Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Go on the Lions! The Currie cup win gives us hope but I'm not expecting anything big (big for the Lions being mid-table)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

chupacabra wrote: »
    This year will be the Sharks year. I can feel it in my bones.

Bismarck starting every week will be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I think the Highlanders have an outside chance in the NZ conference this season. That is said more with the heart then the head.

Some good sites for info are:

http://www.superxv.com/
    http://www.planetrugby.com/

The Super 15 Rugby Draw and Fixtures for 2012

http://www.superxv.com/fixtures/

Betting for round 1 and overall winners here:

http://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/club-rugby/super-15

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Growing up in Manawatu, I'm obliged to support the Hurricanes... but back then Andrew Mehrtens was my rugby idol so I'll always cheer for the Crusaders too.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Leinster7

Always wondered what a Crusader/Hurricane Vs Leinster/Munster game would be like. I'm not going to start a debate on this as no one really knows in more recent years, but I always thought that the S15 teams get into their stride much quicker and you see great rugby by week 2 or 3 while it could be half way though the season before you see Rabo12/HC teams gelling.

It would look like NZ vs Ireland pretty much. SH team keeping the ball in hand and playing heads up off-loading game (like Leinster) but Ireland, certainly under current conservative management playing in fear and punting it to their back 3 and defending 70% of the time and losing. All in all a good game to watch if your a kiwi.

Leinster vs Crusaders/Reds however.....that I'd like to see. There should be a winner of the Heineken vs winner of the S15 imo.

These would've been the matchups of recent years:

1996 - Blues vs. Toulouse
    1997 - Blues vs. Brive
    1998 - Crusaders vs. Bath
    1999 - Crusaders vs. Ulster
    2000 - Crusaders vs. Northampton Saints
    2001 - Brumbies vs. Leicester Tigers
    2002 - Crusaders vs. Leicester Tigers
    2003 - Blues vs. Toulouse
    2004 - Brumbies vs. London Wasps
    2005 - Crusaders vs. Toulouse
    2006 - Crusaders vs. Munster
    2007 - Bulls vs. London Wasps
    2008 - Crusaders vs. Munster
    2009 - Bulls vs. Leinster
    2010 - Bulls vs. Toulouse
    2011 - Reds vs. Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Looking at those match ups, the one or two that stand out for me as potential wins for the NH are the 2003, 2004 and 2011 games and that's in large part because of the opposition. Those were absolutely brilliant Toulouse and Wasps sides. Wasps are often overlooked but they were backboned by some absolutely class players. Lewsey, Dallaglio, Howley, Worsley, Shaw. They were such a well drilled side that put their bodies on the line more than any side I recall. That final in 2004 was the only final that can sit alongside last year's in my memory in terms of quality. The Stade Leicester final was a great game but ended up being a kicking dual more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Waratahs beat Tonga 52-0 in a warm up. Interesting that second half had 3
    20 minute periods.
    http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=33870

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Looks like the old boards fantasy league is still up if anyone wants to join. Not sure how it works now that handsomecake seems to be gone.

http://superrugbyfantasy.foxsports.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Looks like the old boards fantasy league is still up if anyone wants to join. Not sure how it works now that handsomecake seems to be gone.

http://superrugbyfantasy.foxsports.com.au/
    Southern hemispherers are playing so I'd guess he'll be back soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Southern hemispherers are playing so I'd guess he'll be back soon

True. He's probably hibernating for these cold, northern winters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Leinster7 wrote: »

These would've been the matchups of recent years:

2001 - Brumbies vs. Leicester Tigers
    2003 - Blues vs. Toulouse
    2005 - Crusaders vs. Toulouse
    2008 - Crusaders vs. Munster
    2010 - Bulls vs. Toulouse
    2011 - Reds vs. Leinster

I'd go back in time to see those games if I could. That Brumbies team with Gregan and Larkham was just quality, and Leicester were such a dogged team back then.

I'll be shouting for the Rebels and the Highlanders I think. The Force and the Hurricanes are really going to struggle without their star players.

There was a channel on youtube which showed 10 min highlights of most of the games, I hope that will be operational this year.

By the way, the Crusaders backline of Dagg, Maitland, Frueun, Crotty, Guildford, Carter and Ellis is almost arousing. Insane talent there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Chiefs is looking pretty good too

Leonard, Cruden, Mesaga, Sonny Bill, Kahui, Declan O'Donnell, Robbie Robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Flincher wrote: »
    By the way, the Crusaders backline of Dagg, Maitland, Frueun, Crotty, Guildford, Carter and Ellis is almost arousing. Insane talent there.

Maitland isn't that great of a footballer from what I've seen, Guildford hasn't decided if he still wants to drink his career away or not and Frueun is pretty hyped up for a player that hasn't delivered a huge amount yet. Ellis isn't a standout scrum half either.

Morf wrote: »
    Maitland isn't that great of a footballer from what I've seen, Guildford hasn't decided if he still wants to drink his career away or not and Frueun is pretty hyped up for a player that hasn't delivered a huge amount yet. Ellis isn't a standout scrum half either.

Maitland isn't a great footballer, but he's a great finisher. His work off Dagg and Frueun was class last year. He's seriously quick and exactly what they need on the wing.

No disputing Guildford's class, aside from his issues in keeping the bottlecap screwed on.

I think you're harsh on Frueun. He has an excellent 12 in Crotty inside him, and he has the power and pace to exploit any hint of a gap. He worked well with Sonny Bill, and if he does the same with Crotty this year I reckon he'll compete with Conrad Smith for the 13 jersey.

Ya Ellis isn't great, but he's competent at that level. Scored one of the coolest tries ever

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Anyone know how this new white card system they're trialling will work? Apparently it's when the ref suspects foul play but can't identify the culprit. He holds up a white card and the citing commissioner will look at it.

Will it mean that punishment will be handed down during the game itself? Or afterwards like the usual citing commissioner system? If afterwards, what's the point of having a white card?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Because it draws attention to it straight away and it will definately be looked at after the game!

Punishment will be after the game, hardly expect the citing commissioner to be ringing someone in the middle of a game to hand down the punishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

But that happens anyway with the referee's report doesn't it? He can draw the citing commissioner's attention to something after the game can't he?

Why the need to notify everyone during a game? He can talk to the captains so it's not to inform the players, he can inform the citing commissioner after the match, which logically means that it's only to inform the crowd. What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well instead of a split second decision from the ref who may be unsure it allows for more clarity, shows he has acknowledged there was some form of an incident and it will be looked at just couldn't act on it there and then! Also could lead to more severe bans if the incident was dangerous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Morf wrote: »

You obviously haven't watched much Super 15 then, Ellis aside, the others you mention are some of the classiest players in New Zealand at the moment. You forgot to mention Dan Carter - rubbish as well I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

You obviously haven't watched much Super 15 then, Ellis aside, the others you mention are some of the classiest players in New Zealand at the moment. You forgot to mention Dan Carter - rubbish as well I suppose?

Worst of a bad bunch.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If I remember right Guildford and Maitland had a bit of a stinker in last season's final against the Reds. They may not be in the Tommy Bowe type of player but they have pace to burn. Fruean still has a bit to learn but looks very promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭skydish79

Looking at the Brumbies v Force

Brumbies having lost Giteau, Chisholm, Ashley-Cooper, Chapman, Salvi, Ma'afu, Elsom
    Jake white new coach

Force have lost O'Connor who was kicking machine

Fancy the force to win this one

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

skydish79 wrote: »
    Looking at the Brumbies v Force

Brumbies having lost Giteau, Chisholm, Ashley-Cooper, Chapman, Salvi, Ma'afu, Elsom
    Jake white new coach

Force have lost O'Connor who was kicking machine

Fancy the force to win this one
    Force lost Smith as well, don't know where either team are planning to get points from.

0-0 draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭skydish79

chupacabra wrote: »
    This year will be the Sharks year. I can feel it in my bones.

The Sharks

1. Dale Chadwick
    2. Bismarck du Plessis
    3. Jannie du Plessis
    4. Steven Sykes
    5. Anton Bresler
    6. Keegan Daniel (Captain)
    7. Marcell Coetzee
    8. Ryan Kankowski
    9. Frederic Michalak
    10. Patrick Lambie
    11. Lwazi Mvovo
    12. Tim Whitehead
    13. JP Pietersen
    14. Louis Ludik
    15. Riaan Viljoen

Replacements
    16. Craig Burden
    17. Wiehahn Herbst
    18. Ross Skeate
    19. Jacques Botes
    20. Charl McLeod
    21. Meyer Bosman
    22. Paul Jordaan

How do you reckong pietersen will go in the centre?

Fancy sharks to come out with a win

Bulls: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 Johann Sadie, 12 Francois Venter, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies (capt), 7 Jaques Potgieter, 6 Deon Stegmann, 5 Juandre Kruger, 4 Flip van der Merwe, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Dean Greyling.

Replacements: 16 Willie Wepener, 17 Frik Kirsten, 18 Wilhelm Steenkamp, 19 CJ Stander, 20 Jano Vermaak, 21 Louis Fouche, 22 JJ Engelbrecht.

That's the lineup for Bulls' first game. They have lost so many experienced players: Steenkamp, Matfield, Bakkies, du Preez all gone.

It was almost unfair for O'Connor to have to play with that Force backline every week. He was miles ahead of anybody else there.

By the way, next Aussie 9 is Justin Tuner from the Force. He missed all of last season with a knee injury, but he has got a lightening pass and is very quick around the park. He made a few appearances in 2010.

All I could find of him on youtube was his pass to Hill for a winning drop goal against the Stormers. It was his debut as far as I remember. Right at the end of this clip

Bulls: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 Johann Sadie, 12 Francois Venter, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies (capt), 7 Jaques Potgieter, 6 Deon Stegmann, 5 Juandre Kruger, 4 Flip van der Merwe, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Dean Greyling.

Replacements: 16 Willie Wepener, 17 Frik Kirsten, 18 Wilhelm Steenkamp, 19 CJ Stander, 20 Jano Vermaak, 21 Louis Fouche, 22 JJ Engelbrecht.

That's the lineup for Bulls' first game. They have lost so many experienced players: Steenkamp, Matfield, Bakkies, du Preez all gone.

They've replaced them relatively well I think. Kruger is an excellent second row. Hougaard at 9 isn't the worst in the world, and Sadie played well in hsi few games for the Stormers - he's probably better than Pretorious who would have been there. Himself and Olivier will made a decent partnership.

They should have held on to van den Heever if that was a possibility, he's better than Ndungane anyway.

Sadie is very good alright, WP fans were not happy he was let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Flincher wrote: »
    Hougaard at 9 isn't the worst in the world,

Not at all. In fact he'd be one of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Sadie is very good alright, WP fans were not happy he was let go.

Not happy at all but he was out of contract and looking at the Bulls centres and the Stormers pairings (3 current Boks) he knew he would get much more game time in Pretoria.

He will be a class act imho, shame the Stormers couldn't hang on to him.

Advertisement