Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Film and Television Awards - 11/02/12 @ 9:40pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mcgu

I'm starting to feel sorry for Charlie Casanova. It's been nominated for everything but it's won feck all.

Disgraceful really - recognised internationally - maybe because it shows full frontal male nudity and is a general kick in the teeth about everything thats happened this country in recent years. Not the type of film the IFB supported in the beginning - but rolled in behind it when it started getting noticed by the heavy-weights across the water. Charlie will some day (and already is getting) cult status.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭jos28

Aoife9 wrote: »
    Well that's that! what's on now?
    Graham Norton for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    No no no no no NO. Not gonna happen!

Ahhhh g'wan g'wan g'wan!! ya will ya will ya will!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ahhhh g'wan g'wan g'wan!! ya will ya will ya will!!:D:D

If I'm ever found on here commenting on and watching the LLS, you have permission to take me out and shoot me.

Good night!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    No no no no no NO. Not gonna happen!

Right. Right. Sure sure.

*seeya Friday :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

mcgu wrote: »
    - .....maybe because it shows full frontal male nudity.....

:eek: What??? My headache is easing already!! :D
    Goodnight one and all!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

Yep I'm off too see ya'll on Friday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I'm off to watch "Enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

SUPER ROVERS!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

(Judging by the tone of your post (and your "location"), you are obviously a (bitter) St Pats fan. :eek:

Super Saints!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Ah, I won't be around on Friday either. :(

See y'all somewhere down the line, anyway.

• Advertisement

Yep I'm off too see ya'll on Friday! :)

Does your husband not get jealous of the oul laptop??!!

I won't be round either. Noel Gallagher at the O2, alas. Therefore, no doubt, next weeks guests will consist of Samuel L Jackson, the real Harry Potter telling his story of how the films are dramatised bullcrap, the reincarnation of John Lennon singing Imagine and in the illness section, Elvis explains how rigor mortis does not neccessarily mean you're dead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

monkey9 wrote: »
    I won't be round either. Noel Gallagher at the O2,
    I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo envious, hope you enjoy the gig :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,919 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The amount of empty seats in the audience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Did any shows from TV3 pick up an award

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

^^^^^^^^^^^ For ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

What a load of self indulgent clap trap.

Why would anyone want an IFTA?

Is an IFTA a poor mans version of a golden globe?

It is something an RTE person can aspire to.

Switched over to Million pound drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭squonk

If I was BMW I'd ask for my sponsorship money back after that cringeworthy shot of the 5 series at the start. God I could have made as poor an effort myself (speaking as a complete amateur).

I share her view, it was a very dull event this year.

However, I wonder was Ms. Fricker a bit disappointed that Fionnuala Flanagan was given the Lifetime Achievement Award ahead of her?? Brenda is acting a long time and is one the few Irish actressess that has won a Oscar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I share her view, it was a very dull event this year.

However, I wonder was Ms. Fricker a bit disappointed that Fionnuala Flanagan was given the Lifetime Achievement Award ahead of her?? Brenda is acting a long time and is one the few Irish actressess that have won a Oscar.

I think if that was the case, Brenda would not have turned up on the night.

Maybe she expected to win the IFTA for Best Supporting Actress, seeing as Fionnuala Flanagan was already picking up the Lifetime Achievement Award.
    She had been nominated for an IFTA on the night -- in the category of actress in a supporting role film for 'Albert Nobbs' -- but lost out to fellow actress Fionnula Flanagan in 'The Guard'.

Also ...
    Ms Fricker told the Irish Independent that the presenting duo of 'Raw' actor Keith McErlean and 'Republic Of Telly' star Jennifer Maguire -- who gave out a number of industry awards -- were "disgraceful".

"The people who were presenting it were disgraceful," she said.

"Those young people got everything wrong. The boy couldn't remember to say who the nominees were -- he got it wrong every time.

It looked dull as dishwater watching the edited TV version, I would not have fancied sitting through the full thing. Not without a few drinks and this thread, anyway :) Brenda should join us next time, I don't think she will be getting that an IFTA nomination anytime soon after her rant :pac:

Skid wrote: »
    I think if that was the case, Brenda would not have turned up on the night.

Maybe she expected to win the IFTA for Best Supporting Actress, seeing as Fionnuala Flanagan was already picking up the Lifetime Achievement Award.

Yeah, I'd say if she hadn't been nominated for Albert Nobbs, she probably wouldn't have attended the ceremony at all.

However, I still think she probably felt hard done by over the Life Achievement Award. There is only four years between Flanagan and Fricker in age. Not winning the "Best Supporting Actress award would definitely have compounded things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yeah, I'd say if she hadn't been nominated for Albert Nobbs, she probably wouldn't have attended the ceremony at all.

However, I still think she probably felt hard done by over the Life Achievement Award. There is only four years between Flanagan and Fricker in age. Not winning the "Best Supporting Actress award would definitely have compounded things.

I doubt it..Just because the person that won the lifetime award is the same gender and of similar age doesn't automatically mean that Fricker was jealous.

Fricker has an Oscar, nothing can top that. I doubt she cared at all about an IFTA award.

Fricker can also be a bit outspoken at the best of times, so this rant doesn't surprise me!

I seen a few of minutes of the awards and she was dead right - it was cringey RTE rubbish.

I doubt it..Just because the person that won the lifetime award is the same gender and of similar age doesn't automatically mean that Fricker was jealous.

Fricker has an Oscar, nothing can top that. I doubt she cared at all about an IFTA award.

Fricker can also be a bit outspoken at the best of times, so this rant doesn't surprise me!

I seen a few of minutes of the awards and she was dead right - it was cringey RTE rubbish.

Ah, I wasn't trying to accuse Fricker of being jealous but I thought she may have been disappointed to be overlooked for the Lifetime Achievement Award this time around. I feel that Fricker was more deserving of the award to be honest, I thought she was brilliant in My Left Foot and The Field.

I completely agree that the show was rubbish this year and it wasn't much better the year before either. As for the Oscar, you're right, no award will ever top that! However, I think most actors/actresses like to be recognised by their native country at some point, do they not??

BTW, I'd say she will be waiting a long time for the Lifetime Achievement Award now ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ah, I wasn't trying to accuse Fricker of being jealous but I thought she may have been disappointed to be overlooked for the Lifetime Achievement Award this time around. I feel that Fricker was more deserving of the award to be honest, I thought she was brilliant in My Left Foot and The Field.

I completely agree that the show was rubbish this year and it was much better the year before either. As for the Oscar, you're right, no award will ever top that! However, I think most actors/actresses like to be recognised by her native country at some point, do they not??

BTW, I'd she will be waiting a long time for the Lifetime Achievement Award now ;):D

She's brilliant alright. Don't forget about Home Alone 2!

I know that some actors hate the lifetime achievement awards because they see it as an award given to someone at the end of their career. Peter O'Toole comes to mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

On the 2 occassions that Fionnuala Flanagan won awards, the television cameras went to Brenda Fricker, she was not looking too happy, but according to an earlier post it was because she was unhappy at the way the awards cermony in general were conducted. I had previously thought that something had happened between Fionnuala and Brenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

patwicklow wrote: »
    God id stir into her eyes all night long :D
    Even without that makeup?

0906_amy_ret_331923t.jpg

Nolanger wrote: »
    Even without that makeup?

0906_amy_ret_331923t.jpg
    To be fair to Amy, the photo on the left looks like it was taken when she was a teenager. I don't know about you but I've a few photos of my teenager years that I don't like looking at anymore.

I know that some actors hate the lifetime achievement awards because they see it as an award given to someone at the end of their career. Peter O'Toole comes to mind!
    I have this childhood memory of Peter O'Toole accepting an award and making a really off the wall speech, it was so crazy that RTE stopped the live broadcast :eek: Does anyone else remember this? It must have happened over 25 years ago :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭squonk

Brenda Fricker might probably get the lifetime achievment award next year. We do't have that many aging thespians really so I'd say her number will be up soon enough.

Advertisement