Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will RG6 do for Sky

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

You should read Watty's posts.

RG6/U is generally used for CCTV. It's not a tight specification. You need to determine the dB loss per metre at 2.25 GHz and the construction of the dielectric and screening.

The description "Digital" in reference to coaxial cable is marketing hype and would worry me. There's obviously no such thing as "digital cable". It's about as meaningful as "digital carrot".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Liameter wrote: »
    It's about as meaningful as "digital carrot".
    :D

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

MYOB wrote: »
    And an installer who does pretty crap jobs, if you think using the "existing cabling" (often antique and cheap at the time) is suitable.

Something which works on the dry day you installed it on isn't guaranteed to work in the wet, when there's leaves on the trees, etc, if you've used crap cables.

Alu braid/foil is crap cables.

If your unprofessional over cables, what other corners get cut?
    How do you know what cables I use??,I dont use rg6 when im doing a sat install.I told the guy that started this thread that he could use it,because in my experience doing service calls it rearly causes any problems.And as for cutting corners "I dont" I have been working in the cable and satellite industry all my life

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

In fairness, bulbs2010 has a point. Not so long ago there was a heated debate on the correct torque to use to put on F-type connectors.

(seriously, there really was :( )

It's amazing the number of installers that don't know that 2-3 newton-meters of torque is recommended for metal fittings. (No more than 1 newton-meter is recommended for connectors mounted to PCB's.) :)

ackd wrote: »
    I want to get Sky in and I want to run the cable myself. I have a roll of RG6. Will this do for Sky?

Cheers

It might, or might not, as Watty says. If money was extremely tight, I'd probably give it a go. However, if not, I'd invest in a satellite grade cable, of known specification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Liameter wrote: »
    There's obviously no such thing as "digital cable". It's about as meaningful as "digital carrot".

Or Digital Aerial.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bulbs2010 wrote: »
    How do you know what cables I use??,I dont use rg6 when im doing a sat install.I told the guy that started this thread that he could use it,because in my experience doing service calls it rearly causes any problems.And as for cutting corners "I dont" I have been working in the cable and satellite industry all my life

Because you stated that using "existing cabling" was OK. If you don't do this, how do you have any opinion of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Just to re-iterate:
    RG6 is a generic term for 1mm inner core double screened coax cable
    RG6U or RG6/U is a generic term for RG6 cable that might be weatherproof.

Without a FULL part number and Manufacturers data sheet it's impossible to say if any RG6 cable is suitable for Satellite IF.

However you can say any of these versions of RG6 are not suitable:
    Metallized plastic for foil
    Aluminium braid (not tinned copper)
    Tinned braid (Tin is VERY much poorer conductor than Al or copper and RF all flows on surface)
    Loose braid that has gaps.

If your RG6 has a full part number starting with RG6U or RG6/U and is copper foil, copper braid (with no gaps) and solid copper inner (not steel plated with copper as LNB takes DC) then it's possibly suitable. Look up the part number.

RG6 or RG6/U or RG6U is NOT a cable type or specification. It's simply a US designation of a particular size of 75 Ohm cable (1mm inner core wire), a family of cables such as XX100 is a 1mm core cable where XX can be any two letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

NewHillel wrote: »
    It's amazing the number of installers that don't know that 2-3 newton-meters of tongue is recommended for metal fittings. (No more than 1 newton-meter is recommended for connectors mounted to PCB's.) :)

how do you know, have you done a survey of installers TONGUES ?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭moro_original

It's amazing the number of installers that don't know that 2-3 newton-meters of tongue is recommended for metal fittings. (No more than 1 newton-meter is recommended for connectors mounted to PCB's.) :)

Quality! :D

I think I actually lost sleep not knowing if my own F-type connectors were tightened to the correct torque! :D

• Advertisement

Why is there an up thumb and no down thumb?
    If we don't seem red limes, wee assume hat everything is spelt correctly.
    Auto correction when you are tired is nasty too.

Because you stated that using "existing cabling" was OK. If you don't do this, how do you have any opinion of it?
    what are you talking about,? cant understand your reply:confused:

Quality! :D

I think I actually lost sleep not knowing if my own F-type connectors were tightened to the correct torque! :D

You could say I was talking tongue in cheek. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

what are you talking about,? cant understand your reply:confused:

My reply is very clear.

You said the "existing cabling" is generally OK for satellite downlinks. How could you know this unless you're doing a shoddy job and using it?

You could say I was talking tongue in cheek. :D

And I thought you meant fancy American stuff from Blonder Tongue :D
    http://www.blondertongue.com/

How could you know this unless you're doing a shoddy job and using it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology

:D

My reply is very clear.

You said the "existing cabling" is generally OK for satellite downlinks. How could you know this unless you're doing a shoddy job and using it?
    I do lots of service calls I come accross lots of different problems,and generally the existing cable is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

By "ok" do you mean that the cable appears to be in good condition or that it was fit for purpose in the first place?

By "ok" do you mean that the cable appears to be in good condition or that it was fit for purpose in the first place?
    well if it worked fine before and the cable appears to be in good condition more that lightly its still"ok"and something else may be causing the problem.

generally the existing cable is ok.

Worked for what? MMDS IF, UHF TV and Satellite IF are three quite different bands.

Unless there is a part number on the cable how do you know? Or have you got €5,000 worth of test gear?

• Advertisement

I do lots of service calls I come accross lots of different problems,and generally the existing cable is ok.

So how do you know that the existing cable is poor quality then?

You're not digging yourself out of this very successfully.

All the "existing cable" in my house is WF100-type, as I installed it myself; all the existing cable in my parents house is the same as it was done by myself or a competent installer.

What would you recommend for a 2m HDMI cable?

What would you recommend for a 2m HDMI cable?

Once you've got your F Connectors all torqued up properly, I'd recommend one of these HDMI 1000HD Ultimate High Speed HDMI Cables. (Or you could try, Tesco, Aldi, LIDL, local € euro store...)

Your tongue is poking out your ear now :D

Because the "spec" for the high speed data part of HDMI cable for up 8m or 15m (I forget which) is the same as Screened Cat5e.

Digital Satellite, Cable and Terrestrial on a coax are actually complex modulated Analogue signals. HDMI is a really digital signal on four twisted pairs, plus some slower signalling wires

Dunnes have them too at adequate quality. SCART and VGA both need far more inherently expensive cable than HDMI, especially any length of VGA (Analogue signal from 50Hz up to 300MHz).

Once you've got your F Connectors all torqued up properly, I'd recommend one of these HDMI 1000HD Ultimate High Speed HDMI Cables.

But how can I sleep knowing that there is a HDMI 1001HD out there mocking me and my loose connectors! :D

How can I tell when my cabling is inadequate when my television picture stubbornly refuses to cause me problems!!! WHY!!! :P

So how do you know that the existing cable is poor quality then?

You're not digging yourself out of this very successfully.

All the "existing cable" in my house is WF100-type, as I installed it myself; all the existing cable in my parents house is the same as it was done by myself or a competent installer.
    my days of digging are over I left "cmi cable tv" years ago.Now im off to work to do more" shoddy work", lovely day for roofs:mad:

How can I tell when my cabling is inadequate when my television picture stubbornly refuses to cause me problems!!! WHY!!! :P

That would be an ecumenical matter. :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Here is an educational read on cables, from Bill Wright.

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I was speaking to an installer who said the reason he uses RG6 as opposed to WF100 was the former is more compatible with the amp/distribution system he uses (manufacturer sounded something like Telaviv?)

My spidey senses told me that sounded like guff, is there any merit to it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

The manufacturer would be Televes (with an accent - but I can't recall where!) Maybe Televès?

And it's complete and utter codswallop.

Advertisement