and Blackthorn on the US store months before they receive an Irish cinema or DVD release is an added bonus.

At the end of the day there are some people who will complain for the sake of it and look for any reason to cry. Let's be honest, if the service was free and Netflix paid you a euro for every film you watched there would still be idiots out there finding fault with the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

The best way to get the US content is to change the default primary & secondary DNS servers in your router to 208.122.23.22, 208.122.23.23 respectively.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement