Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The hopelessly overpriced bicycle thread..!!Mod warning - no stolen bike discussion!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/giant-road-bike/21611477

A little optimistic with that price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fair play to the lad in with the first offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That's spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

"Too many quality parts to list" - for 10k you might have a go like :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

too many quality parts to list - and then lists the pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭tonytiger81

too many quality parts to list - and then lists the pump.

Could be a quality pump in fairness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It is a nice bike too. You'd wonder where people pick these up, 10k for a bike and doesn't even know the size.

I love th Aliexpress wheel cover making it a triathlon bike too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Does have some nice parts on it, and the ENVE wheels look great. But I'm not sure buying it brand new would cost more than the asking price.

is it just me, or is the cassette a little grubby for a bike that's 'only been used a handful of times'?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zindicato

more or less a decade old giant , as far as I can remember fcr's were flat bars
    https://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/giant-fcr-ladies-size-s/21678470

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

A €600 carbon seat - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/selle-italia-sp-01-kit-carbonio-superflow-saddle-2018/rp-prod163940?

And the rear derailleur incorrectly installed.

zindicato wrote: »
    more or less a decade old giant , as far as I can remember fcr's were flat bars
    https://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/giant-fcr-ladies-size-s/21678470
    well spotted, i think this is it?
    https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/fcr-1-women-s-2009

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

joey100 wrote: »
    Does have some nice parts on it, and the ENVE wheels look great. But I'm not sure buying it brand new would cost more than the asking price.

Brand new it cost €8499. Hes a dreamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Brand new it cost €8499. Hes a dreamer.

This is going straight to the pool room!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

What are those Bentini bikes like? Half decent?

Never seen one in the flesh, but probably on par with Carrera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

This one I like for a lot of reasons:

- Mega Build Description
    - New equivalent Canyon only a few quid more, or cheaper for a 105 Disc Canyon with Carbon Frame
    - Individual priced components all much cheaper when searched on google

https://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/mega-build-all-carbon-t1000-ultegra-bike/20682787

as you say - €960 for a 6800 groupset? i bought that for under €700 IIRC over two years ago. and that was from my LBS, not some online discounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

I suspect as the frame is chinese the Bontrager bottle cages and seatpost are also the €15 aliexpress versions, probably a few other bits too

• Advertisement

weirdly underspecced wheels too, if he's claiming the bike is the equivalent of €3.5k new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

as you say - €960 for a 6800 groupset? i bought that for under €700 IIRC over two years ago. and that was from my LBS, not some online discounter.

Also then quotes separately for the bottom bracket.

29 euro cable adjusters too, really is a mega build as I assume their titanium or carbon considering most places online sell em for 4 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I’m not sure math is his strong suit. He also says in the comments that 182cm is just a tad over 5’9

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

I’m not sure math is his strong suit. He also says in the comments that 182cm is just a tad over 5’9

Mixing 5'11 up with 5.9 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I’d also be quite certain that the bottle cages are the generic multi brand AliExpress carbon fibre of questionable quality. I say that having owned them and knowing someone else that had the same is a different brand. All broke quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

^^^
    Thats an ancient Ritchey Comp stem that sells for about 35 euro new. He has his valued at 80 euro, which would buy you a new, top of the range WCS alloy stem. Aksiums for 240 euro! They can be picked up for about 160 euro on bikediscount.

He's looked online and found the priciest RRP of a component (the 6800 groupset when new) or what's closest looking to what is specced on the bike, like the stem for example.

Of course, it's a technique to make the bike look like its worth far more than the price he is selling it at, so a potential buyer feels like they are getting a bargain, and ultimately sell it for close to what it is reasonably worth.

The bike's true value is about 1500 euro; however, if he listed it for that without the inflated component value, he might only get a grand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I love how he qualifies it by stating he's an engineer :confused: Probably in hoovers :D

It's a nice looking frame though to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I love how he qualifies it by stating he's an engineer :confused: Probably in hoovers :D

It's a nice looking frame though to be fair

Is it a Canyon Ultimate knock off? Looks very similar where the seat tube meets top tube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Is it a Canyon Ultimate knock off? Looks very similar where the seat tube meets top tube

Yeah it does indeed look like one with that moulded junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

I’d also be quite certain that the bottle cages are the generic multi brand AliExpress carbon fibre of questionable quality. I say that having owned them and knowing someone else that had the same is a different brand. All broke quite quickly.

Most of the carbon bikes come from china so the quality of a lot of the stuff is quite good. My handlebars and wheels are farsport which is aliexpress but are also UCI certified

Advertisement