Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shady Dealer

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

johndoe99 wrote: »
    been following this since beginning, first comment. That Sheriff sounds a right slacker, stating "seems to think he wont find a car registered to him at the address", he won't know until he tries. I'd keep on at him, several times a week.

Excellent.
    So apart from the "you're not allowed to say anything bad about anyone in business, no matter how crooked they are" law that practically prohibits shady dealers to be ousted in this country, the OP has now come up against the usual "Oh Jesus, those guys look shady, I'll run a mile" attitude of any enforcement agency in this country.
    I think I'll just hire a bunch of big and scary looking guys myself, get cars from the scrapper and sell them to an unsuspecting public clocked and with fake service history.
    Because libel laws would protect me from any criticism (and provide a good earner in compensation) and no agancy will touch me as long as I put on a scary enough front.
    Sounds like a good plan to me, because if you're honest in this country, you just get your face ground into the dirt and shat on by the authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Excellent.
    So apart from the "you're not allowed to say anything bad about anyone in business, no matter how crooked they are" law that practically prohibits shady dealers to be ousted in this country, the OP has now come up against the usual "Oh Jesus, those guys look shady, I'll run a mile" attitude of any enforcement agency in this country.
    I think I'll just hire a bunch of big and scary looking guys myself, get cars from the scrapper and sell them to an unsuspecting public clocked and with fake service history.
    Because libel laws would protect me from any criticism (and provide a good earner in compensation) and no agancy will touch me as long as I put on a scary enough front.
    Sounds like a good plan to me, because if you're honest in this country, you just get your face ground into the dirt and shat on by the authorities.

Agree, it is sickening. The law works in favour of bullies and crooks. The Op is a victim of Modern Ireland. Sadly it is not only lack of jobs that is causing young people to leave Ireland, but the whole economic and social meltdown. If one is a crook , they can operate freely in various guises, pop up car sales operations, close them down as quickly when the law is catching up with them and claim they are being libelled. I don't blame the Sheriff in this instance, unfortunately he has limited resources and restraints to work with. He needs the full forces of the Law behind him before tackling these Bullies.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JoeRadd

Hey All,

Just had a call from the sheriff, he popped out to the dealers yard at night and took down a load of REG numbers, he explained to me that the most the sheriff can do is read them out + a name and be told either yes or no as to whether is belongs to that name. Unfortunatley none of them did and the sheriff beleives there is nothing further they can do for me.

At this point i just want to make as much hassle for this dealer as possible, any suggestions?

Also is it legal that the dealer never owned the car and sold it to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Can you prove that ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

How is it the OP isn't allowed to name the dealer here when theres other threads ousting the likes of Motor City on the Naas road

• Advertisement

How is it the OP isn't allowed to name the dealer here when theres other threads ousting the likes of Motor City on the Naas road

Bingo on that one, know what i mean.

Can you prove that ya?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Ah yes, it seems very fishy..

I though naming the garage would be better. Because then people would be aware that they sell heaps of sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 supra300

Was wondering is the motor range?
    the range of lemons sitting on dealer forecourts ,with dodgy engines ,class c wrecks and downright dangerous vehicles , it seems everyone here is now aware of one (unregistered to simi) forecourt in particular which is 2 doors up from a chop shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Tigger wrote: »
    trade sale means business to business
    small claims don't do business to business

I assumed Trade Sale meant that you bought from a registered dealer... as opposed to a private sale between two individuals.

• Advertisement

I assumed Trade Sale meant that you bought from a registered dealer... as opposed to a private sale between two individuals.

yeah,I'm a private individual and he's a sole trader

JoeRadd wrote: »
    At this point i just want to make as much hassle for this dealer as possible, any suggestions?

Order 25 pizzas in his name every hour, every strippogram in the area, dodgy magazines, sign him up for membership in the gay and lesbian alliance, the masons, swinger's club, morris dancers association, make rude phonecalls to dodgy people using his name, call the police under his name and tell them you can't take it anymore and are willing to end it all, sign him up for a makeover with queer eye for the straight guy, call every local club pretending to be him and tell them they can use his premise for their meetings, pledge donations in the millions under his name and then the big guns: Call Jehovas witnesses and the local Scientology chapter under his name and tell them you're burning to hear their message and want to sign up for the lifetime full membership.
    That's for starters, I'm sure I can think of some really nasty sh*t if I put my mind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Order 25 pizzas in his name every hour, every strippogram in the area, dodgy magazines, sign him up for membership in the gay and lesbian alliance, the masons, swinger's club, morris dancers association, make rude phonecalls to dodgy people using his name, call the police under his name and tell them you can't take it anymore and are willing to end it all, sign him up for a makeover with queer eye for the straight guy, call every local club pretending to be him and tell them they can use his premise for their meetings, pledge donations in the millions under his name and then the big guns: Call Jehovas witnesses and the local Scientology chapter under his name and tell them you're burning to hear their message and want to sign up for the lifetime full membership.
    That's for starters, I'm sure I can think of some really nasty sh*t if I put my mind to it.

Remind me never to piss you off;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Why is the sheriff so hung up on seizing one of the motors for sale- could he not seize the feckin portacabin, or is he not allowed to seize items that would hinder the fine upstanding gentleman from carrying on in business?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 supra300

Just a quick update, apparently the sheriff knows the man from another garage in the Naas rd area and he's part of a 'Mafia' style operation where a 'Godfather' gives out cars to a number of garages mostly from the we buy your scrap car deals and gets them to shift them for him. the sheriff is being fairly useless and seems to think he wont find a car registered to him at the address. is there anyway to check out who owns a car from the reg as i think the sheriff isnt arsed.

this is a right cop out on the part of the sheriff he has no problem going in evicting people on foot of mortgage arrear judgements but cant get go down to these cowboy scum and itemize and seize a few bits and pieces to cover your loss, was watching the uk counterparts earlier thats how its done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzFSQHHWeU0

Just a quick update, apparently the sheriff knows the man from another garage in the Naas rd area and he's part of a 'Mafia' style operation where a 'Godfather' gives out cars to a number of garages mostly from the we buy your scrap car deals and gets them to shift them for him. the sheriff is being fairly useless and seems to think he wont find a car registered to him at the address. is there anyway to check out who owns a car from the reg as i think the sheriff isnt arsed.

Soprano Mototrs ? There is something very fishy going on!
    It will be interesting to see how this develops.

supra300 wrote: »
    this is a right cop out on the part of the sheriff he has no problem going in evicting people on foot of mortgage arrear judgements but cant get go down to these cowboy scum and itemize and seize a few bits and pieces to cover your loss, was watching the uk counterparts earlier thats how its done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzFSQHHWeU0

That's because they have proper law-enforcement over there, not the Muppet Show we have here.

Any updates?:)

Any updates?:)

Doubt there ever will be, Irish law enforcement won't go near proper criminals in a million years. The gangsters have the state outgunned, which is cowering in fear, hoping the criminals won't fancy taking the place over, because I'm sure they could.

Ive been down the local Citizens info centre for some free legal advice and it seems my next step is to take it to the district court. i live across the road from it so ill be straight in there but im just wondering what i do now as the dealer has closed or moved, it was Motor City Naas Rd (i assume i can name them now as they are no longer there) but i have hope as it was a sole trader simply changing the business name wont protect him.

Anyone know where he's moved too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

Ive been down the local Citizens info centre for some free legal advice and it seems my next step is to take it to the district court. i live across the road from it so ill be straight in there but im just wondering what i do now as the dealer has closed or moved, it was Motor City Naas Rd (i assume i can name them now as they are no longer there) but i have hope as it was a sole trader simply changing the business name wont protect him.

Can pm you details as dont know if mods will allow me to post up here

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If there will be legal implications it's best to keep names etc to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

biko wrote: »

Thanks biko for confirmation ;)

Thanks Ants09 and for everyone in the thread

Just want to thanks Ants09 and see if any thinks it would be a good idea for me to tell him my plans to take him to district court?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Tbh, I wouldn't be engaging directly with this guy any further.
    Leave it to your solicitor or whoever it is that should notify him officially of any court proceedings that he will be a party to.

biko wrote: »

First of all, I am not arguing with the mods decision, or the need to keep things to PM or critisizing the mod in any way. My comment is related to the general situation in Ireland and biko is a fine mod and I'm sure an outstanding individual and handsome to boot.:D;)
    But to me it's yet another sign of how the crook is protected in Ireland, right to privacy, fair trial, can't say anything damaging about anyone, etc...
    I love Watchdog, the BBC program where they shove a BIG camera into the face of whatever cowboy they're investigating and say "This is Joe Smith of Joe Smith Traders, he is a cowboy and a crook, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HIM!"
    In Ireland Joe Smith could sue for damage to his reputation and loss of earnings, then carry on burning people and cry the battlecry of the scumbag "I Know My Rights!" and "I've Done Nothing Wrong!"
    It's what sometimes makes me despair of this country.

Best wishes with your case. It is appalling that this situation has gone on for so long. It is bizarre, the law actually favours the alleged dodgy trader. Amazingly I watched BBC's Rogue traders this pm, ironically it featured a dodgy car dealership, if the dodgy dealer was named here, Boards and the Poster would be sued for defamation! Yes we are an amazing little country which protects crooks. Meanwhile the injured party can go whistle! Strongly suggest getting a very good solicitor. Best regards:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I love Watchdog, the BBC program where they shove a BIG camera into the face of whatever cowboy they're investigating and say "This is Joe Smith of Joe Smith Traders, he is a cowboy and a crook, DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HIM!"

That all sounds very well but you're conveniently ignoring the fact that probably 101 BBC lawyers have reviewed the evidence before that program was broadcast.

Libel/defamation laws are just as restrictive in the UK as they are here. The difference is that the BBC has more lawyers and deeper pockets than boards.ie so when they (the BBC lawyers) tell Ann Robinson that she can go for the jugular and name cowboys on national TV, they (the BBC lawyers) have their homework done and anyone who takes them on knows that they have very little chance of success in the courts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Agree, it is sickening. The law works in favour of bullies and crooks. The Op is a victim of Modern Ireland. Sadly it is not only lack of jobs that is causing young people to leave Ireland, but the whole economic and social meltdown. If one is a crook , they can operate freely in various guises, pop up car sales operations, close them down as quickly when the law is catching up with them and claim they are being libelled. I don't blame the Sheriff in this instance, unfortunately he has limited resources and restraints to work with. He needs the full forces of the Law behind him before tackling these Bullies.
    I've agreed with most of what Del and Dr Fuzz have said so far, this bit, I have a bit of an issue with. If you're an ordinary joe and they visit you, they have loooaaadddss of vigour and force. If you're thuggy, they get a lot nicer and more reluctant.

I was also a bit taken aback when I recently over-heard errr, obviously totally unfounded:) "rumours" of just who the state are supposedly prepared to do business with when it comes to farming out debt collection work. The lines seem appear obviously aren't seriously, disturbingly blurred between state and crims.. I don't know where people get these ideas from, obviously.

Advertisement