Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky On-Demand (formerly Anytime) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

galtee boy wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to do a forced update, to get new services, Sky should send a signal to update the box. Why haven't they done this for Catch Up ? The average "Joe" out there, hasn't a clue about forced updates. No offence to anyone !

I didnt do a forced update for the vastly improved search function, as i noticed the box on standby the next day, so how are you supposed to know? As i came here to ask where did the extra tabs on the On Demand go to & knew i'd find the answere, but not everyone has that option sadly.
    It seems to depend on what software version is running on the box.
    My main STB downstairs has no digital output through HDMI, advanced search, update information tab or Catch Up tab, whilst my smaller multiroom box upstairs has all these features.
    Catch Up will probably be available on all boxes eventually, but some will have to wait to get it - they won't get it by a forced update.

The link below shows what some STB's miss out on ...

http://www.skyepginfo.co.uk/skyhd/skyplushd.html

If i may ask, how do you know which one is your box from that list?
    ftakeith wrote: »
    I am connected to sky tv from today, great customer service

for some reason the itv player is part of sky on demand on my sky box, it works very well, my parents can watch downton abbey xmas special on st stephens day without ads on the itv player

very impressed with the new sky 2TB sky box, wifi in built, no need for ethernet broadband connection

I introduced my brother last week as i got a letter from sky with a few invites in it, but i didnt realise they now sent out HD Boxes, are they standard now? he's got the wifi built in one, strange as he's got no broadband let alone a phoneline!

A while back they tried to give me the 2TB sky box when ringing sky to take off channels, but what do i do with the HD box i already have inc a multi-room one both full of recordings, i wouldnt mind more room as i've only got 2% left, pity you cant port the programmes over to a new box.

How much can you record onto a 2TB box & do the new HD Boxes come with any extra room compared to the previous HD boxes or is the wifi the only new addition?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

If i may ask, how do you know which one is your box from that list ?

Press 'Services' on your remote, scroll right once to 'Settings', then scroll down to 'Details'. All the information is there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Got a letter from Sky today, informing me of a price increase in Feb and a brochure telling me of all the wonderful new services I will get for my money, including Irelands Best Catch Up Service with loads of channels, including TV3, CH4 etc etc, launching Winter 2013, but no mention of RTE in it. Is either 3Player or 4OD on the Catch Up tab yet ? Because if not, my reading of this, is that they are on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

4OD has been on the Irish catch up since it was introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

It would be pretty crap if the rte player wasn't included

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭AlmostQuick

The update applied itself for me this afternoon while using the Sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I found out this way a while ago on the sky forum, as i use it when the box stalls on me, so i tried it out on the forced update before i went to bed last night & well worth the wait, now just for RTE, if what was said in getting TV3 after Dec too, although is the Beeb coming soon as well?

So here are the steps i found:

Step 1

Press the power button off
    -> Then press & hold it for 5 sec, power button in front will go red (off)

Step 2

Make sure the power button is red
    -> wait for 5 sec -> then press Sky button -> light will go amber (Standby)

Step 3

Wait for 4 mins -> press Sky button - you may see a message before viewing, resumes on ch 998

Instead of waiting for the 4 min, i let it boot up by itself overnite as the light was green in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Meath08

Hi, I carried out the forced update recently and now have the catch up tab. One thing that has changed is the search function which now only searches by title alphabetically. I use a wireless connector and can download on demand or catch up without difficulty but the search function tells me I can only access more advanced features if my sky+HD box is connected to my broadband router. This makes no sense to me. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get access to the additional search features as it's too basic a search facility now.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭AlmostQuick

Got an email from Sky tonight about Catch up. It says 'Sky Entertainment customers will be able to watch shows from 4oD, Sky Atlantic, Sky 1, Sky Arts 1 & 2, Universal, Syfy, Fox, TLC, Lifetime, E!, Comedy Central and Star.

Sky Entertainment Extra customers can also catch up on great documentaries from Discovery, Animal Planet, Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild, History and CI. They can also get kids shows on Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, Nickelodeon and Nick Jr.

Sky Sports and Sky Movies customers also have access to a huge range of content in the Catch Up TV section.' It lists 3 player as 'coming soon' but there's no mention of the RTE player...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I found out this way a while ago on the sky forum, as i use it when the box stalls on me, so i tried it out on the forced update before i went to bed last night & well worth the wait, now just for RTE, if what was said in getting TV3 after Dec too, although is the Beeb coming soon as well?

So here are the steps i found:

Step 1

Press the power button off
    -> Then press & hold it for 5 sec, power button in front will go red (off)

Step 2

Make sure the power button is red
    -> wait for 5 sec -> then press Sky button -> light will go amber (Standby)

Step 3

Wait for 4 mins -> press Sky button - you may see a message before viewing, resumes on ch 998

Instead of waiting for the 4 min, i let it boot up by itself overnite as the light was green in the morning.

thank you very much

catch up now works on my new sky 2TB box from this evening

sky told me last saturday it will be 6 months before catch up comes comes to the republic of ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Placeholder for 3player with 'coming soon' now appeared in the Catch Up section.

Hope the RTE might appear soon

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Anyone know when the TV3 player is being added?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

Eircom have swapped out our modem and now have a new password. Subsequently, on demand is not working. Can anyone tell me how to change the internet password on my sky ? Im getting a 'fail' connection to On Demand. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

caycro wrote: »
    Eircom have swapped out our modem and now have a new password. Subsequently, on demand is not working. Can anyone tell me how to change the internet password on my sky ? Im getting a 'fail' connection to On Demand. Many thanks

You can find the instructions for setting it up on this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭caycro

pbarr wrote: »
    You can find the instructions for setting it up on this page.

Unfortunately, that article only tells you how to set it the first time but it doesn't tell you how to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

When you go in to the existing network's settings you will see the red button and it says reset. If you press this the box will rescan and it should pick up the new router and then you will be able to put in the new password.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

its a typical half effort from sky for its irish customers. no rte player or bbc player yet they say its great and irelands biggest service.. i note they dont say irelands best service. DO Samsung still have the exclusive catch up rights for rte player and is that why they cant launch it yet?
    its like the HD pack. In the UK you can get it for 5pounds extra on the entertainment extra pack yet you cant here...

no rte player or bbc player ...DO Samsung still have the exclusive catch up rights for rte player and is that why they cant launch it yet?
    RTE Player is available on Irish Playstation 3 consoles (BTW UK ones get the BBC iPlayer). BBC rights issuses prevent the iPlayer going on Sky Ireland, and why the online version is geo-blocked for non-UK ISP's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

The 3 player has now gone live on catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

RTE Player is available on Irish Playstation 3 consoles (BTW UK ones get the BBC iPlayer). BBC rights issuses prevent the iPlayer going on Sky Ireland, and why the online version is geo-blocked for non-UK ISP's.

I always wondered about the bbc rights issue thing. surely nearly all the programming on iplayer is BBC originated thus no need to clear rights with anyone for Ireland except themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

The 3 player has now gone live on catch up.

Is it the exact same TV3 Player that is available elsewhere, like laptops, iPads etc, not a cut down version for Sky ?

It's live now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Picture and sound seem to be much better on catch up than on broadcast for tv3.

surely nearly all the programming on iplayer is BBC originated thus no need to clear rights with anyone for Ireland except themselves?

There are seperate programme rights to be cleared for broadcast and internet ect. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

How do i get channel 40d. It says its on on demand but i don't have it

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

How do i get channel 40d. It says its on on demand but i don't have it

Is your Sky+ box connected to your broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Is your Sky+ box connected to your broadband?

I have a phone line running to the back of it. Would that be it. I'm not completely savvy with this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I have a phone line running to the back of it. Would that be it. I'm not completely savvy with this

do you know if your box has wifi? (is there a WPS button on the front of it)
    otherwise you'll need to connect an ethernet cable from your router to the sky box

Advertisement