Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Ireland rapper show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Thats what I took from it. "biggie died at 24 tupac at 25 so he is up there with the greats" this is not a bang on quote but it was along them lines.

GOD TOOK HIM CAUSE HE WANTED HIM TO DO SONG WITH PAC AND BIGGIE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

watched a small bit on the rte player earlier and seen redzer talking about hating clampers, sounded intriguing, must watch in full.

cloptrop wrote: »
    Thats what I took from it. "biggie died at 24 tupac at 25 so he is up there with the greats" this is not a bang on quote but it was along them lines.

GOD TOOK HIM CAUSE HE WANTED HIM TO DO SONG WITH PAC AND BIGGIE
    hold up, wait, explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    hold up, wait, explain?

He is talking nonsense.

She below for further nonsense…

hold up, wait, explain?
    Maybe he isnt dead either, maybe him pac and biggie are in mexico laughing at everyone thinking they died. Sure wasnt there clues in all their albums. Like blow up like the world trade < they predicted september 11th>
    This had nothing to do with the world trade center blowing up before the song as well .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Maybe he isnt dead either, maybe him pac and biggie are in mexico laughing at everyone thinking they died. Sure wasnt there clues in all their albums. Like blow up like the world trade < they predicted september 11th>
    This had nothing to do with the world trade center blowing up before the song as well .

You are nothing short of a ****. Whatever you think about irish hip-hop, what gives you the right to take the piss out of lads showing admiration for one of their mates who died at a tragically young age?

Edit: just to be clear, the word that seems to have gotten edited out of my post is "cúnt"

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    You are nothing short of a ****. Whatever you think about irish hip-hop, what gives you the right to take the piss out of lads showing admiration for one of their mates who died at a tragically young age?

Edit: just to be clear, the word that seems to have gotten edited out of my post is "cúnt"
    `

Your right fall guy I went a bit overboard , I was slagging the lads making out the chap was biggie because he died young and lost the run of myself a little. I did however not recognise the fact he was a young lad that died before his time. For this I apologise to any offence caused.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You know there have been previous attacks on the World Trade Centre?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You know there have been previous attacks on the World Trade Centre?
    Yes I was refering to the conspiracy theorists that claim tupac and big are still alive or that they found out about the illuminati and were trying to warn us with their artwork , raps etc .

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Yes I was refering to the conspiracy theorists that claim tupac and big are still alive or that they found out about the illuminati and were trying to warn us with their artwork , raps etc .

This is the hip hop forum, boards.ie also has a conspiracy theory forum for that type of stuff.
    It has been debated and investigated here many times now and there is not much point in going down that road again......that is unless someone has some new evidence that is going to close the cases.:D

• Advertisement

It was meant as a joke , I apologised for it.
    Why does hip hop have to be so serious?

lol wait, someone's dead friend was compared to PAC and biggie, based off what?

People have no respect or cop on.

lol wait, someone's dead friend was compared to PAC and biggie, based off what?
    Based on the fact they all died young , this made him a hip hop legend just like them because apparantly that is the main tick you need on the checklist to be up there with the greats.

People have no respect or cop on.
    Conor you have to understand that I am in no way disrepecting this fella but comparing him with biggie was a bit silly .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

It's perfectly acceptable for Irish rock bands to sound like American bands. The idea of Irish lads playing like Unwound or The Jesus Lizard sits fine with their audiences.

Rap comes with all this stigma attached. An assumption that it's music for black Americans living in inner-cities. Which is completely false.

To me, an Irish rapper is no different to an American group like Clouddead, which featured a middle-class Jewish guy.

I don't think that programme served IHH well. It showcased the people as a novelty because they're Irish and rap.

I've no knowledge of the IHH scene but I think the sooner the novelty is discarded and the groups/individuals are judged simply on their product the better for them.

That said, as a hip-hop fan I thought the acts on the show were poor from a production and lyrical standpoint.

Based on the fact they all died young , this made him a hip hop legend just like them because apparantly that is the main tick you need on the checklist to be up there with the greats.
    Just watched 20 mins or so of it, embarrassing and boring, oh and pig ignorant.
    Those guys who said that are actually idiots.

smokedeels wrote: »
    It's perfectly acceptable for Irish rock bands to sound like American bands. The idea of Irish lads playing like Unwound or The Jesus Lizard sits fine with their audiences.

Rap comes with all this stigma attached. An assumption that it's music for black Americans living in inner-cities. Which is completely false.

To me, an Irish rapper is no different to an American group like Clouddead, which featured a middle-class Jewish guy.

I don't think that programme served IHH well. It showcased the people as a novelty because they're Irish and rap.

I've no knowledge of the IHH scene but I think the sooner the novelty is discarded and the groups/individuals are judged simply on their product the better for them.

That said, as a hip-hop fan I thought the acts on the show were poor from a production and lyrical standpoint.
    If people are relying on the guys in the show to help discard with the novelty it ain't happening, as their helping perpetuate the novelty.
    All this woe be me shyt is boring, its playing on stereo types, it's more novelty than the rubber bandits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

VagnerLove wrote: »
    was laughing when the blonde girl was rapping because of the head on the woman beside her. "that was lovely it was". jesus.

No disrespect to the old lady but i think she'd have the same head on her if it was Daniel o' Donnell or Elvis singing beside her-she had no interest in being there or being on camera if you look at the unedited version of that scene on youtube you will see that,or at least that is the vibe i got from her - the expression a cow looking at thunder comes to mind.

Yeah I find the fact that they take it so seriously to be the silliest part of Irish hiphop.
    I think that is the reason the likes of the rubberbandits and next them lads from Carlow do so well.
    Its music enjoy it . Dont get caught up in your message. Honestly nobody really cares about siyos philosophy on life in his bedroom or miselaynewhateveryou call hers idea on what it is to be poor.
    Theres lads in Africa that dont have a poxy sup of water it kinda pales in signifigance to your mate going on the gear or your refusal to get a job because you want to make it as a rapper.
    These lads need to realise that .
    Life isnt all doom and gloom .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

I agree. Hip hop is a subculture which has been reinterpreted to local contexts across the globe for some time now and I reckon the only people who still believe the above have had limited exposure to hip hop music.

To me, its like any other hip hop, although if its decent, its potentially more relevant to my life than similarly decent hip hop from the states or the UK. And i would say an irish rapper from ballymun has much more in common with an american rapper from brownsville than they do with clouddead, ethnicity is irrelevant.

I reckon this has been a stage that any country after the US has gone through as the hip hop scene has developed. This year is the first I can remember where an irish hip hop album has started to pick up attention beyond the hip hop scene as a non-piss take.
    That said, as a hip-hop fan I thought the acts on the show were poor from a production and lyrical standpoint

To be honest cant hold anything against the people featured but the output from working class records, both lyrically and production wise, is the only irish stuff standing out at the moment.

Whats the biggest selling Irish hip hop album?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

smokedeels wrote: »

I'd agree with all of this.

Also where are all the good irish hip hop acts?

Messiah J and the Expert, Lecs, Mav Sabre, even the infomatics are better than everything on that show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Camac Hibs wrote: »

This year is the first I can remember where an irish hip hop album has started to pick up attention beyond the hip hop scene as a non-piss take.

To be honest cant hold anything against the people featured but the output from working class records, both lyrically and production wise, is the only irish stuff standing out at the moment.

Nope every MJEX album had better lyrics and beats than everything on that show last night. I'm not saying every song was brilliant but i can remember decent irish hip hop albums before 2012.

Also i don't get your last paragraph at all. If you think that some of that is standing out, i give up.

You liked MJEX work?

You liked it because you gave it a chance, you did not hear out of context snippets in a silly documentary on RTÉ.

Give some of the acts a listen and like all music you will find some great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

lordgoat wrote: »
    I'd agree with all of this.

Also where are all the good irish hip hop acts?

Messiah J and the Expert, Lecs, Mav Sabre, even the infomatics are better than everything on that show.

Doesn't seem to be anything Irish about that fella's style but would have been interesting to see him interviewed.

I watched the show last night knowing full well it'd be cringeworthy in parts and a bit exploitative. I like how the lads involved don't comprimise their identity and a fully aware of how they're seen but carry on anyway. There's some real talent out there but unfortunately they're just met with the whole "oh you think you're black" lark which is just ignorant and a bit bizarre. I also thought it was a shame that RTE portrayed the lads as losers and sponges rather than focusing on the work they put into songwriting, videos, organising events etc. Afterall it was supposed to be about the music not a prime time expose on lads on the scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Years ago people completely wrote it off.

People were saying it was terrible and no other rappers would respect it. Then several people collaborated with the likes of c rayz, bleek, slaine, wordsworth and lupe.

It is growing not fading.
    The same was said about UK hip hop. Irish hip hop is just very young atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Camac Hibs

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nope every MJEX album had better lyrics and beats than everything on that show last night. I'm not saying every song was brilliant but i can remember decent irish hip hop albums before 2012.

Also i don't get your last paragraph at all. If you think that some of that is standing out, i give up.

Have you listened to Lethal Dialect's recent album?

Fair enough if you have, if you havent you really should you might be surprised. I think its the best irish hip hop album since Infomatics Kill or Create.

Not a fan of MJEX at all, a few decent beats but not my cup of tea. Lecs the same. I cant understand why anyone feels the need to put on a foreign accent when they rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

When Lunitic was compared to Biggie or Tupac I think they really meant he's the Irish equivalent. Like saying Mic Christopher is our Kurt Cobain. For what it's worth I think comparing him to Pac isn't ridiculous either. He was technically more proficient and had an extremely emotionally raw delivery. Because he was close to death for much of his life due to ill health it lent his tracks about death a very real edge. Anyway, the lads involved were very close to the thing so can't blame them for bigging him up. I don't think it's ridiculous anyway.

Don't agree with cloptrop that everything needs to be comedy. If anything we need less of that kind of thing. The guys from Carlow are super lame. It's just like bad Lonely Island. I like the Bandits but even they have come to realise that rap parody is a limited thing so they're doing new jack swing, RNB and rock songs as well.

Most of the Irish rappers of the last decade have been littering every tune they do with comedy punchlines and ironic ****. It was kind of like an appology to say "I know you're going to hate me because I'm an Irish rapper so I hope you laugh a bit and I manage to bring you onside". The likes of MJEX, Infomatics and Lethal Dialect take things a bit more seriously and I think they get a bit more credibility as a result. I think Irish rap is growing out of the comedy ****, precisely because the Rubberbandits did it so well nobody else is really going to top them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DHennessy

im surprised no one has mentioned rob kelly either, his records are getting played on bbc radio all the time. hes probably the only irish rapper that is known outside of this country.
    also i dont know why people make such a big deal about the accents, like was said before it doesnt matter in other genres of music so why should it in rap?
    the irish accent does not suit rap music in general but if people want to use it fine but if others want to tone it down a bit and go a different route that should be fine too, if their lyrics and flow is good and overall the song sounds good it shouldnt matter what accent they have.

Advertisement