Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICS update for HTC sensation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

so did you get the sense 4.0 update as well?

There's a Sense 3.6 preview from Engadget - http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/13/htc-sense-3-6-preview/
    gollywog wrote: »
    Ya but not sense 4.0, sense 3.6....its like a horrible mix of gingerbread sense with the very odd bit of ICS mixed in.

Can you disable system apps? The article above said that HTC left that feature in but that networks might change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Wtf

Why aren't they giving us sense 4.0?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I updated mine this morning. It took about 20 minutes and didn't lose any data.

The only downside I noticed is that now Launcher Pro won't run. It FCs every time.

I don't like HTC Sense either. It's fine but I prefer tweaking more.

I'd recommend anybody with a Sensation buys Beautiful Widgets if they like the HTC Sense type of clock & weather and then buys ADW Launcher EX. You can use this to change amount of icons that you show on your screens. On mine I've turned off icon labels and set the number of rows to 7. It looks great. This should be an option in Sense. I had a Desire HD with Sense beside a Sensation with Sense and they look nearly identical on the screen. With the bigger screen and better screen resolution it makes sense to put an extra row or two of icons on the screen if you want to.

Usability wise ICS isn't a whole lot different from the older versions.
    The settings are updated and there's a few nice tweaks (like data usage limits).
    The mail app is updated.
    The icons that show up at the top of the screen are updated and look a bit sharper.
    The calendar widget is very nice.
    I think the phone feels a bit more responsive. But that's subjective. And it may be due to the fact that I'm not using Launcher Pro anymore and have moved to ADW Ex Launcher.

Anyway the end result is I'm loving my phone even more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

downloaded the new update today on the sensation but i lost my htc sense for facebook in the process now the picture wont show up beside the contacts in messages :( (vodafone)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I updated mine this morning. It took about 20 minutes and didn't lose any data.

The only downside I noticed is that now Launcher Pro won't run. It FCs every time.

I don't like HTC Sense either. It's fine but I prefer tweaking more.

I'd recommend anybody with a Sensation buys Beautiful Widgets if they like the HTC Sense type of clock & weather and then buys ADW Launcher EX. You can use this to change amount of icons that you show on your screens. On mine I've turned off icon labels and set the number of rows to 7. It looks great. This should be an option in Sense. I had a Desire HD with Sense beside a Sensation with Sense and they look nearly identical on the screen. With the bigger screen and better screen resolution it makes sense to put an extra row or two of icons on the screen if you want to.

Usability wise ICS isn't a whole lot different from the older versions.
    The settings are updated and there's a few nice tweaks (like data usage limits).
    The mail app is updated.
    The icons that show up at the top of the screen are updated and look a bit sharper.
    The calendar widget is very nice.
    I think the phone feels a bit more responsive. But that's subjective. And it may be due to the fact that I'm not using Launcher Pro anymore and have moved to ADW Ex Launcher.

Anyway the end result is I'm loving my phone even more now.
    are you suggesting that people remove sense from their phone, then pay for a copy of the sense experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

My battery life seems to be worse and now i have to press the power button 3 or 4 times before the screen comes to life,not liking this update so far!

are you suggesting that people remove sense from their phone, then pay for a copy of the sense experience?

ADW Launcher is not the same as sense. I talked about resizing rows and removing icon labels.

How does that sound like the Sense experience to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

updated mine. i hated my phone. it had the power button problem also it kept taking screenshots when i hit the home button. its cured since the update, and its a bit faster too.i assumed these were hardware problems. happy days so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

all you chappies are on vodafone i take it?

surely 3 wont wait much longer to roll the update out

I had to do a factory data reset with mine,seems to have fixed the power button issue so all good so far,undecided to change to the one x or the xperia s now!

• Advertisement

Now mine is turning itself off constantly,hating the phone at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 philkav

I just checked for the update there. Delighted. Vodafone and Meteor have it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Damn 300mb, have to wait to get home

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Awww, anyone know when 02 will have it?

Edit, just did a manual update check and I think it is available! Sweet! Running off home to wifi now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 imronburgundy

Has anyone with a Sensation on 3 got the update yet? Thinking about unlocking the phone to get it quicker, plus then I wouldn't have all the bloatware from three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'm on 3 but rooted the phone and installed custom rom instead of having to wait.

Rooting was the way to go for me. I get updates from XDA developers. Well worth doing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 imronburgundy

I like rooting things to get most out of them, have done for ipod touch and wii, but don't think I would chance it on Phone as voids warranty. Had to send back to Three twice in the 5 months I have the phone. But just in case can you give me link to the custom rom and advise on rooting please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I started Here

Currently running This Rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

ofcork wrote: »
    Now mine is turning itself off constantly,hating the phone at the moment.

Know the feeling, mine is running a lot slower now, web pages are taking an age to load, battery seems to be draining extra fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

Anyone got the ICS update on o2?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yep, I did a manual update check last night and downloaded it. Seems to be running ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

Zascar wrote: »
    Yep, I did a manual update check last night and downloaded it. Seems to be running ok.

wierd when I do a manul update check I get the no update available message.:mad: They must be rolling it out in phases. Will try again when I get home.

Know the feeling, mine is running a lot slower now, web pages are taking an age to load, battery seems to be draining extra fast.

I updated on Saturday morning. On Sat the battery was diabolical. But it seems to have settled down to normal now (e.g. I charged to about 80)% yesterday at 4 and I'm on 40% now. I also disabled my Live Wallpaper when I saw it was using 10% of my battery.

I was getting the slowness you have too. I did the tip on post 12 of this thread (I set it to 3 processes) and it's going grand again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Updated there, with Meteor. Running 3.6? Are we not getting 4.0?

Laggy, Go Launcher force closing, not much to note apart from that. Sense unlock screen popping up before the Go Launcher unlock screen. Big meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Yeah its available on Meteor now. I presume we'll eventually get Sense 4.0? Seems pointless just going to 3.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yeah its available on Meteor now. I presume we'll eventually get Sense 4.0? Seems pointless just going to 3.6.

That isn't looking likely. Apparently, Sense 4.0 incorporates software and hardware improvements to the camera. Because camera hardware cannot be upgraded, HTC aren't releasing Sense 4 for their older phones -

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/13/htc-sense-3-6-preview/
    Both versions were developed in parallel to each other, which gave us even more reason to initially believe the two would be closer in look and features than they actually were. So what gives? According to HTC, there are a couple reasons: first, users of legacy devices are accustomed to the previous interface, and the upgrade adds the features and benefits of ICS without upsetting that user experience. Second, only the One lineup can support ImageSense, which is an integral part of Sense 4.0. Whether you agree with the reasoning or not, this undeniably leads to further fragmentation of Sense -- something we've already seen to a lesser extent with 3.0 and 3.5 -- and it's not likely to get better anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Is the Sensation an "older phone" now??

Just finished to download there. Very laggy so far.

Yeah it seems so. It's ridiculous how fast things move these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭G1032

I like rooting things to get most out of them, have done for ipod touch and wii, but don't think I would chance it on Phone as voids warranty. Had to send back to Three twice in the 5 months I have the phone. But just in case can you give me link to the custom rom and advise on rooting please?
    Just reflash a stock rom if you need to send it back. I had to send a Galaxy S back twice in quick succession. I had it rooted but just flashed a stock rom. Anyway the phone doesn't go back to the manufacturer 99% of the time and the repair guys don't care if it's rooted or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I updated mine on Thursday when it was available as an OTA update for Vodafone.
    The update process worked fine but initially I hated the update. I found levels
    of lag and serious problems with all functions slowing down compared to previous OS. I spent the weekend looking for options to remove upgrade and searching for workarounds.

I avoided using the browser and email on the phone over the weekend as it was too slow and unresponsive. I'm not sure what has changed over the last two days but the phone is back to normal. Maybe it was rebuilding and re-indexing in the background for the first few days but speed is thankfully back to normal on my handset.

If anyone else is frustrated after updating my advice is to give it a couple of days before passing final judgement.

Advertisement