Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAME in serious trouble

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

It's incredibly sad (and somewhat pathetic) that some people are heralding the closure of GAME. If you don't like GAME, don't shop there, but please remember there may be people on boards who may be facing unemployment now or have lost money to the closure so comments of "good riddance" "they had it coming" etc are pretty stupid things to be saying. You wouldn't appreciate it if your company closed and idiots were celebrating it because they had some ridiculous gripe with a company because of prices you were never forced to pay.

The less competition there is in the market, the less the consumer benefits. People seem to keep going on about how HMV etc sell products cheaper, but now with less competition, there's no need for them to sell the products cheaper so in essence we, the consumer lose out here, even if we don't purchase in game. HMV etc now have less reason to undercut higher prices, so yeah its hardly great news that we're going to have to pay more for games now.

I hope the shop comes alive again as so many jobs will be lost from this.

I dont think people are celebrating the loss of jobs far from it. the celebrating the collapse of a company that has done some pretty crappy things to their customers and the gaming industry. It is of course very bad for competition especially in Ireland as those are less likely to be picked up buy a future buyer. but their history of actively pushing preowned games on people who want to buy new their attempts at price fixing Digital distribution (e.g steam games),the way they treated they're staff and the current fiasco of allowing games to be traded in last week when the senior managers(not shop managers) were closing meant that when they looked for a favour from the industry they were told where to go

Hopefully they find a competitive buyer and those jobs at risk can be saved but as a company with how they've treated the industry good riddance

HMV have been raising prices since before game went into trouble. some games in hmv were being sold at 47.99 and 50.99 since last summer because they're in trouble as well as sales are slowing

Game stores pricing wont fluctuate much they still have to compete with Online stores and DD. trade in prices will suffer no doubt as GS wont have strong competition

As I said i feel sorry for the staff and the consumers who lost money but as a retailer they're downfall was deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

Deano7788 wrote: »
    The store in Limerick is closed with a sign on the door saying, "This store is now closed. For further information please contact Game head office."

:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

So have people lost their jobs , or is it they've been sent home ? redundancy isnt always that fast to get sorted out.
    what i mean is they'll be doing a stock take over the next few days and then there's a big firesale ?

I worked the Cork branch when it opened first. Sad to see it go.Good times winding up Smyths toys telling them the Saturn had launched the week before it really did.
    Which nearly prompted their (over zealous) manager to REALLY break the release date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 LoganIn

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Oh wow, new reg doling out advice :rolleyes: Before you start judging people, I was going to get a PSVita from them. That's the same PS Vita that I could get way cheaper online.

And I even told staff on Friday that I was trading ME3 in with them so they could have a copy to sell on.

So take your :rolleyes: and move on.

ah yes, because my boards post count is low i have no clue, but you having many means you're more shrewd. yes thats how the real world works ;)

but ok i'll take my small post count,therefor small common sense and move on.

Achilles wrote: »
    I traded in 12 games in GAME Ilac centre and yer man even went out of his way to give me more than the games were worth. Didn't have ID on me at the time so I opted for store credit.

I was only in GAME in Blanch on Friday night mulling over what to spend the credit on but thought that I'd leave it to pay day... which is tomorrow.

Now they're all closed and I'm out nearly €100. I'm ****ing livid.

yeah im sure the staff that lost thier jobs are ecstatic
    I'm sure they didn't know. Sure my friend works in GAME and he didn't have a clue until this morning. I haven't heard from him since though.
    i was in the limerick store this morning and i know 5 of the guys working there from when i worked there, they knew diddly squat about this, they knew it would be decided today and thats it, then at 2pm they got an email to say close the stoe and go home
    horgan_p wrote: »
    So have people lost their jobs , or is it they've been sent home ? redundancy isnt always that fast to get sorted out.
    what i mean is they'll be doing a stock take over the next few days and then there's a big firesale ?

no theres no firesale, yes everybody LOST their jobs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

LoganIn wrote: »
    ah yes, because my boards post count is low i have no clue, but you having many means you're more shrewd. yes thats how the real world works ;)

but ok i'll take my small post count,therefor small common sense and move on.

You stated that anyone that traded in for credit with GAME in the last few weeks was greedy. That is untrue. If your future posts are equally uninformed and equally incorrect, then it's best you don't bother posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I honestly can't believe people got stung with GAME :rolleyes:

I'm not being a dick but its been known that they were going bust the last few weeks now. So why on earth would somone trade something for store credit? (obviously greed is at play here. trade in a few games, get store credit, go down when sale is on :rolleyes:) But what happens if they suddenly closed their doors? which they did.

I suppose greed rules out common sense.

If you were offered for example €100 by one store, and €80 by another store even if the first store was having financial difficulties but with the assumption they'd still be there after the weekend, you'd take the first option. It's not greed, its called taking the better offer. Nobody would have assumed they'd suddenly close their doors.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

You stated that anyone that traded in for credit with GAME in the last few weeks was greedy. That is untrue. If your future posts are equally uninformed and equally incorrect, then it's best you don't bother posting.

Greed was harsh but anyone trading in for credit was being a tad naïve I'm afraid, especially if they knew that GAME were in trouble. Credit and vouchers are always the first things which get stopped in these types of cases. It was exactly the same with Zavvi a couple of years ago.

caspa307 wrote: »
    yeah im sure the staff that lost thier jobs are ecstatic

i was in the limerick store this morning and i know 5 of the guys working there from when i worked there, they knew diddly squat about this, they knew it would be decided today and thats it, then at 2pm they got an email to say close the stoe and go home

ugh, as much as it pains me to say it, if they knew there was a good chance of them closing today and they told me it should be fine to put my trade in value on a gift card only 3 days ago, it's very VERY disappointing.

ah yes the 'i dont agee with you so i'll say you are uninformed, don't bother posting blah blah' spiel ;)

coming from a man who just said he traded in his copy of me3 so 'they could sell on' lol. like what you were doing them a favor? lol as they what gave you 20 euro for it? and for them wanting to sell it on for 45....

then they go bang. you lost your store credit. real shrewd man. question tho why didnt you get a vita there and then?

• Advertisement

ugh, as much as it pains me to say it, if they knew there was a good chance of them closing today and they told me it should be fine to put my trade in value on a gift card only 3 days ago, it's very VERY disappointing.

sorry should make this clearer they knew the it would be decided today as in if they were going into administration or if they were being bought out, nobody expect to be sent home today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yes absolutely this.

Also can people on boards and ****facebook please stop telling me that loads of people have just lost their jobs? I realise that but unfortunately that's no my concern at all.

As a consumer I've just been robbed of games I handed over in good faith - end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

'We're sorry for stealing your money... we have none left and we're going to use it to pay off our creditors. **** you.'

QFT

Glad I used up all my reward points and gift vouchers last week.

Krieg wrote: »
    QFT

I wish I had done that also. I wouldn't mind but I was in GAME in blanch eyeing PSVita games with my new store credit thingy and was wondering wether to get them or not.

This has been the first time I've ever traded in games in a store and I can safely say it'll be my last now. I'd rather hold on to the games and never them again than to be shafted like this.

Krieg wrote: »
    QFT

exactly what people should of done. fair play dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Yes absolutely this.

Also can people on boards and ****facebook please stop telling me that loads of people have just lost their jobs? I realise that but unfortunately that's no my concern at all.

As a consumer I've just been robbed of games I handed over in good faith - end of story.

And Game took them in good faith. The decision to close shops was taken today.

Also it doesn't appear that this was a decision by Game, it seems to have been a decision taken as a part of the administration process by the administration team.

I realise this doesn't really help you but this isn't a great situation all round.

As above, the only knowledge that the staff may have had was that the company would go into administration today. The closure of the shops is something of a shock to everyone I would imagine.

ah yes the 'i dont agee with you so i'll say you are uninformed, don't bother posting blah blah' spiel ;)

coming from a man who just said he traded in his copy of me3 so 'they could sell on' lol. like what you were doing them a favor? lol as they what gave you 20 euro for it? and for them wanting to sell it on for 45....

then they go bang. you lost your store credit. real shrewd man. question tho why didnt you get a vita there and then?

I could have sold it on adverts for 35 cash. I could have traded it in at gamestop for around 37 against a preorder of my choice. GAME were crying out for newer titles so they could get some business. Heck I even thought about buying 5 copies of ME3 with my credit in CeX Dublin and trade it back to Game for equal value just to help them get stock.

I traded it in at GAME to help a store I have supported for over 15 years. A store that have been very good to me over those 15 years. A store where I consider many of the staff to be friends.

I didn't get a vita as I hadn't full credit for it there and then.

Yes I do disagree with you. However, I'm not backing my view up by saying you are incorrect and uninformed. Those are facts independant of my views.

Orim wrote: »

Upper management would have known that they were closing soon this is why I'm so ****ing angry.

As I said I don't really care about the credit all I want is my games back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

That was my original point. Much as we all, well most of us lament the passing of Game and reminisce of the good ol days I find it hard to believe that this came totally out of the blue to even the guys on the front line.
    A heads up to loyal customers who have been going there for years like "why dont you trade this lot on Monday wink wink" wouldn't have hurted.
    Very dissappointed.

Orim wrote: »

Also it doesn't appear that this was a decision by Game, it seems to have been a decision taken as a part of the administration process by the administration team.

I realise this doesn't really help you but this isn't a great situation all round.

As above, the only knowledge that the staff may have had was that the company would go into administration today. The closure of the shops is something of a shock to everyone I would imagine.

I'm basing the comment based on a comment from Caspa307that has now been clarified. As I said earlier, my gut was that had they known earlier than today, they wouldn't have taken my game. Also, it was my decision to put it on a card. They spent ages telling me what was available to buy in store right then.

I'm hoping all the lads in the Limerick store get a job asap. If their rivals had hald a brain, they would given them all jobs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Upper management would have known that they were closing soon this is why I'm so ****ing angry.

As I said I don't really care about the credit all I want is my games back.

Upper management in MJA Jervis and SD Maddison may have known in advance but as far as I can see the management for Game have tried to keep everything running for as long as possible. If they were going to close the shops they would have closed them while they still had control of the company.

As I said this decision was taken outside of the Game group.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

moz wrote: »
    That was my original point. Much as we all, well most of us lament the passing of Game and reminisce of the good ol days I find it hard to believe that this came totally out of the blue to even the guys on the front line.
    A heads up to loyal customers who have been going there for years like "why dont you trade this lot on Monday wink wink" wouldn't have hurted.
    Very dissappointed.

Even if the staff there knew that this was a possibility, if they were still holding out hope that the business could survive and they'd thereore keep their jobs then why would they try to put people off? GAME's problem is cash. Trade-ins for credit boost that cashflow and I'm sure the importance of generating cash has been drilled into staff as GAME's problems have come to light.

The one in Galway is gone too, apparently. This makes me really sad, because I loved the people in there. They were always really pleasant to deal with and great to chat to. Even if another shop offered a better deal, I would go to them just because of their employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Staff had no idea it was happening today. The stores got the call literally mid-transaction.

Staff had no idea it was happening today. The stores got the call literally mid-transaction.

Thats very very sad.

I could have sold it on adverts for 35 cash. I could have traded it in at gamestop for around 37 against a preorder of my choice. GAME were crying out for newer titles so they could get some business. Heck I even thought about buying 5 copies of ME3 with my credit in CeX Dublin and trade it back to Game for equal value just to help them get stock.

I traded it in at GAME to help a store I have supported for over 15 years. A store that have been very good to me over those 15 years. A store where I consider many of the staff to be friends.

I didn't get a vita as I hadn't full credit for it there and then.

Yes I do disagree with you. However, I'm not backing my view up by saying you are incorrect and uninformed. Those are facts independant of my views.

you were going to buy 5 copies lol.
    dude, its a business. game dont care about you. as long as you kept buying games thats all they cared about ... your store credit as well as everyone elses dont mean jack to them now.

look i dont mean to come off as rude but countless companies have gone bust shafting people. stuff like this will happen over and over again. you cant trust a company thats going under.

caspa307 wrote: »
    sorry should make this clearer they knew the it would be decided today as in if they were going into administration or if they were being bought out, nobody expect to be sent home today

Thansk for clarifying that, i couldn't believe it when I read it tbh.

dude, its a business. game dont care about you. as long as you kept buying games thats all they cared about ... your store credit as well as everyone elses dont mean jack to them now.

look i dont mean to come off as rude but countless companies have gone bust shafting people. stuff like this will happen over and over again. you cant trust a company thats going under.

But you're not dealing with the company, you're dealing with the staff. I can actually understand FutureGuy's thinking.

OK now you're you really beginning to piss me off. You were rude and yet I answered your questions openly and honestly.

I couldn't care what Game as a company think about me, and I wouldn't expect them to. I care about the fact that alot of good people were in danger of losing their jobs, and that there might have been a chance that store closures were on a location-by-location basis.

Thanksfully, I'm in a financial position that I don't care about losing a fiver in trade-in value or placing preorders at my local store even though they are a little more expensive (like I did with MW3 Hardened Edition and Street Fighter v Tekken Limited Edition with GAME).

The fact that you think my actions were driven only by greed is fcuking pathetic tbh.

• Advertisement

But you're not dealing with the company, you're dealing with the staff. I can actually understand FutureGuy's thinking.

but its the head office, not the staff they are just doing what head office says.
    H.O. had no issue with stores giving people credit. whilst they try to solve their debt. but equally have no problem if people get shafted if it went bust ... 'sorry dont have the money to honor your credit, but we're going to sell on your games as assets. cheers'

Advertisement