Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Clerical Positions in the Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Any word on interviews/ offers for Louth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

...or Westmeath ??

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Hi

I have an interview coming up this week...

Is there any website I can check to see how many vacancies for each area?

Also is there a good chance I will get the job when I have an interview?

(Im in college doing Business at the moment so I think I have the relevant knowledge to do the job efficiently)

Thanks in advance........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Hi

I have an interview coming up this week...

Is there any website I can check to see how many vacancies for each area?

Also is there a good chance I will get the job when I have an interview?

(Im in college doing Business at the moment so I think I have the relevant knowledge to do the job efficiently)

Thanks in advance........

No, theres no way to know how many jobs there are. It just depends on what arrives throughout the year.

Theres no guarantee you'll get a job as you'll be placed on a panel and it then depends on how many jobs come up. I'm still on my contract from the 2011 panel I am finished my contract in June. I have already had my interview for the 2012 panel but I cant be considered for an offer until my current contract has expired.

Best of luck to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Flunch

Anyone else in top group for Dublin not had an interview yet?

Beginning to think theres no hope now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 laurawi2

Has anyone in dublin got a job yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rackool

Am I mad to leave a full time job I dont really like for this position if I get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Rackool wrote: »
    Am I mad to leave a full time job I dont really like for this position if I get it?

It depends, is your current job permanent, are you just looking for work for the summer? You would be leaving for a temporary role. When you contract is over it might get extended if not you will be out of a job. You might only get a 3 month contract and never be called again.

I done it a few years back and got a 3 month and then a 6 month one a few months later but some of my friends only got a single 3 month contract. You will never get a permanent job out of this at most 1 year of work and then you will have to reapply again for TCO or wait for a permanent staff recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I left a permanent job (I hated) for my current job (in the civil service). I was told it would be a 2 year contract though. My 2 years is up this August but they are extending it to December and I am really hoping they extend it again.

I wouldn't leave a job for less than a 1 year contract though. You won't get noticed that much for a 3 or 6 month contract. Where as if you are there a year and you have done a good job, they might extend it.

Monife wrote: »

I left a permanent job (I hated) for my current job (in the civil service). I was told it would be a 2 year contract though. My 2 years is up this August but they are extending it to December and I am really hoping they extend it again.

I wouldn't leave a job for less than a 1 year contract though. You won't get noticed that much for a 3 or 6 month contract. Where as if you are there a year and you have done a good job, they might extend it.

What are the day to fat duties of this job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

Takes about three weeks to get really fat, depending on how much you push the ten am fry.

I think i ended up with four sausages, 4 rashers, 3 eggs, 2 hashbrowns, beans and toast.

For less than four euro.

Is breá liom an stát sheirbhís.

Every job is different in the Civil Service, depending on what department you are in and there are no vacancies in the department I am in, nor will there be for a couple of years so there would be no point in telling you what I do.

I can tell you that the majority of the TCO positions will probably be for Social Welfare, the new Shared Services scheme that is starting up, the new department in charge of the Household Tax and possibly Revenue or the passport offices. Of course there may be a few vacancies in a range of other departments but I would say the above mentioned ones would be the main ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bagel2010

Hi did interview Friday got email to say i was successful and they would be in touch if a position became available for Tipperary region

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Same here! I'm in Kerry region, I got an email too saying I reached the qualifying standard, hopefully we won't be waiting too long for a call :-)

Paudee wrote: »

Takes about three weeks to get really fat, depending on how much you push the ten am fry.

I think i ended up with four sausages, 4 rashers, 3 eggs, 2 hashbrowns, beans and toast.

For less than four euro.

Is breá liom an stát sheirbhís.
    Funny

Had an interview Friday for cork region,heard nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EOB32

Top group in Cork, still haven't heard anything... Would it not make sense to place everybody on a reserve list if you aren't guaranteed a job/interview for being in the top group! Just gotta keep waiting in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

I got an email to say I was successful at the interview and that Id be called if a position became available? ... im in the tipperary region.. Are positions available for everyone? :) Or just a few that get picked off the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Belkin1975

Got a call today for 6 month contract in Donegal region starting next Monday:). If you sign the contract can you get out of it after a few months? I'm not going to make any money out of this job after paying out childcare/travel but I thought it would look good on my cv. I am qualified as an SNA and there is a permanent job coming up in September but interviews will not be for a few weeks. So I'm not sure whether to sign the contract.:confused:

Belkin1975 wrote: »
    Got a call today for 6 month contract in Donegal region starting next Monday:). If you sign the contract can you get out of it after a few months? I'm not going to make any money out of this job after paying out childcare/travel but I thought it would look good on my cv. I am qualified as an SNA and there is a permanent job coming up in September but interviews will not be for a few weeks. So I'm not sure whether to sign the contract.:confused:

I think you can get out of it by giving one weeks notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭trinib

Did anybody get any word on Wexford yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bumblebee1

Well done on the contract! Did they say what dept. you would be working in? Last year, I had to leave three weeks early as received another long(er) term offer, it was no problem, but I'm worried that it may affect my chances of getting a contract this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Belkin1975

bumblebee1 wrote: »
    Well done on the contract! Did they say what dept. you would be working in? Last year, I had to leave three weeks early as received another long(er) term offer, it was no problem, but I'm worried that it may affect my chances of getting a contract this year!

No word of a dept. I'm getting the contract today and have to take it in on Monday when I start, so maybe it will be on that. Did you have to give much notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bumblebee1

No word of a dept. I'm getting the contract today and have to take it in on Monday when I start, so maybe it will be on that. Did you have to give much notice?

Well, the way the offer was I could only give one weeks notice. I was told that this year, it will more than likely be the social welfare offices in the Donegal region.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you sign the contract can you get out of it after a few months?... So I'm not sure whether to sign the contract.:confused:

Of course you can: it's a job like any other, you can resign with the required notice period any time you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

trinib wrote: »
    Did anybody get any word on Wexford yet?

Yeah I had my interview the start of May

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Red_Star

I got in the top group for Cork but haven't heard anything either EOB32 :(
    Rackool did you get an email or a phone call inviting you for the interview?
    Could I ask what they asked you in the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 laurawi2

i had my interview 2 months ago for the Dublin region and told i was successful at interview - but haven't heard anything since :( is there any chance i could still get a job for the summer or is it looking unlikely? this is my first year applying..do they usually find jobs for everyone who was successful at interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

laurawi2 wrote: »
    i had my interview 2 months ago for the Dublin region and told i was successful at interview - but haven't heard anything since :( is there any chance i could still get a job for the summer or is it looking unlikely? this is my first year applying..do they usually find jobs for everyone who was successful at interview?

Unfortunately - and annoyingly - the answer is 'no' - they don't always employ everyone who was successful at interview. Someone in our family was successful a couple of years ago, but never got called.

However someone else in our family was offered a position last week - so hopefully you may hear soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stephen090

I've heard a lot of people say they give you little chance if you miss their original attempt at communication for a job offer? I.e They call you once on a private number and if you miss it you've essentially missed out and are sent to the bottom of the pecking order? Is this true?

I hope not as I was out of contact "roaming" abroad with no credit to answer calls for a week and bit there. I would hate to think I may have missed the boat if I did get a call..

Also, do they e-mail contract offers at all, no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement