Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cleaning windscreen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

irish-stew wrote: »
    Would this be through an empty resevoir, or dilute?

Dilute and running the washers until it's empty. then flush with some water to remove any residue left. The fill back up with good screen wash

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bladespin wrote: »
    Give vinegar a try.

I had tried this in the past and it didn't help at all...and the car smelt like a chippy for a week! No matter how much I cleaned it, the smell wouldn't go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm a vinegar fan too but will give Coke a chance next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭jack of all

I clean the inside of my car windscreen with some methylated spirit on a microfibre cloth- good for removing grime and grease film. I also like to add a capful or two to the washer bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I use hand cleaner,the stuff the builders use.It's amazing at clearing road grease and oil off windscreens.Rub it on with a cloth or newspaper and let the wipers and some water do the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Is it the inside or outside that the problem is?

I used Isopro alcohol to clean glass at work, surgical standard so should shift even the worst, won't leave a smell either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Run some mouthwash through the water resevoir to kill any bugs in there and to clean it all out :)

Actually folks, this is a KEY issue. I was reading lately that they have identified a significantly higher risk of Legionnaire's disease for lorry drivers and for professional drivers in general. Reason? washing the windscreen and letting ANY of that foul water come in the driver window via droplets. Its happened to all of us at some stage, where you've nearly drowned yourself. But worse, just like sick car syndrome from aircon, your vents can also bring the pneumonia bacteria straight into the car from the windscreen via the vents. Yikes.

Turns out that that lukewarm windscreen reservoir is the PERFECT incubator for some killer bacteria. Which makes sense. Just took quantitative research to extrapolate it.

http://www.isisinsurance.co.uk/2010/06/30/truck-insurance-clients-in-possible-legionnaire’s-disease-link/

http://www.publichealthjrnl.com/article/S0033-3506(06)00075-8/abstract

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10306411

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Regarding the coke idea, I've never tried it but does it not make the whole windscreen area sticky as fook?

I've had a good few customer cars with manky windscreens inside and out. Here's what I do:

1. Wash the windscreen using a basin of warm water and was-up liquid and a sponge.

2. Use a microfibre cloth to dry it up

3. Use something like Turtle Wax Clear Vue glass cleaner. Spray it onto an applicator pad that you would normally use for wax.

4. Dry it off BEFORE IT DRIES

5. Use AutoGlym glass polish. I use a Meguiar's even coat applicator pad for this. Let it dry to a haze then buff it off with a microfibre cloth. Turn to a clean side and give the window a final wipe just to be sure that you have it all off.

The best thing about the AG polish is that it will not leave any streaks whatsoever. Often times people just stop after the TW glass cleaner thinking it's ok. When the sun shines through the windscreen all the streaks are in full view.

Also, using the glass polish on the exterior makes it act as a water repellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

FFS lads.

Cutting agent and elbow grease then water repellant.

I'm applying g-techniq stuff tomorrow.

E39MSport wrote: »
    FFS lads.

Cutting agent and elbow grease then water repellant.

I'm applying g-techniq stuff tomorrow.

Is that the stuff that brings up black trim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

They have a few applications incl an excellent trim restorer.

I have the crystal lacquer stuff for paintwork (yet to be applied) and also the glass polishing and sealant.

Mate used the latter on his motor recently, says it has excellent beading in the rain - wipers almost not necessary.

Love that myself. Watching the water fly off the windscreen without wiping is great

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I used to use RainX on my Smart...drove from Galway to Dublin once in the rain without wipers. Great stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

I've a hell of a streak on my i30 which I was putting down to faulty wiper blades.

The reason for this is the streak only appears when the wipers are on and it only lasts a few seconds. Am I correct?

I'll try the coke test and see how it goes. Failing that , does anyone know where I can get replacement blades today? I'm in north Kildare and halfords are sold out apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    I've a hell of a streak on my i30 which I was putting down to faulty wiper blades.

The reason for this is the streak only appears when the wipers are on and it only lasts a few seconds. Am I correct?

I'll try the coke test and see how it goes. Failing that , does anyone know where I can get replacement blades today? I'm in north Kildare and halfords are sold out apparently.

Give your blades a good clean as well and also check them for damage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I've had a good few customer cars with manky windscreens inside and out.

What is it you do out of interest?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

vinegar and elbow grease with newspaper will give it a fine shine
    nobody ever believes me though

the inside of my windscreen is awful though, i stupidly pawed at it with an old cloth before when the condensation wouldn't clear and now it's streaky as hell
    i guess i better go at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

As soon as I read this I grabbed a can of coke and a sponge and scrubbed the window clean with it. Ever since I got my car I've had some strange residue on it that I've never been able to get rid off. It looks like it's grand and clear now, but it's dark outside so I can't really tell. I'll find out tomorrow! Thanks for the tip johnos!

Just back from a trip in the rain. The coke worked brilliantly, best the window's ever looked.

What is it you do out of interest?

My main job is as an accounts/office manager but I do car valeting on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

As soon as I read this I grabbed a can of coke and a sponge and scrubbed the window clean with it. Ever since I got my car I've had some strange residue on it that I've never been able to get rid off. It looks like it's grand and clear now, but it's dark outside so I can't really tell. I'll find out tomorrow! Thanks for the tip johnos!

Just back from a trip in the rain. The coke worked brilliantly, best the window's ever looked.

As said above, hose the car. It's corrosive and somewhat tasty stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

MugMugs wrote: »

As said above, hose the car. It's corrosive and somewhat tasty stuff.
    Tasty?

Is there a danger of window kickers attacking the car?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Tasty?

Is there a danger of window kickers attacking the car?

window lickers :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Window Kickers? Feck do you get up too at night ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

My main job is as an accounts/office manager but I do car valeting on the side.

ahhh

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1 was just out in he rain and the windscreen is crystal clear. Just try it people, no effort involved and great results!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

How's it goin people,
    My windscreen has built up an annoying residue of dirt over the years and its driving me nuts at the minute. Are there any products you recommend to clear it? Normal car washing does nothing, and i'm always wary of putting stuff on my windscreen as i'm afraid i'll make it worse!
    Get new Wiper Blades they need to be replaced annually. Hope that works for you , saves on the elbow grease. Only use correct wiper fluid, don't be tempted to substitute as the blades might suffer.

Feardorca wrote: »
    Get new Wiper Blades they need to be replaced annually. Hope that works for you , saves on the elbow grease. Only use correct wiper fluid, don't be tempted to substitute as the blades might suffer.

I probably do need them replaced, but if you read through the thread you'll see that I've had great success with 500mls of coke!

+1 was just out in he rain and the windscreen is crystal clear. Just try it people, no effort involved and great results!

I have been using this method since 1991.. Never yet failed to sort a windscreen for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm a big fan of rain-x on the windscreen. It keeps the outside squeaky clean as the dirt doesn't stick too hard. And the rain repellent effect is pretty nifty too.

BX 19 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of rain-x on the windscreen. It keeps the outside squeaky clean as the dirt doesn't stick too hard. And the rain repellent effect is pretty nifty too.

But you have to ensure your screen is squeeky clean first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

ive heard you use diet coke for less sticky/corossive finish

anyone else hear it?

Advertisement