Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the story with lasers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

In real life, bullets travel from a rifled barrel and due to the power and physics behind them, they tend to travel on a straighter trajectory a lot longer than an airsoft bb. Lasers in this case would be useful as they can be used to overcome the possibility of parralax error in the shooters use of a scope. This wouldn't be such an issue for a trained marksman, but it can help.
    In airsoft, they are pretty much useless in this regard and I have only ever used one to point out a particular target to a team mate who may have a better angle, just like a laser pointer, which is pretty much exactly what it is.
    They are also useful in a CQB environment by indicating to me where NOT to stand ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

TheDoc wrote: »
    Lazers, torches and scopes are for spaz, and just for looks. Its added weight and literally only for looks.

your AEG fires between 70-100 yards, if you cant see that distance, you are going to have issues playing airsoft.

I can see 70-10o yds away, but not accurately (long-sighted). A scope halps with seeing what you're hitting, making adjustments, etc.

tl;dr I'm blind as a bat and scopes make me epic at airsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Puding wrote: »
    visible lasers - do have some real world application but the greatest seems to be intimidation, if you in a stand of situation with police for example and you see a load of dots on you chest people naturally think of all the movies they have seen, people imaginations do all the rest.

Ever see a visible laser in real life? Realms of Hollywood lads. Its just for the effect in films, posters etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

ironclaw wrote: »
    Ever see a visible laser in real life? Realms of Hollywood lads. Its just for the effect in films, posters etc.

Some of the ones here do a good job of being visible
    in Low light conditions:
    http://www.wickedlasers.com

And here shows some different powers nicely.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woiTedSKPrk&feature=related

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

I have one, as it happens. The fact that it is visible is also an indicator of how dangerous it can be. Hence, as per standards, it is key locked and is too bulky to attach to a RIF. I am also familiar with the correct safety procedures in its operation. I would never dream of using it for airsoft and if I ever saw one in use on a site, I would bring it to the site owners attention or leave.

What we generally see in airsoft, is a standard red laser pointer (usually max 5mW) with a pimped out body. Anything stronger would be so far beyond stupidity that I would expect a site ban for whoever used one. Ignorance is not an excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

yes and yes they are played up in Hollywood the same as most things ( silencers anyone ) but they do have practical applications

http://www.taser.com/products/law-enforcement/taser-x3-ecd#features

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

BioHazRd wrote: »
    In real life, bullets travel from a rifled barrel and due to the power and physics behind them, they tend to travel on a straighter trajectory a lot longer than an airsoft bb.

Last time I checked bullets travelled in an ark usually rising above the level of the barrel in the first 300yrd's and then dipping way bellow the barrel between 500 - 600yrd's or at least that's how a NATO 5.56mm round performs in the out of a Styer AUG

If you compare the maximum effective range of a bb to the above, bb's have the more linnier trajectory

Puding wrote: »

yes and yes they are played up in Hollywood the same as most things ( silencers anyone ) but they do have practical applications

http://www.taser.com/products/law-enforcement/taser-x3-ecd#features

Ha silencers! I remember hearing red jacket's integrelly supressed AK measured a whopping 120db :pac: yep deffenately won't hear that at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Jsmurff wrote: »
    Ha silencers! I remember hearing red jacket's integrelly supressed AK measured a whopping 120db :pac: yep deffenately won't hear that at all :rolleyes:

the thing with sound suppressors/ moderators (silencer is a misleading term) is you need the round to subsonic for it to work, so you have 2 options;
    1) use purpose made subsonic ammo
    2) use high velocity ammo and find a way to slow the acceleration of the round and contain the expanding gasses (like a HK MP5 SD works).

• Advertisement

thermo wrote: »
    Jsmurff wrote: »

the thing with sound suppressors/ moderators (silencer is a misleading term) is you need the round to subsonic for it to work, so you have 2 options;
    1) use purpose made subsonic ammo
    2) use high velocity ammo and find a way to slow the acceleration of the round and contain the expanding gasses (like a HK MP5 SD works).

I know and the trouble with subsonic is there's a lot less penetration or stopping power in the round especially with the mp5 which uses pistol ammo if Iam not mistaken

I do believe there was a silencer in Vietnam that was used for the1911 that was effectionately known as the hush puppy and actually silenced the round but was only good for a number of rounds as each shot got louder then the previous

Point is it actually worked to an extent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

I know and the trouble with subsonic is there's a lot less penetration or stopping power in the round especially with the mp5 which uses pistol ammo if Iam not mistaken
    yes but it was designed for covert cqb ops (ct ect) so is only used indoors where it is more than fit for purpose.
    I do believe there was a silencer in Vietnam that was used for the1911 that was effectionately known as the hush puppy and actually silenced the round but was only good for a number of rounds as each shot got louder then the previous
    a hush puppy is a term originally used in vietnam to denote any suppressed pistols, not just the 1911. there was also the S&W MK22 MOD 0 among others.

anywho this is going waaaaaaaay too off topic.

thermo wrote: »
    yes but it was designed for covert cqb ops (ct ect) so is only used indoors where it is more than fit for purpose.
    a hush puppy is a term originally used in vietnam to denote any suppressed pistols, not just the 1911. there was also the S&W MK22 MOD 0 among others.

anywho this is going waaaaaaaay too off topic.

Oh rite cheers

And I think it's safe to say that the majority have come to the conclusion of lasers = useless anoying sh*te :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I can see 70-10o yds away, but not accurately (long-sighted). A scope halps with seeing what you're hitting, making adjustments, etc.

tl;dr I'm blind as a bat and scopes make me epic at airsoft.

the ****...noize makes you epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 illuminated

The law is very patchy,red up to 5mw are legal, (but are very weak power).any green are illegal, although their isnt a specific punishment general, if caught it will be confiscated, if you shine at cars or aircrafts you will recieve a fine of warning.buf the truth is if you get one into the country and use it sensible you wont get into any trouble.

Advertisement