Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NETFLIX...Your Verdict

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

:confused:

Have you even looked? There's a general Netflix discussion thread in the film forum with over 700 replies. If you had looked there first you'd already know how to access the US content.

Any chance you could link to a specific post that explains the whole US content thing MM please? Or PM me how maybe? It's a massive ass thread. Cheers man.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

strobe wrote: »
    Any chance you could link to a specific post that explains the whole US content thing MM please? Or PM me how maybe? It's a massive ass thread. Cheers man.

unblock-us.com

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Onesimus wrote: »
    Are you using PC/laptop when switching to us version? or are you using a games console?

I'm using a PS3,my son has the Xbox upstairs and watches movies as well.

Would be easy to connect a laptop up to tv though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

strobe wrote: »
    Well I found out through this thread actually. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Onesimus wrote: »
    Why would it be locked? I'm doing a poll looking for a wider audience of Ireland on this subject. I'm not going to get a good load of opinion from the tele section of boards where the cobwebs are probably plentiful at the minute with the amount of people that venture in there ( if any ) .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63135899&postcount=8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Omgz netflix chnged my l1fe, havnt et slpt or gne ot in daze lolz nd nw i dunt hve to b pirte anymre, yay! lolz luv ya netflix xxx

edt: elso mn now illeterate lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I think Netflix is great. But then again I was still on dialup up to 2 years ago so my opinion is probably a bit scewed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I was sceptical at first about signing up but have to say well worth the money, especially if you use unblockUS to watch the american content. Movie content isn't great on the service here, but US is decent enough TV series though are great u can watch all the 24's Arrested Development, The IT crowd loads of stuff you might have missed! Try it for a the months free trial you can cancel it if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Unblock-us + Netflix + Hulu = All the streaming TV and films you'll ever need

Unblock-us is a must, it only costs CAD$4.99 a month and you get access to Netflix's much better US catalogue and Hulu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I signed up for the free trial but have rarely used it since. I think they need to get a better selection of movies to keep people interested long term.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Watching Breaking Bad and Dexter on it and some documentaries. When they finish ill probably end my subscription, does they US version have season 3+ of Breaking Bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

just change your DNS to 128.122.23.22 and it will be streaming from US servers with a wider choice of stuff to watch. Youtube has video tootorials on how its done if you are not sure :) simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I neither like or dislike it. Some good stuff bad quality, too limited to get a monthly subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

6.99 euro a month working out at 84 euro a year nearly half of what you can pay for an Irish tv licence and you can view a larger selection of movies and tv shows when you want then what would be shown on all the Irish television channels combined in a year, sounds tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

crazyFeet wrote: »
    just change your DNS to 128.122.23.22 and it will be streaming from US servers with a wider choice of stuff to watch. Youtube has video tootorials on how its done if you are not sure :) simples
    Does this work on a ps3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Apparently I can get this free for a month on my playstation, but I hear its not worth the bother its all old stuff.

But it is the future, TV is going to radically change in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Netflix uses DRM.

DRM is evil so they can fcuk off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Irish range of stuff available is crap so "No thanks" to their current service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Bassfish wrote: »
    Does this work on a ps3?

I don't know about PS3 - it certainly works on xBox

Edit: Have a look at this - http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291530-setting-up-ps3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

6.99 euro a month working out at 84 euro a year nearly half of what you can pay for an Irish tv licence and you can view a larger selection of movies and tv shows when you want then what would be shown on all the Irish television channels combined in a year, sounds tempting.
    plus your unblock us subscription...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

smash wrote: »
    plus your unblock us subscription...

I have access to the US content without an unblock us subscription - just configure the DNS settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dvpower wrote: »
    I have access to the US content without an unblock us subscription - just configure the DNS settings.
    I tried that and it messed up me net connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Signed up last month and cancelled a day before my free trial was up, very very little choice on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jewson

I have it setup for the US version on my PS3. Great selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I have the US one on my ps3 an its worth every cent, all 20c a day. put it this way, for 7 quid a month you get unlimited access to an unreal amount of tv shows alone, the movies are just an added bonus for me, i have it open now and theres:

futurama
    king of the hill
    south park
    family guy
    american dad
    mad men
    its always sunny in philadelphia
    breaking bad
    prison break
    lost
    how i met your mother
    supernatural
    scrubs
    sons of anarchy
    battlestar galactica
    the walking dead
    every episode of every series of star trek
    every season of the x-files
    271 episodes of law and order
    bones
    friday night lights
    every episode of frasier
    every episode of 24
    weeds
    cheers
    firefly
    glee
    californication
    greys anatomy
    malcolm in the middle
    buffy
    lie to me
    the IT crowd

and thats just what its suggesting to me, i can search for more, its an awsome service, you will literally never be stuck for something to watch, only thing I dont like is the interface, wish it had a must watch list or something cos I keep finding stuff and forgetting about it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have the US selection and it's still a bit ****e. There is very, very little there that I actually want to watch. I found a lot of things that I decided to give a try but I've yet to find anything that I care about sticking with. The best bit is finding the extremely random stuff, like the Chinese remake of the Mel Gibson movie; What Women Want, or the Waiting For Dublin, a movie about the American WW2 pilot who crash lands in Ireland but has to shoot down one more German plane or he loses a bet to Al Capone's nephew so he enlists the roguish but charming locals and a lovely Irish Colleen to help him. Or the Discovery Channel reality show The Colony where 10 people go live in a pretend apocalypse and massively overreact to every crappily contrived challenge the producers set them. The best bit is when they talk about how alone and isolated they are when they are clearly surrounded by 2 or 3 sound and camera crews.

There are a few good things on there but not more than a couple of months viewing, tbh. I'm going to cancel my subscription for the end of the current month I'm on and maybe look for a way to switch over to Hulu Plus for a while, as their tv selection is a bit more up to date though their movie selection looks equally poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Should be a middle ground in the poll. Is it worth €6.99 per month? Probably. People spend more than that on a packet of cigarettes or 2 pints. Is it as good as I'd hoped? Probably not. I have changed my DNS on my PS3 and my Xbox to have the US content so the selection is better but I do feel that if they're going to put TV shows on there, they should have every season. I will keep it for a while then ditch it when I no longer have anything to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

krudler wrote: »
    I have the US one on my ps3 an its worth every cent, all 20c a day. put it this way, for 7 quid a month you get unlimited access to an unreal amount of tv shows alone, the movies are just an added bonus for me, i have it open now and theres:

How do you get the US version???

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jewson

44leto wrote: »

Just change the DNS settings on your PS3 to:

Primary DNS: 208.122.23.22
    Secondary DNS: 208.122.23.23

Video guide here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

jewson wrote: »
    44leto wrote: »

Just change the DNS settings on your PS3 to:

Primary DNS: 208.122.23.22
    Secondary DNS: 208.122.23.23
    E]
    Thanks a million, just got it there!!!! It works on Xbox too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement