Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Can I ring in drunk? :P

After the FB chat........

No absolutely not :eek::D

Deffo think a phone in could be a laugh

Also maybe talk about the tv series that were about or created by computers

Gave us a little plug over at Retrogamer:D

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33190

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Quote from RG forum (dont know if this is good or bad ):confused:
    I've just listened to half of the 8 bit episode. As far as 'some mates chatting about old games' type podcasts go its not bad at all.

Didn't expect those accents, I've broken a long standing rule to avoid any media with it in. That's no mean feat, as I plan to continue listening

On the plus side we went from 30 or so hits to 70 in one day after i made that post:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

What does he mean by "I've broken a long standing rule to avoid any media with it in"??

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What does he mean by "I've broken a long standing rule to avoid any media with it in"??

Yeah... does he mean accents? Does he normally only absorb media created by robots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DinoRex wrote: »
    Yeah... does he mean accents? Does he normally only absorb media created by robots?

As in loud American youtube reviewers? Yeah, probably.

DinoRex wrote: »

Hey folks, did you get a chance to record the second part of Zelda? Just listened to the first one today, good fun, especially retro defending the CD-i titles. :pac:

@Retr0: Here's a (not too clear) youtube video of the Princess Peach thing Sparks mentioned:

Yep 2nd part is in the bag and should be on its way in the near future.

Glad you enjoyed it m8

Yep. I'll put up part two tomorrow at some point.

• Advertisement

Part 2 never surfaced? :(

Too controversial to release? Did retr0 lose the plot and proclaim the CD-i games best of all? Sparks start rambling off-topic about Boulderdash? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dinorex has been on holidays so he understandably hasn't had the time to put it up or record anymore. Don't worry though Part 2 was recorded straight after Part 1 so it's ready to go when he gets some free time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Still wanna help out with a Darius special if I may!?

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo many Darius games to chat about. Plus the original is Retr0gamer's favourite. He told me he likes it better than that Salmonhamburger game, or whatever it's called it's inferior to Darius anyway. :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dinorex has been on holidays so he understandably hasn't had the time to put it up or record anymore. Don't worry though Part 2 was recorded straight after Part 1 so it's ready to go when he gets some free time.

No probs.
    Pyongyang wrote: »

I'd be interested in hearing you yack on wax lyrical about Darius. See if I can understand what's so great about the series, if anything. ;)

Darius. See if I can understand what's so great about the series, if anything. ;)

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

:eek:

Let me know if my Darius Alpha triplets get a mention :cool:

Steve SI wrote: »
    Let me know if my Darius Alpha triplets get a mention :cool:

Did you get your THIRD copy? WOW! :eek:

You are a very lucky chap! You should take part too, if folk were happy to record a Darius special, your 3 copies of the rarest PC Engine game EVER is definitely something that should be chatted about.

Plus it'll annoy Andrew76 the longer we can ramble on about Darius being better than the Raiden series. ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You are a very lucky chap! You should take part too, if folk were happy to record a Darius special, your 3 copies of the rarest PC Engine game EVER is definitely something that should be chatted about.

Plus it'll annoy Andrew76 the longer we can ramble on about Darius being better than the Raiden series. ;):p

Are they rare because Steve SI is buying them all up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo many Darius games to chat about. Plus the original is Retr0gamer's favourite. He told me he likes it better than that Salmonhamburger game, or whatever it's called it's inferior to Darius anyway. :D

Just tell us when you are free for the podcast when we put the call out. We tailor the podcast to whoever can make it and a shmup one would be good craic. Also as per the zelda episode, disagreements make good listening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It's on its way. I agreed a trade with the person who has it in Japan(they bought it a few weeks ago in a store in akihabara).

• Advertisement

:pac:

We all know vert shmups > hori shmups. Mostly. ;)

Did you hear that ondafly chap call Raiden a button masher? :eek: Watching him play the PCB that time and giving out because there's no auto-fire button made me chuckle. Philistines as retr0 would call yee.

To be fair I don't know enough about the Darius series to critique it. I do think G-Darius looks horrid though whereas that iPad version looked good but too easy and touch controls + shmups are meh. Can't go the PCB route because of the lack of CRTs and I've no decent stick for the Saturn/PCE etc. If there was a decent port or compilation of Darius I or II on the PS1 or 2 then I'd give it a look and use with the Namco, not sure there is though.

Pyongyang:

Y4ukH.jpg

The best way to experience Darius. Play Darius Gaiden and G-Darius. Pretend the others don't exist.

I actually much prefer hori shooters, always have. I feel that there's very little variety in vert ones especially since they went bullet hell.

The exceptions of course are Silvergun and Souky but they play like Hori's turned on their side and are in tate mode. Also like me some Raiden and the horrible toughness of Image Fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I actually much prefer hori shooters, always have. .

Ah man, you're insane!

By far the best shmups are vertical.

You can't really say souky and Radiant Silvergun play like a horizontal games and add them to your 'horizontal games are better' category, they're 100% vertical :p

I remember you saying before you rather horizontal as they're more cinematic - well Souky and Radiant Silvergun are two prime example of cinematic vertical games.

I'm not a big horizontal shmup fan at all. Will play some of them (I really do love Blazing Star) but I just don't find the movement as natural as vertical.

Really not a fan of bullet hell games either by the way. I find their main aim is to make the player look a lot more skillful than they actually are. But that's an arguement for another day :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think part of the problem is the way the brain processes images.
    Widescreen horizontal games look and feel more natural to watch, together with the ubiquitous right to left motion of the backgrounds.
    Vert shooters, on the other hand, feel taller and can be less comfortable for some.
    We evolved to scan the horizon rather than look up...
    Lion, Tigers and Bears rarely attack from the sky, unless you live next door to a genetics lab... then you are plain out of luck my friend.

One other, more possibly relevant, reason is , with a vert shooter, unless you have a rotatable display, or are dumb enough to turn your tv on it's side, you have to sacrifice the borders on either side of the display to game art, so you have this small area to shoot and dodge in, whilst horizontal shooters get the entire screen to play in.

The best way to experience Darius. Play Darius Gaiden and G-Darius. Pretend the others don't exist.

I actually much prefer hori shooters, always have. I feel that there's very little variety in vert ones especially since they went bullet hell.

The exceptions of course are Silvergun and Souky but they play like Hori's turned on their side and are in tate mode. Also like me some Raiden and the horrible toughness of Image Fight.

Please make that Darius podcast happen, dying to hear yourself and pyongyang argue the toss over that! :D

Not sure it has anything to do with the design of our brains. We're just far more used to playing horizontal games than vertical ones, there's much more of them. With shmups I find hori ones much harder to navigate around bullets than with verts. Yet with fighters it's perfectly natural to anticipate a horizontal movement coming towards you - not sure how many vertical fighters are out there but i'd imagine they would be less natural to play. King of Boxer/Ring King is the only one I can think of that asks you to fight in both directions - it definitely feels stranger punching up and down rather than left or right.

And OI!! Turning your tv on it's side is not dumb, it's a necessity for some games. :)

Master of the Universe

I guess it all depends on what you're used to. I find vertical more comfortable to watch at this point as I play then a lot more. The controls are far more neutral. (and more akin to a real joystick in a plane)

Up on the stick is foreward. Down is back. Left is left. Right is right.

With horizontal on the other hand -

Up is up, down is down, forward is right and backwards is left.

Then vertical screen thing isn't always an issue by the way. Souky is a vertical shooter but has a horizontal screen, as is Radiant Silvergun, Mars Matrix etc.

I guess it comes down to which format has the best games. And for me, it is by far vertical. End of. No comparison. You can throw your Gradius V's and Einhander's at me, but they just aren't as good as the best verticals.

@Retr0: who was the chap speaking about the Obscure game in the horror themed podcast? Wasn't atavan was it?

I find once you go vertical most shoot'em up designers only concern themselves with bullet and enemy patterns. There's no environment to make the game tricky or change up how the game is played. You can't change how the game scrolls by going diagonally or else even having the screen scrolling downwards which always leads to tense fish out of water efforts. The only Vert scrollers that really do that well is Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga. In most vert shooters you have free movement around the level while hori's will box you in and change things up a lot more. Again radiant and ikaruga are good vert examples of this but it's hard to come up with more.

It means that while with the vast majority of verts you are just dealing bullet and enemy patterns with Hori's there's a whole lot more elements thrown in there to add variety to the gameplay.

So I say stick your raidens and cave shooters up your arse because none of them are as beautifully designed as the best Hori shooter (except Radiant :) )

And if you want an argument, I'll pre-empt you with my trump card:

R-type is the best designed shoot'em up ever.

There's just far more variety in hori's and variety is the spice of life... except radiant silvergun :)

@Retr0: who was the chap speaking about the Obscure game in the horror themed podcast? Wasn't atavan was it?

Yup it was atavan.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I find once you go vertical most shoot'em up designers only concern themselves with bullet and enemy patterns. There's no environment to make the game tricky or change up how the game is played. You can't change how the game scrolls by going diagonally or else even having the screen scrolling downwards which always leads to tense fish out of water efforts. The only Vert scrollers that really do that well is Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga. In most vert shooters you have free movement around the level while hori's will box you in and change things up a lot more. Again radiant and ikaruga are good vert examples of this but it's hard to come up with more.

It means that while with the vast majority of verts you are just dealing bullet and enemy patterns with Hori's there's a whole lot more elements thrown in there to add variety to the gameplay.

So I say stick your raidens and cave shooters up your arse because none of them are as beautifully designed as the best Hori shooter (except Radiant :) )

And if you want an argument, I'll pre-empt you with my trump card:

R-type is the best designed shoot'em up ever.

There's just far more variety in hori's and variety is the spice of life... except radiant silvergun :)

But here's the thing - the reason you have lots of free movement in a vertical game? Because you're flying! I'd rather soar through the skies in superfast plane/spaceship blowing the crap out of stuff with big guns than spend it underground, boxed into caverns.

I think they have a name for creatures who like dark, cold, confined depths like that. Begins with a T, ends with two Ls :pac:

In all honesty though, the things which annoy me about horizontal shmups seems to be the things you like. I guess we're both looking for a different experience.

Oh and just to reiterate, I'm not a bullet hell lover either. My own personal favourites are non bullet hell vertical games. Things like Raiden1, 2 & DX, MUSHA, Souky, Under Defeat, Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga etc.

Advertisement