Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Film and Television Awards - 11/02/12 @ 9:40pm

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

squonk wrote: »
    Brenda Fricker might probably get the lifetime achievment award next year. We do't have that many aging thespians really so I'd say her number will be up soon enough.

I doubt they'd offer it to her after what she said about the IFTA's and I doubt she'd accept it, even if she was offered it. I'm surpsrised that Brenda Fricker hasn't been given one of those lifetime achievement awards already. She's certainly a lot more higher profile than Fionnula Flanagan who always seemed to me to be nothing more than a bit-part actress anyway, with that annoying American twang thrown in for good measure. Fricker has been a great actress over the years, from Ballroom Of Romance, The Field, My Left Foot etc. I could understand if she was a bit p!ssed off that FF got one before her.

The problem with the IFTA's is that there aren't enough films and TV dramas made in this country to justify such a stupidly lavish event. The same films come up again and again in the various categories and while Love/Hate deserved all of its awards, the fact is that there was practically nothing else made by RTE in terms of drama over the past year, unless you count Raw :rolleyes:. They didn't even seem to try to include the token programmes from BBC Northern Ireland or UTV so this year's awards seemed about as cosy as you could get.

You could understand all that over the top lavish silliness with the Oscars, but as we Irish would say to those people attending the IFTA's in their fancy gowns and dress suits, "Tis far from that shyte you were reared". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,484 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Armand Assante was the only "big name international film actor" there, the last thing he was in that was decent was a episode of Chuck :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Will Jennifer Maguire be back next year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

So i missed the start of the iftas

What did Jennifer and "the boy" do so wrong?? Also, I thought Simon Delaney was presenting.....how many awards did "the boy and girl" present?

Ps. Fair play Brenda! She basically said what all of us were saying on this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

amdublin wrote: »
    So i missed the start of the iftas

What did Jennifer and "the boy" do so wrong?? Also, I thought Simon Delaney was presenting.....how many awards did "the boy and girl" present?

Ps. Fair play Brenda! She basically said what all of us were saying on this thread!

Jennifer and The Boy weren't on the Televised version, amd. We were spared the 'minor' awards.

The event must have gone on for hours, what they showed on TV took ages.

I am starting to think Brenda is a closet LLS/SNS poster, her rant was top class. Maybe she is one of us, except she is polishing her Oscar while she posts :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Skid wrote: »
    Jennifer and The Boy weren't on the Televised version, amd. We were spared the 'minor' awards.

The event must have gone on for hours, what they showed on TV took ages.

I am starting to think Brenda is a closet LLS/SNS poster, her rant was top class. Maybe she is one of us, except she is polishing her Oscar while she posts :P

Excellent Skid!

Oh jesus poor Brenda. It was sh1te at home watching it and thank god we had the saving of the thread :) Imagine sitting through it - no drink and no thread :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I have this childhood memory of Peter O'Toole accepting an award and making a really off the wall speech, it was so crazy that RTE stopped the live broadcast :eek: Does anyone else remember this? It must have happened over 25 years ago :o

I had a bit of a Google, does this sound like it?
    The last time there was anything subversive in Irish culture it was Peter O'Toole at RTE's ill-fated version of the Royal Variety Show. After a showband where the cameramen stayed in long shot on a singer wearing khaki trousers with a khaki coloured bass-drum behind him that made him look like he'd had an unfortunate accident on came Peter O'Toole to regale the cream of Irish society with a reading from Jonathan Swift's 'Modest Proposal'.

There was an audible gasp from the bow-tied and ballgowned Irish aristocracy when it became apparent they thought Peter O'Toole was seriously advocating eating the children of the poor to keep the numbers down. And then these educated geniuses who clearly new nothing at all of Jonathan Swift or his satire started to slow-handclap O'Toole.

He went on. And on. And on. And eventually RTE went suddenly to a commercial break. The next morning there was fierce givings out in the papers about the terrible things O'Toole had read out.

That was the day I realised that the great and the good in Dublin were as thick and uneducated and as unread as a gate post in Connemara.

Great man Peter O'Toole. Showed the Dublin gliterrati up for what they were ...

The whole event was funny because it showed that the great and the good had no idea that Swift's essay was satire. Admittedly I think O'Toole had one or two pints on board and showman that he was he decided to simply keep going- I suspect because he realised that the audience of the great and good didn't have a clue what they were hearing;)

Brilliant entertainment all round which is why the whole thing had to be stopped.

http://www.politicalworld.org/archive/index.php/t-5039.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I agree with all who said Brenda Fricker is a fab actress, I really like her in films.

I saw Fionuala Flanagan being interviewed by Daithi and Claire (?) on 4 live. THey asked her if she enjoyed awards, sshe said she delighted and honoured to win lifetime achievement, but that she left early as a terrible loud bad band got on stage after awards while people were chatting and played loudly and badly. She said they emptiied the room fast

Advertisement