Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers - March 10th. Venue?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

March 16th - Friday
    Just added my votes now. I'll be happy enough to go whatever night it is and meet the gang. How many of you know each other? It'll be all new to me anyway as I don't know anyone here.

Some know each other but lots of others don't

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

March 2nd - Friday
    new one here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

March 17th - Saturday
    Whatever about the venue, can we agree on the date (Mar 10 seems the most popular) so that I can start defending that date in my calendar? Mods - maybe change the title of this thread to confirm the date?

As for a venue, I'd prefer straight (the gay bars are too damn loud) - The Bank was mentioned earlier - but I'll join you fine folk pretty much anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I think I can do March 10th :D

Pub wise I don't mind but I'll stick my vote in for a gay venue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

March 17th - Saturday
    Pubwise I prefer central - like near Stephens green as I gotta walk late. But I can swing it if it's further away. I liked the pubs that allowed one to think!

How far is the bank from Stephens green anyway? Never been.
    The secret was a nice atmosphere. Just a bit on the busy side for groups maybe.
    Is that pub under Tara street dart still there? Haven't been in years but was a lovely place and best of all, not chocka

• Advertisement

March 16th - Friday
    Can't make the 10th after all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    Pubwise I prefer central - like near Stephens green as I gotta walk late. But I can swing it if it's further away. I liked the pubs that allowed one to think!

How far is the bank from Stephens green anyway? Never been.
    The secret was a nice atmosphere. Just a bit on the busy side for groups maybe.
    Is that pub under Tara street dart still there? Haven't been in years but was a lovely place and best of all, not chocka

The Bank is just down on Dame Street/College Green, so 10 minutes from St Stephens Green.

For the Tara DART place - I can't remember the name of it but if it's the pub you walk down a small alley to get to then yes, it's still there. Was absolutely heaving the last time I went though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I'm not gonna be able to make it on the 10th, seeing as I am going down on 17th and need to keep my money for then! But sure maybe if some of the members are about on Paddy's day we could meet up somewhere ourselves, we will probably be in the Dragon at some point so could have a drink and a chat there at the top where it's quieter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

March 16th - Friday
    If we're going for central on a Saturday night... not sure how quiet a place we'll find. My suggestions, as earlier in the thread:

The Bank, Dame St- reserve an area, few tables. Can be a bit busy though, and for booze I believe it can be pricey.

The Workmans, on the Quays- Was there before for a going away party, cheap drink (specially soft drinks!), bit of a barn upstairs but I liked it. Very hipster. Music kicks in loud around 11 (there's a dancefloor upstairs)

Secret Bar, off Georges St- nice atmosphere, can get PACKED later in the night.

Market Bar- again a bit of a barn but not a bad spot. Not sure how busy it gets on Saturdays though. If people don't show up early it might be hard to keep chairs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Intouch9

March 16th - Friday
    Can't make the 10th after all
    I'm out too. Devo.

• Advertisement

March 17th - Saturday
    What about that pub under Stephens green shopping centre? Think its called o sheas or o sullivans. I've only been in there a few times and not on a sat night. Would that be any good? I know it'll be hard to find anywhere that isn't heaving on a sat but maybe a place that's at least ok till 10ish.... ?
    It's that pub down stairs if that helps.

Also theres dandelion on the green too - anyone know what that's like on a sat?

March 2nd - Friday
    Most likely I can/will make it.

Can't really comment on the venue. I haven't been to any of the ones mentioned, so I will come wherever we decide to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dark Chocolate

March 16th - Friday
    Another question. What time will we be meeting at? From my own point of view, and presumably other newbies, I'd like to be able to at least get familiar with some regulars and have a decent amount of good conversation before it gets stupid loud and heaving, and all anyone can hear is 'WHAAA??' across a table multiple times.

March 16th - Friday
    usually 8 is the starting time, but history has shown that people don't show up until an hour or more later, which is very annoying.

(pet peeve of mine!! :o)

March 17th - Saturday
    usually 8 is the starting time, but history has shown that people don't show up until an hour or more later, which is very annoying.

(pet peeve of mine!! :o)
    Ah tardiness!!!

For some reason, that just made me think of this (skip to 0:11 in the video)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

hate exclusion bs like this, are straight people not aloud to make friends to?

March 16th - Friday
    hate exclusion bs like this, are straight people not aloud to make friends to?

Of course, and if you would like to come along please do. Nobody is "not allowed" to come.

We just organise meet ups here that specifically include gay people since it's the LGBT board. It's also much harder for LGBT people to make friends with other LGBT people, because we are a minority. The people posting here have stated as much.

Pretty much every other forum on boards organises their own meet ups/ beers. Those beers are generally meant for users who frequent that forum- you'll get a lot of cyclists at the cycling board beers, you'll get a lot of hairy people (;))at the Facial Hair and Hats meetups, and I don't doubt that the Ladies Lounge beers will be mostly female. Hence, you'll pretty much exclusively find the folks who'll head to the LGBT beers will be gay, bi or trans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dark Chocolate

March 16th - Friday
    What exclusion? There's been no mention of exclusion before your post. This is a night out within this forum, and although being a newbie means I can't speak for the longer term participants, all those who participate are welcome. If you're not a regular member here, it doesn't mean that you're excluded, it just means we don't know that you exist, or are interested in joining in. A vote in the poll when it was open would have helped.

Aahhh... penny dropping time. Is it because it says at the top 'This poll is closed'? That's not to exclude outsiders or 'straight' people, it's only because the timeframe on the poll when it was created has elapsed. No other reason. I don't think a poll can be made to exclude those outside a particular forum, anyway. If I've got it all wrong, then, my apologies. But maybe an explanation of what exclusion you think is being exercised would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

What exclusion? There's been no mention of exclusion before your post. This is a night out within this forum, and although being a newbie means I can't speak for the longer term participants, all those who participate are welcome. If you're not a regular member here, it doesn't mean that you're excluded, it just means we don't know that you exist, or are interested in joining in. A vote in the poll when it was open would have helped.

Aahhh... penny dropping time. Is it because it says at the top 'This poll is closed'? That's not to exclude outsiders or 'straight' people, it's only because the timeframe on the poll when it was created has elapsed. No other reason. I don't think a poll can be made to exclude those outside a particular forum, anyway. If I've got it all wrong, then, my apologies. But maybe an explanation of what exclusion you think is being exercised would be helpful.

I suppose I have to explain myself after getting two very nice replies. I have a slight anger problem with Bi women who tell me they are Bi. I have no interest in other people's sexuality at all. It is when they wear it as a badge of honour, a thing that makes them feel special. There is no reason to tell someone you are Bi even if they are in to you. You just make them worried that not only do I have to compete with all the other single men but your being told "I'm so special I can be anyone I want"

I just want people to stop bragging about being Bi. I say people, in my experience it is mostly women who brag about this. Maybe because they think this makes the men more interested in them. my head hurts now so i'm gona stop

also I am terribly lonely, so sorry for spamming in this thread. I really am.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

March 16th - Friday
    I suppose I have to explain myself after getting two very nice replies. I have a slight anger problem with Bi women who tell me they are Bi. I have no interest in other people's sexuality at all. It is when they wear it as a badge of honour, a thing that makes them feel special. There is no reason to tell someone you are Bi even if they are in to you. You just make them worried that not only do I have to compete with all the other single men but your being told "I'm so special I can be anyone I want"

I just want people to stop bragging about being Bi. I say people, in my experience it is mostly women who brag about this. Maybe because they think this makes the men more interested in them. my head hurts now so i'm gona stop

also I am terribly lonely, so sorry for spamming in this thread. I really am.
    Seriously, deal with your own issues here before telling others how to act.

March 16th - Friday
    MellowToast, please don't bring threads off topic. This is not the place to be dealing with your issues with bisexual women. Feel free to post in PI or start a new thread here, but be aware, another post generalising behaviour from one or two people to "all bi people" will not be tolerated in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

aaaaaaaaaand back on track.

Im afraid I can't make it; I have a gig that night. :(

I hope you guys have fun though. I feel bad that I can't make it but I shouldn't be selfish and you're definitely in good hands with the likes of B&C going.

If any of my fellow March 10th casualties wants to go out one of the Fridays; Pantibar, drinks and chat then message me. If we scrounge up a party of 3 then we can have a mini-meet. And no; I won't be offended if you do want to meet but then change your mind if it turns out only two people are going.

I'll probably not be able to get to Dublin until Paddy's Day weekend like previously planned, but at any point over that weekend (Saturday and Sunday, possibly Monday) I'd be more than happy to meet up with any Boardsies who would like to. :)

March 17th - Saturday
    Is it looking like the tenth is a no goer for most now?

March 16th - Friday
    Nyan Cat wrote: »
    Is it looking like the tenth is a no goer for most now?

The 10th was voted for by;

40040D, azezil, baby and crumble, Conor30, Dark Chocolate, deirdre_dub, Donnaghm, Intouch9, mango salsa, Peadar06, polkabunny, rainbow kirby

Out of that 12 myself and Intouch9 said we can't now make it.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

to late to go changing things now, I say you should still run with it.

March 17th - Saturday
    Ah i thought it was more that originally voted for the tenth that had to change their minds. Looks like its still ok so

March 2nd - Friday
    I haven't actually voted for the 10th, but I can make it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Feb 24th - Friday
    Anyone got an ideas on venues. I don't know anywhere in Dublin, so Baby might be able to help with that one and a pole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement