Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cleaning windscreen

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

barone wrote: »
    ive heard you use diet coke for less sticky/corossive finish

anyone else hear it?

When I was told of this method in 1991 I was warned only use Proper Coke. Not Diet..Not Cola's etc.
    No idea why and I never tried anything else either..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

vectra wrote: »
    But you have to ensure your screen is squeeky clean first.

Fairy Liquid and water. And lots of elbow grease. Citrus degreaser if its manky.

BX 19 wrote: »
    Fairy Liquid and water. And lots of elbow grease. Citrus degreaser if its manky.

Can of Coke is more readily available I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Can of Coke is more readily available I'd say

A lot less hardship opening a can too..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Gave the coke a quick try today on mine. When I say quick, I mean about 3 minutes between inside and out and all I had on me was a tissue. It didn't work too well, worked a little but maybe I just didn't do it long enough or with proper application.

I might need a new filter too so best thing is to probably get a new filter first, then new wipers too but only fit the wipers after a thorough clean.

One thing I will say though...

If coke is working for this kinda thing, imagine what it's doing inside your body :eek:

Anyone know if the coke has to be fizzy as the one I bought might be flat the next time I use it and don't want to be throwing too much money into Coca Cola company :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Errrrrrrr, it shouldn't be used on the inside.

All you need is an old but clean cloth. Pour it directly on to the windscreen then scrub it.

turn on the wipers and leave them run for a minute then rinse with water.

you're going to have to get a good cleaner to clean the inside of the windscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

MadsL wrote: »
    I used to use RainX on my Smart...drove from Galway to Dublin once in the rain without wipers. Great stuff...

I once drove from Roscommon to Sligo without wipers in extremely heavy rain.... no rainX, wiper linkages broke and it was 2am... that was a fun journey! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

any suggestion for a better clean than coke for the inside so? Can even see that oily colour when I look from outside in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cormie wrote: »
    any suggestion for a better clean than coke for the inside so? Can even see that oily colour when I look from outside in :(

AutoGlym Glass Polish, do it twice.

You need two clean cotton cloths, one to rub in the liquid polish, the other to buff and wipe away any streaks. Pour a small amount of the polish on the first cloth, rub it in to the windscreen, then use the second (dry and clean) cloth to polish the glass. Repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

coylemj wrote: »
    AutoGlym Glass Polish, do it twice.

You need two clean cotton cloths, one to rub in the liquid polish, the other to buff and wipe away any streaks. Pour a small amount of the polish on the first cloth, rub it in to the windscreen, then use the second (dry and clean) cloth to polish the glass. Repeat.

All you're doing there really is moving the film of grease around. It needs to be washed first, then polished.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »

Very light solution of fairy liquid and warm water along with a clean dry towel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Must try this coke trick.

Must try this coke trick.

Coke
    Best thing since the sliced pan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Very light solution of fairy liquid and warm water along with a clean dry towel

Drop of vinegar in the water helps.

E39MSport wrote: »
    Drop of vinegar in the water helps.

White Vinegar is best

Advertisement