Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cleaning windscreen

Options
  • 28-01-2012 2:22pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How's it goin people,
    My windscreen has built up an annoying residue of dirt over the years and its driving me nuts at the minute. Are there any products you recommend to clear it? Normal car washing does nothing, and i'm always wary of putting stuff on my windscreen as i'm afraid i'll make it worse!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Autoglym glass polish is good, one of the few autoglym products that I found any good. You could also use a piece of claybar to clean it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Put mouth wash into the window washer resevoir and flush it through.

Next up get a can of Coca-Cola and wash the windscreen with it. Don't forget to clean the blades too.

Next up hose it all down properly to remove all the coke............seriously it works well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Have you got windscreen cover on your insurance? ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Put mouth wash into the window washer resevoir and flush it through.

Next up get a can of Coca-Cola and wash the windscreen with it. Don't forget to clean the blades too.

Next up hose it all down properly to remove all the coke............seriously it works well

Serious!?:eek:
    Have you got windscreen cover on your insurance? ;)

I do! Rather not go down that route!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Have a similar issue, but with the interior of the glass, it's been that way since I bought the car and I haven't done anything about it yet :o Condensation seems to build up really easily in the car, I don't know why but the windscreen is really difficult to clear even with the heat on it takes it's time and easily gets clogged up again, even when you wipe it, it doesn't really help and there appears to be grime on it.

I heard apple slices and vinegar can help too :confused:

• Advertisement

Very serious.

For less than €5 it's worth a try. A bit of elbow grease will help. It was the only thing which worked on mine and I'd tried a few products. I ended up changing the wipers too as they were old

Tell you what, try it and report back. People never believe this works but it does

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

cormie wrote: »
    Have a similar issue, but with the interior of the glass, it's been that way since I bought the car and I haven't done anything about it yet :o Condensation seems to build up really easily in the car, I don't know why but the windscreen is really difficult to clear even with the heat on it takes it's time and easily gets clogged up again, even when you wipe it, it doesn't really help and there appears to be grime on it.

Cleancar are selling a great anti-fog product for your windscreen.

http://www.cleancar.ie/car-pro-fog-fight.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lOX6XP0JDk

Thanks for that, looks impressive by the video anyway, will give a good cleaning first to see if that helps at all. Just weird that condensation builds up so easily, even when there's nobody in the car, thought it might be damp so I have a dehumidifier pack in the car at the moment and it has collected a bit of water but I think there's still some damp left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭ongarite

Thanks for that, looks impressive by the video anyway, will give a good cleaning first to see if that helps at all. Just weird that condensation builds up so easily, even when there's nobody in the car, thought it might be damp so I have a dehumidifier pack in the car at the moment and it has collected a bit of water but I think there's still some damp left.

Could be blocked up pollen filter, heater is on re-circulate rather than external or there is a leaking seal letting water into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

How's it goin people,
    My windscreen has built up an annoying residue of dirt over the years and its driving me nuts at the minute. Are there any products you recommend to clear it? Normal car washing does nothing, and i'm always wary of putting stuff on my windscreen as i'm afraid i'll make it worse!
    Buy a can of glass cleaner from a glazers, only a fiver and will clean the glass like new.

• Advertisement

could be the pollen filter, is that something to do with the heater?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Barkeepers friend is supposed to be very good for getting all the grease & grime off the windscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

If it is on the outside you simply cannot beat a bottle of Coke.. Honestly..

Do it now while it is drizzling rain.

Fogfight is only for the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just weird that condensation builds up so easily, even when there's nobody in the car

There is an invisible layer of grease on the windscreen, you need to thoroughly clean it with something like AutoGlym. Windscreens fog up when droplets of water vapour stick to dirt and grease particles on the windscreen, if it's kept squeaky clean there will be far less condensation.

Try not to use anything but a large clean paper tissue next time the windscreen fogs up if your demist program doesn't clean it fast enough. Do not use the same rag from the door pocket again and again and expecially never rub your hand or fingers against the inside of the windscreen to clear the fog, all you're doing is spreading the sh1te around and it will fog up again in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

We got some direct mail through the door before Christmas. I can't recall the website, been searching for it. Had car stuff, christmas lights, all sorts of slightly leftfield gadgets and products.

One of which was an anti-condensation cushion. Like this one http://www.tempsl.co.uk/uk/automobile-garden/automobile/anti-fog-cushion/3351111.html

I meant to get one. still will. As my aircon is going 12 years old now. It needs some TLC also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

One of those green scouring pad and bowl of warm water with a drop (not a squirt) of washing up liquid for a steak free finish!
    The green pad is gentle and safe on glass and trim.

Can then finish off with glass polish if you wish, but not necessary.

copy_of_scouring_pads.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ronanphilip

windolene and old news paper does a great job, with a small bit of elbow grease :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well lads, walked outside with a bottle of coke, thinking to myself that I must look like a complete and utter eejit, and started pouring it on the windscreen. Covered it, turned on the wipers for a couple of passes and repeated until I was out of coke. Rinsed clean and sat in the car. Turned on the wipers and it was 100% crystal clear!!!!!!! It's never been that clear ever! Couldn't believe it!

Well lads, walked outside with a bottle of coke, thinking to myself that I must look like a complete and utter eejit, and started pouring it on the windscreen. Covered it, turned on the wipers for a couple of passes and repeated until I was out of coke. Rinsed clean and sat in the car. Turned on the wipers and it was 100% crystal clear!!!!!!! It's never been the clear ever! Couldn't believe it!

Run some mouthwash through the water resevoir to kill any bugs in there and to clean it all out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Carne

Is there anything you can get to clean the dirt and mould off a car seat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Run some mouthwash through the water resevoir to kill any bugs in there and to clean it all out :)

I LMAO when you done this after you put most of it in the car and put the rest in your mouth with people looking at you....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Would this be through an empty resevoir, or dilute?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Like jebus christus Alan !

Did you not use search on your own forum ??

:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73686256

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

irish-stew wrote: »
    Would this be through an empty resevoir, or dilute?

Mainly mouthwash with a hint of water.

Not a massive deal and you get a lovely minty clean smell too :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I bought some nanotech windscreen products of adverts and they are really good, you clean the glass as usual then put on some nanomilk, wipe off and apply the second product nano wiper. The glass is spotless and i really like the beading effect when driving.
    :cool:

MugMugs wrote: »
    Like jebus christus Alan !

Did you not use search on your own forum ??

:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73686256

It's alright, im above the law:D

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I LMAO when you done this after you put most of it in the car and put the rest in your mouth with people looking at you....:D:D

That was funny :D Last August in the car park in Tesco Wicklow :D:D:D

BTW Alanstrainor make sure you was away any remaining coke as it's highly corrosive if left on exposed wires etc

That was funny :D Last August in the car park in Tesco Wicklow :D:D:D

BTW Alanstrainor make sure you was away any remaining coke as it's highly corrosive if left on exposed wires etc

Yup yup, gave it a decent clean after I put it on. Will be giving the car a proper wash tomorrow morning too! Cheers man!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Give vinegar a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Well lads, walked outside with a bottle of coke, thinking to myself that I must look like a complete and utter eejit, and started pouring it on the windscreen. Covered it, turned on the wipers for a couple of passes and repeated until I was out of coke. Rinsed clean and sat in the car. Turned on the wipers and it was 100% crystal clear!!!!!!! It's never been that clear ever! Couldn't believe it!

As soon as I read this I grabbed a can of coke and a sponge and scrubbed the window clean with it. Ever since I got my car I've had some strange residue on it that I've never been able to get rid off. It looks like it's grand and clear now, but it's dark outside so I can't really tell. I'll find out tomorrow! Thanks for the tip johnos!

Advertisement