Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

So are we including text based adventures tommorow?

Also dont forget the greatest video game love story........

Rockford and Crystal

game-bdxl.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Prince of Persia is a fine choice!

You can even get a bit 'shmuppy' if you fancy it. You've a couple of prominent romantic-tinged shooting games to choose from including:

Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? (Saturn)
    Sexy Parodius (Saturn)
    Shooting Love Trizeal (just for the play on words!)
    Cho Aniki :D

Sure there's a few more you could chuck in there.. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

DinoRex wrote: »
    Recording a valentines special this evening dealing with romance in classic video games.

And then tomorrow I'm recording the Lucas Arts special.

Anyone is welcome to contribute.

I'm working late tonight and tomorrow so that's a no from me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trying to keep it as Retro as possible... but that can be tricky as it's really only in the past 10 years that romance in games have moved beyond rescuing a princess from a castle... even now it's still rare to be more complicated than that.

I'll definitely be talking about the Prince and Farah from Prince of Persia though.

Yeah I've noticed that while looking games up. It's all been very simple rescue the princess stuff until recently.

Will be mentioning a few text based adventures that did it well and dating sims.

Also Prince and Farah in Sands of Time which Uncharted has copied and no where near as well might I add.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah I've noticed that while looking games up. It's all been very simple rescue the princess stuff until recently.

Will be mentioning a few text based adventures that did it well and dating sims.

Also Prince and Farah in Sands of Time which Uncharted has copied and no where near as well might I add.
    I've ripped some Prince of Persia dialogue for inclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Recording a valentines special this evening dealing with romance in classic video games.
    Raging now I'm gonna miss it, Retr0 took some of my ideas instead.

Sera wrote: »

Can get you in over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How about Custer's Revenge?

We all assume he's trying to do the nasty, but it's so pixelated that maybe they're just dancing?

That's pretty romantic stuff right there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well that's an example at how bad it can get :)

Sera wrote: »

Can get you in over the phone.
    That's loads of hassle, I'll get next year's

• Advertisement

You just have to ring up and we'll be on for an hour. It will be like Joe Duffy.

We can ring from the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah Sera, you have to do that, it'll be hilarious.

You can ring up a la Joe Duffy, giving out about the evils of videogames and how they've stolen your boyfriend away. :pac:

'It all started with the videogames Joe, now he's wearing women's clothes!'

Shewer Sheila.

Actually, is that playing okay? The flash player keeps killing Chrome on me for some reason.

I'm listening now and it's playing fine so far, I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just started listening to it myself, with me cat on my lap. Nice choice of intro music too!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Actually, is that playing okay? The flash player keeps killing Chrome on me for some reason.

Downloaded it for the commute to work.

So who is up for the podcast this saturday. 2pm as usual I'm presuming unless Dinorex says otherwise. We're going to see who we have and then tailor the topic around what people we have, think it's fairer that way.

• Advertisement

So who is up for the podcast this saturday. 2pm as usual I'm presuming unless Dinorex says otherwise. We're going to see who we have and then tailor the topic around what people we have, think it's fairer that way.

Have some film festival stuff on... but I should be okay in the afternoon.

Already have episode 5 recorded. Will stick it up later in the week.

Sera had two suggestions, a game music one and a shmup. Just some food for thought. Can't wait to hear the lucas arts one.

I would love to get the 8bit podcast going

Speccy c64 amstrad etc but leave Atari for a seperate time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Really enjoyable podcast as usual. Great to see the topic handled so well actually. All areas of the genre were covered really well and I learnt a good bit, especially about the Catherine launch.

One thing though, Gears Of War is not a shoot em up! :pac:

Didn't think an hour could be filled on the topic. Fair play gents, I really enjoyed it. :)

We actually left loads we wanted to talk about out! :) Glad you enjoyed it, even with my Gears of War gaff and the second one where I called God of War Gears of War :P

Sparks43 wrote: »
    I would love to get the 8bit podcast going

Speccy c64 amstrad etc but leave Atari for a seperate time

Was it you that has played the mother/earthbound games and would you want to do a podcast on it sometime?

mother/earthbound games podcast
    maybe ask Mr Saturn and Pyongyang as well? remember when it got GotW

Well if sparks hasn't played it and it's just us 3 and him then 8-bits might be a good way to go.

Well if sparks hasn't played it and it's just us 3 and him then 8-bits might be a good way to go.

Nope dont know much about that doowhacky

So 8-Bits........

woohoosimpsons.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Would like to pop out to one of these some day. But alas, haven't even had time to listen to the ones so far :( I could potentially make it out this Saturday, but after that my freetime is severely curtailed until at least the end of March!

Advertisement