Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Ireland rapper show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

That Irish tune above is alright. A few nice flows in there. Why aren't you harassing fm104 and other radio stations to give your tunes a spin? No matter how good your music is, nobody will buy it if they're not aware of it. I think it's just a problem of exposure.

I'd love to see an IHH scene take off. I used to watch the UK rap videos on Channel U (dunno what the station is called nowadays) and they were complete garbage. Bad production, cheap videos and couldn't understand half the lyrics. Yet this stuff was selling simply on the back of exposure. Dizzee Rascal is crap and should never have had a carreer but Channel U propelled him into pop culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

Cheers mate.Its hard to get most stations to play you. I have tried a good bit. I do admit i need to get on that hustle more. Its has over 80000 views online and has sold a bit on itunes and made my album sell a bit better on paypal.

Dizee's sucess was bit more than channel U. He won a mercury music prize and that.
    Channel U was like 50 quid to get your vid played or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Nugget man .
    I got me earphones on for that one blasted it out and to be honest with you redzers part was good , actually very good.
    Its a good song in all fairness .
    But with all due respect you have to admit there is alot of **** out there.
    Not even that its **** but its below professional rapper producer standard.
    Irish hip hop will not become a big thing , unless somebody from england or america or other big countries have reason to get into it it will be just a local thing . With each town having their local rapper that might sell 50 or so albums and get a few youtube hits.
    Like yer wan Elayne was rapping at a 21st the other night or some sort of do in the show . There was an old man with a big grey beard standing in the crowd of 7 people.
    Im not seeing nyone tht stands out that makes me say ah he has it. And thats the only type of person that may make a living off it. Someone who can attract crowds of a few hundred all around Ireland . And even that living would hardly be worth coming off the dole.
    Like honestly compare it to the english rappers . You may not like Dizzee Rascals style of music but look how exciting he makes it . Its entertainment . Youd wanna go see that. Hed sell tickets.
    If mary and michael were looking for something to do for the weekend and heard an up and coming Irish rapper was playing in isaac butts they arnt arsed .

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

Ah i know theres loads of ****e out there man. And to be honest i think it would take near a miracle for any irish rapper to get huge.
    But the people featured in the show all have some good music if ya check it. It just showed a bad side of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

i wish they would stop taking them selves so serious, someone make a party joint, or point me in the direction of one.
    im lower class, i cant get a job, the government are fukking us over, blah blah fukking blah.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Do a song about having gay sex , or about how rough gays have it. Itll blow up in the gay scene. If you look at all pop acts from kylie to cher lloyd they all play GAY in london . Get your **** played in the george , a dance track about a gay man on the dole with a sore hole ,,,,,,,,,,,,oops I started writing the song for you . Mammy Im a rapper.
    No but seriously a sympethetic dancy song about gay life in dublin. Youll get all sorts of press and playtime in the gay bars . Once the gays listen to it everyone does.
    But Im sure most rappers would find that a bit dodgey , what with the use of the faggit word every 5 mins and how serious they take themselves. Think about it though dude.
    Its called the pink pound, or euro depending on your country of residence.

Has everyone ran off to write the irish rap version of streets of philidelphia. I was expecting a backlash of **** you man . I joked a bit at the start but Honestly most musical movements start from when gays start listening to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nope every MJEX album had better lyrics and beats than everything on that show last night.

No, I'm sorry, they didn't.

I like Jay and The Expert, they are sound lads, they made good music, they were pioneers, fair ball to then but LD50 2.0 as a body of work is better than anything MJEX made, lyrically and production value wise.

And saying "Even the infomatics".

The infos are, by far, the most progressive musical act in Ireland at the minute, they beat just about every indie band hotpress could possible ank on about in the raw sessions (or whatever the **** it was called) and out of the best album by any Irish group in 2008 in "Kill or Create".

Seaneh wrote: »
    No, I'm sorry, they didn't.

I like Jay and The Expert, they are sound lads, they made good music, they were pioneers, fair ball to then but LD50 2.0 as a body of work is better than anything MJEX made, lyrically and production value wise.

And saying "Even the infomatics".

The infos are, by far, the most progressive musical act in Ireland at the minute, they beat just about every indie band hotpress could possible ank on about in the raw sessions (or whatever the **** it was called) and out of the best album by any Irish group in 2008 in "Kill or Create".
    Gotta hand it to the lad I checked out a couple of the infomatics songs and the production on it is miles ahead of anything Ive seen , they look like they spend money on it.
    Also their chorus sounds in tune. Maybe a producer did that for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

cloptrop wrote: »
    Gotta hand it to the lad I checked out a couple of the infomatics songs and the production on it is miles ahead of anything Ive seen , they look like they spend money on it.
    Also their chorus sounds in tune. Maybe a producer did that for them.

They produce everything themselves.
    They play every instrument themselves.
    They make all the music themselves.

• Advertisement

Can you put on a show like this nuggets?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65z3lYzo31c&feature=related
    The infomatics can sing too , really How come these werent in the documentary?
    There dancing was a bit **** though needs work but if I was signing someone Id sign them out of all the irish rappers Ive seen so far. they got product.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Has everyone ran off to write the irish rap version of streets of philidelphia. I was expecting a backlash of **** you man .

No, nobody took the bait. You do realise that you are admitting to wanting to stir up sh*t. No more of that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭godscop

smokedeels wrote: »
    The lad was joking. I'm the same age as him and play FIFA and Pro Evo with friends. We make tounge-in-boasts about our computer game prowess.

People play computer games, they talk about it, it's not a sign of being a waster.

I'm messing about with a song at the moment that mentions my exploits with FC. Koln on the playstation, write about what you know, yeah?

Well i cant wait to hear that masterpiece. A rap on your exploits playing as Fc. Koln on the playstation :cool: i imagine you will be on soccer am in a few weeks. Irelands new rap star.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    No, nobody took the bait. You do realise that you are admitting to wanting to stir up sh*t. No more of that please.

Thats not fair your quoting part of my post. Just because I ws expecting people to get annoyed did not mean I was just looking for a reaction.
    It was a good point and I stand over it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thats not fair your quoting part of my post. Just because I ws expecting people to get annoyed did not mean I was just looking for a reaction.
    It was a good point and I stand over it.

I am quoting the relevant part of your post as the second part is not relevant.

Is expecting people to get annoyed not looking for a reaction? :confused:

I am not questioning your opinion on how musical movements start, purposely looking for a reaction to your opinion is what I have the problem with, regardless of the content.

Please take this to PM if there is anything you want to discuss further.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Like having a name for your crew is a bit american . A crew is an american word nobody from Ireland should be part of a crew unless they are sailors.
    What about breakers and graff artists? They've existed in Ireland since the early 80's. What about a film crew or stage crew? Would they be a bit American? No wait they're not involved in hip hop, so they're not a bit American...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Like, like starting a sentence with like it so not American.

Like, what else would you call them? other then a crew?

Dramatik wrote: »
    Like, what else would you call them? other then a crew?

Like I dunno whatever, like it is american like. Groups were invented by americans way back like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Just to clear up something here Hip hop in Ireland is in no way young,Irish people have been doing it since the early 80s,and there have been times (like late 80s or the early 90s) when the 'scene' (hate that word) was way bigger,more prosperous and more vibrant than it is now - plus there wasn't half as much handbags or pretend beefs.

I don't think the scene being immature is as much of a problem as most of those involved in it being immature.

Also the comedy/gimmick aspect has always been a part of hip hop in this country - that is just a natural extension of the Irish character - who can say songs like "dole Q" don't have a heavy comic vibe?

For the record that "059" track from those carlow lads is one of the best tracks i've heard produced in this country for ages - i love it.

Hip hop is as much as about talking absolute rubbish over a beat as it is about delivering a message,one of the most famous rap tracks of all time "rappers delight" is the biggest collection of **** talking ever.I got into hip hop around 1985/86 and it wasn't because i felt disillusioned at the system,or repressed by the government it was because it made my head nod and it sounded 'coooool'

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    Also the comedy/gimmick aspect has always been a part of hip hop in this country - that is just a natural extension of the Irish character - who can say songs like "dole Q" don't have a heavy comic vibe?

Hip hop is as much as about talking absolute rubbish over a beat as it is about delivering a message,one of the most famous rap tracks of all time "rappers delight" is the biggest collection of **** talking ever.I got into hip hop around 1985/86 and it wasn't because i felt disillusioned at the system,or repressed by the government it was because it made my head nod and it sounded 'coooool'

There is a huge difference between Dole q / dirty c***s and the 059 lads now in fairness.

IHH now and earlier does have a lot of light hearted tracks along with the serious tracks that naturally come and go more at certain times depending on the people too.

The UK "scene" was around before the Irish one and it was only taken seriously not to long ago, so I think thats what is meant by IHH being young.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

There is a huge difference between Dole q / dirty c***s and the 059 lads now in fairness..

I think you missed the jist of my point Conor.I was replying to other posters who had said or implied the comedy/gimmick aspect had no place in hip hop in this country.Of course there is no comparing Dole Q and 059,but i like that 059 track alot,it's fun and bouncy and doesn't take itself too seriously and that is as hip hop as rapping about being held down by the man.
    The UK "scene" was around before the Irish one.

Not really,interest in Hip hop in the UK and Ireland was probably born in or around the same time but naturally the UK scene was always going to take off in a massive way that the Irish could never match - but like i said earlier it's not a competition though so it's all good.
    and it was only taken seriously not to long ago

Taken seriously by who? it's all relative isn't it? Besides do you really need some people from outside your scene to take you seriously to be complete as an artist?

People from the main stream music industry have never taken proper UK hip hop seriously,they have paid lip service to things like grime,Ragga etc but only treated them as passing trends,a fad that was dropped for the next cool thing.

I don't think many people believe it has no place, it does not deserve the main place or all the attention which it has and has had for years.

Of course it is all relative it goes without saying like "imo".

I also like the 059 lads they are funny, but them/rubberbandits and the likes have gotten all the attention and it is not as if they are better than everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭The Prodigy 2

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    what is the purpose of this thread?

<snip> ....No Insults.....Infracted... </snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My beef with the Carlow lads is they're just doing lowest common denominator comedy because it's popular.

1. They're doing it in an American accent. Carlow people should rap in a Carlow accent. It'd be a more interesting angle. If I wanted to hear people do comedy rap in an American accent I'd listen to Americans like Lonely Island who have more well developed ideas, writing chops, top level beats and video production values.

2. There were lads from Kerry called the 066 Crew who did the same thing a few years ago. Again, where's the originality? http://www.myspace.com/066crew

3. The Rubberbandits do comedy so well why would you want to step on their toes? They've bodied Irish comedy rap. Find another angle.

And what's this obsession with making money? Pretty much no Irish music regardless of genre makes money. And if they do it's usually by becoming a hit in the UK or abroad first. Irish radio is a closed shop. I wouldn't even worry about getting day time radio play. Republic of Loose were able to write really good pop RNB singles yet they still only got patchy support. Money does not imply musical success. Ireland has had a couple of really good hip hop albums/EPs most years for the last ten be they from Lethal Dialect, Melodica Deathship, SerOne, Infomatics, MJEX etc. That's a reasonable hit rate considering the small number of people involved in the genre. They got good reviews in Hotpress and the various newspapers. The broader audience of people who have an interest in Irish music know about them and think they're good.

Is everybody good? Of course not. Some people only have good songs, not cohesive albums. But that's the case across the UK and US as well. Nobody is picking tunes or albums at random from those countries and implying that "this countries output doesn't seem to be very good". It's like saying I listened to Markie Mark and he was **** so I'm just going to assume Kendrick Lamar is rapping about similar stuff and probably not very good.

The threads on here can be pretty bloody stupid from time to time. Many of the posts on this are making me hanker after the typical "who's better Biggie or 2Pac?" content that constitutes this forums bread and butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9E6lNsI22I
    Do a rap over that and get it played in the george , honestly make proceeds for aids awareness or something . If you want your name out there.

Like I dunno whatever, like it is american like. Groups were invented by americans way back like.
    What difference does the origin of the word make? In that case you should be posting in Irish because you're posting English, using English words and therefore trying to be English by your logic.

Dramatik wrote: »
    What difference does the origin of the word make? In that case you should be posting in Irish because you're posting English, using English words and therefore trying to be English by your logic.

Like using american speech patterns and american mannerisms is like ok, but it is a bit weird to do it like and then fob off IHH because they rap which is American in origin.

connor i think you arereading myaccent wrong, and draggingthe bejaysus out of a joke . That may have been mildlu amusing at the start but now your miling it a bit. <snip>insult removed </snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

lol a dog with a bone.

Advertisement