Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AF Forum Mock Draft 2012 interest list

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Made my pick, I PM'ed OAOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Pick Whitney Mercilus for the San Diego Chargers. The teams big holes to fill were SS, OLB and G. With Mark Barron off the board there was no other safety worth the pick at no.18 so ruled that out that position. The O-line was terrible last year and with Pro-bowler Kris Dielman retiring it is an area needing attention but the stand ins last year improved game by game and as much as i like Cordy Glenn i don't think he's our best option.
    This left me with OLB and the 3 players to choose from were Courtney Upshaw, Nick Perry and Whitney Mercilus. Mercilus (what a cool name:D) was the one i picked, last year was his only proper year of production in College but he showed enough potential to seem like he can come in and get pressure on the passer straight away which is exactly what San Diego need. I think AJ Smith knows he has to achieve this year or he's fired and while Mercilus is the riskiest pick of the 3 imo i think he gambles on Mercilus' potential and hopes for the big reward, similar to Jason Pierre-Paul with the Giants 2 years ago.
    Mercilus will be a situational player this year but thats ok for the Chargers as they signed Jarret Johnson in FA who is excellent against the run

Edit: Pm'd Stev_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

OAOB wrote: »
    they signed Jarret Johnson in FA who is excellent against the run

He certainly is, excellent player and missed in Baltimore

I figured Antwan Barnes would be subbing in for Johnson, Barnes is good pass rusher but wouldn't be an all rounder like Johnson

mikemac1 wrote: »
    He certainly is, excellent player and missed in Baltimore

I figured Antwan Barnes would be subbing in for Johnson, Barnes is good pass rusher but wouldn't be an all rounder like Johnson

I'd actually have Barnes and Mercilus as our two main pass rushers on 3rd downs. Shaun Phillips is a good pass rusher too but he is a much better all round OLB so i think the other two would be better on third downs and this would benefit Phillips by getting him less snaps, he struggled with injury last year and is 31 this season

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Picked Kronz, best player still on the board and all the obvious choices were long gone. Bears need some O-Line help and Kronz is a franchise calibre centre.

Who is up next?

• Advertisement

Copying this again as it's getting lost back there

1 Colts Spongey1975
    2 Redskins neilster
    3 Vikings Morricone
    4 Browns DDC1990
    5 Buccaneers UnitedIrishman
    6 Rams adrian522
    7 Jaguars JaMarcus Hustle
    8 Dolphins HigginsJ
    9 Panthers KaiserGunner
    10 Bills deise_boi
    11 Chiefs JohnnyRyan99
    12 Seahawks FreeOscar
    13 Cardinals malachyscott
    14 Cowboys The Mollusc
    15 Eagles SK1979
    16 Jets barbarians
    17 Bengals Eli Manning
    18 Chargers OAOB
    19 Bears Stev_o
    20 Titans kryogen
    21 Bengals BigBadRob83
    22 Browns Heffo001
    23 Lions Trippie
    24 Steelers Silver-Tiger
    25 Broncos Xfire Elect
    26 Texans Blured
    27 Patriots RGIII
    28 Packers landsleaving
    29 Ravens mikemac1
    30 49ers Lionbacker
    31 Patriots kmart6
    32 Giants Bastardprince

Titans have been pm'ed

Titans GM is aware and working on their pick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Pick Whitney Mercilus for the San Diego Chargers. The teams big holes to fill were SS, OLB and G. With Mark Barron off the board there was no other safety worth the pick at no.18 so ruled that out that position. The O-line was terrible last year and with Pro-bowler Kris Dielman retiring it is an area needing attention but the stand ins last year improved game by game and as much as i like Cordy Glenn i don't think he's our best option.
    This left me with OLB and the 3 players to choose from were Courtney Upshaw, Nick Perry and Whitney Mercilus. Mercilus (what a cool name:D) was the one i picked, last year was his only proper year of production in College but he showed enough potential to seem like he can come in and get pressure on the passer straight away which is exactly what San Diego need. I think AJ Smith knows he has to achieve this year or he's fired and while Mercilus is the riskiest pick of the 3 imo i think he gambles on Mercilus' potential and hopes for the big reward, similar to Jason Pierre-Paul with the Giants 2 years ago.
    Mercilus will be a situational player this year but thats ok for the Chargers as they signed Jarret Johnson in FA who is excellent against the run

Edit: Pm'd Stev_o

Good pick. I can't see AJ picking an O linemen even though it is defo a need. Like you if we pick Mercilus he better not be that 1 year wonder Vernon Gholston head. I won't be surprised to see him pick a corner if his pass rusher is gone at 18.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Good pick. I can't see AJ picking an O linemen even though it is defo a need. Like you if we pick Mercilus he better not be that 1 year wonder Vernon Gholston head. I won't be surprised to see him pick a corner if his pass rusher is gone at 18.

Our secondary looked terrible last year and i'm not convinced by any of our CBs but i think a better pass rush should make them look better.
    If Mercilus wasn't there at no.18 i'd hope we go for Perry, he wants to be a 4-3 DE but John Pagano coached him at USC so he should know if he can translate into an OLB

Our secondary looked terrible last year and i'm not convinced by any of our CBs but i think a better pass rush should make them look better.
    If Mercilus wasn't there at no.18 i'd hope we go for Perry, he wants to be a 4-3 DE but John Pagano coached him at USC so he should know if he can translate into an OLB

I hear AJ was at the Irish pro day. Can only have been there to look at Harrison Smith. I can see us trading up ala Weddle to get him early second round.

For me it is;

1. pass rusher or O lineman or corner
    2. smith if we can get him

After that it is depth at O line, D line and the secondary that we need and maybe a RB in 5th or 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Any cowboys fans want to help me with their needs ? Really dont have the time for in depth research atm !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I think the Bengals would be pretty happy with those picks. I think as a 2nd pick in the first round Jenkins doesn't have the same pressure he has on him as he would as a first pick for a team. If I was a Bengal I'd tear you're hand off.

Then maybe pick up Cordy Glenn or James Brown if he falls that far in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Heffo001

Made my pick there at 22. Thought Tannehill was the obvious option at that stage although I think on draft day if he does start to fall they may have to trade up to ensure they get him. pm'ed Trippie

I hear AJ was at the Irish pro day. Can only have been there to look at Harrison Smith. I can see us trading up ala Weddle to get him early second round.

For me it is;

1. pass rusher or O lineman or corner
    2. smith if we can get him

After that it is depth at O line, D line and the secondary that we need and maybe a RB in 5th or 6th.

Yeah all the talk is that AJ loves Harrison Smith but i'd be a bit dubious about that, AJ never makes it too obvious who he wants. Personally i think Smith would be a brilliant pick but we'd definitely have to trade up in the second for him.

I think the O-line needs some depth and i'm not happy having Greene start at LG. The D-Line would be ok if we could resign Castillo or Harris to a cheap contract. I think RB depends on the teams opinion of Brinkley and also if they resign Hester, him and McClain would both provide emergency back up to Brinkley and Matthews.

Our secondary has me worried, neither of the corners drafted last year looked like starter material and Jammer lost a step. I'd love if we could get a TE to start grooming to take over from Gates but options are limited this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

made my pick there, wanted jenkins at cb and with him gone I presumed a G/LT would be best so hoping cordy glenn can use his naturaly size and strength to do well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

Trippie wrote: »
    made my pick there, wanted jenkins at cb and with him gone I presumed a G/LT would be best so hoping cordy glenn can use his naturaly size and strength to do well

Lions fan here Trippie and love the Glenn pick. There is no way in hell he gets past the Lions. Problem with the running game last year was Raoila getting rolly pollied into the back field, Backus going nowhere and Peterman, god Peterman being a horrible, horrible guard.

If Glenn comes in I can see him being an exceptional addition to the running game and I think he could become a All-Pro right tackle at some stage in the future.

The way he moves with 350lbs of meat is actually amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Yeah, I agree with Morricone that its the best pick with whats left on the board.
    Hoping that when when the real draft rolls around, 1 of the 4 top cb's will be there & the Lions fill a need rather than bpa.

I think the criticism of Peterman is rather harsh. Granted he not great at run blocking but he's very effective as a pass blocking guard although his position could be upgraded. Raoila does need to go very soon & I find that Cherilus is not up to it. One of the main reasons for most of Staffords sacks last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Any cowboys fans want to help me with their needs ? Really dont have the time for in depth research atm !

I'm a Cowboys fan!

Pm me if you want help :)

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree with Morricone that its the best pick with whats left on the board.
    Hoping that when when the real draft rolls around, 1 of the 4 top cb's will be there & the Lions fill a need rather than bpa.

I think the criticism of Peterman is rather harsh. Granted he not great at run blocking but he's very effective as a pass blocking guard although his position could be upgraded. Raoila does need to go very soon & I find that Cherilus is not up to it. One of the main reasons for most of Staffords sacks last season.

Yeah I think that the Lions front office will have a decision or two to make come draft day. If Cordy Glenn is on the boards I'd like to see him gone. There is no way in hell Gunther Cunningham is going to start a rookie cornerback so I'd be happy to get my CB in the 2nd round. I actually think safety is more of an issue but what we need there is experience so the draft ain't much use. I wanna see BPA to fill a need. Lions aren't gonna take a QB, TE, DT and ILB in the first round so the idea of Mayhew/Schwartz is BPA to fill a need.

Peterman, I may be a little severe, but jesus he's shocking as a run blocker and his pass protection ain't all that either. Raiola needs to go but he's still got another year in him and provides excellent leadership. I'd like to see Gosder as a guard for a while to see what he's like because as a RT he isn't up to snuff.

Morricone wrote: »
    Yeah I think that the Lions front office will have a decision or two to make come draft day. If Cordy Glenn is on the boards I'd like to see him gone. There is no way in hell Gunther Cunningham is going to start a rookie cornerback so I'd be happy to get my CB in the 2nd round. I actually think safety is more of an issue but what we need there is experience so the draft ain't much use. I wanna see BPA to fill a need. Lions aren't gonna take a QB, TE, DT and ILB in the first round so the idea of Mayhew/Schwartz is BPA to fill a need.

Peterman, I may be a little severe, but jesus he's shocking as a run blocker and his pass protection ain't all that either. Raiola needs to go but he's still got another year in him and provides excellent leadership. I'd like to see Gosder as a guard for a while to see what he's like because as a RT he isn't up to snuff.

Well the situation is so thin at the CB position its either the rookie (if drafted) or Aaron Berry. Smith is a complete & utter liability back there & the new lad Lacey doesn't come with a great reputation, playing fairly poorly with the Colts last season by all accounts.
    Berry may do for a while, but I wouldn't be confident with him there long term.

I was actually hoping to get Raiola's successor in the second round in either Phillip Blake or Ben Jones rather than get the CB there.

• Advertisement

Well the situation is so thin at the CB position its either the rookie (if drafted) or Aaron Berry. Smith is a complete & utter liability back there & the new lad Lacey doesn't come with a great reputation, playing fairly poorly with the Colts last season by all accounts.
    Berry may do for a while, but I wouldn't be confident with him there long term.

I was actually hoping to get Raiola's successor in the second round in either Phillip Blake or Ben Jones rather than get the CB there.

Smith is awful but I think Berry and Houston are starting calibre cornerbacks, partcularly Houston who has impressed, but so has Berry in my eyer after being a UFA. I'd take Glenn if he fell to 23 or Adams if he was there and then maybe trade up into the late first/early second for one of the 4 corners you mention.

That would be absolutely ideal whether it'll happen or not is debateable.

I think that if the safeties begin to produce then the cornerbacks will look way better, the front 4 should generate an absolute bucketload of pressure on the QB which means need your CB's to be decent, not spectacular.

Morricone wrote: »
    Smith is awful but I think Berry and Houston are starting calibre cornerbacks, partcularly Houston who has impressed, but so has Berry in my eyer after being a UFA. I'd take Glenn if he fell to 23 or Adams if he was there and then maybe trade up into the late first/early second for one of the 4 corners you mention.

That would be absolutely ideal whether it'll happen or not is debateable.

I think that if the safeties begin to produce then the cornerbacks will look way better, the front 4 should generate an absolute bucketload of pressure on the QB which means need your CB's to be decent, not spectacular.
    Yeah, generally agree with that.
    Obviously I'd have Houston starting, but was wondering who would start alongside him.

I'm not that high on Adams though. Would much prefer Glenn if I had to choose between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Surprised Kendal Wright isn't gone yet tbh

Yeah, generally agree with that.
    Obviously I'd have Houston starting, but was wondering who would start alongside him.

I'm not that high on Adams though. Would much prefer Glenn if I had to choose between them.

We'll have to start a Lions forum between the two of us. Yeah I think Glenn could season at guard for a while and then become an All Pro calibre Right Tackle after a season or two. Backus is still playing to a decent standard so I wouldn't worry about left tackle till next season or so. Maybe Centre with it.

At the combine Jim Schwartz spoke very highly of Berry;
    Lions coach Jim Schwartz brought up Berry’s name a couple times, unprompted, at the NFL combine last month, saying he “was playing at a really, really high level” when he injured his shoulder late in the year and that he took special note of Berry’s play during off-season film review.

“As a head coach, when you’re watching offense, defense and special teams, you’re dividing your 100 hours a week into three areas, you can’t watch every single thing,” Schwartz said. “But this time of year, you have time to really go back, and there might be a play that they threw on the front side that Aaron was covering on the back side that you didn’t notice how well he was covering the guy.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20120314/SPORTS01/120314011/Lions-cornerback-Eric-Wright-free-agency

Like we don't have that many needs, O-Line, CB and we could do with a few project players at outside linebacker and Defensive End. Otherwise we look pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

irish_man wrote: »
    Don't think the Eagles would draft Poe myself. They drafted your man Mike Mamula in 95 who was the last big combine warrior. He was crap enough and I don't think the Eagles will fall for the illusion that is the combine again. I think they will sort the left tackle problem in the free agency or even move the right tackle Todd Herremans to the left. Wouldnt be surprised is they went for someone a little off the wall ala alshon jeffery. They need an end zone target for Vick to hit.

Mamula wasn't crap. He had an ok career with the eagles, he didn't live up to his draft position but he's certainly no Vernon Gholston. He also wasn't just a workout warrior, he had a good college career. The thing with Mike was that he was pretty much the 1st player to train specifically for the combine and blew it away. In a draft featuring Sapp and Hugh Douglas it was a poor pick in retrospect. I always feel for Mike a bit, he gets this stuff brought up every year and tbh it's just lazy journalism by the likes of espn and cbs that keeps it going.

On the eagles pick here I don't see them going for Poe. In this situation they'll prob have taken Tannehill, Andy is always on the lookout for qbs and i think if he slipped to 8 they'd make the trade up to get him. If they did take a dt then Fletcher Cox would fit our system better, although who knows if Washburn would find Poe's freakish athletic ability too hard to turn down.

Browns were pm'ed this evening

Will look at this tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i thought this would be quicker, it looks unlikely I'm going to get my pick this weekend and I'm away for 10 days from Monday. Can I leave my pick with someone or what's the best way to do it?

Yeah all the talk is that AJ loves Harrison Smith but i'd be a bit dubious about that, AJ never makes it too obvious who he wants. Personally i think Smith would be a brilliant pick but we'd definitely have to trade up in the second for him.

I think the O-line needs some depth and i'm not happy having Greene start at LG. The D-Line would be ok if we could resign Castillo or Harris to a cheap contract. I think RB depends on the teams opinion of Brinkley and also if they resign Hester, him and McClain would both provide emergency back up to Brinkley and Matthews.

Our secondary has me worried, neither of the corners drafted last year looked like starter material and Jammer lost a step. I'd love if we could get a TE to start grooming to take over from Gates but options are limited this year

I reckon Green will surprise. I've been chatting with him via FB and he is wound up to prove the doubters wrong. There is talk of Mario Henderson (ex Raider tackle) coming in for depth. I'm not sure he is up to much though.

Castillo is back which is good news, goes to show how we overpaid for him in that he got no love in FA. I like Brinkley too and have not time for Hester. Frank Summers might be the man to back up McClain at FB.

I agree ref the DBs. There's been plenty of hype about Gilchrist but I've seen no evidence of his being able to start yet. As for Wright what a waste of a rookie year he seemed to have. Jammer is almost done imho, at corner. Wish he would try SS.

I reckon Green will surprise. I've been chatting with him via FB and he is wound up to prove the doubters wrong. There is talk of Mario Henderson (ex Raider tackle) coming in for depth. I'm not sure he is up to much though.

Castillo is back which is good news, goes to show how we overpaid for him in that he got no love in FA. I like Brinkley too and have not time for Hester. Frank Summers might be the man to back up McClain at FB.

I agree ref the DBs. There's been plenty of hype about Gilchrist but I've seen no evidence of his being able to start yet. As for Wright what a waste of a rookie year he seemed to have. Jammer is almost done imho, at corner. Wish he would try SS.

I think Castillo is a great resigning, its only a one year contract so he should be playing with a point to prove this year. Summers seems like he's in the teams plans but he'd better be good on special teams too because there's no place on the roster for someone who's only a back up FB, personally i'd rather go with Hester.

I think what i like most about this off season is that we're bringing in plenty of players and there should be lots of camp battles, roster places will be hard earned this year which hasn't been the case recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

i thought this would be quicker, it looks unlikely I'm going to get my pick this weekend and I'm away for 10 days from Monday. Can I leave my pick with someone or what's the best way to do it?

Yea if you let me know your choices and i'll post it up if your not around

Advertisement