Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dirty windscreen

Options
  • 07-08-2011 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Suggestions on how to clean my windscreen are required.

To sum it up there is a scum on the outside of my windscreen which makes it very hard to see out of in rainy conditions when the wipers are on. In fact I'd describe it as dangerous if I'm driving in the dark.
    I've tried a number of things to try and clean it over the past few months but none have been successful. It's probably new wiper time also but I want to give the screen a good scrub first before fitting them.

I reckon I need some strong chemicals to shift the grime. Can anyone suggest a very good cleaner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

Gonna follow this thread. I've exactly the same problem. I can't seem to get that film off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭Pique

Me too.
    I got stuff a few years back in Lidl or Aldi that worked wonders.
    It had 2 pads, a tube of cream and a wet wipe.
    You used one pad to remove main dirt, then cream and second pad and then rinse. The wet wipes were the final touch.

Absolutely fantastic results but I've never seen it back. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

iirc

Biological (clothes) washing liquid (colour one) for paint work and windows, It has enzymes to breakdown the organic grime. then a good polish with a shammy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Tesco brand "Daisy" all purpose cleaner (APC). spray it on the dry screen and go over it with a hard sponge then rinse :)

or if you want the correct answer, detailing clay i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I just rub them dry with newspaper after washing the car, leaves them very clean and shiny, and streak free.

Then apply rain-x with newspaper every couple of weeks.

Rain-x is amazing stuff for keeping the window clean.

Id imagine a good rub with newspaper would shift most of the grime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I just rub them dry with newspaper after washing the car, leaves them very clean and shiny, and streak free.

Then apply rain-x with newspaper every couple of weeks.

Rain-x is amazing stuff for keeping the window clean.

Id imagine a good rub with newspaper would shift most of the grime.
    I've done this numerous times, I've also used a sliced potatoe/onion, lemon juice, white vinegar, turtle wax windscreen cleaner, newspapers and rainx.

All worked......for a few days then it was just back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

autoglym glass polish will remove most scum and contaminants on the windscreen, leaves a great finish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I've done this numerous times, I've also used a sliced potatoe/onion, lemon juice, white vinegar, turtle wax windscreen cleaner, newspapers and rainx.

All worked......for a few days then it was just back to normal

Did you fit new wiper blades? Id recommend getting a good set of them.

Sounds like theres grease/crap on your blades to me.

Did you fit new wiper blades? Id recommend getting a good set of them.

Sounds like theres grease/crap on your blades to me.
    I've taken the blades off and cleaned them as well.

As said they are due a change but I'm pretty sure there is something on the windscreen as well so no point fitting new ones until I have given that a good clean too

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

There was a windscreen paste available from Jaguar but I am sure it must be available elsewhere. You clean the windscreen first with warm water and sponge and then apply the windscreen paste after it drys. Leave the paste to dry and it turns into a powder and then just wipe off with dry cloth.

Excellent and works but pointless if the blade rubbers need replacing and you don't renew them. Unfortunately with the climate in Ireland you may end up repeating this on a regular basis !

• Advertisement

exador wrote: »
    There was a windscreen paste available from Jaguar but I am sure it must be available elsewhere. You clean the windscreen first with warm water and sponge and then apply the windscreen paste after it drys. Leave the paste to dry and it turns into a powder and then just wipe off with dry cloth.
    So I'm looking for a windscreen cleaning paste to sort the window. Blades are due a change anyway so I'll sort them once the window is cleaned properly.

From an internet search I'm being told the problem is called GHOSTING and new blades won't sort it. I need a strong cleaner like the Jag screen cleaning cream

johnos1984 wrote: »
    So I'm looking for a windscreen cleaning paste to sort the window. Blades are due a change anyway so I'll sort them once the window is cleaned properly.

I am not sure who made the product it may well have been an auto glynn product supplied in a jaguar bottle but it definitely worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Holts/Simoniz have a product called Mixra which I find great at removing the grime and scum off the windscreen. It's easy to use too, all you have to do is spray it on the screen and turn on the wipers. (Works best when the screen is already wet)

I am not sure who made the product it may well have been an auto glynn product supplied in a jaguar bottle but it definitely worked.

Just searched and found the exact one on ebay but sure it may be available locally - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/jaguar-windscreen-paste-/250850389145

• Registered Users Posts: 15,518 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Bottle of Coke. ( real Coke )
    Pour 1/2 bottle from the top and let it flow down the screen.
    Turn on the wipers and give them 3 or 4 wipes across the screen
    Repeat the process.
    Actually this drizzly weather is perfect for doing this.

You will have to wash the car afterwards though.

If you want to to stay this way then use Mr. Muscle window cleaner ( Clear bottle-Green liquid)

Then apply a coat of RainX.
    Brilliant combo :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Pique wrote: »
    Me too.
    I got stuff a few years back in Lidl or Aldi that worked wonders.
    It had 2 pads, a tube of cream and a wet wipe.
    You used one pad to remove main dirt, then cream and second pad and then rinse. The wet wipes were the final touch.

Absolutely fantastic results but I've never seen it back. :(
    Yup, had a package of that left over (haven't seen it since the last time they stocked it) - just used it last week on the new bus.
    Before -window was grimey and smeary in rain, and wipers were very noisy.
    After - you've never seen water bead like it does after this stuff - water is now allergic to my windscreen, just shoots off it, no smearing, perfect vision. (slight bit of ghosting that follows the wipers, similar to rainx. not sure if ghosting is the right term for what I'm seeing).

I'd say the washing powder as a paste would do a good job of getting stuff off. Have used JML Doktor Power before too.

It's the sealant (or whatever you'd call it) that works wonders tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

As Vectra said a bottle of Coke...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Excellent and works but pointless if the blade rubbers need replacing and you don't renew them. Unfortunately with the climate in Ireland you may end up repeating this on a regular basis !
    Sounds like the same thing as halfords "intensive glass cutter".

Sounds like the same thing as halfords "intensive glass cutter".

don't know ... never use Halfords. what is cost from halfords ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Coke on the windscreen and run some mouth wash through your reservoir too. Could be something alive in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭volvoman480

MugMugs wrote: »
    Coke on the windscreen and run some mouth wash through your reservoir too. Could be something alive in there.

Spot on... Coke is the job for the windscreen. I run listerine through the washer bottle frequently, great job.....

On the subject of windscreen washers, I always use the Halfords concentrated screenwash. At about 6 euros for a gallon it's not bad value and over the last couple of hard winters it's the only additive I tried that didn't freeze up on me. I work nights and I was often very grateful to Halfords for getting me home. Not so much of a problem in cars I know, but the washer hose in my truck runs up inside the front grille and freezes easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

I've used the Halfords glass cutter and thought it was useless. Complete waste of money in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Turtle wax glass polish works fine for me.
    Need to use a microfibre cloth when buffing it off though otherwise the dust will go everywhere. (the cloths are cheap in Tesco and washable)

vectra wrote: »
    Bottle of Coke. ( real Coke )
    Pour 1/2 bottle from the top and let it flow down the screen.
    Turn on the wipers and give them 3 or 4 wipes across the screen
    Repeat the process.
    Actually this drizzly weather is perfect for doing this.

You will have to wash the car afterwards though.
    FIXED:

Firstly I poured a large bottle of LISTERMINT original into the water reservoir and then worked it through the system. Gave the car a nice minty smell and pretty much cleaned the scum away off the windscreen and hopefully killed anything nasty in the reservoir.

To finish I then got two litres of coke and washed the windscreen with it using a sponge and I also cleaned the wipers too. I kept the car very wet with a hose as I don't have time to wash the rest of it.

It's now perfectly clean and I'm able to see out again.

The windscreen is wet so I'm not able to apply the rainx for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Just make sure you dont wash your mouth out with screenwash tomorrow morning....:D

I'd be leaving some mouth wash in there if you haven't done.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Just make sure you dont wash your mouth out with screenwash tomorrow morning....:D
    Got a few funny looks when I walked out of tesco, popped the bonnet, took a swig for myself and then poured the rest into the car :D

The drive home gave it time to mix in with the rest of the water

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

What is the idea behind mouthwash in the washer bottle?

HJL wrote: »
    What is the idea behind mouthwash in the washer bottle?
    I assume it's the anti-bacterial action which is mean to kill anything growing in the reservoir. Could just be an old wives tail but it had most of the crap gone by the time I sprayed it through

• Advertisement

Water gets stagnant esp during summer when its not cycled as much. Icky yucky bacteria can take life in there and smell it up and potentially add to the OP's problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement