Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumours of Sabbats for next year....

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

derek, i find it frankly semi-fraudulent for you to continue with your song about ULSU having zero debts and ULSU services having 300k debt. the ulsu services debt rests at the door of the ULSU. the debt needs to be managed and repaid under the supervision of the SU. Stop trying to trick people. Tell them the truth Derek. tell them the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

cambridge wrote: »
    derek, i find it frankly semi-fraudulent for you to continue with your song about ULSU having zero debts and ULSU services having 300k debt. the ulsu services debt rests at the door of the ULSU. the debt needs to be managed and repaid under the supervision of the SU. Stop trying to trick people. Tell them the truth Derek. tell them the truth.

He hasn't lied about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

@mods,
    As OP, I'd be in favour of this thread being split/closed or the obvious trolls being banned so that it can return to what the OP was about.

Tony

you don't get to decide which threads get closed and which users get banned, TS or not.

What a ridiculous idea? Is this a sign of things to come. Delusions of grandeur, because you're SU president and you dont want other people doing things that they enjoy you think you can take the ball and go home.

I really really hope you don't run for education, you seem to be completely intellectually immature. I'll wait for your manifesto to come up so i can dissect it and really show you up for being the wrong man for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

@mods,
    As OP, I'd be in favour of this thread being split/closed or the obvious trolls being banned so that it can return to what the OP was about.

Tony

+1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    @mods,

Tony

+1.

+1

(you should be paying attention, not on boards =P)

you don't get to decide which threads get closed and which users get banned, TS or not.

What a ridiculous idea? Is this a sign of things to come. Delusions of grandeur, because you're SU president and you dont want other people doing things that they enjoy you think you can take the ball and go home.

I really really hope you don't run for education, you seem to be completely intellectually immature. I'll wait for your manifesto to come up so i can dissect it and really show you up for being the wrong man for the job.

1. I said I'd be in favour - I didn't dictate anything. I didn't even make a request.
    2. I have no DELUSIONS of grandeur - I'm awesome.
    3. I'm not SU president.
    4. I'm not encouraging anyone to play football, I think it's a ridiculous game.
    5. The thread was started for one reason; I expressed that it has gone off topic. This has been the opinion of 2 mods so far. I am not so arrogant to assume that I know the parameters through which they decide to split/ban/close and so I expressed my support for using some mechanism available to them that might allow the topic to get back on track (one of those suggestions would allow you to continue in your current vein with a seperate open topic with a more appropriate topic)
    6. I think I would be a brilliant candidate for Education Officer and if I were to run I would be as open and honest as I possibly could during any potential campaign. If I was shown then to be intellectually immature and the vote reflected that I think that would be democracy in action. If I were to get in though I'm sure it would either show that I actually do have charm (possibly even a bit of charisma) unless of course people vote less cynically than you have previously suggested and think that I might actually be good for the job.*
    7. I'm afraid of being accused of being insulting about this (or of flaming) so I will attempt to phrase it as carefully as possible. All opinions are worth listening to. Sometimes they are opinions worth noting, sometimes they are opinions which aren't because they are baseless. I find that many of those expressed here are not worth noting.

*this is neither confirming or denying my intention to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 colon

Soar high Cambridge, I can picture the usual su types with their sweaty brows and shaky hands, trembling at the taught of someone upsetting their cozy ways. There is a lot of people excited about your election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

these guys are getting super excited

1645261-troll_doll_super.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

And so the flamers become more annoying and destructive than the trollers.

The cycle on this forum continues....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I wonder what would be issues that the potential sabbats will use to try and pull in student who might not be as involved in the student union in a hope to get them to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Jester252 wrote: »
    I wonder what would be issues that the potential sabbats will use to try and pull in student who might not be as involved in the student union in a hope to get them to vote

same hot topic as every year

whos giving out the best candy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

So I skipped 17 pages of this thread but I don't seem to have missed much.

To get back on topic, who's running/ran/elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 colon

Troll, flamer. No. Interested in a change from the usual type that win elections with sweeties and crowds of groupies rambling about screaming the next messiahs name..definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

ninty9er wrote: »

Actually, the screens cost the SU nothing, bar the grief of them not working and the sponsor wanting to know why. C&S actually backed the plan for these and they wouldn't be there unless C&S indicated they had a usage necessity for them as the other usage wasn't sufficient on its own.

What I referred to was the initial cost, and when C&S agreed to them, we were promised they would work and would be used. I distinctly remember last year that the attitude was "we didn't introduce them, so it's not our problem".

Last year (as the years before) I voted for the people who engaged with the issues, not those who had the best sweets. I'm more for savoury than sweet though but I don't think that explains it - More likely the fact that I, like most, feel that I have the intelligence to make my decision based on what matters.
    As one of those who has campaigned in the past also, I am glad to say that I feel I represented the person well and honestly. I tried to engage people on the manefesto more than anything. Sweets were used as a bit of an icebreaker.
    I'd prefer to respect the electorate and hope that those who do actually make the effort to vote have actually done so because of someone who has made the effort to engage and empathise with student issues (in a realistic way).

I am warming to this Tony Canning chap, seems like a decent sort. I might make use of him as Education officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

ninty9er wrote: »
    ULSU has no long term structural debt issues, it has current expenditure issues which have become critical due to the non-profitability of ULSU Services

Just to clarify, ULSU has an operating loss of 54K a year. They pay ~380K currently in wages but only get ~280K fixed income.

2 sabbat positions were removed, saving 54K. This still leaves ~54K of ULSU shortfall a year. With a 3 year temporary reallocation of C&S/SU capitation split to fill this ~54K shortfall, nothing is guaranteeing ULSU having long-term fixed income greater OR equal to fixed expenditure.

That needs to be addressed and is a huge structral problem within the SU which can cause long term debt as the reallocation is temporary and not a permanent solution.

What happens in 3 years when the shop breaks even? or worse, make a loss again? IMHO wages either need to be cut, people redundant OR fixed income needs to increase permanently.

I am in favour of the temporary change of C&S/SU capitation split provided at the end of the 3 years, the fixed income of the SU is greater or equal to it's fixed expenditure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

reunion wrote: »
    Just to clarify, ULSU has an operating loss of 54K a year. They pay ~380K currently in wages but only get ~280K fixed income.

2 sabbat positions were removed, saving 54K. This still leaves ~54K of ULSU shortfall a year. With a 3 year temporary reallocation of C&S/SU capitation split to fill this ~54K shortfall, nothing is guaranteeing ULSU having long-term fixed income greater OR equal to fixed expenditure.

That needs to be addressed and is a huge structral problem within the SU which can cause long term debt as the reallocation is temporary and not a permanent solution.

What happens in 3 years when the shop breaks even? or worse, make a loss again? IMHO wages either need to be cut, people redundant OR fixed income needs to increase permanently.

I am in favour of the temporary change of C&S/SU capitation split provided at the end of the 3 years, the fixed income of the SU is greater or equal to it's fixed expenditure.

The SU is looking for 60 odd thousand from C&S per year for three years to cover its shortfall until the shop finishes paying off its debt and can step in and start supporting the SU.

What I would like to know is why the SU is not taking steps to lessen the burden that C&S will have to shoulder by reducing its own fixed costs.

Based on the info sceptre provided in the ULSU EGM thread, if the three SU sabbats that will be elected were to have their pay cut, either by having their minimum wage +€1 cut back to just minimum wadge, or having their hours cut from 44 to 40, the saving would be around €6000.

C&S will have to meet the SU's needs, the alternative is too unpalatable, but I don't think it should allow the SU to place all of the burden on its shoulders when there are additional cuts that the SU could make.

I heard mark o'donovan is running for an office this year, probably president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

I heard mark o'donovan is running for an office this year, probably president.

sure might have to keep you out of office!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

I heard Jason Kennedy and Dar Roche are both sniffing around the Welfare position now that comms office has been eradicated.

Dont know anything about dara, but I think Jason would be more than up to the job.

@cambridge will you have any gimmicks in your campaign at all - lollies, condoms, milky bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jasonpkennedy

I'm not going for any position this year. Thanks for the ego boost though! :)

Always the campaigner, never the candidate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

horsemeat wrote: »
    I heard Jason Kennedy and Dar Roche are both sniffing around the Welfare position now that comms office has been eradicated.

Dont know anything about dara, but I think Jason would be more than up to the job.

@cambridge will you have any gimmicks in your campaign at all - lollies, condoms, milky bars?

Darragh Roche is a third year so I don't know where you pulled that from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Darragh Roche is a third year so I don't know where you pulled that from

Was just about to say that. IIRC he wanted to run for Comms Officer next year but won't now that it's been removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cambridge4prez

Hi guys,

Would just like to introduce myself as John Ryan, john cambridge's campaign manager for this term. I would like to apologise for John Cambridge's comments in the other thread, he gets a little carried away at times. If you have any genuine and sincere questions I can answer on his behalf. You can think of me as the King's hand, I can speak with his voice.

Thank you.

Choose Cambridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Hi guys,

Would just like to introduce myself as John Ryan, john cambridge's campaign manager for this term. I would like to apologise for John Cambridge's comments in the other thread, he gets a little carried away at times. If you have any genuine and sincere questions I can answer on his behalf. You can think of me as the King's hand, I can speak with his voice.

Thank you.

Choose Cambridge.

Hi John C Ryan . You refer to Cambridge as "King". Is a dictator something your looking to become in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

For the simple fact that there is no John Cambridge in UL meaning everything that has been posted up to now is bull, we can just end this lol

Hi again Ginge Young.

John told me that he opted out of the email agreement the university has when registering as a research student and therefore he has no XXXXXXX@studentmail.ul.ie or firstname.surname@ul.ie email address. If you make a request to student records they might tell you if John Cambridge is registered or not.

I thought searching for someone in an email database would be a slightly crude way to confirm or deny if they are a registered student/staff member but obviously not.

Regards,

JR, hand of the king

• Advertisement

Hi John C Ryan . You refer to Cambridge as "King". Is a dictator something your looking to become in the future?

You're?

I have no political aspirations. Cambridge has some fairly ambitious plans, e.g. involved in education at a national level. I am just trying to get my degree done. I have some experience in SU elections and JC asked me to be his manager. Couldn't say no. In future I'd rather keep discussions to JC rather than myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement